PDA

View Full Version : Wife's birthday

SWMustang
10-05-2006, 09:26 AM
What am I gonna do? I'm sure we'll go out to dinner this week end, but I need to get her a gift too. I heard something on the Radio about a Vermont Teddy Bear. I mentioned this casually in conversation to get some feedback. My wife told me those bears are the "gayest" thing she's ever heard of. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't enjoy option 2 - a Chia Pet :)

So I need some help - I can't spend more than 300 dollars. What should I do?

Ranger Mom
10-05-2006, 09:41 AM
What does she like?? Hobbies??

In my case, a trip to watch the Dallas Cowboys would be awesome....or even a Texas or Tech game.

But I am aware that is not for everyone!!:p

piratebg
10-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Can't go wrong with roses. They are always a good way to get things started.

pirate4state
10-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
What does she like?? Hobbies??

In my case, a trip to watch the Dallas Cowboys would be awesome....or even a Texas or Tech game.

But I am aware that is not for everyone!!:p That would work for me!! Type A! :clap: :D

A $300 purse would work too!!!

Hell, just giving me the $$ would work too. ;)

Ranger Mom
10-05-2006, 09:52 AM
I hate things that die......a rosebush would work better for me than just roses.

Rita....a $300 purse???:eek: :eek: Are you kidding me?????

Snyder_TigerFan
10-05-2006, 09:55 AM
Get her something you both can use....some new power tools, a shop vac, b-b-q pit....something you both can enjoy;) !

pirate4state
10-05-2006, 09:56 AM
I hate things that die......a rosebush would work better for me than just roses.

Rita....a $300 purse???:eek: :eek: Are you kidding me????? Nope :D

Ranger Mom
10-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
Get her something you both can use....some new power tools, a shop vac, b-b-q pit....something you both can enjoy;) !

HaHa!! Sadly, that would be right up my alley!! I love power tools!!

SWMustang
10-05-2006, 09:59 AM
I like the roses idea. The only problem with a purse is that we cross into a gray area that has me picking out purses. A satisfying gift usually does not ensue.

AP Panther Fan
10-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
A $300 purse would work too!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: that or a nice leather jacket!:D

Ranger Mom
10-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Whatever you decide on, don't forget a card.

I'm a sucker for a romantic (or naughty;) ) card!!:p

injuredinmelee
10-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Go thru every catalog you can find that has stuff she would never think of buying for herself or never thought she would want. With a $300 budget you can do alot.

Pudlugger
10-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Some ideas:

a beer keg cooler

a vacuum

a subscription to DirecTV NFL superfan (if you have DirecTV)

New tires

A tool belt

A Pannini maker

A blender

Or if you really are desparate, an once of French Perfume. You ought to know what she wears by now.

:D :D :D

spiveyrat
10-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan

...or a hot tub! :D :thumbsup:

SintonFan
10-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang

$300 is a good amount to buy some jewelry. You can get some decent earrings or a nice diamond pendant. She'll be showing it off for the next couple of months.;) And everytime she does, she'll have you to thank for it.:)

Blastoderm55
10-05-2006, 12:26 PM
I'll vouch for a purse as well, assuming your wife is into style and such. A nice Coach purse would make her day and should fit your budget.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-05-2006, 12:32 PM
Whatever you do, do not pick the purse out. Have a female friend pick it out, because us guys have no sense of style. The same applies for jewelry.

Txbroadcaster
10-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Whatever you do, do not pick the purse out. Have a female friend pick it out, because us guys have no sense of style. The same applies for jewelry.

Why is it so hard for guys to know the style of their women? I can pick out clothes, jewelry or anything for my wife because I KNOW what she likes.

SintonFan
10-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Why is it so hard for guys to know the style of their women? I can pick out clothes, jewelry or anything for my wife because I KNOW what she likes.
I agree. After 14 years together it's pretty easy to shop(even if I hate shopping) for someone you are close to for so long.

SWMustang
10-05-2006, 01:25 PM

and you can pick the right size?

Blastoderm55
10-05-2006, 01:29 PM
You can't check the size of what she already has? :p

SWMustang
10-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
You can't check the size of what she already has? :p

Sounds simple right? well ok, most of the time a size 4 is ok but other times we need a six. It's a crap shoot with women's clothes.

Blastoderm55
10-05-2006, 01:36 PM
I've found that so long as you come close to the right size, you're safe. Just don't pick out a ridiculously small or large size. In fact, always go smaller if you aren't sure. Worst case scenario, you flatter her and she exchanges for a comfortable size.

SWMustang
10-05-2006, 01:38 PM
good point - go smaller. I'm taking notes here:D

SintonFan
10-05-2006, 01:40 PM
I've found that so long as you come close to the right size, you're safe. Just don't pick out a ridiculously small or large size. In fact, always go smaller if you aren't sure. Worst case scenario, you flatter her and she exchanges for a comfortable size.
Wisdom well-earned.;)

AP Panther Fan
10-05-2006, 01:46 PM
I'll vouch for a purse as well, assuming your wife is into style and such. A nice Coach purse would make her day and should fit your budget.

I like Coach, but prefer Michael Kors, their line of purses are very stylish leather with silver accents.:D

My husband, amazingly enough, can always pick out really nice gifts for me and knows what I like. I can hand him a catalog and he can find the ONE thing in it that I would buy. :cool:

Txbroadcaster
10-05-2006, 01:59 PM
and you can pick the right size?

