PDA

View Full Version : The Spread is Dead

PPHSfan
10-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Been saying it for over a week now.

Yall better jump on the wagon if you wanna be right with me.

DC's have it figured out.

Cameron Crazy
10-07-2006, 11:09 PM
DC's??:thinking:

Bulldog_12
10-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan

The only reason its dead is because quarterbacks like Graham Harrell run it, and he SUCKS!:mad: Cant you read? Its all Harrells fault.

Cameron Crazy
10-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
The only reason its dead is because quarterbacks like Graham Harrell run it, and he SUCKS!:mad: Cant you read? Its all Harrells fault. i know man harrells sucks so bad "put a new qb in there man and give the tech's d some credit"

PPHSfan
10-07-2006, 11:10 PM
The only reason its dead is because quarterbacks like Graham Harrell run it, and he SUCKS!:mad: Cant you read? Its all Harrells fault.

Read what? Did you type something that a genius like myself woud read?:rolleyes:

Bulldog_12
10-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
i know man harrells sucks so bad "put a new qb in there man and give the tech's d some credit"

Exactly, I was just getting to that point. But i needed about 20 minutes to think of a way to say it that is slightly rediculous and makes a jab at someone else.

Cameron Crazy
10-07-2006, 11:12 PM
no read the Graham Harrell sucks thread!! It will explain itself!

Cameron Crazy
10-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Exactly, I was just getting to that point. But i needed about 20 minutes to think of a way to say it that is slightly rediculous and makes a jab at someone else. lol i bet i know who that someone is lol!!!!

PPHSfan
10-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Yall act like Tech is the only team that runs the spread. LOL

The Spread is Dead.

Tech is just a by-product of the death.

Bulldog_12
lol i bet i know who that someone is lol!!!!

Nobody in particular, I am a peace loving person and I SHOW COMPASSION:mad:

Cameron Crazy
Yall act like Tech is the only team that runs the spread. LOL

The Spread is Dead.

Tech is just a by-product of the death. lol!!!:D

Old Tiger
10-07-2006, 11:52 PM
They don't run the true spread.

NateDawg39
10-07-2006, 11:58 PM
So what comes after the spread? Will there be a more "new age" type offense to take its place?

Bulldog_12
10-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
So what comes after the spread?

robots man, robots

Old Tiger
10-08-2006, 12:01 AM
No it will just cycle back through.

football4life
10-08-2006, 12:03 AM
um wait, missouri runs the spread....looked ok

Bulldog_12
10-08-2006, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by football4life
um wait, missouri runs the spread....looked ok

Only because Graham Harrell was on the other side, and he looked so pathetic that Mizzou looked GREAT.:D

Old Tiger
10-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Teams like Missouri and Florida run the true spread.

Ranger Mom
10-08-2006, 12:08 AM
DC's??:thinking:

I know!! I know!!

DEFENSIVE COORDINATORS!!!

Am I right?? Huh? Huh? Am I??

DU_stud04
10-08-2006, 12:19 AM

i can stop the spread as well king....:D

DU_stud04
10-08-2006, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
No it will just cycle back through.
i think a hybrid of the veer:D

just my two cents

SintonFan
10-08-2006, 12:23 AM
I can't stand Florida, fluoridated water and Miami or Miasmas. Mizzoo has a lot of Texas boys on their squad at least.

PPHSfan
10-08-2006, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I know!! I know!!

DEFENSIVE COORDINATORS!!!

Am I right?? Huh? Huh? Am I??

woo hoo wtg mom.

GreenMonster
10-08-2006, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Teams like Missouri and Florida run the true spread.

