PDA

View Full Version : Are we too scared of everything?

big daddy russ
10-03-2006, 11:14 AM
My girlfriend won't go swimming in the ocean because she's scared of sharks. She also freaks out and tells me to call after every surf trip because I'm going to get eaten, then freaks out when I refuse to. Moms won't let kids play with BB guns because a friend who knows a friends who has an uncle who knows a coworker's son shot his eye out... and we're actually having discussions on doing away with firearms.

Whether or not the amendment was originally intended for a "well-armed militia," we seem to forget the fact that a militia wouldn't be "well-armed" if they couldn't acquire guns because the government outlawed them.

Are we so scared of every little thing happening to us that we're willing to outlaw everything, take away our own rights, and force our little leaguers to wear those stupid helmets with face guards for the rest of eternity?

Are we really willing to sacrifice our liberty for security?

Remember, this isn't what you believe, this is what you think the rest of the world believes.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-03-2006, 11:16 AM
I think so. Look at how many people are willing to give up their rights in support of the Patriot Act. I don't want a reply to this, it's just my personal opinion.

bullfrog_alumni_02
10-03-2006, 11:32 AM
i think everyone is too affraid of everything, getting hurt and breaking a bone or whatever is a part of life. it sucks, but it happens. having to get stitches sucks, but it happens. when we get them we learn what happened and make ourselves better. if you dont allow yourself to attempt something you have zero % chance of accomplishing whatever goal you werent able to accomplish. besides, if i want to havea gun. i should be allowed to. if someone elses doesnt want a gun, they shouldnt force everyone around them to not have the right to own a gun. the same thing goes for everything else, dont take others freedoms cause you dont like or believe in something. i dont agree with homosexuality, however i think that if someone is that orientation they should be afforded the same rights as everyone else. america is supposed to be freedom, not the opposite which is what it seems we are heading towards.

AP Panther Fan
10-03-2006, 12:04 PM
Unfortunately these aren't the "good ol' days" that we live in.

Some people (like me and your girlfriend) have and always will fear sharks....no matter what the animal rights activists tell us. You swim with them, you might get bit...fact of life.

As for moms and bb guns, my son was taught to use one responsibly by his dad, but the fact still remains he could have shot his (or someone else's) eye out because we chose to let him have one and accidents happen.

I am not "for" outlawing guns or taking away other personal freedoms...HOWEVER...in today's society extra steps are needed if we are going to attempt to protect innocent lives (especially our children and your future children).

PS....get over the baseball helmet thing, you will be glad your son has a full set of teeth someday.:D

WestTXLonghorn
10-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Nah, the best things to be scared of are the ones the scientists tell you to worry about. Like massive earthquakes. . .asteroids hitting the Earth. . .global warming causing us to all drown because of rising oceans. . .or super massive solar flares from the sun. THOSE things you need to worry about. . .sharks are piddly in comparison.;)

Bandera YaYa
10-03-2006, 01:41 PM
I will secretly admit....YES I AM AFRAID OF EVERYTHING!!! When you become a mother...or a parent, I think you tend to look at things differently...you're offspring are out there in the cold harsh world, and you do imagine what horrible things could happen. It's a sad thing, but this world is insanely crazy!!!! In a perfectly sane world, guns would be used only for hunting and for protection. Alas, it is not so....... :(

Bandera YaYa
10-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by WestTXLonghorn
Nah, the best things to be scared of are the ones the scientists tell you to worry about. Like massive earthquakes. . .asteroids hitting the Earth. . .global warming causing us to all drown because of rising oceans. . .or super massive solar flares from the sun. THOSE things you need to worry about. . .sharks are piddly in comparison.;) Funny, but those kinda things never enter my mind.....I worry more about the drunk driver driving the same roads as my kids or the "reformed" molester living down the street....

Boosty_Hondo
10-03-2006, 01:46 PM
i think we are way to scared of everything i dont know why whough but oh well

Gobbla2001
10-03-2006, 01:48 PM
I worry about cops stuffin' me with a DWI for passing a field sobriety test yet blowing a beer and a half over the limit :mad:

Boosty_Hondo
10-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I worry about cops stuffin' me with a DWI for passing a field sobriety test yet blowing a beer and a half over the limit :mad:

did that really happen?

