PDA

View Full Version : Abilene Wylie @ Wimberley

gold_33
10-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Another tough game ahead this week in Wimberley. What are your thoughts and predictions?

STANG RED
10-01-2006, 08:16 PM
I hate picking against Wylie again, but they just seem to keep winning even when I pick against them, so I’ll just pick against them again this week. I’d hate to screw up the formula now. Good Luck Wylie!

Technoredneck
10-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Just don't see Wylie pulling this 1 out. Gotta go with Wimberly.

injuredinmelee
10-01-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Technoredneck
Just don't see Wylie pulling this 1 out. Gotta go with Wimberly.

I have been saying about the same thing every week.

MagicMan
10-01-2006, 09:06 PM
wylie has played great since losing to brownwood. wimberley has played great since losing to giddings.

thewyliefan
10-01-2006, 09:52 PM
should be fun

wyliegrad04
10-01-2006, 10:00 PM
hopefully be a good game!

i'm gonna pick Wylie by 3 ... crazy pick, yes! But I really think Wylie is starting to play better and most importantly come together as a team. Sandifer will have them ready to play ... you know they are studying those tapes like crazy, definitely the Giddings one.

hey injured are you going on the booster club bus? anyone?

wildstangs
10-01-2006, 10:12 PM
At the beginning of the year I thought Wylie would only beat Graham and Iowa Park in non district. They sure have been a nice surprise. Very impressive win over Frenship - I have been wanting those two to play for years. Their defense is winning big.

Wylie 17 Wimberly 13

wimbo_pro
10-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Wyliegrad...in my opinion, studying the Giddings tape will do more harm than good. Study the Liberty Hill tapes. And good luck to you guys...we look forward to playing you!!! Hope your trip is good and injury free.

My prediction? A solid win, at home, for Wimberley. Big surprise, eh?

thewyliefan
10-01-2006, 10:51 PM
well its a good thing he's not the one watching the tapes and getting the team ready, i'm sure sandifer will do a nice job:)

Stownhorse
10-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Like I said in the Week 5 top 25, watch out for Wylie, no matter how much talent they have they always find a way to win and so does Sandifer.

wimbo_pro
10-01-2006, 11:15 PM
I am sure Sandifer knows what he is doing...my only point was that the Giddings game (played Labor Day weekend) will be a poor representation fo what you will see this Friday night...the Liberty Hill game (played last Friday night) will be more accurate. However, if you have a one dimensional attack with a QB of the caliber of FitzHenry, then you don't need to study ANY films....just snap the ball and let him run.

And by the way, if there are some who think I shouldnt give away such suggestions to the opposing team...trust me, any coach worth his weight knows teams progress over the season, much like Abilene-Wylie has. And Sandifer is definitely worth his weight, so I hear!

wyliegrad04
10-01-2006, 11:42 PM
oh I'm sure Sandifer is looking at all the tapes!! No doubt he is ...

I think the advantage of looking at the Giddings tape would be good ... just as the LH game and all the games would!! I didn't really mean to just point out that one tape. But I think watching what Giddings was able to do and maybe find that little thing might be the difference. And of course I know Wimberly is doing the same ... any team would!! haha

And of course the teams are different then they were 3/4 weeks ago ...

should be a good game, i think. no matter who wins, i hope its a good, hard fought game. which i think it will be.

wimbo_pro
10-02-2006, 12:03 AM
Understood, Wyliegrad. Regarding our loss to Giddings, it was pretty simple. We couldnt stop their fast-as-heck QB and their monster fullback. If you have that type and caliber of attack, then it will be a pretty simple gameplan for you. Giddings just doesnt pass the ball much at all...I bet they average 5-8 a game, or less!

BUT....

We have shored up much of our defensive weaknesses and we have come alive on offense. We have spiked the water, we have installed special listening devices to pick up on opposing huddle chat, we have rigged the scoreboard and we have paid off the refs (as LH fans will confirm for you). All in all, we think we are ready!!!

NDFootball
10-02-2006, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
We have spiked the water, we have installed special listening devices to pick up on opposing huddle chat, we have rigged the scoreboard and we have paid off the refs (as LH fans will confirm for you). All in all, we think we are ready!!!

LOL
sounds like you pulled out all the stops ;)

It will be a great game between two good teams on Friday.

STANG RED
10-02-2006, 06:29 AM
We couldnt stop their fast-as-heck QB and their monster fullback. If you have that type and caliber of attack, then it will be a pretty simple gameplan for you.

