PDA

View Full Version : Name 1 positive thing about Coach Fran / Tech overview...

g$$
10-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Well, it played out as I thought unfortunately. I even picked the score right (31-27) but I had the Ags winning based solely on allegiance. Objectively, Tech is the better team, though I think both teams are average. So that makes A&M below average.

I have said repeatedly on here that Fran has to win 8 games minimum this year, & not get embarrassed by the big boys. So now he's behind the 8 ball even more. The rumblings are getting louder out of College Station. What big alum will step up & buy out Fran's contract? Signed thru 2011 at ~$2 million per year, so you're looking at around $10+ million, then you have to hire a new coach. That is big $$ stuff even for a school like A&M with the resources, alumni, etc. to get it done.

Name 1 positive thing that Fran has done for the football program? He's in his 4th year & his record is a sparkling 20-20 overall. Worst loss in school history 77-0 to OU. 1 bowl game blowout to Tennessee. Record vs. Texas, OU, Tech, & Nebraska = 1-10 (& 1 win was in overtime vs. Tech at Kyle Field). And please don't count facility upgrades because that is not his doing. He did donate $1 million to the new indoor facility (nice tax deduction also). The man is set for life. His arrogant, pompous attitude does not play well at A&M or in this state in general. HS coaches for the most part despise him. He only hires people he can put under his thumb. It's time for change. A&M needs a young, vibrant coach who can re-energize the program.

Few things on the game:
1. How in the world do you quit running J. Lane in the 4th quarter? Stats were 12 carries for 77 yds. = 6.4 yds. per carry
2. Conservative play calling on drive to take lead; yes A&M got a FG but played scared w/ a dive on 2nd & 12, then option to short side of field on 3rd down. Settled for FG & gave Tech a chance to win the game.
3. McGee is a heck of a leader, but his passing game has not been developed so far. He seems very unsure w/ happy feet & stares down receivers. No progression (1, 2, 3) as routes develop & coverages change. I blame this on coaching. The tools are there & he threw for over 8000 yds. at Burnet.
4. Stupid penalties, like 2 roughing the passer & 1 unsportsmanlike conduct. All 3 kept drives alive. That is called lack of discipline.
5. Gary Darnell & his gimmick 4-2-5 defense. A&M had some success in the 2nd half playing more zone. What does he do? Calls 2 max blitzes on the final drive's 2 biggest plays. Left a RS freshman corner all alone vs. Tech's Robert Johnson. Johnson made a nice catch for his 3rd td of the day. Jordan Peterson had good coverage but never played the ball. Middle of the field was open all day for underneath routes. TCU got after Harrell in their win & gave different looks all day. Darnell is a joke & one of Fran's old buddies (unemployed when A&M hired him). Look at his resume' for proof (fired at Texas, Notre Dame, & Western Michigan). Team speed on defense is abysmal. It's Justin Warren (legit) & then everybody else.

Names being tossed around are Bo Pellini (DC at LSU), Gene Chizik (DC at Texas), Mike Zimmer (DC for Dallas Cowboys), & a few others.

Changes are on the horizon in Aggieland...& it can't come a day too soon.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-01-2006, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Well, it played out as I thought unfortunately. I even picked the score right (31-27) but I had the Ags winning based solely on allegiance. Objectively, Tech is the better team, though I think both teams are average. So that makes A&M below average.

I have said repeatedly on here that Fran has to win 8 games minimum this year, & not get embarrassed by the big boys. So now he's behind the 8 ball even more. The rumblings are getting louder out of College Station. What big alum will step up & buy out Fran's contract? Signed thru 2011 at ~$2 million per year, so you're looking at around $10+ million, then you have to hire a new coach. That is big $$ stuff even for a school like A&M with the resources, alumni, etc. to get it done.

Name 1 positive thing that Fran has done for the football program? He's in his 4th year & his record is a sparkling 20-20 overall. Worst loss in school history 77-0 to OU. 1 bowl game blowout to Tennessee. Record vs. Texas, OU, Tech, & Nebraska = 1-10 (& 1 win was in overtime vs. Tech at Kyle Field). And please don't count facility upgrades because that is not his doing. He did donate $1 million to the new indoor facility (nice tax deduction also). The man is set for life. His arrogant, pompous attitude does not play well at A&M or in this state in general. HS coaches for the most part despise him. He only hires people he can put under his thumb. It's time for change. A&M needs a young, vibrant coach who can re-energize the program.

