PDA

View Full Version : What is a reverse?

kepdawg
10-05-2006, 07:48 PM
I know this seems like a stupid question, but can someone explain a reverse and maybe some variations of it?

District303aPastPlayer
10-05-2006, 07:50 PM
there are several variations of it. The most commonly used one now a days is a WR end around reverse. The WR takes a step forward, then peels back and goes around to the other side, the QB will reverse out, opposite the way the play is going... make a pitch to his RB, then the RB runs to the direction of the WR, while passing the WR, he(RB) either hands it off or pitches it and the WR keeps on his path.

Emerson1
10-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Definition: A play in which the running back receives a handoff from the quarterback and then runs laterally behind the line of scrimmage before handing off to a receiver running in the opposite direction.

Examples: A reverse is often used against a defense that has a tendancy to overpursue.

Txbroadcaster
10-05-2006, 07:51 PM
A TRUE reverse is when one ball carrier starts to one side, then hands it off to another runner who is going the opposite way.

What alot of people call a reverse is when a WR goes in motion and the QB hands off to him...that is NOT a reverse, but call and end around

kepdawg
10-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks everybody! You have all hit a little bit on the reason I asked. I hear a lot of plays referred to as a reverse or double reverse that don't fit what I grew up knowing as a reverse.

eagles_victory
10-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
A TRUE reverse is when one ball carrier starts to one side, then hands it off to another runner who is going the opposite way.

What alot of people call a reverse is when a WR goes in motion and the QB hands off to him...that is NOT a reverse, but call and end around i hate when people call an end around a reverse. Reverse is more of a misdirection play to make the back side defensive end stay honest.

Bullaholic
10-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Now work on "naked" reverse, kep. :D

STANG RED
10-05-2006, 08:09 PM
When its ran correctly, and well desguised, it works great on a defense that sells out to stop a sweep. But when done poorly, or ran against a well disiplined defense, its usually good for about a 10+ yard loss. It's a thing of beauty when it works though.

kepdawg
10-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Now work on "naked" reverse, kep. :D

Are the cheerleaders playing? ;)

AggieJohn
10-05-2006, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
The WR takes a step forward,

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1011816/2/istockphoto_1011816_penalty_flag.jpg

Emerson1
10-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Not if he does it after the ball is snapped.