PDA

View Full Version : Inside 1 Min Coaching Strategy

Bullaholic
10-03-2006, 10:58 AM
I wonder how many times the following game scenario has actually been employed by coaches:

A team has the ball 1st and 10 on their opponent's 15 yard line and the game is tied at 14. There is 50 seconds left on the clock. The ball is snapped on 1st down, handed off to the RB off right guard and he takes it in, untouched, on the longest gainer of the night for the score. The PAT kick is good and the score is 21-14. On the following kickoff the ball is returned to the 40. After a series of runs and passes, this team scores with 3 secs left, attempts a 2 pt. conversion---makes it, and wins 22-21.

My question is this----Do you think that in actual games that coaches have let the other team score in the last minute to keep them from running out the clock, knowing that a team's only chance to win is to get the ball on the kickoff, take it down for a score and 2 pt. conversion to win, or 1pt to tie?

Adidas410s
10-03-2006, 11:08 AM
I wouldn't doubt that this has happened before in some instances. It's also a large reason why you will see some teams have the RB run into the line but get the ball centered...run the clock down...call timeout...and then kick their FG. Obviously this scenario happens more in higher levels because of the ability of the kicker.

Send_the_House
10-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Um no, play defense...

big daddy russ
10-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I wonder how many times the following game scenario has actually been employed by coaches:

A team has the ball 1st and 10 on their opponent's 15 yard line and the game is tied at 14. There is 50 seconds left on the clock. The ball is snapped on 1st down, handed off to the RB off right guard and he takes it in, untouched, on the longest gainer of the night for the score. The PAT kick is good and the score is 21-14. On the following kickoff the ball is returned to the 40. After a series of runs and passes, this team scores with 3 secs left, attempts a 2 pt. conversion---makes it, and wins 22-21.

My question is this----Do you think that in actual games that coaches have let the other team score in the last minute to keep them from running out the clock, knowing that a team's only chance to win is to get the ball on the kickoff, take it down for a score and 2 pt. conversion to win, or 1pt to tie?
See Sinton/Hitchcock circa 1990. Gary Davenport's greatest moment as a coach, IMO.

kaorder1999
10-03-2006, 11:27 AM
tied at 14 you play defense and force them to kick the FG and pray for a block....if you are down and they can run the clock out to win if you dont have TO's then you let them score if they dumb enough to run a play....

kaorder1999
10-03-2006, 11:29 AM
if they are on the 1 yard line then yeah...maybe let them score....but at the 15 you have to play defense

Pudlugger
10-03-2006, 11:33 AM
This is an interesting point. I recall in 2003 the Leps were playing a very good Orangefield team in round two. The Bobcats had a talented qb and a tall very talented receiver that were teaming up on long passes all night. After almost 4 quarters it was tied up 14 all. The Bobcats were driving with a little over a minute left to the Lep 40. The Lep safety made a great play on a pass to this all state receiver for an interception on the 7 yard line. With about 50 seconds on the clock Case Anderle, the Lep all state qb, broke a tackle over the middle and ran down the left sideline. The Bobcat safety had the angle on him and pushed him out on the one. The Leps took a knee on the next three plays to expend Orangefield's timeouts and called timeout with one second on the clock. With a freshman kicker they kicked the winning field goal to advance to round three. I had wondered if it would have been better for the Bobcats if Anderle had just run it in. The Bobcats had timeouts and could have mounted a drive with 40 second left on the clock. Oh well, that's one of the great things about football, strategy and execution being so important in the outcome.

CenTexSports
10-03-2006, 11:40 AM
I don't think it happens much anymore but it used to happen quite frequently when ties were settled by penatrations (but it was usually when the team with the ball was inside the 20 and it was almost a sure thing that they were going to score anyway.

Bullaholic
10-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Send_the_House
Um no, play defense...

And what do you do if they finally score with 3 secs left after you have played defense?

wimbo_pro
10-03-2006, 11:46 AM
I think it would be incredibly risky for a coach to tell his team "let them score". You never know what could happen (fumble, penalties, etc). If he does this and then HE turns it over on the "game winning drive", he will be the goat and will have an outcry from the supporters for that decision. It would be hard to defend that kind of game plan.Has it happened before? I am sure it has.

Phil C
10-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
See Sinton/Hitchcock circa 1990. Gary Davenport's greatest moment as a coach, IMO.

That is right. We were behind by one point with a little over a minute to play. We were ahead in penetrations (Back then in case of ties in playoff games the game was decided by penetrations) but Coach Davenport told his defense to let them score. They did and I think they missed the extra point so they were ahead by 7 points. We got the ball back and got a couple of long passes and scored with seconds to play. We made the conversion and the game was tied but we advanced due to the win in penetrations.

Phil C
10-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
That is right. We were behind by one point with a little over a minute to play. We were ahead in penetrations (Back then in case of ties in playoff games the game was decided by penetrations) but Coach Davenport told his defense to let them score. They did and I think they missed the extra point so they were ahead by 7 points. We got the ball back and got a couple of long passes and scored with seconds to play. We made the conversion and the game was tied but we advanced due to the win in penetrations.

I always think of this game and probably what their running back did who scored should have done was run to the 1/2 yard line and just touch his knee to the ground a few inches from the goal. Then just run the clock out.

Phil C
10-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I always think of this game and wonder if probably what their running back did who scored should have done was run to the 1/2 yard line and just touch his knee to the ground a few inches from the goal. Then just run the clock out. Why take a chance?

Send_the_House
10-03-2006, 11:56 AM
And what do you do if they finally score with 3 secs left after you have played defense?

Well that figures coming from a bullie...

Um, play defense. If they score you lose... Your defense is on the field in a position to win the game.. what more do you want?

Nobody said it was easy...

Bullaholic
10-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Send_the_House
Well that figures coming from a bullie...

Um, play defense. If they score you lose... Your defense is on the field in a position to win the game.. what more do you want?

Nobody said it was easy...

That good "D" going to keep them from kicking a winning FG, too?

Always "fun" to have another Decatur poster to trade barbs with.

kaorder1999
10-03-2006, 12:14 PM
That good "D" going to keep them from kicking a winning FG, too?

Always "fun" to have another Decatur poster to trade barbs with.

yep....we have blocked 3 fg's this year....

Adidas410s
10-03-2006, 01:01 PM
umm...is anybody else worried about Phil talking to himself again?

Blastoderm55
10-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
umm...is anybody else worried about Phil talking to himself again?

I think we're all safe so long at UT wins Saturday.