Few things on the game:
1. How in the world do you quit running J. Lane in the 4th quarter? Stats were 12 carries for 77 yds. = 6.4 yds. per carry
2. Conservative play calling on drive to take lead; yes A&M got a FG but played scared w/ a dive on 2nd & 12, then option to short side of field on 3rd down. Settled for FG & gave Tech a chance to win the game.
3. McGee is a heck of a leader, but his passing game has not been developed so far. He seems very unsure w/ happy feet & stares down receivers. No progression (1, 2, 3) as routes develop & coverages change. I blame this on coaching. The tools are there & he threw for over 8000 yds. at Burnet.
4. Stupid penalties, like 2 roughing the passer & 1 unsportsmanlike conduct. All 3 kept drives alive. That is called lack of discipline.
5. Gary Darnell & his gimmick 4-2-5 defense. A&M had some success in the 2nd half playing more zone. What does he do? Calls 2 max blitzes on the final drive's 2 biggest plays. Left a RS freshman corner all alone vs. Tech's Robert Johnson. Johnson made a nice catch for his 3rd td of the day. Jordan Peterson had good coverage but never played the ball. Middle of the field was open all day for underneath routes. TCU got after Harrell in their win & gave different looks all day. Darnell is a joke & one of Fran's old buddies (unemployed when A&M hired him). Look at his resume' for proof (fired at Texas, Notre Dame, & Western Michigan). Team speed on defense is abysmal. It's Justin Warren (legit) & then everybody else.

Names being tossed around are Bo Pellini (DC at LSU), Gene Chizik (DC at Texas), Mike Zimmer (DC for Dallas Cowboys), & a few others.

Sounds like the same rumblings that R.C. faced at his end time.

g$$
10-01-2006, 09:26 AM
But RC won a lot of ballgames & was well-liked by virtually everyone. He won numerous SWC titles, a Big 12 title, lost another Big 12 title game, & got A&M in a BCS Bowl. RC just could not get A&M over the hump. He NEVER had a losing record.

Hey, I wanted a change too. But when it does not work out, you have to pull the plug & move forward. Texas did it when McWilliams & Mackovic did not work out, & OU did it when Gibbs, Schnellenberger, & Blake did not either. Both seem pretty happy with Mack & Stoops now!! The key is knowing when to move on.

big daddy russ
10-01-2006, 09:31 AM
I'd love to see Chizik at A&M. You know the Wrecking Crew would come back with him at the helm.

raider red 2000
10-01-2006, 09:33 AM
I like FRAN. He is FRANTASTIC.

main reason i like him.....TECH keeps winning :)

i agree with you G$$ if I was an AGGIE FRAN is a joke. I would want a refund on my alumni donations and over priced season ticekts.

g$$
10-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Amen brother. Congrats to Tech. And Leach's quote about a "pirate beating a soldier" was a classic Leachism. He's one strange cat, but he's done a great job there. Give him credit.

TAMUGRAD
10-01-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Amen brother. Congrats to Tech. And Leach's quote about a "pirate beating a soldier" was a classic Leachism. He's one strange cat, but he's done a great job there. Give him credit.

Thanks for clearing up what he said. I have one good ear and I thought he said " a pirate can be a soldier". I did not get it. Guess I need a DVR so I can replay what I don't hear.

DaRaiderz
10-01-2006, 11:53 AM
A&M needs to accept one simple fact....you are a 2nd tier Division 1 football program. You are destined to regularly fight for 3rd place in the Big 12 South. Accept it.

The late 1980's and early 90's were a fluke, not the way it will and should be. This in fact, is reality. Look at the obstacles that are against you from a recruiting standpoint. You have three major, 1st tier programs within 350 miles of you. LSU is to the east, OU is to the north and big brother himself is to your west in Austin. UH is getting stronger. That means your major talent pool, Houston, has a new competitor on the block. They will take players from A&M simply on the fact that UH's student body is going to look a little more appealing to a young, inner city Houston man that College Station. Argue all you want, but its a fact.

Tier 2 programs will have their years where they really put something together and make a 1-3 run of strong success (see West Virginia now, Arizona St in the Plummer years and Colorado in the Darrian Hagen days) so hope is there for an occasional BCS birth. You do however need to accept your fate. You can not and will not consistently challege for the Big 12 title, not to mention the national title. Take pride in what you are and quit griping because you cannot become what you think you should be. Coach Fran is not that bad. The Alamo Bowl is not that bad.

