PDA

View Full Version : Texas/OU Thread

Old Tiger
10-02-2006, 06:02 PM
Who wins and why?

I say Texas because of the run defense. Put the game in Paul Thompsons hand and we will win.

Emerson1
10-02-2006, 06:06 PM
OU's o-line has to have the game of their life or Peterson and Thompson will get Bomar'd all day...again.

YBS
10-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Texas wins(no longhorn)

Texas' defense is too strong. OU has a good D but when they make mistakes on D it usually costs them more than it does UT because of the amount of talent and depth UT has. I DO think it will be fairly close but UT will win by 7-10 points.

OU DOES have a chance. If Thompson can find a way to be proficient enough to get a consistent passing game against UT's secondary that will probably loosen the reigns on Peterson. If Thompson passes for roughly 200 yards by consistently converting 1st downs into 2nd & shorts and by converting on 3rd down it will probably mean the game will go to the 4th will OU having a great opportunity to win.

SnyTigBaseB07
10-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by YBS
Texas wins(no longhorn)

Texas' defense is too strong. OU has a good D but when they make mistakes on D it usually costs them more than it does UT because of the amount of talent and depth UT has. I DO think it will be fairly close but UT will win by 7-10 points.

OU DOES have a chance. If Thompson can find a way to be proficient enough to get a consistent passing game against UT's secondary that will probably loosen the reigns on Peterson. If Thompson passes for roughly 200 yards by consistently converting 1st downs into 2nd & shorts and by converting on 3rd down it will probably mean the game will go to the 4th will OU having a great opportunity to win.

Couldnt have put it better myself my good man!

YBS
10-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by SnyTigBaseB07
Couldnt have put it better myself my good man!

Well, thank you good sir. I have a wedding to go to Sat. and then a 4-hour drive back to H-town so I won't be watching but I will do my best to listen in the back o' the church and on the way back home.

SnyTigBaseB07
10-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Fortunately the game is gonna be on most stations up here that cover college football, so i'll be tuned in!!!

awizzy
10-02-2006, 06:59 PM
i think texas wins...young and charles sat out last week and should be ready to go for this game..look for both of them to have big games...OU cant really pass the ball and texas has the one of if not the best run defense in the nation...i say texas by 14

eagles_victory
10-02-2006, 07:00 PM
People seem to be forgetting how well OU is playing. They should be undefeated. Peterson should be the frontrunner for the heisman without a doubt right now and Paul Thompson is playing better then Bomar everydid. Texas will win imo and i sure hope they do but it wont be easy. Also peterson didnt really play last year. Beware OU is going to be ready.

YBS
10-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by awizzy
i think texas wins...young and charles sat out last week and should be ready to go for this game..look for both of them to have big games...OU cant really pass the ball and texas has the one of if not the best run defense in the nation...i say texas by 14

You could very well be right. Something just tells me that if the o-line does find a way to protect Thompson and he can make quick simple reads in the low-pressure situations Stoops will have some tricks up his sleeve if OU stays in the game late.

awizzy
10-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
People seem to be forgetting how well OU is playing. They should be undefeated. Peterson should be the frontrunner for the heisman without a doubt right now and Paul Thompson is playing better then Bomar everydid. Texas will win imo and i sure hope they do but it wont be easy. Also peterson didnt really play last year. Beware OU is going to be ready.

idk if peterson is playing better than bomar did...i know he is playing better...but be4 bomar left OU was probally going to be 1 or 2 in the country...and trust me no1 had forgotten about peterson every1 knows he still the best RB

wedo
10-02-2006, 07:13 PM

OU's only test game against a decent Oregon team!! Yeah they should have won but they didn't !! Oregon doesn't have the kind of speed and size texas has!!! IMO Texas could have beaten tOSU but they didn't!! Although they did stop the run and gave up big plays in the passing game but to probably the best qb in the nation and with two secondary starters out !! I think that Texas will stuff Peterson to like 101 yards on like 45 carries they will force thompson to throw!! OU will try to do the same to Texas and make McCoy beat them!! Which i think that he can with the playmakers at WR that he has!! Texas by 14 !!!

Eagle 1
10-02-2006, 09:09 PM
OU.
Why? Because Stoops if 5-2 against texas and is 9-0 after open weeks in the regular season.
Did I mention OU was open last week?
Through four games, Oklahoma's strength of schedule against past opposition ranks 5th in the country, while Texas' is currently 50th. The Sooners first four opponents are 11-3 so far this season.

