PDA

View Full Version : interesting article about rushing record last week

lostaussie
10-07-2006, 10:29 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/05/AR2006100501978.html

please post your thoughts!!!!!!

PPHSfan
10-07-2006, 10:38 AM
It's a two sided sword.

As I have said before. I have seen some RB's that if allowed to do so could rush for over 1000 yards in a single game.

District303aPastPlayer
10-07-2006, 10:44 AM
I honestly don't have a problem with it. the kid had talent and the coach was tryin to get him a scholarship. i DO however have a problem with the opposing team just walking off the field. Its not Matewans fault that Burch can't stop the run. This is the same as the LH game 2-3 weeks ago. and its not like they were throwing 80 yard bombs. They just ran the ball... if it took them one play to score... Burch got the ball back... they didn't score... dont blame Matewan. This is just another case of sissyfying American Youth

Tres Lobos
10-07-2006, 11:13 AM
What happened again?

District303aPastPlayer
10-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Tres Lobos
What happened again?

guy went buck wild and ran for over 600 yards in ONE game

Tres Lobos
10-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Did the other team get mad and just walk off the field? and dang thats alot of yards

Blastoderm55
10-07-2006, 11:22 AM
They went straight to the locker room at the end of the game instead of meeting for handshakes. Instead of complaining like a lil <expletive>, they could have just sucked it up and tried to stop the guy from running all over them.

PPHSfan
10-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Why don't yall just read the friggin article?

LOL

Tres Lobos
10-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Oh ya thats just bad sportsmanship.

Blastoderm55
10-07-2006, 11:26 AM

Yeah, but from their point of view, they saw being lit up for that much by the first team offense to be bad sportsmanship as well, though in a community that small they probably only had a first team anyway. :p

Adidas410s
10-07-2006, 11:28 AM

What is it when the other team is going to a no huddle offense and (the worse part) that they didn't field punts and let the ball roll backwards so they could have more yards for the kid to run for.

Gobbla2001
10-07-2006, 11:31 AM
"Who are you?"

"I'm the guy who rushed for 658 yards agaisnt a buncha pansies"

gotta be proud of that...

My problem is the second stringer sitting down while you show favoritism toword another kid... who could have gotten injured... nothing against the kid, he did what the coach wanted him to, but it would have been mildly funny had he gotten injured for the year (something small)...

Gobbla2001
10-07-2006, 11:34 AM
not funny for the kid, but for the coach just to clear my thoughts up on that one...

The record books would change every game if every team decided to do stuff like that... I know a buncha teams who could meet up with a softy and accomplish things like this...

football is not about individual records, it's about teams, and this coach was not thinking about his team in two major ways...

lostaussie
10-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan

LOL :clap::clap:

99IHSMustang
10-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
"Who are you?"

"I'm the guy who rushed for 658 yards agaisnt a buncha pansies"

gotta be proud of that...

My problem is the second stringer sitting down while you show favoritism toword another kid... who could have gotten injured... nothing against the kid, he did what the coach wanted him to, but it would have been mildly funny had he gotten injured for the year (something small)...

Most top records in any state are made by a good team that plays a poor team.

wimbo_pro
10-07-2006, 11:50 AM
The coach of the winning team should be ashamed of himself. You can bet that the entire 1st tring remained in the game, at least on offense. What about the other kids? This is sad and an assault on the integrity high school sports.

sinton66
10-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Like PPHSfan said, it's a "two-edged sword". When you have a kid with that kind of talent that is for the most part going unnoticed by colleges, I can see the coaches' logic. Chances are he will not get the chance to be a RB in college. Why not give him something every player would desire, a state record, a NATIONAL record. The odds are very good that this team would be nowhere near this performance level without this kid.

I can also see Hunt's position. It's bound to be humiliating for his kids and his staff. I believe the mistake he has made is to take this event personal. I doubt that it was intended that way. He seems hung up on "I thought we were friends, how could he?"

44INAROW
10-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan

LOL

OMG :D :D :D

Gobbla2001
10-08-2006, 12:50 PM
My deal is you keep your star in there and he gets hurt, small town, chances are you don't have another top-notch RB on the bench and maybe just one other that can even play the position... basically he put his "team's" chances in jeopardy...

#2, what about that other kid? just busted his ass all summer, career, year, week whatever to have his coach show favoritism to another player?

Old Tiger
10-08-2006, 05:29 PM
I saw some footage of this game and the defense was HORRIBLE!

Mustangpride09
10-08-2006, 07:00 PM
It wouldn't even be so bad if he had let the other team score some.

3&2count
10-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Instead of punting the coach should have ran the ball back to his own 1 yard line. The kid could have scored a TD, but could not have gained any yards. You do that a few times and maybe he pulls the kid out of the game.

mustang04
10-08-2006, 08:54 PM
i think the other coach should just have had a couple of players spying on the RB...you can't help it if your D sux THAT bad

SWMustang
10-08-2006, 09:36 PM
I'm surpised more people don't have a problem with this. I guess everyone has their own moral standard.

JR2004
10-08-2006, 09:39 PM
I really didn't have much of a problem with leaving the kid in the game to get a record, but after reading how he did it I found it to be pretty bush league. Letting the punts roll as far back as possible to ensure more yards? I agree with the poster who said they should've just taken the ball back to their own 1 yard line when they lined up to punt to prevent what happened. I think even a moron like that coach from Matewan would've gotten the message.

I never have a problem with a team running up the score or wanting to break a record, but some of that went even too far for me. That coach ought to be ashamed of how he went about getting the kid the record.