PDA

View Full Version : Is "Balance" overrated?

crabman
10-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Arguably the two most balanced teams in 3A are Cuero and Wimberly.

Cuero Rushing - 1238 yards Cuero Passing - 1204 yards. #2 total offense ranking.

Wimberly Rushing - 1049 yards Wimberly Passing - 1142 yards. #5 in total offense.

Teams like Sweetwater, Liberty Hill, and Giddings will be in trouble when they meet a team in the playoffs that can gear up for the run.

Teams like Groesbeck or Argyle will be in trouble against a good pass defending team.

Gilmer is 2:1 passing while Midland Greenwood is 3:1 rushing. It just seems to me like a team that can do both well will be able to adapt better during the playoffs.

Another interesting stat. Cuero has had between 405 and 420 yards of offense in all six games this year. That is consistency.

Cameron Crazy
10-08-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by crabman
Arguably the two most balanced teams in 3A are Cuero and Wimberly.

Cuero Rushing - 1238 yards Cuero Passing - 1204 yards. #2 total offense ranking.

Wimberly Rushing - 1049 yards Wimberly Passing - 1142 yards. #5 in total offense.

Teams like Sweetwater, Liberty Hill, and Giddings will be in trouble when they meet a team in the playoffs that can gear up for the run.

Teams like Groesbeck or Argyle will be in trouble against a good pass defending team.

Gilmer is 2:1 passing while Midland Greenwood is 3:1 rushing. It just seems to me like a team that can do both well will be able to adapt better during the playoffs.

Another interesting stat. Cuero has had between 405 and 420 yards of offense in all six games this year. That is consistency. I agree with you!!

Gobbla2001
10-08-2006, 02:23 PM
they also have 1207 yards walking into the endzone... that's balance right there (jk folks)

KL3
10-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Crabman, what site do you use to get your stats?

SintonFan_inAustin
10-08-2006, 03:44 PM
its more how teams matchup, some teams might be weaker against the pass so it be better to pass on them and some are weak against the run so u pount the ball at them.

crabman
10-08-2006, 04:10 PM
www.thsca.com click on the "pressbox" tab.

wimbo_pro
10-08-2006, 09:33 PM
Crabman....great analysis, and I agree with you. A more balanced attack has a better chance of making adjustments and overcoming a problem while in the club house at halftime. But of course this is all dependent on the same thing all teams are dependent on...good coaching and better execution of the game plan.

Of course we ALL know Gilmer will win everything, so that blows the theory out of the water, right? LOL

SWMustang
10-08-2006, 09:42 PM
I agree. Sweetwater runs the football better than anyone in Region 1. But when you get in the playoffs (playing teams that match or exceed your athletes) you'll get beat.