Emerson1
10-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
OU.
Why? Because Stoops if 5-2 against texas and is 9-0 after open weeks in the regular season.
Through four games, Oklahoma's strength of schedule against past opposition ranks 5th in the country, while Texas' is currently 50th. The Sooners first four opponents are 11-3 so far this season.
OU.
Why? Because you hate Texas

Txbroadcaster
10-02-2006, 09:14 PM
OU.

Can u give the link on the strength of schedule

Eagle 1
10-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
OU.
Why? Because you hate Texas

So I guess me hating texas will cause them to lose?
Good logic junior.

Eagle 1
10-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Can u give the link on the strength of schedule

LINK (http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=204&p=2&c=574762)

Txbroadcaster
10-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Not that it matters but you can manipulate the SOS alot of different ways.

Go to the site that they got the SOS from and you can see that all the OU opponents are 29-16 while Texas is 25-17

Also the way they sort the SOS is strictly on wins not who the teams beat. Washington is 4-1 but they have not beat a ranked team, yet since they are 4-1 it makes OU's SOS higher

But none of that matters..This game is not about who played who..it is about which team handles the emotion, the pressure and makes the big plays when needed.

Over the last 7 years the best team has won every time. Which for this series is a bit strange. Usually every 2-3 years one of the teams pulls off a upset. But since Stoops and Brown has been HC the best team has won it each time

wedo
10-02-2006, 10:21 PM
OU.

Wow they played UAB-almost lost , Washington-almost lost, Oregon-lost and Midd Tenn ST-won !! Wow!!

Playing the number 1 team in the nation would be higher than 50th!!!

WestTXLonghorn
10-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by wedo
Wow they played UAB-almost lost , Washington-almost lost, Oregon-lost and Midd Tenn ST-won !! Wow!!

Playing the number 1 team in the nation would be higher than 50th!!!

C'mon, Wedo. Let the Red Raider have his delusions. No need to go bursting his hate bubble. His squad did beat the mighty Aggies on a last gasp heroic TD pass, ya know!

What I DO know is that Texas is 2nd in Rushing defense only allowing 26.6 yards a game. Michigan is ahead of us by .2 yards a game......OU's ONLY strength is their running game with AP. So, I like our chances regardless of any SOS nonsense.

Just Watching
10-02-2006, 10:37 PM
OU wins. Thompson is much better than he is given credit for. I don't think UT has an advantage at QB. His passing numbers stand up well against most qbs, and he has outstanding receivers. Peterson is healthy this year. True, OU's defense has looked suspect at times, and they'll have to play up to their preseason hype this week, and I think they will. I also believe special teams will be a factor. I love OU's return game. I'll take OU 28-13 and the springboard to the Big 12 title.

WTF-82
10-02-2006, 10:40 PM
OU wins Texas is a top 20 team maybe very overated to be in top 10 they have not beat anybody this season. Iowa St. proved there defense is not as good as people thought. Biggest win so far was against Iowa St a team that snuck out with a win 28-27 against a nobody this past weekend Northern Iowa.

And I said it before I dont think Mack can beat Stoops without Vince coaching the team.

Oklahoma 29
Texas 14

WTF-82
10-02-2006, 10:45 PM
You are not really serious about Texas rush defense are you I would hope they can stop Rice,North Texas,Sam Houston ,
Iowa St. LOL !!!!

PHS Wildcats
10-03-2006, 12:30 AM
It's 12:31 am and OU still sucks!!!!!

coach
10-03-2006, 12:40 AM
it will be closer than everyone thinks it will be as usuall its the battle of the qb's who ever wins that battle wins the game. i say ou by 2 in an double ot thriller i know its goin out on a limb but someone has to do it

coach
10-03-2006, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by ***-82
OU wins Texas is a top 20 team maybe very overated to be in top 10 they have not beat anybody this season. Iowa St. proved there defense is not as good as people thought. Biggest win so far was against Iowa St a team that snuck out with a win 28-27 against a nobody this past weekend Northern Iowa.

And I said it before I dont think Mack can beat Stoops without Vince coaching the team.

Oklahoma 29
Texas 14

i like you ***-82 your a smart man i envy you

WestTXLonghorn
10-03-2006, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by ***-82
You are not really serious about Texas rush defense are you I would hope they can stop Rice,North Texas,Sam Houston ,
Iowa St. LOL !!!!

Iowa State usually tears it up on the ground. . .Rice is mainly a rushing team which we made throw the ball and they donkeystomped Army by 40 so they could probably hang in the Big 12. North Texas is mainly a running team as well and they didn't get anything done on the ground. I won't even bother counting the Bearkats.

What you don't understand about college football is that teams will be horrible and play like crap and still gain some yardage. The teams we've been playing will gain yards. Rice got beat 55-7 by Florida State who has a really good defense and they STILL gained 117 yards on the ground. Rice had -12 yards rushing against us.....

