PDA

View Full Version : The Monday Morning Quarterback

District303aPastPlayer
10-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Last night, i didnt know what to do this topic on. ive seen two threads lately that have given me a topic.

The Video Game Offense

For the past couple of years, Texas Tech University has produced the nations leading passer in yards. Kliff Kingsbury, BJ Symons, Sonny Cumbie, Graham Harrell, and Cody Hodges are the most recent 5. Harrell, for obvious reasons right now, and Hodges are the only two to not lead the nation in passing. With more teams taking the torch and also running a spread offense (urban meyers system of choice), do you think it will hurt the game overall. In the most recent past, we have had several teams run a bruising ground game (Auburn comes to mind first off: Cadillac and Ronnie Brown, Irons).

Are we headed to a time where running backs are going to be obselete and just recievers motioned out of the backfield. Southlake already runs one of the best spread attacks in the state, and do so with a running game to boot. Is Texas Football headed to a time where guys like Kenneth Hall will never have their records challenged, but instead a point where Phillip Daugherty will have his record smashed in less than 2 years?

Have fun debating... see you tonight! :)

PPHSfan
10-02-2006, 10:59 AM
DC's are learning new ways to kill the spread.

rgn4fb
10-02-2006, 12:12 PM
When you find a way to kill any offense completely let me know. Like the old saying goes its more about the Larrys and Joes than the Xs and Os.

PPHSfan
10-02-2006, 12:23 PM
All I am saying is that when the spread first hit hs, most teams that could run it well, scored a whole bunch of points. DC's are finding ways to shut it down, when it's all you run. Look at TECH this year as a good example.

rgn4fb
10-02-2006, 02:55 PM
OK, I took your advice and looked at Tech this year. They are 4-1. They are averaging 24 1st downs a game, 347.6 yards passing a game, and 432.8 total offense per game. Not to sound too sarcastic, but looks like teams have figured out how to stop what they do. My only point is that that the team with the best players have a lot to do with the success of the team. Yes, coaches will always try to get the best defense for the offenses that have evolved through the years. The 3-3 stack has been used quite a bit to try and stop the spread. A good mix of run and pass that keeps a good DC guessing will keep the spread going.

PPHSfan
10-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Well one thing Tech does not do is mix it up. And you can site all the numbers you want. Anyone who follows the game knows that Tech's days as King of Offense are all but over.

Txbroadcaster
10-02-2006, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Well one thing Tech does not do is mix it up. And you can site all the numbers you want. Anyone who follows the game knows that Tech's days as King of Offense are all but over.

says who? What Tech is missing this year the threat Henderson gave them at RB..does not mean the offense is going to die, just means they need to find that type of threat again

PPHSfan
10-02-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
says who? What Tech is missing this year the threat Henderson gave them at RB..does not mean the offense is going to die, just means they need to find that type of threat again

Listen,

I am not trying to take anything away from Tech, I just used them as an example. The spread is not what it was three years ago. DC's are finding ways to shut it down. I won't get into a yes it will, no it won't pissing contest about it. I am done. You can take it for what it's worth. I am pretty sure I am right, and time will tell the truth.