PDA

View Full Version : Celina against Tatum, etc...

charlesrixey
10-05-2006, 05:52 PM
This is a reposting of something put on the Pig

How entertaining it is to listen to arguments about whether or not Tatum would beat Celina!

Regardless of whether or not they could, it is an argument i have heard before.

Last year, the average score being thrown around by media and fans alike for the state final was 45-12 for OPP. It seems to me that East Texas really doesn't have any faith in any team from another region beating their top teams.

How ironic that this has happened before.

Aren't we supposed to learn from history so that we may not repeat the same mistakes?

In 1995, we heard the same about Alto, and also in 1998 and 1999 about Elysian Fields, even though we had beaten them 21-0 the year before and returned our entire team! JBC, the padilla poll and DCTF all had picked against the bobcats.

And again, in 2000, there was NO WAY celina would win against Mart, the best 2A team ever, despite the 40 game win-streak the Bobcats carried into the game, and having beaten the Panthers just 3 years before, by virtually the same score. Granted, they were both two different teams then, and each had gone on to rediculous 3-year spans, but the principle remains the same. The Bobcats would not only win that game (the best-contested game i have ever seen) but would not lose for two more years, in the 3A playoffs against the Semifinalist Daingerfield by a missed extra point with eight seconds left.

Noticing a historical precedent?

Let's just glean a few more nuggets from the passage of time.

In EVERY state championship the Celina Bobcats have played against, they have overcome a Region 3 opponent to win (with the exception of the co-championship shared with Big Sandy, the only non-win for that team from 1973-1975-the 75' team set a national record for scoring with future NFL player Overstreet and coach Lovie Smithm now of the Chicago Bears. The result of that game was a 0-0 tie).

In every game, there has been an established star player who dominated opponents and who opposing fans JUST KNEW would run or pass all of over Celina.

1974- Overstreet (obviously didn't do too much)
1995- Hackney (outscored by Jarrod Martin)
1998- Chris Harris (less than 100 meaningless yards in a shutout from a 3,000 yard rusher)
1999- Chris Harris (more of the same, with a touchdown with minutes left in a 38-0 game)
2000-Quan Cosby (truly an awesome performance with 190 yards and 2 TD's on the ground, but outdone in total yards by Adam Herrin, Celina QB, who had 150 yards rushing and 200 yards passing as well as touchdowns both ways)
2001-Delbert Davis, who wasn't even the most celebrated of the players on his team, did have a gutsy performance but was shut down in the fourth quarter)
2005-Jesse? Harrison (defensive/offensve player of the year in 2A, held to less than 100 yards of offense, despite a great defensive performance)

As we can see, it takes more than a great running back/ground game to beat Celina in a state championship game.
In fact, i'm not sure what it does take, since it has never happened.

Celina would have been favored against the 3A DII champion in 1999, 2000 and 2005, and probably would have been even against Wimberley last year. They scored 803 points and game up less than four per game and still have a good team this year, although not as good as last year. It remains to be seen how far Celina can make it this year. But before i listen to any more talk about how Tatum would dominate Celina if they met in the finals, i would only ask them to show me the precedent-show me something other than wasted talk on a message board.

lostaussie
10-05-2006, 06:58 PM
thats a nice post and you guys have one hell of a program and tradition. but you left out 2003:D

Stownhorse
10-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Celina is heavenly to most people..i think Tatum would man-handle Celina

STANG RED
10-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
thats a nice post and you guys have one hell of a program and tradition. but you left out 2003:D

hahahahahaha. Let me guess.............Gilmer thumped em?

charlesrixey
10-05-2006, 08:22 PM
2003 was the only year since 1998 they have lost in the regular season-to gainesville, and maybe the weakest team since 1993. All of the years listed above were state championship years, from title games. 44-14 and 45-21 to gainesville and Gilmer are quite a bit different than 28-20 over Gainesville and 21-20 to daingerfield.