Adidas410s
10-01-2006, 11:54 AM
I doubt Chizik ends up at A&M. I think the young HC at Nevada would be a nice pickup for the Ags...plus he would come at a "discount" compared to some of the bigger names. Wouldn't be a bad thing for a budget with a $6 mil shortfall last season! ;)

big daddy russ
10-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by DaRaiderz
A&M needs to accept one simple fact....you are a 2nd tier Division 1 football program. You are destined to regularly fight for 3rd place in the Big 12 South. Accept it.

The late 1980's and early 90's were a fluke, not the way it will and should be. This in fact, is reality. Look at the obstacles that are against you from a recruiting standpoint. You have three major, 1st tier programs within 350 miles of you. LSU is to the east, OU is to the north and big brother himself is to your west in Austin. UH is getting stronger. That means your major talent pool, Houston, has a new competitor on the block. They will take players from A&M simply on the fact that UH's student body is going to look a little more appealing to a young, inner city Houston man that College Station. Argue all you want, but its a fact.

Tier 2 programs will have their years where they really put something together and make a 1-3 run of strong success (see West Virginia now, Arizona St in the Plummer years and Colorado in the Darrian Hagen days) so hope is there for an occasional BCS birth. You do however need to accept your fate. You can not and will not consistently challege for the Big 12 title, not to mention the national title. Take pride in what you are and quit griping because you cannot become what you think you should be. Coach Fran is not that bad. The Alamo Bowl is not that bad.
ROFL. So you're saying the 300+ Division I recruits that Texas puts out on a yearly basis wouldn't be enough for the second-biggest football school in Texas? Over the last four years combined, A&M has had the ninth-best cumulative recruiting classes. If Auburn can compete with the 15th-best and Notre Dame can compete with the 19th-best, the Ags should have something in the tank worth more than what they're putting out.

I mean, come on, do you actually believe that Houston High is going to outrecruit A&M anytime soon.

SWMustang
10-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
ROFL.

I mean, come on, do you actually believe that Houston High is going to outrecruit A&M anytime soon.

I don't know if outrecruit is possible, but their going to grab some players away from A&M. Who recruited Jackie Battle and Kevin Kolb? ( I don't know, but they seem like big time players to me) I think Art Briles is doing a good job at getting in good with Texas High School coaches.

wedo
10-01-2006, 10:40 PM
ROFL.

UUMM Yeah!!! I don't think that a&m could compete with Miami like UH did last night!! Miami might be down but they still have the talent!!!

Bulldog_12
10-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by wedo
UUMM Yeah!!! I don't think that a&m could compete with Miami like UH did last night!! Miami might be down but they still have the talent!!!

Miami is in the same situation as us. Coker won with another coaches recruits and since then has been falling off. Fran, well, he has a problem winning with anyones recruits. Kolb is an amazing quarterback and miami has an AWFUL offense. THAT is why they hung with Miami. Down is an understatement for The U this year.

FWIW: Cougar High cant out-recruit A&M for recruits. I laugh at you for even mentioning they can.

big daddy russ
10-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I doubt Chizik ends up at A&M. I think the young HC at Nevada would be a nice pickup for the Ags...plus he would come at a "discount" compared to some of the bigger names. Wouldn't be a bad thing for a budget with a $6 mil shortfall last season! ;)
If a couple of the A&M alums thinks he's worth it, I bet you'd see someone step up to the plate. And if you look at his body of work, it'd be pretty tough to turn him down even with a Chris Ault waiting in the wings (I got his name right, didn't I?).

One thing that Ault might have a problem with is the personnel that A&M has on the roster. You have a couple of potential All-American backs for the next three years, but only two good, young receivers... and neither's an All-American. I think Byrnes would be more likely to look at a guy who runs a more traditional offense and take advantage of the fact that Goodson and Lane are in the backfield.

One name I haven't heard mentioned but would be great in that situation is another Auburn product, current OC Al Borges. Other guys who might fit in well (and this is all just my opinion... I haven't heard what they can or can't afford, what they may or may be looking at, etc) would be Old Man Novak at Northern Illinois, the HC up at Cal Poly, or if they're considering Ault maybe even take a look at Mark Farley up at Northern Iowa. Even though UNI runs their offense out of a shotgun quite a bit, they still mix it up between the run and pass.

