PDA

View Full Version : read this and you will understand why gilmers fans are excited

lostaussie
10-04-2006, 08:41 PM
I took this very nice post from smoaky.com about the buckeyes and some of their history. if you read it all, maybe some of you will understand why the Gilmer faithful are so excited. it has not always been this way.

posted by "an old buckeye"

My take on things,, for what that's worth.

There have been a lot of comments on Smoaky about the Buckeyes. I'm sure there are many who think there has been "too much" written about the Bucks. I've seen several posters make some not so kind comments about Gilmer, and about their fans, and the team,,, saying we are arrogant, and brag too much. I have to admit there are one, maybe two Gilmer posters who I agree go a little overboard on the bragging. But I think more than not, most of the Gilmer folks on here are good hearted folks who are just "excited" about the teams success over the past few years. And to be honest,,, I think there are just about as many folks on here talking about the Bucks,,, who "aren't from" Gilmer,, as there are folks "from" Gilmer.

I think most of that excitement comes from the fact that our Buckeyes and fans success, comes out of years of being humbled. Let me give you an example or two,,,, or three. From 1971 to 1979, Gilmers record was 25 - 62 - 3. Pretty pawltry wouldn't you say? If you go back further to 1966, those totals look like this: 43 - 93 - 3. In 1976, the Buckeyes scored 45 points,,,,,,,, all year!!!!! In 1977, even worse,,,, 39 points. And in 1979,,, 48 points. Heck we've been averaging more than that per game this year. From 2003 through 2005, we scored 1781 points, and gave up 636 points. That averages out to be 45.6 on offense,, to 16.3 points on defense,, per game,, for three years straight. The Buckeyes record since Jeff Traylor has been here has been 65 - 13.

I mentioned the schools record over the 14 years from 1966 - 1979. But in the past 40 years or so, we've had some pretty good years,, but for the most part,, they have been pretty rough. I know a lot of folks who sat through many tough seasons. We loved our team no matter their records. But the success of the past several years, has brought a new sense of pride, and accomplishment to the team,, the school,, and the town. And it's not an arrogant pride,, it's truly a thankful,, and humble pride. The good kind. Our success will likely end some day,,, these kinds of runs don't last forever. Hopefully that won't be too soon.

I know I can't speak for everyone,,,, but I think most of the folks in Gilmer would agree with me in that we don't want to come off as arrogant, or conceited, or bragadocious. Most of the folks up here are just very thankful to be a part of what's going on with the team. We're just having a great time watching these young men play football at the level they are doing so. And even more important, we are enjoying watching them grow into young men of good character, courage, and determination. So next time some of you might feel a bit frustrated by all the Gilmer talk,,,, we just ask that you be patient with us, and understand we're just having a good time being proud of our guys and our school. And if we're all honest,,,, I think anyone who's team is having this kind of success would feel the same way. And that is the way it should be. Thanks to all the fans from other schools,, who stand behind East Texas football,, and wish us success this year. Good luck to your schools teams as well.

wimbo_pro
10-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Great post, lostaussie...and we have a better understanding now of where you and the others are coming from. Just do us a favor and ask Buckeye80 to shut up...then all will be cool. LOL

lostaussie
10-04-2006, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Great post, lostaussie...and we have a better understanding now of where you and the others are coming from. Just do us a favor and ask Buckeye80 to shut up...then all will be cool. LOL i didn't write it, i just copied it.

lostaussie
10-04-2006, 09:14 PM
anyway, i thought you guys were like blood brothers:D

Buckeye80
10-04-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Great post, lostaussie...and we have a better understanding now of where you and the others are coming from. Just do us a favor and ask Buckeye80 to shut up...then all will be cool. LOL

I hate you!:D

wimbo_pro
10-05-2006, 12:10 PM
LOLOLOL...now now..thats not what you said last night.

GreenMachine
10-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Nothing wrong with supporting your team...I support mine! :thumbsup: