PDA

View Full Version : Monahans stuffs Pecos in 1-3A opener

tex_male
10-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Monahans stuffs Pecos in 1-3A opener
By Craig Craker
Odessa American

MONAHANS What was supposed to be a showdown between two strong rushing offenses turned into a showcase for Monahans High School’s defense.
Monahans held the Pecos offense to 101 yards and five first downs in a 52-0 rout in a District 1-3A game Friday at Estes Memorial Field. The Loboes also forced eight punts.
Pecos’ Luis Ortega, who came into the game leading the Permian Basin in rushing and touchdowns, finished with 63 yards on 24 carries.
“We had a goal of keeping him under 100 yards,” Monahans defensive end Tico Olivas said. “We just had to wrap up on him and keep driving on him. He is a hard runner. We just had to gang tackle him.”
Monahans head coach Mickey Owens said his players knew Ortega’s reputation and wanted to stop him.
Ortega’s rushing total was the second-lowest of his career. He rushing for just more than 30 yards in a start against Denver City last season.
“It was very personal,” Owens said. “We didn’t want him to have a big night coming onto our field. Hopefully this will jump start us and get it going.”
Monahans (4-1 overall, 1-0 district) had struggled in its first four games defensively, but after losing last week to Graham the Loboes came out a different team Friday.
“The whole thing started with the loss,” Olivas said. “We worked harder all week. I am a senior, and I was not going to let this season go to waste. We prepared for everything (Pecos) had, (Ortega) is not the whole team.”
The defense didn’t just do a stellar job on the run, but the Loboes also constantly pressured quarterback Paul Zubeldia when he dropped back to pass.
“We have so much youth on our offensive line and are starting multiple sophomores,” first-year Pecos head coach Chris Henson said. “They just aren’t reading it and are missing the hot reads. It is something we will work on in practice.”
While the Loboes defense was stealing the show, the team’s offense had a stellar night as well.
After being held to 96 yards rushing on 32 carries in the loss last week, Monahans rushed for 358 yards on 38 carries.
“A lot of people contributed,” Owens said. “Kenny (Almanza) threw the ball a lot better and special teams was important in pinning them deep in their zone.”
The offense wasn’t even fazed when starting tailback Chris Roberson, reinjured his right hand that he broke last week and went to the bench with 2:09 remaining in the first quarter. Roberson did not return.
Devon Fann replaced Roberson and had 79 yards and a touchdown on four carries. Josh Rodriguez rushed for 123 yards and scored two touchdowns on 14 carries.
Almanza was 2-for-6 passing for 58 yards and two touchdowns for Monahans.
The Loboes were held scoreless through the first quarter, but they exploded for 24 points in the second quarter and 28 more in the third quarter.

wildstangs
10-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Has Pecos even been CLOSE to making the playoffs since they dropped to 3A? I remember them making the 4A playoffs a few times when they were in that district with the Clint and Anthony schools.

westtxfballfan
10-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Has Pecos even been CLOSE to making the playoffs since they dropped to 3A? I remember them making the 4A playoffs a few times when they were in that district with the Clint and Anthony schools.

Nope. This year's their best chance only because of the change in district opponents, but they'll probably have to beat Fort Stockton or Clint for a spot and win the rest. Clint handled Anthony much easier than Pecos (for what comparing scores is worth), and Fort Stockton should be a notch better than Pecos as well. I think it's going to be Monahans, Clint, and Fort Stockton in that order, but the Loboes have come out flat several times this season. If they lay another egg at Clint Friday or in FS later this year, who knows?