PDA

View Full Version : D1 Scholarships

PPHSfan
10-06-2006, 08:53 AM
Some thoughts.

Is it better to play for a BIG D1 where you may not start until your Junior year, although it would be a great two years?

Or would you want to go to a 'smaller' D1 where you had the opportunitty to play for four years?

I mean think about it. Almost all of the kids that get to play at the next level will still never see the NFL, so why cut your playing time in half?

I mean the NFL teams don't give a rats behind, where you played college ball. IF you are one of the fortunate few they WILL find you.

Just thought I would make a football post.

Your thoughts?

AggieJohn
10-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Some thoughts.

Is it better to play for a BIG D1 where you may not start until your Junior year, although it would be a great two years?

Or would you want to go to a 'smaller' D1 where you had the opportunitty to play for four years?

I mean think about it. Almost all of the kids that get to play at the next level will still never see the NFL, so why cut your playing time in half?

I mean the NFL teams don't give a rats behind, where you played college ball. IF you are one of the fortunate few they WILL find you.

Your thoughts?

Like going to SMU rather than going to USC.

lostaussie
10-06-2006, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
About time:D

my thoughts are every kid has to do what is right for them. each case is different and these kids sometimes have hard choices. sometimes they do what everyone else wants them to do, and that is not always what is right for them.

CenTexSports
10-06-2006, 09:30 AM
I think that if the football part of the question is a draw, then the deciding factor should be on the degree choices of the student and he should go to a school that has a good program for his particular choice. If you want to be a future Alumni Yell Leader pick a school like A&M.

kaorder1999
10-06-2006, 09:36 AM
i think it should all depend on what youplan to do after college. If you have a legitimate chance to play professional sports then you need to be at a college where you can prove to be one of the best while playing against the best. If y ou know that football or whatever will be a thing of the past after your college years then you need to choose the University that best supports your future plans!

zeus63
10-06-2006, 09:37 AM
If a kid has options that is always best. Either way, big school or small school, don't pass up a chance at a free college education.

VWG
10-06-2006, 09:37 AM
I would think that it depends on how far back you're going to be on the depth chart. For example... let's say you go to a Big 12 school and you've got the starter, the second stringer, and then about 2 other guys ahead of you. Every year you're going to have other guys coming in as well fighting for that spot. What are you realistic chances of playing time after your freshman/soph. year? That is the hard question to answer.
Otherwise, let's say you go to Tulsa, SMU, North Texas, etc.... and get playing time your freshman year, or after your redshirt.
The competition for positions are still there, but yes, you might find that you've got a legit shot at playing time earlier at a "lesser known" D-1 school.
I do know this... I know one parent whose kid chose D-1 after turning down a full ride at a smaller school. The chance to play D-1 at a major conference was his dream, and couldn't pass that chance up to play. Will it work out? Only time will tell.

Adidas410s
10-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by zeus63
If a kid has options that is always best. Either way, big school or small school, don't pass up a chance at a free college education.

:thumbsup:

STANG RED
10-06-2006, 09:42 AM
I think the JC rout isnt a bad way to go for a year or two for many, but the real blue chippers should probably go right to a big time D1 for the exposure. Sure, you can make the NFL coming from a small school, but the big bucks usually come easier to the guys coming from the top D1 programs, at least for that initial contract anyway.

Adidas410s
10-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by VWG
I do know this... I know one parent whose kid chose D-1 after turning down a full ride at a smaller school. The chance to play D-1 at a major conference was his dream, and couldn't pass that chance up to play. Will it work out? Only time will tell.

I've had friends do this same thing. They would rather say "I was a part of the team (well...the practice squad) at Texas/Florida/Alabama/etc" than to say "I was 2nd team All-Sun Belt Conference at UNT."

westcoast54
10-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by zeus63

Well said. If a kid is good enough to make it to the NFL then the scouts will find him, no matter the size of school. Who had ever heard of Mississippi Valley State until Jerry Rice came out?

Kids need to take this into consideration too. Last year there were 110,000 college senior football players. That's from NCAA Div. I to the NAIA. There are only between 224-240 players drafted each year. Each team signs 10-15 free agents coming out of college also. So the odds are not good, no matter how good the kid is coming out of high school, that he will not even get a shot at the NFL. Don't worry about the size, just get the FREE education.

AggieJohn
10-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
I think that if the football part of the question is a draw, then the deciding factor should be on the degree choices of the student and he should go to a school that has a good program for his particular choice. If you want to be a future Alumni Yell Leader pick a school like A&M. your so funny:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HM33
10-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Being a very small college football player. I have to say that IMO, playing is something that is a must. If I had to choice of a big D1 on partial scholorship vs. a smaller school any division I with a full ride I would mostlikely take the full ride. You go to college to get an education, not to play football. Yes, some think that is why they go to college, but in the end its the education that counts. only like 7% (correct me if im wrong) of college football players make the NFL.

Gobbla2001
10-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by HM33
Being a very small college football player. I have to say that IMO, playing is something that is a must. If I had to choice of a big D1 on partial scholorship vs. a smaller school any division I with a full ride I would mostlikely take the full ride. You go to college to get an education, not to play football. Yes, some think that is why they go to college, but in the end its the education that counts. only like 7% (correct me if im wrong) of college football players make the NFL.

Forgot about the TLU guys... Is Richard Mckinney up there still? last time I talked to him he was... What about Dustin Nessle? played ball with those two and knew they were both at TLU at one point...

HM33
10-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Dustin quit last year when two freshmen moved him to third string. Dick is still around but he isn't going to TLU...I think he is going to come to school here in the spring but he won't be playing football