But those are just one man's ramblings.

big daddy russ
10-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I don't know if outrecruit is possible, but their going to grab some players away from A&M. Who recruited Jackie Battle and Kevin Kolb? ( I don't know, but they seem like big time players to me) I think Art Briles is doing a good job at getting in good with Texas High School coaches.
Absolutely. From everything I've heard, Briles has done everything short of giving away his kidneys to sell the University of Houston, and they'll get their Andre Wares and Kevin Kolbs. I was just saying that I doubt we'll ever see the day that UH becomes the recruiting power that A&M is.

JR2004
10-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Can an A&M fan answer me the following question please? Why is Gary Darnell your defensive coordinator? Being a UT fan I'm obviously overjoyed by him overseeing your defense, but WHY? The man coached the three worst defenses, statistically speaking, in the history of UT football. How was bringing in Darnell even possible with his past history as a coordinator?

big daddy russ
10-01-2006, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Can an A&M fan answer me this question please. Why is Gary Darnell your defensive coordinator? Being a UT fan I'm obviously overjoyed by him overseeing your defense, but WHY? The man coached the three worst defenses, statistically speaking, in the history of UT football. How was bringing in Darnell even possible with his past history as a coordinator?
You'd have to talk to either Franny or God himself for that answer. I have no clue how a guy who was fired from Western Michigan got on board with the Ags.

bulldogman06
10-01-2006, 10:56 PM

You are stupid. the 80s and 90s were a fluke? Thats like saying oh, I am sorry Auburn, but the past few years have been a fluke, you can go back to sucking again. doesnt make sense to me. How about in 1998 when A&M finished 6th in the nation?. Oh, and how are FSU, Miami, and Florida always so good if they are closer to each other, and dont have the kind of recruits texas puts out every year? Please explain to me how this makes any sense at all

AggieJohn
10-01-2006, 11:01 PM
Looking back on this I'm pissed.....

Grahmn Harrell is not a HOSS.....

Jordan Peterson got punked all day long, and then burned on the last play that let the RR win the game, and Darnell didn't give Jordan any extra help

Dodge's interception is an interception...his hand was on the ground...

Darnell's 4-2-5 is not what has made our defense better.....our players getting older has made our defense better....

Blitzing up on the last play when they have little to no time and have to throw is stupid....

Bulldog_12
10-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn

Jordan Peterson got punked all day long, and then burned on the last play that let the RR win the game, and Darnell didn't give Jordan any extra help

Darnell's 4-2-5 is not what has made our defense better.....our players getting older has made our defense better....

Blitzing up on the last play when they have little to no time and have to throw is stupid....

I agree on some of that, but Dodge's "INT" was not one. Ive watched it and even he is surprised that the ref called it. Both times Darnell Blitzed we got burned for a TD. Why he blitzed on that last play, ill never know, But I am moving on to worry about Kansas. A lot of people have been overlooking this game.

KTJ
10-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by bulldogman06
You are stupid. the 80s and 90s were a fluke? Thats like saying oh, I am sorry Auburn, but the past few years have been a fluke, you can go back to sucking again. doesnt make sense to me. How about in 1998 when A&M finished 6th in the nation?. Oh, and how are FSU, Miami, and Florida always so good if they are closer to each other, and dont have the kind of recruits texas puts out every year? Please explain to me how this makes any sense at all

But what does A&M have beyond that little 10 year stint? One NC from the 30's? Good overall football program, yes they are. An elite program (Texas, ND, USC, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Florida, etc.) I don't think so. (That's just my opinion....please, PLEASE, don't take it the wrong way. I can't stand to argue anymore because I'm too hungry. :D)

As for head coaches, there really is not logical reason for a Turbeville, Rodriguez, Tedford, or Ferentz type coach to leave what they have now to go to A&M. I think A&M, should they even decided to go elsewhere, is going to have to go the coordinator or possible up-and-comer type coach. The "name" coaches have no reason to leave their schools at this time.

