PDA

View Full Version : Texas Rangers Fire Buck Showalter

kaorder1999
10-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Rangers fire Showalter

10:13 AM CDT on Wednesday, October 4, 2006

By EVAN GRANT and RICHARD DURRETT / The Dallas Morning News

The Rangers have fired manager Buck Showalter, club sources confirmed Wednesday.

The Rangers' top management troika met Tuesday night at the estate of owner Tom Hicks to discuss the future of Showalter.

A Rangers official confirmed the meeting, but the club offered no statement about its outcome. Via e-mail, Hicks declined to comment. General manager Jon Daniels did not respond to e-mail questions.

Showalter, who finished his fourth season with the Rangers on Sunday, had been signed through 2009 with a club option for 2010. He is still due between $5 million-$6 million in salary.

Daniels said in mid-September that he had "no plans to change managers at this time."

There have already been four managerial changes in the majors. Florida dumped first-year manager Joe Girardi on Tuesday and replaced him with Atlanta third-base coach Fredi Gonzalez. San Francisco, Washington and the Chicago Cubs have also dismissed their managers but have not named replacements.

In his four seasons, Showalter had produced one winning season, 89-73 in 2004. The Rangers have not finished higher than third in the AL West. But that streak dates longer than Showalter's tenure. Showalter is 319-329 since joining the Rangers. It is his third managerial stop, following stints in New York and Arizona. Both clubs won the World Series in the season after Showalter left.

E-mail egrant@dallasnews.com

Adidas410s
10-04-2006, 10:20 AM
TEXAS RANGERS...2007 WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!!! :D :D :D :D :D

coach
10-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Rangers fire Showalter

10:13 AM CDT on Wednesday, October 4, 2006

By EVAN GRANT and RICHARD DURRETT / The Dallas Morning News

The Rangers have fired manager Buck Showalter, club sources confirmed Wednesday.

The Rangers' top management troika met Tuesday night at the estate of owner Tom Hicks to discuss the future of Showalter.

A Rangers official confirmed the meeting, but the club offered no statement about its outcome. Via e-mail, Hicks declined to comment. General manager Jon Daniels did not respond to e-mail questions.

Showalter, who finished his fourth season with the Rangers on Sunday, had been signed through 2009 with a club option for 2010. He is still due between $5 million-$6 million in salary.

Daniels said in mid-September that he had "no plans to change managers at this time."

There have already been four managerial changes in the majors. Florida dumped first-year manager Joe Girardi on Tuesday and replaced him with Atlanta third-base coach Fredi Gonzalez. San Francisco, Washington and the Chicago Cubs have also dismissed their managers but have not named replacements.

In his four seasons, Showalter had produced one winning season, 89-73 in 2004. The Rangers have not finished higher than third in the AL West. But that streak dates longer than Showalter's tenure. Showalter is 319-329 since joining the Rangers. It is his third managerial stop, following stints in New York and Arizona. Both clubs won the World Series in the season after Showalter left.

E-mail egrant@dallasnews.com

very dissapointed i liked buck i think the problems are elsewhere (tom Hicks) o well maybe we can get girardi or dusty baker

District303aPastPlayer
10-04-2006, 10:21 AM
ya'll can have Dusty Baker all you want... the Cubs are lookin to Big Joe and I hope we sign him soon... he'd be a great fit for the young lineup we are moving to...

Adidas410s
10-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
ya'll can have Dusty Baker all you want... the Cubs are lookin to Big Joe and I hope we sign him soon... he'd be a great fit for the young lineup we are moving to...

I'm hoping the Cubs go with Pinella instead and we can snag Girarrdi but I doubt that happens.

Adidas410s
10-04-2006, 10:25 AM
I sent this article to a friend and here was her reply:

A man passed away and a stipulation in his will was he wanted six Texas Rangers to be pallbearers. Do you know why? <no> Because he wanted them to let him down one more time...

injuredinmelee
10-04-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
TEXAS RANGERS...2007 WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!!! :D :D :D :D :D

hasnt the last two teams he left won the series the next year? Hope they find some pitching in the offseason.

kaorder1999
10-04-2006, 10:42 AM
thats what the article above said...

"Both clubs won the World Series in the season after Showalter left."

Adidas410s
10-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
thats what the article above said...
Rickadamus doesn't read...he waits for answers! :mad:

KTJ
10-04-2006, 10:56 AM
Thank God.

injuredinmelee
10-04-2006, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Rickadamus doesn't read...he waits for answers! :mad:

You know Rickadamus very well.

eagles_victory
10-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by coach
very dissapointed i liked buck i think the problems are elsewhere (tom Hicks) he had plenty of talent in his four years to make the playoffs at least once and he didnt do it so im glad to see him go.

3afan
10-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Girardi wont be good for the Rangers .... he's a hardline keep the pressure on type manager just like Buck was/is

coach
10-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
he had plenty of talent in his four years to make the playoffs at least once and he didnt do it so im glad to see him go.

lee lee lee its the front office its always been wakamatsu just wont cut it

g$$
10-04-2006, 12:09 PM
ESPN said that potential free agents had expressed interest in Texas if & only if Buck was not the manager. His abrasive style rubs guys wrong it seems.

Vernon Wells is from the Dallas area, & he has 1 year left on his Toronto contract. He will be due big $$. Best friend is Michael Young. Think he comes home to the Rangers or do the Astros make a play for him? I am wishing here, but I hope the Astros get that big bat so desperately needed. That would be a huge trade, but only if they could re-sign him after this year.

Package of Lidge, Ensberg, & a top minor leaguer (Patton or Pence)? I would give that serious thought. Hate to give up Patton or Pence though. Lidge & Ensberg in a heartbeat.

bullfrog_alumni_02
10-04-2006, 12:10 PM
as much as i wish it werent the case...i just dont see the rangers winning a world series, EVER.

