PDA

View Full Version : How do the Astros deal with hitting problems?...Fire the Pitching Coach

Txbroadcaster
10-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Astros extend Garner's contract, fire pitching coachAssociated Press

HOUSTON -- The Houston Astros extended manager Phil Garner's contract through 2008 but fired pitching coach Jim Hickey on Wednesday.

Garner's contract was to expire after next season. The Astros also retained bullpen coach Mark Bailey, hitting coach Sean Berry, bench coach Cecil Cooper, first base coach Jose Cruz and third base coach Doug Mansolino.

The Astros went 82-80 in 2006, missing the playoffs for the first time since Garner took over midway through the 2004 season. The Astros were virtually the same team that reached the World Series last season, but they went 53-69 between a 19-9 start and a 10-2 finish.

Team owner Drayton McLane Jr. said Garner "has contributed greatly to our recent success."

"Our goal has always been to bring a World Series championship to Houston, and we have come closer to reaching that goal under Phil's tenure as manager than at any other point in the history of the franchise," McLane said.

Houston had the NL's second-lowest ERA (4.08) and tied the New York Mets for the most shutouts (12). The Astros ranked second in the NL with a 3.51 ERA in 2005 and led the league with the fewest runs and walks allowed.

Hickey had been Houston's pitching coach since Garner became manager.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

wedo
10-04-2006, 05:14 PM
I heard they are going to pick up Carlos Lee

Astrosdawg07
10-04-2006, 05:30 PM
This move make no sense at all.. :doh:

AggieJohn
10-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Hickey was a malcontent in the clubhouse, this is well known

g$$
10-04-2006, 06:03 PM
Garner said it was a "feel" thing. I wonder why the pitching coach could not tell Lidge was tipping pitches when Joe McEwing & others said so when they were on other teams? Agreed though, w/ the worst offense in the NL seems other stuff would take priority, like finding someone besides Berkman who can hit!

SWMustang
10-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
Hickey was a malcontent in the clubhouse, this is well known

where'd you here that?

SWMustang
10-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by wedo
I heard they are going to pick up Carlos Lee

hope you heard right.

g$$
10-04-2006, 06:37 PM
That rumor has been out there about Hickey because he did tv interviews from the dugout during the playoffs (most managers do it, if anyone at all). It rubbed some people the wrong way.

Carlos Lee & Alfonso Soriano are the most often mentioned free agent names. Trades are possible too. Garner said on the radio today he wants a big bat & a proven pitcher either in a trade or free agency. Then tweak the club from there, get answers from Clemens & Pettitte, etc. Astros have some major work to do this offseason.

AggieJohn
10-04-2006, 06:44 PM
astros look good financially to play around this offseason

SWMustang
10-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by g$$
That rumor has been out there about Hickey because he did tv interviews from the dugout during the playoffs (most managers do it, if anyone at all). It rubbed some people the wrong way.

Carlos Lee & Alfonso Soriano are the most often mentioned free agent names. Trades are possible too. Garner said on the radio today he wants a big bat & a proven pitcher either in a trade or free agency. Then tweak the club from there, get answers from Clemens & Pettitte, etc. Astros have some major work to do this offseason.

There's some work to do but I don't think it's as bad as it looks. They have arguably the best starting pitcher in the NL and one of the best slugging first basemen. The bullpen is above average and if they can fix Lidge, I think it's one of the top 3 or 4 in the league. They need:

1) a power hitting outfielder
2) a 3rd basemen who can hit for average if not power (or give the job to Lamb)
3) They need to upgrade at catcher
4) starting pitching - Many young arms spent some time in the Majors. Maybe a couple could get it together enough to stick with the club. If Pettitte comes back that would help a bunch. His firt half of the year was not very good.

You can keep everett and his 240 average in the lineup if you shore up the other areas.

g$$
10-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Agreed on the Astros. But you can't go to camp w/ Oswalt, then ????. Pitching must be addressed 1st. Get answers from Clemens & Pettitte soon. Hopefully some of the young kids step up, but not in the 2nd or 3rd spots. I like Sampson as a 4th or 5th starter, maybe a swing guy. Hirsh, Albers, Nieve, Gutierrez, Patton are young guys to watch. I would love a rotation of Oswalt, Jason Schmidt, Clemens, Pettitte, & maybe Sampson/one of young guys. Wheeler is the closer w/ Qualls, Nieve, Springer, Miller, etc. in bullpen.

I would move Lidge to the highest bidder. Boston is reportedly interested. Ensberg = talented head case, move him too. Jason Lane = please move him too or keep only as 5th OF for defense late in game. Get a big bat for the OF (then you have Taveras, Scott, & maybe Lee/Soriano/?). OF Hunter Pence is close to being ready, give him a long look in camp. Decide on Lamb at 3rd or platoon (Lamb's defense a question). Play Burke the majority of the time at 2B, some in OF vs. LHP. Biggio becomes a role player, gets his 70 hits & retires after next year. Ausmus should not get close to 500 ABs; Gimenez is ready to be everyday C. Everett is a great defensive SS & no big deal batting if you surround him w/ a good line-up. Lots of questions but the core is not all bad. And, we have $$ to spend now w/ contracts expiring. Tim Purpura, you are now on the clock!

