PDA

View Full Version : Orangefield now in the mix for Region III Division II title

Old Cardinal
10-15-2003, 06:55 PM
Orangefield was a 30 point underdog to Anahuac, if you believed the DWF pollesters. Orangefield, instead, manhandled Anahuac by 19 points. Now Anahuac slipped by the best team in 22-3A in O.T, in the first game....I really think that the Bobcats are for real and will go a number of rounds in the playoffs. They have a great passing attack and have allowed an ex-Bridge City defensive player from last year; to excel as the rampaging Orangefield Tailback. I watched them pick off Bridge City on the last play of the game 15-14; thus, assuring them the District Championship. I look for them to do quite well, they are a much better team than Liberty, who will most probably end up being the Div. II second team, That is, if BH ends up in Division II-- because Cleveland sneaked in to the Div. I spot. Orangefield with their 7 on 7 highly trained passing attack, coupled with 19 good skilled Seniors, are going to win out in District and be a challenge to any Division II playoff team that has to face them!

Matthew328
10-15-2003, 07:15 PM
I have to give Orangefield credit..they put it Anahuac...I was wrong there...I don't see em being much of a threat in the big picture out there...Region 3 Division 2 may end up being the toughest playoff bracket out there!

Marlin
Fairfield
Newton
Diboll/Kirbyville
Orangefield
Liberty
Bellville
Sealy
LaGrange
Manor/Giddings
not to mention a Lorena team that is starting to get my attention!

Old Cardinal
10-15-2003, 07:22 PM
You may well be right, but having seen them play, for me, I have to put them right in the mix with the others. The reason being these same pass-skill players went high in the Nationals of the 7 on 7. You couple this with a top grade Tailback that is truly a threat, and they can upset just about anyone, on a given night.

3AFTNUT
10-15-2003, 07:57 PM
Orangefield is a good team !
But Anahuac helped with 5 turnovers
and 3 in the first Quarter that helped them score the first two touchdowns!

Pedestrian
10-15-2003, 08:42 PM
Old Card: Having seen both Orangefield and Newton play. How does Orangefield match up with Newton?

the-O-fence
10-15-2003, 09:18 PM
Orangefield will be lucky to get past the 1st round in the post season. I believe the teams that they will go up against in 22-AAA are much better than Orangefield. They have a good passing game but not much else. Turning the ball over to a team that can beat you deep isn't gonna win ballgames for you and that's what happened to Anahuac.

FBmania
10-15-2003, 10:26 PM
Does anyone know how many Anahuac lost to grades? That has been a problem in the past, and I think I read in a post somewhere recently that they had lost a few. That might explain some of the poor play recently. I really was hoping to meet them again in the playoffs.

oldercoach
10-15-2003, 11:09 PM
Having seen both Newton and Orangefield, the Eagles would win by 21. No disrespect to OF, but Newton is solid with several players to attack with. Orangefield is pretty well-rounded but they do not possess much team speed. They should make it to the second round of the playoffs. I would be happy to see them go farther.

AggieJohn
10-15-2003, 11:23 PM
3AFTNUT:
Orangefield is a good team !
But Anahuac helped with 5 turnovers
and 3 in the first Quarter that helped them score the first two touchdowns!not to make excuses but i heard their top too stud athletes they lost to grades..that always hurts yah...

Bobkat
10-16-2003, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the kind words OldCard, but I'm not quite ready to make this team a big playoff threat. Don't get me wrong I love this team and the heart and desire that they play with night in and night out, but for them to be mentioned in the same breathe as the Newton's, Bellville's, etc. is a little far-fetched. I agree that anything can happen on any given friday night, and I'm not saying that this team can't win a couple of games, because I believe they can. Our coaching staff really gets these kids up to play each week, so anything is possible. Look what Liberty did last year when they gave Bellville fits in area, and we all know what Bellville went on to do last year. So if this team can go on and win it's first district championship since '88 and then win a playoff game or two, it would be a great season. Especially after this team was picked to finish 5th in this district. This team is such a joy to watch, and I hope that they can turn some heads when the get in the playoffs. They don't have any real stud players, just a bunch of kids that are very coachable and love to play the game. Good Luck Cats!!!

