PDA

View Full Version : Region I Game of the Week (6): Iowa Park @ Burkburnett

LH Panther Mom
10-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Iowa Park Hawks travel to Burkburnett to play the Bulldogs in this district 6 matchup. The Hawks lost the first two games of the season to Argyle and Abilene Wylie but have been on a roll since, with a 4-2 record. The Bulldogs come into the game 5-1 with their only loss coming at the hands of the Decatur Eagles in zero week.

Thoughts/predictions?

fury900
10-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Iowa Park
AT ARGYLE(4-1) L 16-40
ABILENE WYLIE (4-2) L 7-21
AT CHILDRESS (3-1) W 34-33
AT GAINESVILLE (1-4) W 36-18
BRIDGEPORT (0-5) W 44-34
COMANCHE (2-4) W 38-20

BURKBURNETT
Decatur (5-0) L 10-21
Gainesville (1-4) W 37-0
Springtown (2-4) (1-1) W 41-31
Wichita Falls High (2-3) (1-1) W 28-25
Addison Trinity( 0-1?) W 33-8
Clyde (3-3) W 30-6

Iowa Park 38 @ BURKBURNETT 24

jlwzz
10-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Glad you changed your mind this should be a good game, but Burk is on a roll and I P better bring there best this week

Good luck to both teams!!!!

RMAC
10-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Burk by 7.

sweetwater07
10-09-2006, 09:02 PM
wow..there must not be any good games in region one this week

Macarthur
10-09-2006, 09:53 PM
why? because sweetwater wasn't picked?

wildstangs
10-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07

Sweetwater doesn't have to be picked every week. Iowa Park VS. Burkburnett is probably a battle between two teams that will be going to the playoffs.

Stownhorse
10-09-2006, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
why? because sweetwater wasn't picked?

just cause he said that means he is pissed cuz s'water didnt make it? no, he knows that sweetwater vs. comanche isnt worthy of GOTW...Im pretty sure '07 has a brain lol

NateDawg39
10-10-2006, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
just cause he said that means he is pissed cuz s'water didnt make it? no, he knows that sweetwater vs. comanche isnt worthy of GOTW...Im pretty sure '07 has a brain lol I sometimes wonder...:thinking: :thinking:

RMAC
10-10-2006, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by sweetwater07

They'll probably both make the playoffs. Sorry the Sweetwater-Comanche battle that'll be over after the first half isn't on there. People don't realize that 2 teams don't have to be good to have a good game. Ever see Harvard-Yale? They SUCK but it's always a good game w/ 2 teams that always want to be the winner. Macarthur, hasn't IP been playing Burk for a while? We could call this the battle of I-44.

injuredinmelee
10-10-2006, 08:54 AM
name some of your older Burk players from the past...

the hightower Brothers in Basketball. Clarence played football in jr. high. What ever happened to them?

Skip Hicks. UCLA and I think all 32 NFL teams.

Ernie Cook. That kid was tough. Wonder what happened to him?

Miller Spesard. Great all around athlete.

By the way I think burk might have too much talent for the Hawks. Though it seems IP is playing better, but I am not convinced it isnt that they were playing teams that arent that good. Burk by 10.

Macarthur
10-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Burk generally always has more talent than IP, especially speed.

What this game will come down to is big plays. If IP can make Burk drive the length of the field, IP should win. IP is much more accustomed to a grind it out type of game. If Burk gets loose, IP can not catch Nate Brown. Burk should win, but don't count the Hawks out because they almost always play teams that are bigger and faster.

Send_the_House
10-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Burk in a blowout...

Have any of you actually seen these two teams play?

injuredinmelee
10-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Send_the_House
Burk in a blowout...

Have any of you actually seen these two teams play?
I have seen one and seen tape of the other. Thanks for asking.

VWG
10-10-2006, 09:20 PM
This game could end up with about 500 total yards rushing.
Burk switched to the option attack this year after spending the last few years in the spread offense.
Iowa Park runs the Wing T but will spread it out if needed.
Burk has a great RB in Nate Brown. Iowa Park will have to stop him to win, as he is the key to the Dogs offense.

I think Burk wins this one by 10 pts.
Burk 27 Iowa Park 17

GreenMonster
10-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
name some of your older Burk players from the past...

the hightower Brothers in Basketball. Clarence played football in jr. high. What ever happened to them?

Skip Hicks. UCLA and I think all 32 NFL teams.

Ernie Cook. That kid was tough. Wonder what happened to him?

Miller Spesard. Great all around athlete.

By the way I think burk might have too much talent for the Hawks. Though it seems IP is playing better, but I am not convinced it isnt that they were playing teams that arent that good. Burk by 10.