Just so happens, Wylie's QB is one of the fastest kids in the state. Second only to Skye Green in Region I. They don have the monster FB, but Russell Felts has been doing a real nice job at the RB position for them.
As well as the Wylie D has come around lately, they seem to have just enough O, to be getting the job done.
Which ever way it goes, this should be a fairly low scoring game.

LHPfactory
10-02-2006, 06:54 AM
dont know how low scoring it will be. Wimberly offense is better than it was last year, that QB (beaty sp?) is better than weldon and that tall tight end has great hands and speed. oh yeah and Buse is one of the best all purpose kids I have seen. Defense is strong, but no where near where it was last year. :thinking:

Wimberly by 3 TDs

wimbo_pro
10-02-2006, 08:23 AM
Good assessment, LHPfactory. I predict a win, but I wont go as far as to say by 3 TD's. Maybe 2 or less. AW seems to have a pretty good defense. I dont know enough to say how well they match up to our spread offense...if the answer is not well, it will be a long night for them. Add to it the long trip for them (3 hours at least!) and I see a good win for us.

STANG RED
10-02-2006, 09:18 AM
I can see why yall would be so high on your team, and you should be. Wimberley is obviously a great program. But thinking you will win by 3 TDs just shows your lack of knowledge about Wylie and that coaching staff. You are about to see one of the most well coached teams you have ever seen. I've probably seen Wylie play once or twice a year for the past 10 or so years, and I'm telling you, what they lack in talent, they always seem to make up for in game plan & preperation. Your right, on paper, Wimberley may truely be a 3 TD better team than Wylie. But when the chin straps get buckled, they are gonna give you fits, and expose weaknesses you never knew you even had. I think Wimberley deffinately has the inside trake on this game, but you better not make any mistakes, cause I promise Wylie will make you pay dearly for them. No matter who wins, its gonna be a great game, but mark my words, Wimberley will not win by 3 TDs!

LHPfactory
10-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I can see why yall would be so high on your team, and you should be. Wimberley is obviously a great program. But thinking you will win by 3 TDs just shows your lack of knowledge about Wylie and that coaching staff. You are about to see one of the most well coached teams you have ever seen. I've probably seen Wylie play once or twice a year for the past 10 or so years, and I'm telling you, what they lack in talent, they always seem to make up for in game plan & preperation. Your right, on paper, Wimberley may truely be a 3 TD better team than Wylie. But when the chin straps get buckled, they are gonna give you fits, and expose weaknesses you never knew you even had. I think Wimberley deffinately has the inside trake on this game, but you better not make any mistakes, cause I promise Wylie will make you pay dearly for them. No matter who wins, its gonna be a great game, but mark my words, Wimberley will not win by 3 TDs!

ok, stang red, your words are marked, but im actually low on wimberly not high cause they beat my team last friday (they are not my team). If wimberly can score like they did against LH on friday, I dont think AW can keep up and stay in it like we did. And you are right it will be up to AW's defense to keep the texan spread under control then maybe they will have a chance.

Heyoverthere
10-02-2006, 09:53 AM
wylie by 2 touchdowns or a chance of a blow out!!!!!!!!
after seeing the way they played frenship.... come on.

EricDraven
10-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Wimberley will be facing one of the toughest defensive units they'll see all year. Just keep doubting the 'Dogs, like so many did in '04.

Adidas410s
10-02-2006, 11:55 AM
two words...Case Keenum...

oh wait...they don't give you 5 years in High School...dang! ;)

Stownhorse
10-02-2006, 11:58 AM
There is no doubt that their D is rediculous, I mean they held a 2,000 yard rusher last year to under 100 yards...Its not a matter of there D its a matter of their offense putting the points up.

EricDraven
10-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
There is no doubt that their D is rediculous, I mean they held a 2,000 yard rusher last year to under 100 yards...Its not a matter of there D its a matter of their offense putting the points up.

True, but most on here seem to think that Wimberley's offense is going to ride roughshod over 'Dog's D.

Stownhorse
10-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by EricDraven
True, but most on here seem to think that Wimberley's offense is going to ride roughshod over 'Dog's D.

Im just gunna sit back and watch because I know first hand what the team and the coaching staff is capable of...Sandifer is a genious

EricDraven
10-02-2006, 12:10 PM
It will be a good game, I'm sure. Tough to beat any team, let alone the defending champs, at home.

pero chato
10-02-2006, 12:29 PM
It has all the makings of a great game. Just a few thoughts--Wylie hasn't faced a spread offense yet this year. And Wimberley runs it to perfection.
Two of Wylie's four wins have been against teams w/o their starting QBs.
Wimberley seems to be hitting on all cylinders right now at least on offense, and the defense ain't too shabby either.
This is the second of three consecutive road games for the Dogs, but hopefully fatigue will not be a problem (Wimberley is a four hour drive from Abilene).
For Wylie, their offense can be explosive and the defense stifling.
And there's always the Sandifer thing in the mix.