P.S. People keep talking about if Anahuac didn't have all those turnovers that...blah,blah,blah. I haven't posted anything negative about Anahauc because I respect your program, but get over it. You got beat, the better team won. Half of those turnovers came on either big hits and a very athletic diving interception. And I'm also tired of hearing that key players were out for injuries or grades...whatever!!! Orangefield played without it's best cornerback/receiver, so don't give me that. Yall got outplayed and outcoached!!!

dean-r-duke
10-16-2003, 08:47 AM
I agree with Bobkat, this team is very salty and are getting better every week. They have a solid offense attack and always keep you on your toes. The defense is just 11 guys that are not overly talented, but they enjoy playing and love to be physical. Again, Anahuac is a very good team, but give these kids some credit. Believe me they had all of there studs, the QB and all of the backs and receivers, and not to add the two offensive lineman that both way over 300. The Bobcats just outplayed them and took advantage of the turnovers that any good team would have done. These kids believe in themselves and each other.. GO CATS!!

sphinx1906
10-16-2003, 09:05 AM
Orangefield has been a very suprising team this year. I am glad to see them having some success. Old Card, you need to wait a little while before making comments about the bobcats making racket deep into the playoffs. You have seen Newton play this year and you know what the outcome would be. oh and nice comment on how the kid from O-F was a B.C. product. I guess he wanted to head over to a real team.

Cat22
10-16-2003, 10:57 AM
Well put Bobkat. I was thinking the same thing. It's like we're brothers or something.

dean-r-duke
10-16-2003, 11:09 AM
I dont understand why the Bobcats will play newton anytime soon.. If they happen to see the purple and white, it will maybe happen if they make it to the third round. Orangefield just needs to worry about the games in front of them and that is a very good h-f team. They also have to play buna, h-j, and hardin. They need to keep doing what they have been doing and that is play errorless free football on bothsides of the ball. If they continue to do that, then they will bring home the gold ball, and that is something well deserving for this hard working class of kids.. GO CATS!!

GoForIt
10-16-2003, 11:34 AM
Lorena is WAAAAAAAAAAAY underrated

BH_146
10-16-2003, 11:45 AM
Old Cardinal, I wouldn't put Cleveland in the playoff just yet. Cleveland had better made some adjustments on offense before Friday's game. I don't believe the Indians can pitch a shutout as they did in their first 2 district games. And their offensive numbers this year are a little decieving. Yes, in their 3 wins they have scored alot of points. But those wins came against teams who are a combined 1-17 for the year. In their losses, Cleveland has been outscored 93-0. Huffman has a fair defense and a very stout offense. Remember, regardless what the reasons may be given, Huffman did beat Orangefield 35-6. And Cleveland does not have the weapons of the Bobcats.

sphinx1906
10-16-2003, 12:17 PM
I agree dean-r-duke. I wasn't trying to downplay Orangefield, I was simply pointing out to Old Card that it needs to be one game at a time. Good luck from here on out.

Old Cardinal
10-16-2003, 12:26 PM
To B_146: I have to agree this friday is critical to the Playoff situation in 22-3A. It could go either way in the H-H vs Cleveland Indians game. It's really a matter as to which team shows up to play for Cleveland. BH would be very tough in Division II....To Pedistrian, Yes, I have seen both Newton and OF play this year. Since BC was able to hang in there with Newton till the middle of the third quarter, a totally unrated team against a top 5 rated team. I would still think Newton should win against OF. But, I do say, that if Faris is back in the lineup, to catch the football(which he was out against Anahuac); that OF would have a chance in upsetting Newton and anyone else in Division II. Good passing teams are prone to upset other good teams.... I think this is not of real interest, this discussion between Newton and Orangefield: it would not possibly be a matchup till the 3rd round anyway. I am just hoping that Newton, does not get beat by Marlin early, again this year.

Old Cardinal
10-16-2003, 12:32 PM
I enjoy this board, when we get stuck on the same old subjects, its kind of fun to get something going in another direction.

cooter05
10-16-2003, 02:12 PM
Although I dont live there anymore, I have seen a bunch of Orangefield football in my days. I have seen them play once this year and believe that they are a good to avereage football team. I believe that they will be in the playoffs as a result of a very weak district. I would like to see them do well, but they more than likely not make it past the first round. They're definitly not ready for Newton (Newton by at least 35), or Jasper, Kirbyville, or Diboll. They would finish 5th in that district. I also dont believe they are as good as the 98 team, or the Orangefield teams of the early 80's.

As far as that RB, I sure he would not be near the player he is if he were not from Bridge ******.

cooter05
10-16-2003, 02:13 PM
Although I dont live there anymore, I have seen a bunch of Orangefield football in my days. I have seen them play once this year and believe that they are a good to avereage football team. I believe that they will be in the playoffs as a result of a very weak district. I would like to see them do well, but they more than likely not make it past the first round. They're definitly not ready for Newton (Newton by at least 35), or Jasper, Kirbyville, or Diboll. They would finish 5th in that district. I also dont believe they are as good as the 98 team, or the Orangefield teams of the early 80's.