SWMustang
10-04-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
Girardi wont be good for the Rangers .... he's a hardline keep the pressure on type manager just like Buck was/is

I agree to some extent about not following up a hardliner with another hard liner. I didn't realize Girardi was that much of a hard liner.

g$$
10-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Girardi is getting that rap, but I believe his problems were more with management, player development, owner, etc. Girardi does come from a military background family, so he may be tougher than I think. Sure did a great job in Florida. I like him. I think Girardi goes to the Cubs, but Pinella may be in that mix too.

Keith7
10-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
as much as i wish it werent the case...i just dont see the rangers winning a world series, EVER.

well u obviously don't know much about baseball because every team comes into the season with a chance, look at the Marlins a couple of years ago, or how well the tigers did this year...

Anyways, firing Buck is sad because he is a great leader who has a good eye for talent and developes players very well, but the firing is about 6 months over due. Buck always roatated his lineup around from day to day and nobody was sure who would be playing where the next day, and this made the players angry. Buck also developed "favorites" sometimes for no particular reason, like a C.J. Wilson or Joaquin Beniot, who both have struggled the whole time buck has been here, but for some reason he would stay with them..

Who should replace him, you might ask. Well the obvious top choices for the Rangers would probably be Joe Giradi, Dusty Baker, or current hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo. Joe Giradi is likely to win manager of the year in the NL this season, but has only managed a year, while the Rangers may be looking for someone with a longer track record. Dusty Baker has that long track record, but has struggled recently with teams that are seemingly full of talent, some say he might be washed up. Rudy Jaramillo is a guy that I believe would be a great manager, he has been in the organization for years as the Ranger's hitting coach and has helped coached 3 MVPs. Most people in baseball consider him the best hitting coach in the game, and the players have a huge deal of respect for him.

None the less, the Rangers will move on with out Buck, no matter who they pick we will all still be complaining about the lack of Ranger pitching, but thats awhole different story. On the bright side though, the past two time that Buck has been fired, (with the Yankees in 1995 and the Diamondbacks in 2000) the team he was with went on to win the world series the next year. I can see it now, Texas Rangers, 2007 World Series and Texas Champs!

injuredinmelee
10-04-2006, 12:33 PM
the FLa owner was yelling at an ump and girardi told him to shut up.. that sealed his fate. Look what he did with the crap he had to work with.

Keith7
10-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Look what he did with the crap he had to work with.

Most of those players weren't really "crap" they were top prospects from other teams that they got in return when they were trading all their "good" players away

KTJ
10-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02

The same thing was said about the Mavs....

g$$
10-04-2006, 12:36 PM
I think the Rangers biggest problem is they wear down in that brutal summer heat in Arlington. It takes its toll. Attracting top pitching is also a problem, but they have some good young arms.

Rudy Jaramillo is a GREAT hitting coach. Many players, including Bagwell, have spoken so highly of him. Don't know if he's a manager though. He has definitely developed some hitters like Michael Young & others. I think the heat factor & attracting top pitchers is the biggest problem.

SWMustang
10-04-2006, 12:38 PM
how long have the Rangers had their current GM? It's not the same guy who signed that rediculous A-Rod contract is it?

Keith7
10-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
how long have the Rangers had their current GM? It's not the same guy who signed that rediculous A-Rod contract is it?

No its a new guy named John Daniels, hes 29 and has only been there a year, thank god they got rid of the old guy

3afan
10-04-2006, 12:41 PM
heard the mnew manager is John Wockenfuss (sp?)

Keith7
10-04-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I think the Rangers biggest problem is they wear down in that brutal summer heat in Arlington.

Everyone says that, but how can u account for the Braves or Marlins who play in equally hot places that can even be extremely humid at times?

Keith7
10-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
heard the mnew manager is John Wockenfuss (sp?)

where is he from?? maybe u meant Don Wakamatsu the ranger's bench coach who is supposed to be another canidate

3afan
10-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
where is he from?? maybe u meant Don Wakamatsu the ranger's bench coach who is supposed to be another canidate

i dont know what i mean - got that from an email from someone but i think its bogus

g$$
10-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Good point, & it is really humid in Atlanta & Florida. But the Texas summers are unrelenting. It beats you up mentally too. I am from the Houston area, but when I played juco baseball in Hillsboro, I will tell you the temperature is hotter up there. More humid on the coast. Just my take on it. But when you see the Rangers fade every year there must be something to it. Why did the Astros put a retractable roof on MMP? For fans & players alike. Keeps you fresher down the stretch. The dog days aren't as bad in August.

All that said, better pitching solves a lot of problems. Atlanta & Florida both won doing that.

mwynn05
10-04-2006, 02:21 PM
lee lee lee its the front office its always been wakamatsu just wont cut it yall are probably in the same room and yall are having this debate on a message board...strange

gtownpoke
10-04-2006, 02:23 PM
maybe they could call up Augie from Texas

eagles_victory
10-04-2006, 02:28 PM
lee lee lee its the front office its always been wakamatsu just wont cut it they were one of the most talented teams in the AL Buck cant get it done its just like New York and Arizona had the talent once they actually got someone who knew something about baseball they won the world series.

SWMustang
10-04-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
No its a new guy named John Daniels, hes 29 and has only been there a year, thank god they got rid of the old guy

Oh yea - I remember now. Maybe it's just me, but what qualifications does a 29 year old have of being the general manager of an MLB team? Rotisserie geek? You mean there aren't more experienced baseball men out there for the rangers to hire? Usually you hire younger so you can manipulate them