If you think Florida runs a true spread you just don't know what a true spread offense is all about. Hawaii runs a true spread offense out there under June Jones. June is a Mouse Davis deciple. Mouse Davis invented the Spread offense. Florida runs a hybrid offense that is a combination of the Air Force wing-bone and the spread. Pretty fun offense to watch in my opinion. I think the next evolution of the game will be more of these hybrid offenses. OC's out there are smart enough to figure out ways to evolve their playbook. I'd love to see a hard charging power-rushing attack out of the spread. Use the spread look as a threat and take advantage of a defense by pulling all of their extra defenders out of the box. The wide splits most spread teams use will take the D-Line out of the picture as far as tackles go and it will put huge stress on the linebackers to really fill the gaps hard. Get this going and that opens up the underneath passing game over the middle. Get both things rolling and confuse the LB's to the point that they have no idea what is coming next. You're also going to start seeing some more throw-back offenses. (Bone, Veer, Wing-T) I think this will occur because it really gives you an advantage if what you do is something that the defense across the ball hasn't seen all year. Notice the success that Army, Navy, and Air Force have had over the past 10 years by running the antique option based offenses even though they are out-manned in almost every game they play.

sahen
10-08-2006, 02:07 AM
baylor is running the spread this year and we r 2-0 in conference sor far :)

Txbroadcaster
10-08-2006, 02:13 AM
To say a general statement such as the spread is dead is an EXTREME REACH mainly because the spread has already evolved into many diff styles

As mentioned Hawaii runs a true throwing Spread O that TTech runs.

Florida runs a spread that has alot of the option in it.

Texas...yea TEXAS runs the spread offense, and they mix the power running game with diff style of passes.

So in all reality the "Spread" offense is nothing more than a base offense now that you can do a variation of things off of depending on the QB, and the philosophy of the OC.

I dont think it will truly ever be "dead" The I-Formation is not dead, and it has been used for a long long time. The Spread will always be used by some team somewhere.

PPHSfan
10-08-2006, 02:28 AM
Well the phrase "The Spread must Evolve" Does not rhyme like "The Spread is Dead" so just back off ok? And get on the wagon.:p

Pudlugger
10-08-2006, 08:29 AM
Well the phrase "The Spread must Evolve" Does not rhyme like "The Spread is Dead" so just back off ok? And get on the wagon.:p

LOL

This is an interesting thread PPHSfan. As I see it the spread works best if the qb is the best athlete, capable of running the ball as well as passing it. Vince Young is the archtype of such an athlete. The O line has to big, check that, huge. They need to be able to block the defensive tackles and ends effectively from the crouched position backing and moving to the outside to allow the qb time to check off the receivers. On running plays, they need to open holes from this set which requires great strength. Many teams try to run the spread without a dominant O line and pay the price: interceptions, sacks and failed draw plays and busted option stuff. Of course having good receivers who can outrun the dbs helps too. Finally, the offensive coordinator needs to be capable of mixing up the plays keeping the lbs off balance and wearing down the dbs on pass coverage setting up the running game. Texas Tech was plain out played by a better Mizzou team, the problem is not the spread.

Bullaholic
10-08-2006, 09:04 AM
One-dimensional offenses of any kind will always be "dead" whether they be "spread" or "3-yds and a cloud of dust." The combo of DC's getting more used to defensing wide-open offenses and the increase in speed and athletic ability of the players, has contributed to the lack of effectiveness of the spread. This point is most dramatic in the pros, where it doesn't matter what offense you run---the athletic ability of the defensive players has risen to the level of their being able to stop any offense. It boils down to how well the OC outguesses the other team's DC and vice-versa. To win consistently in the modern game--you have to be able to call the right formations a high-percentaqge of the time---and a little "luck" like players falling down, and blowing assignments helps things, too.

Pudlugger
10-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Good point. As defenses get better any offensive scheme becomes less effective. The secret is to keep the D guessing and not become predictable. The spread does allow for a wealth of variations in both running and passing the football. I like how it taxes the defenders, especially the dbs who have to cover the receivers on deep routes play in and play out. Eventually the ball will get thrown after the db gets burned on one of these routes. It is interesting to speculate on what the next big thing in offenses will be. As athletes get better new schemes are invented to defeat the defenses.

injuredinmelee
10-08-2006, 10:10 AM
How much of Techs demise is the loss of Tareuan Henderson?

PPHSfan
10-08-2006, 01:24 PM
This is not a TECH THREAD!!!!

It is a SPREAD THREAD

Tech does not rhyme with Thread.

SPREAD rhymes with THREAD.

carter08
10-08-2006, 01:48 PM
Over time, defenses can figure mout the weaknesses to every formation and style. Things must change

Cameron Crazy
10-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Buckeyes!!