Texas holds people to NADA and they don't even leave the defensive starters in the entire game. So, yeah. . .our defense is stout.

Oklahoma definitely has a chance tho. They've had 2 weeks to get ready and Adrian knows that he's gotta break out and play Superman for his team to have a chance and to solidfy himself for the Heisman.

The main problem for OU is that their entire offense relies on Adrian P. to get things going. They TRY and throw AFTER they've established Adrian and have 9-10 men stacking the box. Look at these insane rush attempts by OU:

Midd. Tenn. State: 44 rush attempts

Oregon: 32 rush attempts

Washington: 35 rush attempts

UAB: 29 rush attempts

They run more than they pass in every game (except Oregon) and it is ALL Adrian Peterson. Without his legs they lose to UAB, maybe lose to Washington, and the Oregon game is a blowout loss......Now, he's been doing AWESOME. . .but he's been doing awesome against teams that won't sniff a bowl game (except Oregon). So, now he's going to have to run against basically the best defensive squad in the nation against the run. Also, Texas has seen AP before, they know what he can do, so it won't be some huge surprise.

Anyway, should be a good game, but I'd take Texas by a TD or so.

WestTXLonghorn
10-03-2006, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by coach
i like you ***-82 your a smart man i envy you

Obviously he's a lot smarter than you.

You'RE

Sheesh....;)

JasperDog94
10-03-2006, 07:50 AM
What's the status on the Horn's injuries?

WestTXLonghorn
10-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
What's the status on the Horn's injuries?

Robison is fine and will be 100% for the game. All the guys in the secondary will be back in action and 100%. Selvin's ribs supposedly have healed up fine and he'll be starting on game day.

Kindle played against the Bearkats and recorded 9 tackles so expect to see the Freshman phenom in the game along with all of our healthy LBers.

JasperDog94
10-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Sweet! I was afraid that we might have lost Robison for the year the way he was taken off the field.

As Phil would say, "This is great news indeed!":)

Phil C
10-03-2006, 10:03 AM
So I guess me hating texas will cause them to lose?

SHOW SOME COMPASSION!! :mad:

KTJ
10-03-2006, 10:49 AM
People seem to be forgetting how well OU is playing. They should be undefeated.

I like how you know this as a fact.

If they were to be undefeated, they wouldn't have let UO score that last touchdown.

wedo
10-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Just Watching
OU wins. Thompson is much better than he is given credit for. I don't think UT has an advantage at QB. His passing numbers stand up well against most qbs, and he has outstanding receivers. Peterson is healthy this year. True, OU's defense has looked suspect at times, and they'll have to play up to their preseason hype this week, and I think they will. I also believe special teams will be a factor. I love OU's return game. I'll take OU 28-13 and the springboard to the Big 12 title.

Texas has the advantage b/c of their experience at WR!!!

P.S.

OU Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UTatx
10-03-2006, 11:41 AM
UT pulls out ahead on this rivalry...our run defense will slow Pederson and force Thomson to pass...giving Ross and the Griffins good interception opportunites...this will be a close game decided by turnovers

Hookem' Horns!!!

Eagle 1
10-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by WestTXLonghorn
C'mon, Wedo. Let the Red Raider have his delusions. No need to go bursting his hate bubble. His squad did beat the mighty Aggies on a last gasp heroic TD pass, ya know!

Isnt that what texas did last year in Ohio?
See what I mean about everything looking burnt orange?

Just Watching
10-03-2006, 12:09 PM
Another possible factor, which I hope does not come into play, is the stupid clock rule. Time vanishes in a hurry in college games this year.

WestTXLonghorn
10-03-2006, 01:33 PM

Sorry bud, there's a little bit of difference between a Tech QB hurling a TD with 26 seconds left on the clock for the winning score and us scoring a TD with 2:37 left in the 4th quarter and then getting a safety and then causing and recovering a fumble when the Buckeyes had the ball with plenty of time to go and score.

You lose. Go home.

KTJ
10-03-2006, 01:35 PM

I like Tech. I really honestly do.

But you have no reason to justify your smack talk against UT. Name me one thing Texas Tech has done. Just one.

JasperDog94
10-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
I like Tech. I really honestly do.

But you have no reason to justify your smack talk against UT. Name me one thing Texas Tech has done. Just one. They did kick the snot out of that other team from California 2 years ago. Man that was sweet!

Phil C
10-03-2006, 02:32 PM
GO HORNS! BEAT THE SOONERS!

Phil C
10-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Last year a lot of Oklahoma fans were disappointed when UT won after losing five straight games to them but they shouldn't have been. They should have knowned they would have to lose one SOONER or later.

