PDA

View Full Version : Cuero - Bay City Article

Gobbler Fan
10-06-2006, 07:16 AM
LONG TIME, NO SEE
Cuero and Bay City square off for the first time in 17 years
October 06, 2006 - Posted at 12:00 a.m.
BY MIKE FORMAN - ADVOCATE SPORTS WRITER
Bay City and Cuero have enjoyed similar success, but rarely have they shared the same field.

Cuero has made 10 state final appearances and won three state championships, while Bay City has made five trips to the state final and won two state titles.

But the last time the teams played each other was in 1989 when a Bay City team led by A.C. Tellison, Albert Hall, and Manvel Hopes rolled to a 33-0 win over the Gobblers.

The most recent meeting at Gobbler Stadium came in 1988 when the Blackcats captured a 20-18 win despite Cuero running back Robert Strait rushing for over 100 yards for the 16th consecutive game.

Bay City (0-4) returns to Gobbler Stadium to meet Cuero (5-0) in the teams' final non-district game of the season today at 7:30 p.m.

This year's matchup was created more out of necessity than desire. The Blackcats and Gobblers had difficulty scheduling non-district opponents and were forced to reach out to each other.

"That's kind of how it is for us and for them," Bay City coach Alan Cherry said. "People just don't want to play you. But I firmly believe it helps us down the road whether we win or lose. When you play good teams, it helps you down the road."

"I think our schedule has helped us," Cuero coach Mark Reeve agreed. "I think it's made us tougher. It's got us focused like we're in a playoff run. It's got us focused on who we're playing next."

Cuero has maintained its preseason No. 1 ranking in the Associated Press' Class 3A poll but it hasn't been easy. The Gobblers opened with decisive wins over Sinton, Stafford and Bandera before holding on to defeat Liberty Hill and La Vernia and stretch their regular-season winning streak to 33 games.

The Gobblers' most recent close call came last Friday night in La Vernia when Domingo Ruiz knocked down a pass in the end zone on the final play of the game to preserve a 26-20 win.

"I thought it was a tremendous win," Reeve said. "I told the kids after the game they weren't going to get the credit for that win that they did for the one last week (Liberty Hill). But to me it was every bit as courageous as what they did the last week."

Cuero has had to overcome a number of injuries, which have either sidelined or forced a number of starters to play hurt.

"They're playing on with guts and determination," Reeve said. "I can't say enough good things about how mentally tough they've been. We've had so many kids who have stepped up and given everything they've got."

Losses to Houston St. Pius, Waller, West Orange-Stark, ranked No. 4 in Class 3A, and Brenham, ranked No. 6 in Class 4A, have sent Bay City to its worst start in 30 years.

But the Blackcats, who are coming off their bye week, were driving for the potential winning score against West Orange-Stark late in the fourth quarter before having a pass intercepted and showed some offensive improvement on the road against Brenham.

"We've seen progress each week," Cherry said. "It's just a matter of getting it all together each time we play. We know we've had a tough schedule and we have to keep that in perspective. We're working on getting things improved. The kids are not disappointed and they've kept getting better."

Cherry is concerned about his team's ability to contain a Cuero offense led by quarterback Kyle Noack, who has passed for an area-leading 1,064 yards and 12 touchdowns.

"I watched the game (against La Vernia) and they're very aggressive and a very good team," Cherry said. "Watching the tape, they look even better. They're difficult to stop and their schemes are difficult to defense."

Reeve knows Bay City's record is no indication of its ability and expects Cuero to have its hands full trying to defense the Blackcats' spread offense directed by quarterback Shaun Rutherford, who has passed for 423 yards and three touchdowns and rushed for two touchdowns.

"They're still a talented football team," Reeve said. "They're good in the spread. They like to push you around a little bit. You've got to mix it up on him (Rutherford). Sometimes you've got to play cover and sometimes you have to bring heat. You have to stay away from patterns."

Bay City will face its third straight state-ranked team in Cuero and the Blackcats are sure to face a fourth when they open District 24-4A competition next week against Lamar Consolidated, which is ranked No. 5 in Class 4A. Bay City meets long-time rival El Campo on Oct 20.

The Gobblers begin District 29-3A play next week against Palacios and face long-time rival Yoakum on Oct. 20.

NOTES: Cuero coach Mark Reeve's son, Charlie, was a member of the Bay City staff in 2004 and coached in Cuero last season. Charlie Reeve is currently a graduate assistant coach at Rice...The game will be broadcast on KEPG, 100.9 FM, in Victoria, and KZRC, 92.5 FM, in Bay City. The game will be Web cast on www.bcblackcats.net.

crabman
10-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Gonna see if I know how to post a picture.

Stephon Hargrove. 6'-2" 220 lbs. Fast......

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/9178/stephonps0.th.jpg (http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stephonps0.jpg)

If anyone could resize this I would appreciate it.

HM33
10-06-2006, 01:29 PM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/HM33/stephonps0.jpg

crabman
10-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Many thanks.

HM33
10-06-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by crabman
Many thanks.
nope problem