SWMustang
10-05-2006, 11:01 AM
are you that stoked about Jason Schmidt? I don't know if he's worth what he'll command on the open market. 10-12 mil per year?

I agree about everything else - Can't wait to see what Burke does with a whole year of more playing time and being healthy.

Tiger3
10-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Good analysis G$$, I just hope we actually make most of those moves instead of talking about them like the management usually does.

g$$
10-05-2006, 11:14 AM
Schmidt is worth it - if HEALTHY (shoulder?). That is the big question. Problem is there is not a lot of pitching on the free agent market. A trade is a possibility too. Boston is rumored to want Lidge now that Papelbon will be a starter & they think he can be fixed. Changing leagues might be the fresh start he needs too. Lidge has the stuff, obviously, but he has lost that closer's confidence.

Bottom line is this for the offense: you cannot afford to give ~2000 ABs to Ausmus, Biggio, Everett, & Taveras. Taveras is still young & Everett is a ++ defensive SS. So you build around them so to speak. Burke needs to play everyday. If you improve the offense at least somewhat, then our pitching should keep us in the race in the NL. That's how I see it.

And if Toronto wants to dangle Vernon Wells, then go after him full force. He has 1 year left on his contract & wants out of Canada. He's a Texas boy too. All Star OF w/ speed & pop. Only do it if you can sign him long-term. Ask about Carl Crawford too. His price tag is probably too high, & Hunsicker is no dummy either. But I would sure ask. See what happens...

g$$
10-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Tim Purpura is a smart lawyer from Chicago, but he is a yes man to Drayton. I worked for Tim when he was the Farm Director under Fred Nelson. I respect the job he did in that role, but he has done nothing as GM. He's basically ridden Hunsicker's coattails to date. He is on the clock NOW.

I did not care for Purpura. Very paranoid & really kisses up to Drayton. I left after the '94 strike. Hunsicker did not care for Drayton's meddling nature, thus he left. Hunsicker is a good baseball man. Wish we still had him.

BTEXDAD
10-05-2006, 12:41 PM
good thoughts all. Not sure what will pan out though.
Crawford is still being paid low salary, so don't expect him to be traded until Devil Rays have to renew his contract. They would want value for value and why would they take on higher salary from older player when they could simply hold on to crawford for now.
Soriano still wants to play second base. Astros have biggio AND Burke, so I don't see that happening either. Unless one or both of them would be involved in trade.
Carlos Lee is best possibility.

Wanted to say that hitting coach, gaetti, was fired earlier in season, so they've gotten rid of both pitching and hitting coaches.

coach
10-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by g$$

carlos wants to be a ranger and the rangers will resign him

15portsfan
10-06-2006, 01:52 PM
1. Tavares C.F.
2. Lamb 3rd
3. Berkman 1st
4. Scott L.F.
5. Huff R.F.
6. Burke 2nd
7. Everitt SS
8. Ausmus C

This lineup is a very potent lineup with a improving leadoff man, 3 left handers and a switch hitter at 2 thru 5 and decent avg. and pop at 6 and 7, Ausmus is very good at calling a game and defense is unquestionable. This lineup is responsible for the end run that almost caught St. Louis. I am an avid Biggio fan but Burke has earned the right to play every day and Biggio needs to play enough to get 3000 hits and Burke the rest at 2nd. As for the pitching, I would start with Oswalt and Backe as 1 and 3 with Clemens as 2 if he returns but would take money and get better than Petitte as 2 or 4 with Bulholtz as 5. The bullpen can be tweeked a little but didnt do bad considering the lack of runs given to the starters.For sure we need a true closer.

Now the duds/gotta gos

1. Lane
2. Ensberg
3. Lidge
4. Petitte

g$$
10-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Could not disagree more:

With all due respect, that is basicallly the same line-up that was the worst offense in baseball this year. You are inserting Burke full-time & thinking everything is fixed. WRONG!! You mentioned the late season run. Big deal - we started 19-9 & finished 10-2. In between we were 53-69. Thus, we were a mediocre team at best playing in the WORST division in baseball in a weak NL. Changes must be made. Pitching carried us last year to the WS, not our offense. No way you can have Ausmus, Biggio, Everett, & Taveras getting ~ 2000 ABs next year. Everett is fine w/ a quality line-up around him. Read the previous posts on possible roster for next year. This line-up needs power & speed inserted before next year.

BTW, Brandon Backe had major arm surgery. Tommy John surgery to be specific where a ligament/tendon from another part of your body replaces the damaged one in the elbow (usually from opposite forearm). He's out 12-18 months. He will NOT play next year. So the pitching starts w/ Oswalt & go from there. Wheeler is the closer for me. Lidge, Lane & maybe Ensberg gone depending on trades. Boston wants Lidge, so stay tuned.

SWMustang
10-06-2006, 03:15 PM
I don't know that I would go so far as to call Pettitte a dud. He was awful at times but he still won 14 games. I agree with the other guys.

g$$
10-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Andy Pettitte, at the right price, is still a quality #3 starter for anyone. He had a good 2nd half & the elbow only flared up once. I want Pettitte on my team. Ultimate gamer & true competitor who's at his best in big games. I think he'll be back w/ the Astros, & 50/50 on Clemens returning. I think the steroids story (since denied) will actually help our case in bringing them back. We'll see.