PDA

View Full Version : Former TAMUCC pitcher named to national softball team

CalallenWildcat
10-01-2006, 10:28 PM
Apologies to Phil C if you have already posted this...

http://www.kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5482705&nav=menu192_4

Former Islander to pitch for Team USA

Oct 1, 2006 09:24 PM CDT

CORPUS CHRISTI - Former Islanders softball pitcher Sarah Pauly is now a member of the United States National team. She earned her way on to the squad during a tryout in California. Sunday afternoon, 6 Sports caught up to the Isles all time strikeout leader, who's now one of the elite players in the world.

From the day she arrived at A&M-Corpus Christi, Sarah Pauly's coaches believed she had the talent to be an Olympian. 16 months after her final game as an Islander, those predictions are less than two years away from coming true.

"It's not through my head yet. It hasn't sunk in," Pauly said. The numbers tell you everything you need to know: 1,636 career strikeouts, 112 wins and 15 no-hitters. A career that led Pauly to become the first Islander athlete ever to have her number retired. She followed that up in 2006 by going 15-5 for the Connecticut Brakettes at the pro level, which got her thinking about Team USA.

"I think being named the National Pitcher of the Year for the pro season really helped me get the invitation for the tryouts. I guess I was hoping for it sooner. But I'm glad that it came when it did because I'm ready to step up to the challenge now. I think I'm a little more mature softball wise and ready for the experience."

And she hopes, ready for the pressure. The American flag has been hoisted above the gold medal stand in each of the last three Olympic games.

"I was hoping it would be in the future for me and it obviously has been. I'm just looking forward to January when we start training. Having that in the back of my head when I'm pitching will make me pitch harder and do my best."

District303aPastPlayer
10-02-2006, 01:47 AM
dont know if yall saw her pitch, but she was the real deal...

AggieJohn
10-02-2006, 08:11 AM
NICE, i'll be rooting for her

Phil C
10-02-2006, 08:17 AM
Good News Indeed!

Technoredneck
10-02-2006, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
dont know if yall saw her pitch, but she was the real deal... Sounds like she IS the real deal, not was!

Phil C
10-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Technoredneck
Sounds like she IS the real deal, not was!

He meant while she was at TAMUCC. I wonder who the other USA pitchers are. I am sure CAT will be there and probably Jeanie Finch but I am not sure about Lisa who may have decided to retire.

Technoredneck
10-02-2006, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
He meant while she was at TAMUCC. I wonder who the other USA pitchers are. I am sure CAT will be there and probably Jeanie Finch but I am not sure about Lisa who may have decided to retire. I am pretty sure that Lisa did state at the last Gold Medal event that she was in fact retiring.

Phil C
10-02-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Technoredneck
I am pretty sure that Lisa did state at the last Gold Medal event that she was in fact retiring.

:(