PDA

View Full Version : Billy G's not the only A&M coach worth something.....

AggieJohn
10-05-2006, 01:07 AM
Alot of talk around campus here is that when Gillispie makes the jump to a bigger program, this guy will go to College Station

Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi head men’s basketball coach Ronnie Arrow has been given a one-year contract extension that will go through the 2009 season, Director of Athletics Brian Teter announced.

Over the past two years, Arrow has guided the Islanders to a combined record of 40-16, recording back-to-back 20-win seasons and was named the Independent Coach of the Year both years, as well as being named the collegeinsider.com Independent Coach of the Year after the 2005-06 season.

In 14 seasons as a NCAA Division I head coach, Arrow has compiled a record of 222-177 record and has made two appearances in the NCAA Tournament.

Arrow, the only coach Texas A&M-Corpus Christi has known, has guided the Islanders to an overall record of 108-84 record and was the top independent from 2003-2006.

“It’s always nice to get a contract extension and nice to know the president of the university as well as our new director of athletics feel our program is deserving of this,” Arrow said. “Our players and coaching staff have worked really hard to make it what it is today and to know that its appreciated really means a lot.”

The Houston, Texas native will lead the Islanders in their first season as a member of the Southland Conference after playing as an independent the past seven seasons.

His extension comes two months into Teter’s tenure as the director of athletics. “I am not only impressed with what coach Arrow has accomplished during the days of being an independent, but how he has continued to work tirelessly at building the men’s basketball program here at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi,” said Teter. “It is exciting that we are now in the Southland Conference and that coach Arrow is positioning Islander basketball to be both successful and stable for years to come.”

Along with Arrow’s extension, he also has beennamed one of the 31 voters in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Top-25 Poll as he will represent the Southland Conference in the weekly poll.

CHS_CG
10-05-2006, 07:50 AM
I am really hoping coach Gillispie will stay for a while longer. He had turned our baseketball team around and seems like a great coach.... I really enjoy aggie bball games now.

Phil C
10-05-2006, 08:13 AM
HEY WHAT ABOUT YOUR OUTSTANDING SOCCER COACH??!!

:mad:

District303aPastPlayer
10-05-2006, 08:24 AM
i can honestly say that if Coach Arrow leaves to A&M-CS then i would be somewhat happy for him. He's done wonders and recruited some great players in his tenure at The Island. I dont know if anyone remembers Michael Hicks, but he made it to one of hte practice squads of a pro team or something like that.... And i believe it was JL3s senior year at OSU, the Cowboys came down to Corpus, and were up like 4 at the half. They had been down most of the first half...

KL3
10-05-2006, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
Alot of talk around campus here is that when Gillispie makes the jump to a bigger program, this guy will go to College Station

Really? I frequent a couple of different Aggie message boards and have never seen this guy mentioned. But don't worry, Gillespie is not leaving anyways. He has everything he wants right here.

Bandera YaYa
10-05-2006, 09:22 AM
.....another Post Padding thread by aj........ :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I'm gonna start posting every little news thing I find, too......what fun!! :D

g$$
10-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Ronnie Arrow was the guy who built San Jac into a national juco powerhouse before he went D1 to South Alabama & beyond. That program has turned out many NBA guys thru the years. I don't see BCG leaving now that he has it going & approval for the things he asked for from Byrne (facilities, practice gym, new contract, etc.).

At A&M, don't forget about the soccer coach, volleyball coach, & the new track coach from LSU. Blair in women's bball too deserves mention too. Now football, ugh!!

Bulldog_12
10-05-2006, 12:14 PM
I have a feeling Gillispie is not going anywhere for quite some time. Thank God for deep pockets.:D