PDA

View Full Version : Rockets sign Bonzi Wells

Bull's-eye
10-03-2006, 09:15 PM
NBA teams have started practicing for the current season. Houston has a couple of new players in Bonzi Wells and Shane Battier. With a healthy Yao and TMac, can this team challenge Dallas and San Antonio?

JR2004
10-03-2006, 09:22 PM
No.

My favorite team is as down as it's been in a decade out in LA and they still don't have a better team put together than the horrible looking thing we're throwing out there every night.

Bull's-eye
10-03-2006, 09:32 PM
Rockets had a very impressive record when both Yao and TMac were on the court. Battier, a deadly shooter, should get plenty of open looks and Wells was money in last year's playoffs.

SWMustang
10-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Rockets had a very impressive record when both Yao and TMac were on the court. Battier, a deadly shooter, should get plenty of open looks and Wells was money in last year's playoffs.

Doesn't Bonzi turn into a malcontent when he doesn't get the number of shots he thinks he should have?

awizzy
10-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Doesn't Bonzi turn into a malcontent when he doesn't get the number of shots he thinks he should have?
yea he did but that was with the kings and grizzlies...neither team had a super star like tmac or yao...so maybe that will keep him in check...bc wells adds another athlete on the team and with shane to hit the trees will free up yao more...i think if they stay healty they good make a run at it

SWMustang
10-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by awizzy
yea he did but that was with the kings and grizzlies...neither team had a super star like tmac or yao...so maybe that will keep him in check...bc wells adds another athlete on the team and with shane to hit the trees will free up yao more...i think if they stay healty they good make a run at it

No doubt Bonzi is a good pickup and if he can handle being a second fiddle to Tmac and Yao and chip in 15 points a game - the rockets will be better than the mavs next year -

Bulldog_12
10-03-2006, 10:13 PM
If they gel together, I think this team could be potent if Yao and T-mac stay healthy. Thats a HUGE if though.

Bull's-eye
10-03-2006, 10:48 PM
After Yao, I don't see too much inside. Mutombo is very old and can only provide so many minutes. Playing Howard at center is a possibility, but he really doesn't play a physical game. The Rockets may miss the inside play of Stromile Swift.

Another player to keep an eye on is Vassilis Spanoulis. He is a 6'4" guard from Greece and was on the national team that defeated the USA.

Highschoolfan78
10-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
After Yao, I don't see too much inside. Mutombo is very old and can only provide so many minutes. Playing Howard at center is a possibility, but he really doesn't play a physical game. The Rockets may miss the inside play of Stromile Swift.

Another player to keep an eye on is Vassilis Spanoulis. He is a 6'4" guard from Greece and was on the national team that defeated the USA.

geez i didnt realize they lost Swift.. that does hurt.. i think bonzie is a great pickup, but they still lack at the PG position in my opinion.

AggieJohn
10-04-2006, 12:31 AM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/73/full.getty-72035471bb003_houstonrocket_9_23_32_pm.jpg
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/48/full.getty-72035471bb001_houstonrocket_9_20_11_pm.jpg

District303aPastPlayer
10-04-2006, 12:45 AM
This is a good pickup by the Rockets...

g$$
10-04-2006, 11:11 AM
I like the additions of Wells & Battier. Inside depth is a question, but trading Swift to Memphis (Swift & rights to Rudy Gay for Battier) is a good thing. Houston actually will have an NBA roster for the 1st time in a while. Swift is a great athlete but soft. Battier provides leadership, defense, hustle, & a good shooter. Yao & T-Mac have to stay healthy; if so, probably a 50+ win team.

Alston, Wells, T-Mac, Howard, Yao...then a good bench should mean improvement. Overtaking Dallas, Spurs, & Phoenix is still a big question mark until we see how they come together & play. The Greek guard Spanoulis can play, agreed. He was great in the win vs. USA a few weeks ago.

District303aPastPlayer
10-04-2006, 11:12 AM
I forgot Skip to My Lou was a Rocket still...

awizzy
10-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Highschoolfan78
geez i didnt realize they lost Swift.. that does hurt.. i think bonzie is a great pickup, but they still lack at the PG position in my opinion.

swift is overated...hes only good for a dunk or two a night..i was never impressed buy him

g$$
10-04-2006, 11:52 AM
I am not near as worried about the PG position as depth inside. The Rockets need a big banger & enforcer inside. Howard is more of a finesse guy. Someone to help Yao with the big bodies. At PG you have Alston, Spanoulis, Head, Lucas, etc.

Agreed on Swift. Highlight reel dunker, little else. Plus his contract was an albatross, so good riddance. This team will be better for sure. How much better is the question?

District303aPastPlayer
10-04-2006, 12:01 PM
They got Luther Head, Skip Alston, and JL3? damn....

big daddy russ
10-04-2006, 12:06 PM
They've got tons of talent and depth on the wings, the only thing that could hurt them is depth in the frontcourt.

Other than that, they're probably one of the top four or five teams in the West... at least on paper.

Maroon87
10-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Now, if Van Gundy would cheer up they might be on to something...:p

g$$
10-04-2006, 12:17 PM
Owner Les Alexander has actually asked JVG to be less grumpy & more upbeat. Said fans have grown tired of it. We'll see how long that lasts! JVG is a different guy in interviews & even funny out of season. During season, doom & gloom.

Maroon87
10-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Owner Les Alexander has actually asked JVG to be less grumpy & more upbeat. Said fans have grown tired of it. We'll see how long that lasts! JVG is a different guy in interviews & even funny out of season. During season, doom & gloom.

I sat across the aisle from JVG at an Astros game a couple years back. Even then he looked like someone shot his dog.:nerd:

g$$
10-04-2006, 12:27 PM
I bet the new JVG lasts about 2 weeks! I like his defensive mind, but I wish he would play more uptempo on offense. Just not his style I guess. He is so hands-on to the point the Rockets look stagnant at times on offense. No flow or rhythm. He does have more pieces now, so we'll see.

Bull's-eye
10-04-2006, 12:59 PM
This morning's Houston Chronicle is talking about T-Mac being a point forward and that JVG has been drawing up all kind of new offensive plays. In the past, they would work mainly on defense and offense was second fiddle.

g$$
10-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Good. Now let's see it when the games start!

Bull's-eye
10-05-2006, 10:49 PM
Another interesting player is this year's 2nd round draft pick Steve Novak. Here's what T-Mac had to say:

"He is the best shooter I've ever seen," McGrady said. "I don't care if he can do anything else. He can shoot and I love the way he shoots. I don't care if he can't dribble, he can't rebound, can't play defense, that man can shoot the ball."

bulldogman06
10-06-2006, 01:21 AM
This team may make the playoffs, but they will not be better than SA or Dallas. They are just too experienced and talented right now. Maybe in a year or two with that talent Houston could be better, but not yet