On Friday Night Lights Series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLeHiYC00XI

Also did yall notice Hutto's stadium?

kaorder1999
10-04-2006, 08:19 AM
i didnt get to see it...oh well..

Adidas410s
10-04-2006, 08:20 AM
I thought I heard it was filmed at Pflugerville's stadium.

Adidas410s
10-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i didnt get to see it...oh well..
it re-airs on NBC tonight at 7 as well btw.

kaorder1999
10-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
it re-airs on NBC tonight at 7 as well btw.

really? awesome....thanks! I wouldnt have known that...now I have an excuse not to mow the yard

Old Tiger
10-04-2006, 08:23 AM
I thought I heard it was filmed at Pflugerville's stadium. It was but in one of the clips it showed Hutto's stadium.

AggieJohn
10-04-2006, 08:24 AM
awesome

PPHSfan
10-04-2006, 08:26 AM
That show looks silly. I will have to watch tonight to be sure that it is.

Old Tiger
10-04-2006, 08:27 AM
I thought it was funny what Mack said.

Aesculus gilmus
10-04-2006, 08:27 AM
Is the floozy who is asking the player "Have you ever blitzed an older woman?" one of his teachers?

Just Watching
10-04-2006, 09:00 AM
I'll give Mack credit, he handled the role well. Pretty funny for those who caught the joke. I think he's such a good actor due to that year he spent as an assistant coach at OU:)

Adidas410s
10-04-2006, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR

One thing about Mack's role...there was no script. They told him, "You've spent enough time in your life with boosters so you know better what those talks are like than anything we could write." So he just made up his parts and the coach and to respond accordingly!

bobcat1
10-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Hey he said it! :p

Adidas410s
10-04-2006, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
That show looks silly. I will have to watch tonight to be sure that it is.
The pilot episode is somewhat silly. It's almost like a mini-movie with all of the over-dramatized story lines. I think it was done that way so that those at NBC would buy it and let them make a full season. I doubt it gets that dramatic throughout the season. We'll see...

I did like how the football on the field is pretty realistic. You don't have guys diving 5 yards at 5 ft off the ground only to get hit from two defenders out of nowhere and spun around. the football looks a lot better than some things that we have seen on the big screen.

bobcat1
10-04-2006, 09:22 AM
I did like how the football on the field is pretty realistic. Are you kidding me?

Maroon87
10-04-2006, 09:25 AM

"Everyone thinks you have to have a great QB to win a championship, but we all know that's not true."

Funny...:D

Adidas410s
10-04-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Are you kidding me?

Did you read what else I wrote??? The first play you see is the RB make about a 10 yd run and get tackled around midfield. The craziest play was the QB tackling the guy after the INT...but that wasn't a weird looking tackle other than the fact that the QB chose to try and drive him into the sidelines instead of just get in his way.

IHS Fan
10-04-2006, 09:37 AM
my favorite line-- do you like early Black Sabbath? it makes you mean.

44INAROW
10-04-2006, 09:39 AM
and I thought it was a unwritten rule - NO MAMMAS ON THE FIELD during the game (I know, the boy was critically injured and there are exception) but that is something all my boys told me - "Mom, NEVER go on the field if I get hurt"

Maroon87
10-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
and I thought it was a unwritten rule - NO MAMMAS ON THE FIELD during the game (I know, the boy was critically injured and there are exception) but that is something all my boys told me - "Mom, NEVER go on the field if I get hurt"

I told my mom the same thing.:D

IHS Fan
10-04-2006, 09:44 AM
when my son got hurt in victoria and taken off on a stretcher, i went on the field. my wife stood at the rail in the stands, but she was the first to the ambulance.