As far as that RB, I sure he would not be near the player he is if he were not from Bridge ******.

dean-r-duke
10-17-2003, 08:28 AM
Cooter05, We will not play a team out of that district till the 3rd round anyway. The Bobcats are simply just trying to take one week at a time. If they make the playoffs, they will play someone like B-Hill or Liberty. If they happen to sneak one by them then they will play someone like Bellville. Now, I think those three teams right there will give those teams you mentioned all they want on any given Friday night... I can tell that the Bobcats are just having fun and are getting a little better each week.

cooter05
10-17-2003, 09:28 AM
Dean
Your right about Orangefield not having to play those teams, but regardless of who they play in the first round I just dont feel they are good enough to win. Liberty to me is Orangefield's best chance. They barely beat a weak B.C. team and were beat in a scrimmage by Kirbyville team 3t.d. to 0.

Old Card
It wouldn't matter if Jeff Granger came back and suited up, Orangefield couldn't play with Newton. Not since the early 80's have they been in the same league. Farias would not be a factor at all. I absolutely positive that Newton has about 3 or 4 people that could cover him like a blanket. They probably wouldn't even get the pass off. Just because they beat a wead B.C. team doesn't make them a contender.

Old Cardinal
10-17-2003, 12:23 PM
You know Cooter 05, Jasper should have taught you a lesson in the ballgame. Maybe it will take another couple of lickings by Diboll and Newton to get you off your high-horse. I think Anahuac, Orangefield and Bridge City would take out Kirbyville this year, just like they always have....Let's see how you Wildcats tear up Newton? I would not be talking about people being weak, when except for Jasper, Kirbyville has played the most pathetically weak schedule in 3A history, this year!

<small>[ October 17, 2003, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Compudyne
10-17-2003, 12:31 PM
Old Cardinal:
You know Cooter 05, Jasper should have taught you a lesson in the ballgame. Maybe it will take another couple of lickings by Diboll and Newton to get you off your high-horse. I think Anahuac, Orangefield and Bridge City would take out Kirbyville this year, just like they always have....Let's see how you Wildcats tear up Newton? I would not be talking about people being weak, when except for Jasper, Kirbyville has played the most pathetically weak schedule in 3A history, this year!Surely you are just saying those things out of frustration..

Backwoods
10-17-2003, 12:36 PM
Sorry. Typed when I should not have. Misunderstood Old Card. Forgive.

<small>[ October 17, 2003, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Backwoods ]</small>

Old Cardinal
10-17-2003, 02:06 PM
No, Mr. Compudyne, I am not frustrated at all...Kirbyville beat a couple of very so-so 2A schools, then 3A Buna ranked #187 and then Tarkington 3A ranked #198. Next was Beaumont Kelly(Private school) with a very bad record...To brag about how great Kirbyville is, when they specifically play the weakest schedule they can find in preseason-is a little much. The proof is in the pudding, if they beat Diboll and Newton, them we will all give them that respect they seem to most passionately need.....I really feel sorry for Kelly HS, last night Bridge City's 9th grade beat Kelly's JV 40-0-they are really struggling this year.

Hupernikomen
10-17-2003, 02:39 PM
People didn't think too highly of midland last year either, nor was smithson valley a name to reckon with in 4A until a few years ago and look what they did last year in 5A. How long ago was it when Nederland was an easy win for just about everyone year in and year out? Programs can evolve for the good or for the bad. Looks like Orangefield has theirs moving in the right direction.

Cat22
10-17-2003, 03:49 PM
Hupernikomen I think your are right. I think Orangefield is going in the right direction. We have a very good coaching staff, I just hope they stay around for awhile. That's the bad thing about being from a smaller school. When you have some success, coaches get offers from larger schools that they cannot pass up. I can't say I blame a coach who has had success in a smaller program who leaves for a larger school. I just hope we can keep these guys in Orangefield for the next few years.
Go Cats

BIGRED001
10-17-2003, 05:20 PM
Kirbyville talks big smack every year. I don't see them strong either. Bridge City is struggling in my opinion, but could still contend and beat Kirbyville. When is the last time a Kirbyville team has even beaten Bridge City? I would venture to say they have probably never beat a Bridge City team.

3AFTNUT
10-18-2003, 04:29 PM
Hey what happen why all the turnovers
sounds like someone got out played
no excuses

Bobkat
10-18-2003, 11:46 PM
3AFTNUT is this post directed to me? If it is go read the post I started, I didn't post anything about excuses. I said we got beat, we had turnovers and H-F played better, bottomline. You can read every post I've had on this site and I've never made excuses about a loss nor have I ever said anything bad about any team. I love high school football and I love my CATS!!! This average team(in your words) will get it going again and win or lose this has been a special year in Orangefield.

<small>[ October 19, 2003, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Bobkat ]</small>