Gobbla2001
10-03-2006, 01:53 PM
:(

Boosty_Hondo
10-03-2006, 01:58 PM
i guess that is a yes if u got it in cuero maybe my dad gaveit to you lol

Gobbla2001
10-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Boosty_Hondo
i guess that is a yes if u got it in cuero maybe my dad gaveit to you lol

nah, in Cuero you can drink three beers at a friend's after work and feel safe to drive to your house because you know you can drive...

Boosty_Hondo
10-03-2006, 02:00 PM
oh ok lol sorry to hear that anyways

Gobbla2001
10-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Boosty_Hondo
oh ok lol sorry to hear that anyways

hell the man did what he was supposed to I guess...

can't hate him....

he actually said after he left the station "Man, Derick, I'm sorry I have to do this to you, you're a super nice guy, we just crossed paths on the wrong night"...

The judge likes me too, everyone liked me...

why??? because I was sober...

Boosty_Hondo
10-03-2006, 02:05 PM
lol ya he has to do his job make money some how but u always cant have the best of luck even when u have just had a few but everything happens for a reason

BTEXDAD
10-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Unfortunately these aren't the "good ol' days" that we live in.

Just wanted to say that an "old timer" friend of mine says these ARE the good old days and I agree. He went through and I can also remember a few things when I was young with no air conditioning, only black and white television, no microwaves, only one car in the family, no indoor plumbing, etc, etc......
I have no desire to go back to some other kind of "good old days."
People need to realize life in United States is better than it has ever been and if we work at it will get even better. Then twenty years from now, those will be the "good old days".
There have been threats to our freedom and way of life often through the years but with high speed media, these threats are more readily publicized now than in the past, but they've always been around.
The thing I'm most afraid of is the fact that many of the biggest threats to the united States way of life appear to be coming from within, from people who call themselves citizens of US. (example Cindy Sheehan).
Talk has been of George W's low approval rating, but check history sometime. Harry Truman had approval rating of 29% at one time until he dropped bombs on Japan and ended the war. Now history considers him one of the better presidents.
Abraham Lincoln is also acknowledged by Historians as one of the better presidents ever, but he was the most hated man in the United States by BOTH the north and the south at the peak of the civil war. Both Truman and LIncoln had things they believed in and stayed the course. Refused to cut and run.

Oops, I got political!

Gobbla2001
10-03-2006, 02:14 PM
but for real, I don't like sharks either...

When I was 15 we had our camper up in Freeport for a couple of weeks, I was only up there for 1 of 'em... my mother and I went down to the beach and I was body-boarding (okay, trying to body-board) and we were about 70 or so yards out... some pretty good waves that day and about 20 yards from my mother I saw about a 5 foot sharks up in one of the waves chasing a fix or whatever in the hell it was doing... I yelled "Mom, let's get out of the water there was a shark behind you" so we left...

I still go in the water, but I keep my eyes wide-open for them sobs...

mistanice
10-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
hell the man did what he was supposed to I guess...

can't hate him....

he actually said after he left the station "Man, Derick, I'm sorry I have to do this to you, you're a super nice guy, we just crossed paths on the wrong night"...

The judge likes me too, everyone liked me...

why??? because I was sober...

thats what's wrong with society.....favoritism overrules line of authority. just not in this particular situation.

Gobbla2001
10-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
thats what's wrong with society.....favoritism overrules line of authority. just not in this particular situation.

well in this particular county they're tough on the outside but soft on the inside... meaning don't be an outsider when you're brought in...

work with a man who was a sherrif's deputy for this county about 13 years ago... about 6 years ago his dad was brought in for DWI (was really blasted) along with his friend who was riding with him (realllly blasted)...

the guy I work with went to the scene (heard it on the scanner) to see what was goin' on... he got there and his dad and friend had already been hauled off to jail... he walked up to the officer and the officer recognized him "Hey, I think we just got your dad"...

that officer radio'd in to the station...

what went on there was his dad was about to go before the judge in the station to get his bond set, but his dad was immediately stopped and told to sit back down...

15 minutes later my co-worker walked in and they turned his dad and friend over to him...

nada for the daddy and friend...

I said "damn I should have given you a call"