PDA

View Full Version : My trip to Oklahoma a few years ago.

Phil C
10-05-2006, 01:20 PM
I have referred to it briefly but didn't tell the whole story. My boss and I were at at conference in Wichita Falls which is just a few miles from Oklahoma. In fact it is so close that the area around there is referred to as TEXOMA by the tv stations. I had never been to Oklahoma so near the end of the day after a conference afternoon was over we still had a few hours of daylight so we decided to drive across the border into Oklahoma. I noticed the land there was just like the land in the movie Oklahoma. We drove to a very small town and parked at a softball field where I got out and picked up some of the Oklahoma soil to let it run through my hands. Then we got back into the car and headed back to Texas. There was a convenience store near the Texas border and we stopped there and got a soda water. Then we drove back to the border and crossed the Red River back into Texas.

Blastoderm55
10-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Exhilarating! Bravo! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bullaholic
10-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I have referred to it briefly but didn't tell the whole story. My boss and I were at at conference in Wichita Falls which is just a few miles from Oklahoma. In fact it is so close that the area around there is referred to as TEXOMA by the tv stations. I had never been to Oklahoma so near the end of the day after a conference afternoon was over we still had a few hours of daylight so we decided to drive across the border into Oklahoma. I noticed the land there was just like the land in the movie Oklahoma. We drove to a very small town and parked at a softball field where I got out and picked up some of the Oklahoma soil to let it run through my hands. Then we got back into the car and headed back to Texas. There was a convenience store near the Texas border and we stopped there and got a soda water. Then we drove back to the border and crossed the Red River back into Texas.

Phil, you're sure telling on yourself with your "soda water" reference---only a few of us on here can identify with that. Good to hear a nice clean, rustic story like that once in a while.

SintonFan
10-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Phil, you're sure telling on yourself with your "soda water" reference---only a few of us on here can identify with that.
That and "the musical" reference. lol Stuff like that tend to go right over most folks heads.:D

AP Panther Fan
10-05-2006, 01:49 PM
What I want to know is did he wash his hands when he got to the convenience store?:D

Phil C
10-05-2006, 02:06 PM
At the store I got a diet sprite and my boss got a Coke.

The musical movie "Oklahoma" was made in 1955 which was based on the great musical broadway play by Rogers and Hammerstein. Gordon MacRae plays Curley and he was great. Shirley Jones played Laurey and she was also great and would later win an oscar for her performance in Elmer Gantry and would be the Mom in the popular tv series The Partridge Family. Rob Steiger was magnificient as Jud Fry. He wasn't as famous as he was to become making great movies like The Pawnbroker and his oscar winning performance in the great movie In the Heat of the Night. Steiger was the only star of the movie that also appeared in the Dance Dream Scene (MacRae and Jones used doubles). He was great.

Also good was Eddie Albert as Ali Hakim. He would later be famous in Green Acres tv series.

The movie is great and if you like musicals this one should not be missed. It takes place in Oklahoma at about 1900 where two young cowboys win the hearts of their sweethearts in the Oklahoma Territory.

Phil C
10-05-2006, 02:09 PM
More good news is that the movie is shown often on television and also available at a lot of video stores and libraries. In fact they have it at the Sinton Public Library.

Hansum Stranger
10-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
In fact it is so close that the area around there is referred to as TEXOMA

It makes you wonder why they call the lake up there Lake Texoma :rolleyes:

Keith7
10-05-2006, 02:45 PM
wow great story Gainesville is only 7 miles from oklahoma, I never knew going there was such a big deal

Just Watching
10-05-2006, 06:15 PM
It sounds like a pretty good day.

STANG RED
10-05-2006, 06:22 PM
The last time I crossed over into Oklahoma, the Ok state troopers made us pour out 2 cases of Texas beer on the ground, and I had to send $300 to the judge in Durant. That's been nearly 25 years ago, and I aint been back. Not planning a trip any time soon either!