PDA

View Full Version : I've had it with Texas Monthly

SWMustang
10-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Every month I get a new issue that espouses believes that most Texans do not subscribe to. For example:

1) Houstonians want the Katrina Evacuees to leave because we don't like black folks

2) The Dixie Chicks aren't coming to Texas because "poor ticket sales and sourpuss radio stations refusing to give the trio airtime".

There's usually quite a bit of political crap that they throw in the magazine. I want to take these guys on. Build a better magazine. Who's with me?

shankbear
10-01-2006, 08:20 PM
I have been with you for a few years now. It has less to do with Texas than their political stuff. Just friggin call it Texas Politics.

44INAROW
10-01-2006, 08:22 PM
I used to like Texas Monthly, but they have WAY too many advertisements :mad: :mad:

carter08
10-01-2006, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I used to like Texas Monthly, but they have WAY too many advertisements :mad: :mad:

SPAMMERS :mad: :mad:

SWMustang
10-01-2006, 08:33 PM
I agree about the politics too. Not be political, but 253 counties voted for Bush. During the election year it was article after article slamming the guy. How smart is it to continue to bash the believes of a majority of people I thought the magazine was geared towards? If my magazine was called "California Monthly" I wouldn't publish articles bashing the democratic party or Nancy Pelosi. It's just bad business regardless of how I feel personally. The magazine is run by yankees who think Austin Texas is what all of Texas is all about. One article even went so far as to call Austin "where all the smart people live. He cited Travis county going to Kerry in the election as his reasoning.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to start taking them in a traditional sense (I'm not sure what the future holds for print media) but how about an online magazine version?

shankbear
10-01-2006, 08:41 PM
I wouldn't wipe my dog's butt with Texas Monthly. Nor my goat. Pig. Iguana. Armadillo.

slpybear the bullfan
10-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Call it... the "Pseudo-Inteligensia" Political Mag of Texas.... umm... Monthly!

SWMustang
10-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Call it... the "Pseudo-Inteligensia" Political Mag of Texas.... umm... Monthly!

what? "Texas Monthly" or the upstart competitor I'm gonna start? Good point though, what am I going to call this new venture?

CalallenWildcat
10-01-2006, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
what? "Texas Monthly" or the upstart competitor I'm gonna start? Good point though, what am I going to call this new venture?

Lone Star Monthly

SintonFan
10-01-2006, 09:56 PM
I agree about the politics too. Not be political, but 253 counties voted for Bush. During the election year it was article after article slamming the guy. How smart is it to continue to bash the believes of a majority of people I thought the magazine was geared towards? If my magazine was called "California Monthly" I wouldn't publish articles bashing the democratic party or Nancy Pelosi. It's just bad business regardless of how I feel personally. The magazine is run by yankees who think Austin Texas is what all of Texas is all about. One article even went so far as to call Austin "where all the smart people live. He cited Travis county going to Kerry in the election as his reasoning.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to start taking them in a traditional sense (I'm not sure what the future holds for print media) but how about an online magazine version?
lol
Don't you see the irony of the magazine? Whatever they slam or believe in is just the opposite of what most Texas folks believe in?:cool:

SintonFan
10-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
Lone Star Monthly
Nah, that title reminds me of beer.:D
How about Non-Conformists Free-Thinking True-Texas Monthly.;)

Pudlugger
10-02-2006, 12:08 AM
Every month I get a new issue that espouses believes that most Texans do not subscribe to. For example:

1) Houstonians want the Katrina Evacuees to leave because we don't like black folks

2) The Dixie Chicks aren't coming to Texas because "poor ticket sales and sourpuss radio stations refusing to give the trio airtime".

There's usually quite a bit of political crap that they throw in the magazine. I want to take these guys on. Build a better magazine. Who's with me?

60's baby boomers with a voice going against the times. Sad.

:(

pirate44
10-02-2006, 06:31 AM
TM has way too much smell to it. i read Texas Highways (http://www.texashighways.com/) now ;)

Technoredneck
10-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
TM has way too much smell to it. i read Texas Highways (http://www.texashighways.com/) now ;) Isn't that just a sign that you're finally growing up? :) :)

Maroon87
10-02-2006, 09:41 AM

I'm a TM subscriber and I'm with you. They do have some good feature articles, however most of the columnists have a definite leftward slant. The story about the crime prevention meeting re: Katrina evacuees was particularly interesting to me because they were talking about my neighborhood. I'm guessing if Mimi Swartz spent more than a few hours in the Westchase District she'd agree with most of the rest of us that live there rather than acting like we're a bunch of racists.:doh:

pirate44
10-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Technoredneck
Isn't that just a sign that you're finally growing up? :) :)
noticing the annoying perfume ads, or reading Texas Highways? :D

i love to travel the state and experience the foods and cultures. TH is great for that and a fraction of the cost of a TM.