Hightowers- I have no idea. They played college ball somewhere and I lost track of them.

Skippy is still in North Carolina after his last stint in the NFL with the Panthers. Have no idea what he's doing.

Ernie played ball at West Texas A&M and then played Semi-Pro with the WF Drillers. Drillers won 2 or 3 national Semi-Pro titles with Rider HS's coach Scott Ponder pulling double duty as OT and Head Coach. I think Ernie is done playing now and works for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice Allred Unit that is located between IP and Burkburnett.

Miller Spessard - Wow! I forgot all about this dude. GREAT, I repeat, GREAT HS athlete. Dude could do it all. Started both ways for Burk in a 4A district and handled all of the kicking duties, he never came off the field. Throw in his abilities as a SS on the baseball team, midfielder on the soccer team, hurdler on the track team, and it all adds up to one heck of a ball player. I think he played college baseball but I have no idea where he is now or what he is doing. Thanks for the trip down memory lane Injured. I haven't thought about Miller Spessard and his abilities in years.

My prediction- throw the records out the window and forget about who's supposed to beat who in this one. This is a rivalry game that has been played annually for all of my life, my father's life, and quite possible his father's life. These two teams/schools/towns do not like each other. IP has yet to see an option attack, but Burk has yet to play anyone that will pound on them the way IP will on Friday night either. I gotta agree with MacArthur, keep the Dogs in check and don't give up the big play they might just run out of gas come 4th quarter time. Let the Dogs bust off the big play and IP will have a long night. Should be a VERY physical football game, just the way we like it up here in the Red River Valley........SMASHMOUTH BABY! IP better get out of the blocks faster than last week for sure.

44INAROW
10-10-2006, 11:23 PM
Not knowing anything about either team, I voted for Iowa Park, just to support Green Machine's team :D

EricDraven
10-11-2006, 12:45 PM
SHould be a good game. IP has really improved. Burk may have too much speed, though. I'll take the 'Dogs, 27-17.

westcoast54
10-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Burk will win may not be a blowout, but they will win. Vernon has the week off and Graham plays an improved Hirschi team. Who wins that one?

Cameron Crazy
10-11-2006, 03:37 PM
I'm going with Burk on this one!!

VWG
10-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by westcoast54
Burk will win may not be a blowout, but they will win. Vernon has the week off and Graham plays an improved Hirschi team. Who wins that one?

Hirschi's new coach has them on the right track. In several past posts this board has "reminisced" about Hirschi's past success in 4A. This new coach has put W's on the board for Hirschi, even though it has come against some lackluster teams. But hey, 5-1 record coming into the Graham game... who would have guessed Hirschi would be at 5-1 at this stage of the season? Hirschi, as usual, has talent at the skill positions and they got their starting QB (Berry) back after an eligibility issue was cleared up.
Graham... well they were young last year, and this year they are even younger. Two freshman starting at skill positions, QB and WR. They lose their returning all-dist. outside linebacker for the year due to injury, and their offense hasn't scored more than 15pts all season. But... it's district that is starting and Graham could get things cranking this week.
This will be an interesting game. Hirschi's wins are wins... but not that impressive. Their one loss, against Breckenridge, was a blowout loss. Which Hirschi team shows up? They have committed like 15 turnovers or close to it. Which Graham team shows up? The one that held Monahans to 7 pts. and rushed for over 200 yards.... or the one that relies on a freshman QB to make plays because they can't run the ball.
Too close to call on this one.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-11-2006, 10:18 PM
I'll go with Burk in this game of the week. I think it will be a close game and you just never know with these two teams.

Odis
10-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Het ta say it but Burk by at least 14.....

injuredinmelee
10-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Odis
Het ta say it but Burk by at least 14.....

You gonna stop and get ya some Old Milwaukee on the way? If i was in town I would have to spend the day at River Creek then head to the game. I would do that but i have a golf tourney here tomorrow.

Odis
10-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Dang it, melee, I'm a Natural Light man!!! It's what all us awl field trash drink!!!

Phantom Stang
10-12-2006, 05:30 PM
If this game were played in week 10, I'd go with the Hawks. However, I don't think they've quiite hit their stride, so I'm picking Burk.

GreenMonster
10-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
If this game were played in week 10, I'd go with the Hawks. However, I don't think they've quiite hit their stride, so I'm picking Burk.

I think you hit the nail on the head Phantom. I think there would be a different outcome if IP had a few more weeks to improve. Come play-off time, IP will be there and will be bringing it hard core. Ma, great pick. It was battle to the end.