My non-homer pick is Wimberley by 14.

GreenMachine
10-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Close game :thinking: but Wimberley takes this one :thumbsup:

Bullaholic
10-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by pero chato
It has all the makings of a great game. Just a few thoughts--Wylie hasn't faced a spread offense yet this year. And Wimberley runs it to perfection.
Two of Wylie's four wins have been against teams w/o their starting QBs.
Wimberley seems to be hitting on all cylinders right now at least on offense, and the defense ain't too shabby either.
This is the second of three consecutive road games for the Dogs, but hopefully fatigue will not be a problem (Wimberley is a four hour drive from Abilene).
For Wylie, their offense can be explosive and the defense stifling.
And there's always the Sandifer thing in the mix.

My non-homer pick is Wimberley by 14.

Pero...I wouldn't change a thing in your post. I agree. Good pre-game analysis.

gold_33
10-02-2006, 07:02 PM
This is the third of three high level teams Wimberley has played in a row. To be coming into this game at 4-1 should say enough for this team especially against the teams we have played, im not saying the four wins were pretty but its still wins. I think the Texans are just starting to click as a team and as good as Wylie may be they're not going to stop our offense. Wylie will probably score and it may turn into another shootout like last week but I dont think they can outscore us if it comes down to a shootout. I think its gonna be close for awhile then the Texans will take over. 35-21 Texans roll on!!!

thewyliefan
10-02-2006, 07:24 PM
to bad none of us can predict the future. its the first time the 2 teams have ever met and it should be good no matter what. knowing how wylie plays its hard for me to go aginst them. should be a good one friday

Cameron Crazy
10-02-2006, 08:02 PM
I say wylie after that big win last week i think the momentum will prolong into this week!! lets go DAWGS!!

wimbo_pro
10-02-2006, 08:24 PM
This is going to be a great game. From the posts I have seen so far, I get the impression that the fans (who usually are refelective of the team itself) are excited and dedicated, but more importantly, they show some class. You put a well coached football team on the field, you support them 100% and you instill in them a sense of class, they will be hard to beat. I look forward to the banter leading up to the game!!! Go Texans!

thewyliefan
10-02-2006, 09:26 PM
i also hear of quite a bit of students from wylie that are going to go ahead and make the trip down there. wylie usually travels with a good crowd no matter where they are. how big is wimberlys stadium?

gold_33
10-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Its not huge but pretty good size, Liberty Hill filled it up last week but they usually bring tons of fans for the rivalry game. Im not for sure on the capacity but I think yall should be ok.

thewyliefan
10-02-2006, 10:13 PM
yea cuz there are quite a few going but prolly not enough to fill up the visitors side, its a looooong trip from abilene

gold_33
10-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Yeah i had a buddy play for Hardin-Simmons and I made the trip up there one time and that was enough for me. Its a long way to go for a football game.

sweetwater07
10-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I have been saying about the same thing every week.

I've said it before and I'm going to say it again...Sandifer is a God among football coaches...don't think any win is out of his reach..i say Wylie by 3-7 points with the help of amazing coaching

sweetwater07
10-02-2006, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by thewyliefan
yea cuz there are quite a few going but prolly not enough to fill up the visitors side, its a looooong trip from abilene

wheres this game being played at??

gold_33
10-02-2006, 10:57 PM
In Wimberley

sweetwater07
10-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by gold_33
In Wimberley

how far of a drive is that?

gold_33
10-02-2006, 11:03 PM
4 to 4 1/2hrs were down about 40 miles southwes of Austin.

sweetwater07
10-02-2006, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by gold_33
4 to 4 1/2hrs were down about 40 miles southwes of Austin.

crap...i made that drive to Canyon 2 weeks ago...i had better here about some true Wylie fans going to see this....if it was in Abilene...i would skip Sweetwater's homecoming for it..me and stownhorse both

Stownhorse
10-02-2006, 11:56 PM
You aint lying....I would be there in 2 jiggles of a jack-rabbits @$$

wimbo_pro
10-03-2006, 09:38 AM
From the different polls and ratings I have seen, Wimberley is playing another team that is very similar. Of course this info doesnt tell me anything about the team itself. What kind of offense does AW run? Are they more of a running or passing team?

injuredinmelee
10-03-2006, 10:17 AM
I see all these posts about th Wimberly spread. Of course you are not the only team in the state that runs it or runs it well. Wylie has seen it and Clay Martin the D.C. will def have a plan to stop it, they might not have the athletes to stop it but the way the defense is playing right now I will say Wylie by 3 points.

pero chato
10-03-2006, 11:35 AM
From the different polls and ratings I have seen, Wimberley is playing another team that is very similar. Of course this info doesnt tell me anything about the team itself. What kind of offense does AW run? Are they more of a running or passing team?

