PDA

View Full Version : FSN Rankings for 3a football has Gilmer Buckeyes ranked 2

GilmerwinState
10-04-2006, 12:22 AM
I was watching fsn top 10 and Cuero was ranked 1 and Gilmer Buckeyes was ranked 2. How can you be ranked 2 if you beat the defending state champions in DIV II that was undefeated last season and there only loss was against Gilmer this year. Anyone else have an opinion on FSN rankings. I believe there the only ones to have Cuero over Gilmer in rankings though

District303aPastPlayer
10-04-2006, 12:30 AM
have you NOT seen the AP poll?

SilsbeeD
10-04-2006, 12:32 AM
are you really that upset about it?

District303aPastPlayer
10-04-2006, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by SilsbeeD

dont you know, Gilmer this year, according to this guy, could beat Peyton and the Colts :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

EastTeXBulldog
10-04-2006, 01:51 AM
maye not the colts but they could stomp anyone in 30 3a.

3afan
10-04-2006, 07:48 AM
does FSN actually use the AP poll?

lostaussie
10-04-2006, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by GilmerwinState
I was watching fsn top 10 and Cuero was ranked 1 and Gilmer Buckeyes was ranked 2. How can you be ranked 2 if you beat the defending state champions in DIV II that was undefeated last season and there only loss was against Gilmer this year. Anyone else have an opinion on FSN rankings. I believe there the only ones to have Cuero over Gilmer in rankings though It will be ok man, I promise:doh:

greenpride
10-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Why get upset over what other people think and say. It only matters at the end of the year when the last one standing gets to hoist the State Champion trophy. I'm sure Cuero would gladly give you the #1 ranking if knowing in the end they would be holding the hardware. GET OVER IT!

Ranger Mom
10-04-2006, 08:41 AM
WHO CARES????

lostaussie
10-04-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
WHO CARES???? evidently GWS does:D

44INAROW
10-04-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
evidently GWS does:D

and he has no problem telling everyone :)

Aesculus gilmus
10-04-2006, 08:50 AM
The AP ranking used to bother me, but now that there is a chance Gilmer and Cuero will meet, I don't mind.

Now if they ARE in different divisions and Cuero is still ranked No. 1 after both win state, that would be troubling.

However, I am not sure there even IS a postseason poll as there is after the BCS bowl games.

Ranger Mom
10-04-2006, 08:53 AM
For the life of me, I don't see why people care where someone ranks them.

It's just an opinion!! If someone thinks some team is better than another team....who cares??

But that's okay...I get a good laugh out of someone complaining about rankings!!:D

3afan
10-04-2006, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
The AP ranking used to bother me, but now that there is a chance Gilmer and Cuero will meet, I don't mind.

Now if they ARE in different divisions and Cuero is still ranked No. 1 after both win state, that would be troubling.

However, I am not sure there even IS a postseason poll as there is after the BCS bowl games.

why? Gilmer would be state champs? why care about a ranking even then?

Just Watching
10-04-2006, 09:11 AM
It'll all be settled in the end. High School polls are just for conversation. I wouldn't be too upset about a ranking, or lack of, unless it determined playoff seedings, which won't happen.

Aesculus gilmus
10-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
why? Gilmer would be state champs? why care about a ranking even then?

No, Gilmer would be ONE of the state champs. There would be no undisputed champ of Class 3A. There never is. And the AP poll would likely still declare Cuero to be No. 1. This sort of thing, BTW, was one of the main reasons behind the formation of the BCS.

I said I don't really care anymore. Everyone in Gilmer goes around saying we are "top-ranked" anyhow. The AP doesn't exist and neither does this other poll or the one which had Giddings No. 1.

JT44
10-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Why is their such a big deal made of the rankings by some Gilmer posters?
Do they feel they must "defend" how good their team is?
Rankings don't mean a thing,and Cuero knows this first hand
See the last two years for examples.
Rankings are just popular opinions and respect given to programs by people who are supposed to know hs football.
It gives the fans,player, and parents something to brag about until the playoffs where you have to show you deserve that ranking.

3afan
10-04-2006, 12:07 PM
No, Gilmer would be ONE of the state champs. There would be no undisputed champ of Class 3A. There never is. And the AP poll would likely still declare Cuero to be No. 1. This sort of thing, BTW, was one of the main reasons behind the formation of the BCS.

I said I don't really care anymore. Everyone in Gilmer goes around saying we are "top-ranked" anyhow. The AP doesn't exist and neither does this other poll or the one which had Giddings No. 1.

my point is - you'll be state champs!!!!! and you'll be able to claim that for all time. so what if there were other state champs?

lostaussie
10-04-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by JT44
i'm glad you said "some":D

LHPfactory
10-04-2006, 12:31 PM
my point is - you'll be state champs!!!!! and you'll be able to claim that for all time. so what if there were other state champs? :

Unless another Hutto comes along and knocks Gilmer into the post season like what happened to Cuero last year. We played Hutto and Cuero, Cuero was clearly a better team, however, Hutto was able to beat them in that game. I doubt they could have done it twice, and I bet Cuero would have beat tatum in the final. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE PLAYOFFS------ANYTHING!

Your team can go 13 and NO..... (no meaning out in the semis and no championship).

injuredinmelee
10-04-2006, 01:11 PM
any network that would employ Rick Renner cant be all that good.

GreenMachine
10-04-2006, 01:14 PM
I don't care where we are ranked as long as we hoist the state championship trophy! :D

big daddy russ
10-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by EastTeXBulldog
maye not the colts but they could stomp anyone in 30 3a.
LOL. They could stomp 99% of 3A teams across the state, why would district 30 be any different?