Gobbla2001
10-08-2006, 02:32 PM
people will try and copy-cat Liberty-Hill... problem is a lot are, they just can't do it like those boys can...

the next big offense will be the Y-stack...

what is the Y-stack you might ask?

It doesn't matter because it does not rhyme with bed... :D

Old Tiger
10-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
people will try and copy-cat Liberty-Hill... problem is a lot are, they just can't do it like those boys can...

the next big offense will be the Y-stack...

what is the Y-stack you might ask?

It doesn't matter because it does not rhyme with bed... :D I heard Greg Davis was at a LH practice learning the system :D

slpybear the bullfan
10-08-2006, 05:13 PM
The spread is alive and well in High School. And it will continue to prosper as long as you have 15, 16, 17, and 18 y.o. high school kiddos back there trying to play cornerback or safety.

I have said it as long as I have been on the board.... Toughest position on the field at the HS level is CB. Especially when you play a team that has any kind of coordination 'tween QB and receivers... And I would say thay 7 on 7 will just keep making that coordination get better and better.

Gobbla2001
10-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
The spread is alive and well in High School. And it will continue to prosper as long as you have 15, 16, 17, and 18 y.o. high school kiddos back there trying to play cornerback or safety.

I have said it as long as I have been on the board.... Toughest position on the field at the HS level is CB. Especially when you play a team that has any kind of coordination 'tween QB and receivers... And I would say thay 7 on 7 will just keep making that coordination get better and better.

7 on 7 doesn't help your defensive backs with coverage or something?

slpybear the bullfan
10-08-2006, 05:58 PM
It does... but it just makes WRs and QBs that much better.

Let me put it another way... If you take 4 or 5 tall fast kids and have them run routes every play, and all of them know where the qb will put the ball, each and every time.... then you are expecting miracles in finding 5 or 6 kids to cover in most HS talent pools today.

I have been able to watch a lot of spread teams and games played. And when you have a decent crop of atheletes on your offense, you will be hard pressed to stop them. Not that you can't and it doesn't happen... but it is very hard to do.

BTW, I believe good running offenses are just as deadly... I just think you are better suited in most HS's to defend it.

Gobbla2001
10-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
It does... but it just makes WRs and QBs that much better.

Let me put it another way... If you take 4 or 5 tall fast kids and have them run routes every play, and all of them know where the qb will put the ball, each and every time.... then you are expecting miracles in finding 5 or 6 kids to cover in most HS talent pools today.

I have been able to watch a lot of spread teams and games played. And when you have a decent crop of atheletes on your offense, you will be hard pressed to stop them. Not that you can't and it doesn't happen... but it is very hard to do.

BTW, I believe good running offenses are just as deadly... I just think you are better suited in most HS's to defend it.

I see your point, but when you play against teams that DO have athletes that can suit up and play in the secondary against a spread it is harder TODAY than it was yesterday for it to be as successful...

maestro
10-08-2006, 07:58 PM
the spread offense must have a quarterback that is a threat to run....

a straight drop back passer does not put stress on the defense....

this is not a tech thread...but my two cents worth is that tech's qb has to be at LEAST a threat to scramble and run.

think, and i know that this is getting old, vince young.....

or now a days....florida university.....or even dare i say, the aggies at college station......MOBILE quarterbacks make the spread go!!

want to really stop the spread o??

ask dumont at rice consold.

does a super job!!

bulldogman06
10-08-2006, 08:08 PM
you think cb is the hardest position in high school football? what about D-end? all the reads you have to make, plus you sometimes drop into coverage, and sometimes you have the flats, its like playing both DT and LB. most people i have heard have agreed that at the high school level, DE is the toughest

slpybear the bullfan
10-08-2006, 09:59 PM
I agree that it is harder to play DE than it used to be... but I still believe, (if you play against the spread or big air it out teams) that CB is the toughest position. I have seen many a young man out on that island get "taken to church" all night long.

bulldogman06
10-08-2006, 10:05 PM
yea, maybe if you are playin the spread, but out of the teams we usually played only 2 or 3 teams used the spread, and one of them was us. playing DE against LH would be a nightmare