In 2A, they usually didn't face an east texas team until the finals, other than Grand Saline (42-0 over a 12-0 team in 1999) or Cooper (31-10 in 2000).

The Celina defense of 2005 was on a different plane of existence compared with 2003, more in line with those during the 98-00 years.

cats2151
10-05-2006, 08:51 PM
every year east texas people say that celina has no speed can play with them but they seem to still win.Who knows maby there not to bad.As for Gilmer this year I think there in a class of there own in 3a this year.If cureo gos d-1 they will be brought back down to earth by gilmer.Im just glad we dont have to run into them this year.

bulldogman06
10-05-2006, 08:55 PM
1st of all, would they have won in "02??? and second of all, if i were a betting man, id pick cuero over gilmer any day

Buckeye80
10-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
2003 was the only year since 1998 they have lost in the regular season-to gainesville, and maybe the weakest team since 1993.

Boy I sure am glad we got the "weak" Celina in '03. If we had played one of those Championship squads, we'd have been slaughtered!

After all, this is Celina we're talking about!

It's a "cop out" that I've heard for now the second time. Maybe Celina had a bad year, but give credit where credit is due. Celina got the crap kicked out of them in '03: twice! Gainesville destroyed them in the regular season, and then Gilmer destroyed them in the playoffs! Sure Gainesville won state that year, but Gilmer didn't! Is it at least the tiny bit possible that Celina may not compete in the upper echelon of 3A every single year? Or will the majority of their seasons in 3A when they don't win a title just be "down years"?

charlesrixey
10-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Anyone of several teams could have won div 2 in 3A in 2002.

The separation between Daingerfield, Celina, Greenwood and Bandera was slim at best; it just wasn't the bobcats time.

Gilmer would be favored by 10 or more against Cuero.

charlesrixey
10-05-2006, 09:00 PM
And i like cuero

bulldogman06
10-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Oh man, Cuero is just so athletic, Im not sure how you could not pick them. and they have a bunch of people hurt right now.

cats2151
10-05-2006, 09:07 PM
I hope gilmer and cuero play in the playoffs.I think cuero will score but they will not keep up with the pace that gilmer scores. Gilmer-48 cureo-20

charlesrixey
10-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Ask any fan of celina who has watched them over the years. In 2003, they struggled against their district, which is composed of 3A teams they had been pounding for years as a 2A team.
The fact that that coincided with their worst record since 1993 (10-2) has more to do with the lack of depth happening at the same time Gainesville was loading for a title run. Our defense that year was statistically the worst by far in a decade. I contend that their running back, Terrius Purvey, would not have staked them to a 44-0 lead in the third quarter against the defense from 98-00, or 05. Celina had a first year quarterback and no depth at the running back position; that may have had something to do with our issues that season.

Would Gilmer have beaten our team last year? Maybe or maybe not, but 45-21 would not be the final score.

cats2151
10-05-2006, 09:14 PM
celinas starting qb was out that game at gainesville they started a freshman qb.But it would not have made a difference in that game.

PPHSfan
10-05-2006, 09:14 PM
I wonder how many teams would like their worst record in 12 years to be 10-2?

Buckeye80
10-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey

Would Gilmer have beaten our team last year? Maybe or maybe not, but 45-21 would not be the final score.

And we will never know, just like we'll never know anymore who the "single" best team in any classification is.

But I would have to use my own logic in that one (my hometown has nothing to do with this decision). In a matchup of a (albeit recently discovered) 3A powerhouse program, and the "undisputed King" of 2A, I would've taken Gilmer last season. We were whole lot faster and bigger than Pewitt, and we had a better offensive strategy. My two cents worth.

Oh yeah! And Celina couldn't have handled Gilmer's speed.:p

charlesrixey
10-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Celina has been blessed, without a doubt. We are lucky to have such success, but we should never take it for granted. Any year 10-2 can turn into 3-7.

bulldogman06
10-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Wait, you are saying gilmer would beat celina because of speed, what about cuero against gilmer?