Yes I can She wears a size 1 or a size 3

SintonFan
10-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I like Coach, but prefer Michael Kors, their line of purses are very stylish leather with silver accents.:D

My husband, amazingly enough, can always pick out really nice gifts for me and knows what I like. I can hand him a catalog and he can find the ONE thing in it that I would buy. :cool:
Aww...
yall truly are blessed to have such great husbands like us.:cool: :D

SWMustang
10-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Yes I can She wears a size 1 or a size 3

so they don't always fit

AP Panther Fan
10-05-2006, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Aww...
yall truly are blessed to have such great husbands like us.:cool: :D

LOL...some days are better than others! :D

Blastoderm55
10-05-2006, 02:07 PM

My fiancee loves Michael Kors (why oh why do I know designer names? damn project runway) clothes. She went nuts at the outlet.

SintonFan
10-05-2006, 02:08 PM
LOL...some days are better than others! :D
I'd say hand him a catalog more often.:inlove:

Blastoderm55
10-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I'd say hand him a catalog more often.:inlove:

Just make sure it ain't Victoria's Secret. He won't give it back! :p

SintonFan
10-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Just make sure it ain't Victoria's Secret. He won't give it back! :p
I was gonna add that but figured someone would pick up on that.;)

Txbroadcaster
10-05-2006, 02:12 PM
so they don't always fit

Yes they always fit, I know which clothes she needs size 1 and which she needs size 3 for

SWMustang
10-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Yes they always fit, I know which clothes she needs size 1 and which she needs size 3 for

Ok - so you're telling me that you know what brands/styles fit a certain way versus other brands/styles. My wife doesn't even know that for herself much less someone else. :D

Txbroadcaster
10-05-2006, 02:26 PM
Ok - so you're telling me that you know what brands/styles fit a certain way versus other brands/styles. My wife doesn't even know that for herself much less someone else. :D

Yes I honestly do. We dont shop seperate. We live in a small town so when we go to the mall we go together so I know where she likes to shop and what she likes to wear and her sizes

rangerjim
10-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Forget clothes and stuff. Get grandma to watch the kids (if needed), pack her an overnight bag (don't tell her - your choice so it's a surprise. sneak it in the car). Tell her about dinner but surprise her with a night at a cozy bed and breakfast. Do a long stem rose thing at dinner and then the surprise b&b. The rest is up to nature and sleeping in late. They'll forget about a purse 10 years from now but will always remember the cozy birthday at the b&b. It worked once for me...............I think???? And it can be done for your budget!

Ranger Mom
10-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by rangerjim
Forget clothes and stuff. Get grandma to watch the kids (if needed), pack her an overnight bag (don't tell her - your choice so it's a surprise. sneak it in the car). Tell her about dinner but surprise her with a night at a cozy bed and breakfast. Do a long stem rose thing at dinner and then the surprise b&b. The rest is up to nature and sleeping in late. They'll forget about a purse 10 years from now but will always remember the cozy birthday at the b&b. It worked once for me...............I think???? And it can be done for your budget!

YAY!!!!:clap: :clap:

I like that idea. I am not a "materialistic person" (not saying any of you others are).

I would rather have "memories" than "stuff"!!

Old Tiger
10-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Happy birthday!

STANG RED
10-05-2006, 04:07 PM
A day of being pampered at a spa is always a winner, and $300 should do it.
I sent my wife and daughter together to one of these, and they still talk about how great it was. And the best part for me, I got to spend the day playing golf with the boys.

Snyder_TigerFan
10-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
A day of being pampered at a spa is always a winner, and $300 should do it.
I sent my wife and daughter together to one of these, and they still talk about how great it was. And the best part for me, I got to spend the day playing golf with the boys.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: A win-win there. Can't beat that!

SWMustang
10-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Thank you all for some great ideas!

mustang04
10-05-2006, 04:52 PM
buy a bottle of nyquil, some liquor, and some fruit punch and make a lil' trash can punch...let her drink it w/ the nyquil in it and BAM! she'll be out...then enjoy her birthday haha:D

just kidding....spend money on an event, not just a present

AP Panther Fan
10-05-2006, 05:00 PM
I don't care if it is materialistic or not....admit it....everyone likes presents. But I also enjoy a nice 2" ribeye (cooked by my husband) and served by my children.:D

SWMustang, I bet you will do a great job celebrating the birthday...I hope you both get to enjoy the day.

pirate4state
10-05-2006, 05:38 PM
YAY!!!!:clap: :clap:

I like that idea. I am not a "materialistic person" (not saying any of you others are).

I would rather have "memories" than "stuff"!!

I'm a material girl in a material world!! You know me & my memory. :smoker: B&B = no TV = not a happy camper, but I guess that'd be perfect for you Kellye unless AI is on. ;) :D

jlwzz
10-05-2006, 06:08 PM
What am I gonna do? I'm sure we'll go out to dinner this week end, but I need to get her a gift too. I heard something on the Radio about a Vermont Teddy Bear. I mentioned this casually in conversation to get some feedback. My wife told me those bears are the "gayest" thing she's ever heard of. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't enjoy option 2 - a Chia Pet :)

A nice softball glove works well and you get to break it in, then you get to use it. but if you divorce, it gets takin just, because it was hers! lol (true story)

SWMustang
10-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
buy a bottle of nyquil, some liquor, and some fruit punch and make a lil' trash can punch...let her drink it w/ the nyquil in it and BAM! she'll be out...then enjoy her birthday haha:D

That's already been done, Reg. Many, many times in Angelo - minus the nyquil of course