:D

bullfrog_alumni_02
10-03-2006, 02:34 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c202/prettytexasgirly/haha.jpg

found it, had to post it. its so true and its also about 1030 here

Boosty_Hondo
10-03-2006, 02:36 PM
gonna be a good game i say UT pulls it out

coach
10-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Obviously he's a lot smarter than you.

You'RE

Sheesh....;)

lmao why would you say that???

WestTXLonghorn
10-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by coach
lmao why would you say that???

Just I post to several different forums and in every single one people routinely screw up common English like "their, there, and they're" along with "your, you're".

coach
10-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Just I post to several different forums and in every single one people routinely screw up common English like "their, there, and they're" along with "your, you're".

lol i got ya i didnt even realize i did that lol yeah i guess you are right lol

eagles_victory
10-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Just I post to several different forums and in every single one people routinely screw up common English like "their, there, and they're" along with "your, you're". coach is in remedial reading give him a break :D

bobcat1
10-03-2006, 06:17 PM
I don't like either team. I hope they tie. Zero U and TU need to kiss their sister this time. I want them to tie and get no satisfaction from playing 4 hours. (well 2.5 now with the changes):p

coach
10-03-2006, 06:32 PM
coach is in remedial reading give him a break :D

thanks lee i appreciate it we goin to win tonite

Txbroadcaster
10-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
I don't like either team. I hope they tie. Zero U and TU need to kiss their sister this time. I want them to tie and get no satisfaction from playing 4 hours. (well 2.5 now with the changes):p

Would be a MIRACLE if they tied with OT

Emerson1
10-03-2006, 07:22 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/texas/stories/100306dnspoutoubriefs.29c7b7d.html

The last little section is pretty funny.

mrescape43
10-03-2006, 07:41 PM
It will be a sad day in Austin if OU can beat UT with their backup QB starting.

bevo
10-03-2006, 07:53 PM
OU.

...but that goes to show you that anyone can be beat on any given day. Just so happens, OU did on three given days this year so far. But as for as scheduling an extra week to prep for UT...they'll definitely need it!

Oh...I almost forgot to mention, if you're keeping up with the stats from the past...UT is only 56-39-5, yes...it's against OU! I personally was hoping that they did come into the Shootout undefeated. It would have been much better for us too. But they didn't and we still have to play it regardless. It should make for another great "Shootout". But it is great that both programs are back up in the National scheme of things once again.

UT WINS AGAIN!

--Hookem' Horns

Eagle 1
10-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Sorry bud, there's a little bit of difference between a Tech QB hurling a TD with 26 seconds left on the clock for the winning score and us scoring a TD with 2:37 left in the 4th quarter and then getting a safety and then causing and recovering a fumble when the Buckeyes had the ball with plenty of time to go and score.

You lose. Go home.

Originally posted by KTJ I like Tech. I really honestly do.

But you have no reason to justify your smack talk against UT. Name me one thing Texas Tech has done. Just one.

Why does this always have to turn into a TECH thing?
I gave you my reasons why I think texas will lose, so deal with it.

Here's another picture from Iraq.

http://www.hfnzone.com/sitebuilder/images/BevoSaddam-218x145.jpg

GreenMachine
10-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by wedo
OU's only test game against a decent Oregon team!! Yeah they should have won but they didn't !! Oregon doesn't have the kind of speed and size texas has!!! IMO Texas could have beaten tOSU but they didn't!! Although they did stop the run and gave up big plays in the passing game but to probably the best qb in the nation and with two secondary starters out !! I think that Texas will stuff Peterson to like 101 yards on like 45 carries they will force thompson to throw!! OU will try to do the same to Texas and make McCoy beat them!! Which i think that he can with the playmakers at WR that he has!! Texas by 14 !!! I think this will be a very close game, but I think Texas wins. There was NO way Texas could have beat Ohio State, and I am not a Buckeye fan (college or high school :D)

KTJ
10-03-2006, 08:44 PM
Why does this always have to turn into a TECH thing?
I gave you my reasons why I think texas will lose, so deal with it.

Here's another picture from Iraq.

http://www.hfnzone.com/sitebuilder/images/BevoSaddam-218x145.jpg

Probably the same reason you continuously bash Texas. For no reason, no less...

Old Tiger
10-05-2006, 06:09 PM
TTT

Here is an interesting fact about the game.

For the first time since 2000, neither Texas nor Oklahoma are ranked in the top three. The thousands pouring into the Cotton Bowl in crimson and burnt orange couldn't care less.

KTJ one of my best friends is going to be at the game. LUCKY!