After watching this season play out, I firmly believe that Giddings, Cuero, WO-S, and Bellville are the cream of the crop (and yes, I'll keep preaching Bellville until I die), and that Cuero's the only team out of all of them with as much talent as Gilmer.

DU_stud04
10-04-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by JT44
Do they feel they must "defend" how good their team is?

nearly all of the gilmer talk comes from fans not from gilmer. the gilmer posters(well, the majority of them) are very humble. its the new posters "from" gilmer doin the talkin. and they dont have to defend their team, they're good. :D

Aesculus gilmus
10-04-2006, 02:08 PM
my point is - you'll be state champs!!!!! and you'll be able to claim that for all time. so what if there were other state champs?

I think there are now "too many winners," IMHO (or IMNSHO, as many would say).

It's all about self-esteem, I guess. But I will never agree with either the "two champs out of every class" policy OR the "three (or even four) teams make the playoffs out of each district" policy.

This has nothing to do with rankings. I have already said I don't care about that anymore. The only time I ever commented on Gilmer's ranking was when the Cuero QB seemed to think it was a big deal after the first game of the season. It's the guy who started the thread who still has a problem with the rankings.

I do, however, STILL hope Cuero and Gilmer meet in the Division I final so this can be settled, once and for all.

3afan
10-04-2006, 02:21 PM
I do, however, STILL hope Cuero and Gilmer meet in the Division I final so this can be settled, once and for all.

oh yeah

Hupernikomen
10-04-2006, 02:36 PM

It's all about self-esteem, I guess. But I will never agree with either the "two champs out of every class" policy OR the "three (or even four) teams make the playoffs out of each district" policy.

This has nothing to do with rankings. I have already said I don't care about that anymore. The only time I ever commented on Gilmer's ranking was when the Cuero QB seemed to think it was a big deal after the first game of the season. It's the guy who started the thread who still has a problem with the rankings.

It won't be settled because either way there will be two state champs.

STANG RED
10-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Ya know, when you think about it, Gilmer really isn’t in all that enviable of a position.
Anything short of the D1 state championship is going to be considered to be a failure by most. What’s even sadder is, if they don’t win the state title, many of those boys are going to feel like failures, and they are anything but. They are going to have a great season, and should make a deep playoff run, which should be enough to make anyone proud. I just hate to see that much pressure put on a bunch of 16, 17, and 18 year olds.

Aesculus gilmus
10-04-2006, 02:45 PM
I can guarantee you that Gilmer will love its Buckeyes, no matter what happens.

In 2003, once it got rolling, that team thought it was going to win state and was bitterly disappointed when it came up against Atlanta, but no one in the community ever had anything but good things to say about that team.

This is true of all the teams. It's only a game, after all. And it's only even one sport out of many, although it is obviously the most popular sport of the ones the UIL oversees.

GreenMachine
10-04-2006, 05:10 PM

I do, however, STILL hope Cuero and Gilmer meet in the Division I final so this can be settled, once and for all. The Gobbler quarterback is a class act all the way!

Aesculus gilmus
10-04-2006, 05:42 PM
You might say he's No. 1. :clap:

The AP did and, as he said, he went out on the field against Sinton that night and backed it up. Good job.

44INAROW
10-04-2006, 05:52 PM
never mind.. :rolleyes:
Before I get myself in trouble. I think I am going to put myself on a "self-imposed ROMMING" for a while. I keep wanting to reply and I don't want to stoop to that level :p

jlwzz
10-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Ya know, when you think about it, Gilmer really isn’t in all that enviable of a position.
Anything short of the D1 state championship is going to be considered to be a failure by most. What’s even sadder is, if they don’t win the state title, many of those boys are going to feel like failures, and they are anything but. They are going to have a great season, and should make a deep playoff run, which should be enough to make anyone proud. I just hate to see that much pressure put on a bunch of 16, 17, and 18 year olds.
Very well put, i know that the pressure in there town, and in there minds say if we dont win state we failed.

It aint right but we all know its true.

and everybody is wanting to knock off NO. 1 to make there season

Mustangpride09
10-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by GilmerwinState
I was watching fsn top 10 and Cuero was ranked 1 and Gilmer Buckeyes was ranked 2. How can you be ranked 2 if you beat the defending state champions in DIV II that was undefeated last season and there only loss was against Gilmer this year. Anyone else have an opinion on FSN rankings. I believe there the only ones to have Cuero over Gilmer in rankings though

You already said that you guarenteed Gilmer would win state, why do rankings matter to you?

GreenMachine
10-04-2006, 09:01 PM
You might say he's No. 1. :clap:

The AP did and, as he said, he went out on the field against Sinton that night and backed it up. Good job. Well I don't know this Kinne kid from adam, but I wouldn't swap our quarterback for him, or anyone! He is an outstanding young man as well as a tremendous athlete and scholar.

GreenMachine
10-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Didn't mean any disrespect to the Kinne kid because I'm sure he is also a great kid and is obviously a phenomenal athlete. :clap:

manormustangs
10-04-2006, 09:40 PM
I KNOW GILMER HAS TALENT BUT BEING NUMBER ONE DOESENT MEAN ANYTHING......JUST KEEP PLAYING LIKE YALL HAVE AND AT THE END IF YALL ARE AS GOOD AS YALL SAY THEN YALL SHOULD END UP #1 AND A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP....TILL THEN JUST KEEP PLAYING.........REMEMBER LAST YEAR TATUM WASENT EVEN IN THE TOP 10 AND THEY ONE THE CHAMPIONSHIP....

sweetwater07
10-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by SilsbeeD

(rookie)...every town has a diehard fan..."my town can't be beat because...."