Old Tiger
10-04-2006, 09:46 AM
I told my mom the same thing but I think the exception would have to be neck or spinal injuries. That is a whole other ball game there.

g$$
10-04-2006, 10:49 AM
I thought it was a good show. Hollywood is always going to add some things anyway. Mack was good as a booster, & his "joke" was funny as well about needing a great qb to win it all. I read where it was filmed in Pflugerville & Del Valle primarily, saw a shot of Hutto's stadium too. Was that Round Rock's downtown in the one scene before the opening game? And who in Texas wears jackets in September? Weird seeing Austin Westlake as "Westsomething" in the game, uniforms & all.

The only non-realistic thing football-wise to me was the final play for the winning td. Last play of the game, down 24-21, time running out, & the desperation pass finds a wide open receiver BEHIND everybody for the score. No safeties in sight!! But I guess that's Hollywood, so no big deal. Overall, entertaining show so far.

Adidas410s
10-04-2006, 10:56 AM
at least on the last play you didn't have the QB breaking 17 tackles before throwing a bullet pass. He just kept running backwards and away from the oncoming rush and then threw a pretty weak ball to the receiver.

District303aPastPlayer
10-04-2006, 11:02 AM
at least on the last play you didn't have the QB breaking 17 tackles before throwing a bullet pass. He just kept running backwards and away from the oncoming rush and then threw a pretty weak ball to the receiver.

honestly, that COULD happen... where the DBs come up...

Old Tiger
10-04-2006, 11:03 AM
I've been seeing the SLC QB's do that year in and year out.

Adidas410s
10-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
honestly, that COULD happen... where the DBs come up...

Yeah...especially since it was a busted play and looked like he probably wouldn't get a pass off. Plus we have no way of knowing if that is a receiver from the back side of the play that came running across the field to help the QB out.

District303aPastPlayer
10-04-2006, 11:05 AM
ya know, with a series like this, you would have thought the producers would consult a bunch of the small town coaches during production

Old Tiger
10-04-2006, 11:06 AM
ya know, with a series like this, you would have thought the producers would consult a bunch of the small town coaches during production It's based on modern 5a teams?

District303aPastPlayer
10-04-2006, 11:10 AM
It's based on modern 5a teams?

i think so... as long as they dont reference 6A anytime, im okay with the show

Adidas410s
10-04-2006, 11:12 AM
i think so... as long as they dont reference 6A anytime, im okay with the show
other than the part where they keep referring to it as "small town Texas." I'm sorry...but there are very few, if any, 5A towns that look like those in the show. Also, you don't see many 5A towns that shut down the town before the football games. Now in A, 2A, or 3A...it's much more common.

District303aPastPlayer
10-04-2006, 11:13 AM
other than the part where they keep referring to it as "small town Texas." I'm sorry...but there are very few, if any, 5A towns that look like those in the show. Also, you don't see many 5A towns that shut down the town before the football games. Now in A, 2A, or 3A...it's much more common.

i can tell you right now, our businesses here in town dont close to go to the game...

Old Tiger
10-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Nor do they in Rockdale. They see Friday nights as nights to make the big bucks.

Txbroadcaster
10-04-2006, 11:22 AM
For those that say the final play could not happen..just need to look back at the Midland High loss in the finals a few years ago..it was pretty much on a deep Pass in the last minute or so when the WR got behind the CB AND the safety...My only problem is they have already used up the last play to win a game storyline.

They can have them win or lose in the last minute, but if they fall into a rut where they win/lose in last 10 seconds then the show becomes to far out there.

g$$
10-04-2006, 11:25 AM
You don't have to be a small or big-time coach, just a football fan, to know nobody gets behind you on the last play of the game! I mean NO ONE was in sight. Keep everything in front of you. I would have liked it more if the guy makes the catch & breaks a couple of tackles to win the game.

But you're right - on a busted play weird stuff happens & they are high school kids. Just my 2 cents. Show was ok. Looks like they are going to push some hot button topics like racism, inter-racial relationships, celebrity status, over-bearing parents, religion in school, etc. I will watch again.