It's pretty much a balanced attack, approx 50/50. I've noticed a trend the last few years to "spread the wealth" so to speak. Wylie uses 3-4 running backs a game, and just as many different receivers. No one will make player of the week from Wylie, but who cares? As long as it works.
The QB is probably the leading rusher on the team and definitely has the best speed. I've seen a big improvement in his passing every week, and that has certainly helped the running game.

wimbo_pro
10-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Sounds VERY similar to Wimberley. This ought to be a very good game.

injuredinmelee
10-03-2006, 11:55 AM
It's pretty much a balanced attack, approx 50/50. I've noticed a trend the last few years to "spread the wealth" so to speak. Wylie uses 3-4 running backs a game, and just as many different receivers. No one will make player of the week from Wylie, but who cares? As long as it works.
The QB is probably the leading rusher on the team and definitely has the best speed. I've seen a big improvement in his passing every week, and that has certainly helped the running game.

The offensive line play has improved also the last few weeks. We seem to be undersized at every position on the field but these kids keep on fighting and fighting. Wildstangs knows what my prediction was before the season started and he can tell you i was VERY wrong.

pero chato
10-03-2006, 12:02 PM
The offensive line play has improved also the last few weeks. We seem to be undersized at every position on the field but these kids keep on fighting and fighting. Wildstangs knows what my prediction was before the season started and he can tell you i was VERY wrong.

You're right--the offensive line is where it all starts. I should have mentioned them first and foremost.

EricDraven
10-03-2006, 12:25 PM
This is going to be a great game. From the posts I have seen so far, I get the impression that the fans (who usually are refelective of the team itself) are excited and dedicated, but more importantly, they show some class. You put a well coached football team on the field, you support them 100% and you instill in them a sense of class, they will be hard to beat. I look forward to the banter leading up to the game!!! Go Texans!

Amen! Classy programs with classy coaching staff and fans.

LHPfactory
10-03-2006, 01:12 PM
You're right--the offensive line is where it all starts. I should have mentioned them first and foremost. .

The AW O-line is gonna have their work cut out for them, I was at the game last week, we were able to move the ball well, but our linemen and backs earned every yard. Wimberly is always strong up front.

mrescape43
10-03-2006, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
At the beginning of the year I thought Wylie would only beat Graham and Iowa Park in non district. They sure have been a nice surprise. Very impressive win over Frenship - I have been wanting those two to play for years. Their defense is winning big.

Wylie 17 Wimberly 13

Win over Frenship wasn't much as they are playing their 3rd string QB as #1 and #2 are out with injuries. Not close to being the offense that they could have been.

thewyliefan
10-03-2006, 08:09 PM
from what i hear our boys also put out the 3rd string QB for them also. and besides a win is a win. the QB isnt the only player out there. what about the D stopping their RB who rushed for over 2000 yards or whatever last year. the wylie D held him to 46.

sweetwater07
10-03-2006, 09:58 PM
wylie may not be the most talented on the field...but the best coached i guarantee

Stownhorse
10-03-2006, 10:08 PM
from what i hear our boys also put out the 3rd string QB for them also. and besides a win is a win. the QB isnt the only player out there. what about the D stopping their RB who rushed for over 2000 yards or whatever last year. the wylie D held him to 46.

That RB is Pretty much a BEAST!

thewyliefan
10-03-2006, 10:09 PM
yea your not joking, that boy can play at the next level i'm sure. prolly not the biggest school but somewhere

Snyder_TigerFan
10-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
wylie may not be the most talented on the field...but the best coached i guarantee

dude....if you saw coach sandifer walking down the street, I bet you'd drop down to your knees and start "worshiping", huh? Enough already.

thewyliefan
10-03-2006, 11:04 PM
i wouldnt blame him if he did

injuredinmelee
10-04-2006, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
dude....if you saw coach sandifer walking down the street, I bet you'd drop down to your knees and start "worshiping", huh? Enough already.

I would offer to carry him to his destination on my ample back.

tigerbyheart
10-04-2006, 09:24 AM
I think Wylie will pull an upset... Their Coach will have them prepared, focused, and will have a great game plan.........

