PDA

View Full Version : Don't make College football like club tennis

Pudlugger
10-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Phil C has a good point in his post about UT playing SHSU. So what if the Longhorns are playing down. They shine a flashlight on a deserving program. I would love to see every big time Texas team play the 1AA teams in Texas. [In club tennis the best players are loathe to play the up and comers because a loss would be so devastating to their image.] After all, it serves the good of the sport doesn't it?

coach
10-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Phil C has a good point in his post about UT playing SHSU. So what if the Longhorns are playing down. They shine a flashlight on a deserving program. I would love to see every big time Texas team play the 1AA teams in Texas. [In club tennis the best players are loathe to play the up and comers because a loss would be so devastating to their image.] After all, it serves the good of the sport doesn't it?

i dont i rather see matchups like texas osu or the matchup that was suppose to be a&m and florida state or texas teams could play some sec teams

Pudlugger
10-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by coach
i dont i rather see matchups like texas osu or the matchup that was suppose to be a&m and florida state or texas teams could play some sec teams

Buy a comma or a period.:D

KTJ
10-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by coach

There really is no benefit playing that type of OOC schedule every game. Playing one of those games per year, yeah, that's great. Playing those types of games for all 4 or 5 OOC games--no way.

Not to mention, with the BCS system in place, those games aren't really necessary, no matter how much you or I want to see them.

As I said a few days ago, SHSU was freaking excited to play UT. They enjoyed theirselves in Austin. Most of those SHSU kids have never and will never play in front of the type of atmosphere at DKR. They had a blast and their coach loved it. They knew they didn't have that much of a shot at winning, but they got to work on some things against better athletes that will help them win the Southland.

Pudlugger
10-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
There really is no benefit playing that type of OOC schedule every game. Playing one of those games per year, yeah, that's great. Playing those types of games for all 4 or 5 OOC games--no way.

Not to mention, with the BCS system in place, those games aren't really necessary, no matter how much you or I want to see them.

As I said a few days ago, SHSU was freaking excited to play UT. They enjoyed theirselves in Austin. Most of those SHSU kids have never and will never play in front of the type of atmosphere at DKR. They had a blast and their coach loved it. They knew they didn't have that much of a shot at winning, but they got to work on some things against better athletes that will help them win the Southland.

That's what I mean, play one game each season with a 1AA Texas school and build other programs. A rising tide lifts all boats.

mwynn05
10-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

As I said a few days ago, SHSU was freaking excited to play UT. They enjoyed theirselves in Austin. Most of those SHSU kids have never and will never play in front of the type of atmosphere at DKR. They had a blast and their coach loved it. They knew they didn't have that much of a shot at winning, but they got to work on some things against better athletes that will help them win the Southland. I never saw where he said there was any benefit to playing those games he just said he would like to see them as any fan would