District303aPastPlayer
10-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
For those that say the final play could not happen..just need to look back at the Midland High loss in the finals a few years ago..it was pretty much on a deep Pass in the last minute or so when the WR got behind the CB AND the safety...My only problem is they have already used up the last play to win a game storyline.

They can have them win or lose in the last minute, but if they fall into a rut where they win/lose in last 10 seconds then the show becomes to far out there.

Midland High vs Converse Judson...
Alamodome...
Total pandamonium

If memory serves... MHS hadn't been to the playoffs in 51 years, and hadn't beat Lee in a long while too. they just got on a roll. at the end of the game... MHS scored, their sidelines and fans were going nuts... Judson just broke one for a good gain on the kick off... the next and last play of the game... long TD pass for the win

g$$
10-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Didn't Katy beat SLC 2 years ago on a similar desperation pass in San Antonio for the 5A Title? SLC's only loss in like 70 games right? No doubt it can happen, but in the 1st show in the 1st game? Kinda Hollywood to me.

Edit: 2003 Katy beat SLC (so 15-1) in the Alamodome for the title. SLC undefeated 2002, 2004, 2005, & so far this year.

Old Tiger
10-04-2006, 11:29 AM
That game ended in an interception on SLC's final drive.

Adidas410s
10-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by g$$
But you're right - on a busted play weird stuff happens & they are high school kids. Just my 2 cents. Show was ok. Looks like they are going to push some hot button topics like racism, inter-racial relationships, celebrity status, over-bearing parents, religion in school, etc. I will watch again.

Have you read the FNL book??? It addresses many of those same issues.

g$$
10-04-2006, 11:36 AM
But, & I could be wrong, Katy scored in the final minute on a long pass to take the lead. Then SLC threw the pick & game over. Great finish is what I remember, & SLC actually lost!!

g$$
10-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Of course I read the book/saw the movie. It's required reading right for anyone in Texas!! I was a senior in high school & we lost in the state semis that same year (1988-1989). I was just saying they are touching on many of these same themes in the tv show. Hard to do a show without covering real life stuff.

bobcat1
10-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Midland High vs Converse Judson...

If memory serves... MHS hadn't been to the playoffs in 51 years, and hadn't beat Lee in a long while too. they just got on a roll. at the end of the game... MHS scored, their sidelines and fans were going nuts... Judson just broke one for a good gain on the kick off... the next and last play of the game... long TD pass for the win

You are correct! Watched the joy turn to heartbreak in seconds and vice a versa.

WestTXLonghorn
10-04-2006, 02:02 PM
As if Texas' recruiting wasn't good enough, this performance by Mack just helps out that much more.

He did have an unfair advantage tho, since I believe his daughter works in Hollywood.

Adidas410s
10-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by WestTXLonghorn
As if Texas' recruiting wasn't good enough, this performance by Mack just helps out that much more.

He did have an unfair advantage tho, since I believe his daughter works in Hollywood.

Seriously...how did this help recruiting one bit???

Emerson1
10-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Am I the only one who caught what mack says at the :55 mark?

WestTXLonghorn
10-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Seriously...how did this help recruiting one bit???

I dunno. . .maybe because Friday Night Lights is THE football book/movie/story and Mack was in the T.V. series with a cameo. So every kid, dad, mom, and high school coach that watches sees Mack and realizes he's the King of Texas right now in football. It can only better his chances at landing recruits. But you're right. . .our recruiting is already pretty close to perfect so it can't help out THAT much.

g$$
10-04-2006, 06:14 PM
It doesn't hurt either that filming is taking place in nearby Del Valle & Pflugerville. I agree though, face time on tv sure doesn't hurt with recruits. Mack is everywhere right now.

Phil C
10-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Magnificient! :clap:

ILS1
10-04-2006, 07:00 PM
On Friday Night Lights Series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLeHiYC00XI

Also did yall notice Hutto's stadium?

Yeah,I saw it!!! I was SHOCKED!!! Or pleasantly surprised is more like it!!!!

:D