Heyoverthere
10-04-2006, 10:20 AM

yes i think you are rite cause we are going to be there to help the bulldogs this week and even though i go to AHS now ill still be there!!!!! :D

Johnny Moxen
10-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Sounds like two great teams, representing two great schools and communities with a large and proud fan base. Hopefully the game will rival all the pre-game talk.

Wylie's D is playing great and they have athlete's to match up against any offense (especially a spead offense). We've faced many teams that have run that type of offense (Canyon, Decatur Brownwood some, even Frenship).

The key to this game will be Wylie's offensive line. They have been improving week to week and should face another stiff test this week. Wylie has plenty of athletes at the skill positions (at least 4-5 deep at RB, 4-5 deep at receiver, skilled QB that's been improving).

Not knowing too much about Wimberly, I say Wylie wins this one by 7-10 points.

rb585
10-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Can someone remind me which coach won a state championship last season?

STANG RED
10-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by rb585

NO

Stownhorse
10-05-2006, 07:06 PM
i wouldnt blame him if he did

lol no joke

rb585
10-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
NO

All right, whatever...

Can anybody remind me which coach went undefeated last season? I seem to have forgotten that, too.

Thanks in advance!

:inlove:

bulldogman06
10-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Cocky cocky cocky. are yall undefeated this year? thanks in advance

rb585
10-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by bulldogman06
Cocky cocky cocky. are yall undefeated this year? thanks in advance

No, and we're apparently going to lose another game because our poor pathetic stooopid coaching staff will have to face a team coached by FOOTBALL EINSTEIN!!! Our coaches should go out and buy a family pack of Depends, because Sandifer is obviously going to make them soil themselves on virtually every play.

Now, please answer one of my questions!

:kiss:

wimbo_pro
10-05-2006, 09:17 PM
The majority of the Texans fans are cautiously optimistic...we have seen improvement each game, but we have not closed all the gaps in our game plan. AW is known as a great team, so we are prepared for a battle. Of course I predict a win, mostly due to home field advantage. But we are not toaking AW lightly...nor should they take US lightly. I doubt they are.

bandera7
10-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Wimberley has some studs on their team, and they have speed. So I am going with Wimberley, because of Buse and West. They will be good again this year and probably make a pretty good run in playoffs.

bulldogman06
10-05-2006, 09:22 PM
answer to both of your questions were yes, but they were both last year. did yall win the year before? or the year before? or they year before? those are the kind of questions you are asking. no doubt yall are good, but asking your earlier questions makes no sense, its a new year

injuredinmelee
10-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by rb585

can you remind me who won it the year before?????

bandera7
10-05-2006, 09:27 PM
yes, Gainesville did.

injuredinmelee
10-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
yes, Gainesville did.

you sure about that???

thewyliefan
10-05-2006, 09:40 PM
hmm....i could have sworn that it's the state champs from the last 2 years playing each other. maybe gainseville magically won it in '03 and '04 haha. no but really wimberley last year wylie the year before and gainseville the year before that.

bulldogman06
10-05-2006, 09:46 PM
I think gainesville was D1 in '01 when they won, im not sure they won it that year though, I know we lost to them in the semis or quarters somethin like that

Johnny Moxen
10-06-2006, 08:44 AM
Wylie won the State Championship in 04

Gainsville won the State Championship in 05

and Wimberly won the State Championship in 06.

Now that we have settled that matter, let's look forward to some football. Good luck to both teams tonight and sounds like we have already achieved "rivalry" status without even having played the game yet.

injuredinmelee
10-06-2006, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Moxen
Wylie won the State Championship in 04

Gainsville won the State Championship in 05

and Wimberly won the State Championship in 06.

Now that we have settled that matter, let's look forward to some football. Good luck to both teams tonight and sounds like we have already achieved "rivalry" status without even having played the game yet.

that is incorrect sir.

Gainesville 03
Wylie 04
Wimberly 05

injuredinmelee
10-06-2006, 09:09 AM
that is incorrect sir.

Gainesville 03
Wylie 04
Wimberly 05

then Everman won the two before that and gatesville the year before that. And before that I think it was Liberty Euyala(sp), Aledo, and then a few Sealy championships before that.

injuredinmelee
10-06-2006, 09:14 AM
did Sealy win 4 right so that would take us to 1994 where Carrol won 93 and 92, and the Groesbeck Goats won it in 91. Vernon won it in 90 and los the game to Mexia in 89. In 88 Carrol pasted someone it may have been Newton or someone that starts with a N. Before that I believe was Cueros last championship over Mc Gregor in 87 with the stud Robert Strait.