As for Chizik, I see him as more of an SEC/Big 10 type coach, as different as those conferences are. I was talking about this at the tailgate a few weeks ago and I said Chizik will be the next Michigan State head coach. We'll see... But the rumors here in Austin are that he's being groomed to be the next HC when Mack retires. But a.) Mack isn't retiring anytime soon, I don't think and b.) Texas has an unwritten policy not to hire anyone to be a HC without previous experience as a HC at the DI level.

big daddy russ
10-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
As for Chizik, I see him as more of an SEC/Big 10 type coach, as different as those conferences are. I was talking about this at the tailgate a few weeks ago and I said Chizik will be the next Michigan State head coach. We'll see... But the rumors here in Austin are that he's being groomed to be the next HC when Mack retires. But a.) Mack isn't retiring anytime soon, I don't think and b.) Texas has an unwritten policy not to hire anyone to be a HC without previous experience as a HC at the DI level.
Why Michigan State?

I was always thinking NFL DC or major CFB head coach... my thoughts were always with a waning former powerhouse (Miami, Alabama, maybe Florida State if Bowden ever retires).

Wherever he goes, it'd have to be somewhere with deep pockets. UT lined them well enough to keep the Jax Jaguars at bay a couple of years ago (and I think he also likes college better than the NFL... so that may have played a role), but he said numerous times that he was inches away from taking the job in Jax.

But MSU is interesting. A complete departure from everything he's done so far in his career. A different type of personnel than he's used to seeing in his defenses (a 3-4 instead of a 4-3, they're not very fast, but are big up front), a spread offense, and a cold weather school. I don't think he's ever coached anywhere north of Auburn.

I really don't think he'll wind up at A&M since adidas brought up those points about the budget shortfall and the buyout on Franny's contract, but I do see him as a head guy somewhere.

Bulldog_12
10-01-2006, 11:28 PM
I dont see Fran leaving this year unless we completely TANK the rest of the way. Byrne has already left himself with an out should Fran be borderline by saying earlier in the year that a true rebuilding process will take about 6 years with the shape our program was in when he got here. I dont know why, but I am still optimistic. I feel like there is at least forward progress this year. There is a different swagger with this team. Or at least there was coming into this game. It was nice to see that the Ags were pumped up and stayed in the game, which is something that cannot be said for last years team (for the most part). We'll see if I eat my words later in this year. (hopefully not though):thumbsup:

TAMUGRAD
10-01-2006, 11:35 PM

Anything and everything I have to say in reply to such an asinine post would get me banned.

KTJ
10-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Michigan State? Why MSU?

I think John L. Smith is gone after this year. MSU seems to lose those big time games they should win for no reason.

With that said, I have no clue as to why I picked Michigan State. Hell, he could go to UNC.

bulldogman06
10-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Yea, i had to really settle myself before i posted back on that.

AggieJohn
10-02-2006, 12:16 AM
the one positive thing is that we are one less game from firing his tail

KTJ
10-02-2006, 12:22 AM
Why Michigan State?

I was always thinking NFL DC or major CFB head coach... my thoughts were always with a waning former powerhouse (Miami, Alabama, maybe Florida State if Bowden ever retires).

Wherever he goes, it'd have to be somewhere with deep pockets. UT lined them well enough to keep the Jax Jaguars at bay a couple of years ago (and I think he also likes college better than the NFL... so that may have played a role), but he said numerous times that he was inches away from taking the job in Jax.

But MSU is interesting. A complete departure from everything he's done so far in his career. A different type of personnel than he's used to seeing in his defenses (a 3-4 instead of a 4-3, they're not very fast, but are big up front), a spread offense, and a cold weather school. I don't think he's ever coached anywhere north of Auburn.

I really don't think he'll wind up at A&M since adidas brought up those points about the budget shortfall and the buyout on Franny's contract, but I do see him as a head guy somewhere.

Everything I've read says that Schiano at Rutgers could be at Miami next year.

AggieJohn
10-02-2006, 12:25 AM
or Torbush

Adidas410s
10-02-2006, 12:26 AM

John...you need to start getting Russ and the other Aggie faithful to approve your posts before putting them out there! ;)

Dodge's pick was NOT a pick. For the officials to review it...it had to be ruled as an interception (I'm about 98.3489% sure) because replays can't review incomplete passes when it is clear that the player is in bounds.

As for Peterson getting burned on the last play...go to http://texastech.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/093006aab.html# and look at pics #6 and 7. He had solid coverage on RoJo...the Raiders just made a play.

Bulldog_12
10-02-2006, 12:28 AM
I have to agree with Adidas, as pissed off as I was after this game, Tech just made the play when they needed it most. It was a great pass that was put to where only the receiver could get it. Im really glad we were in that game, after the first quarter, it could have gotten really ugly.

AggieJohn
10-02-2006, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
John...you need to start getting Russ and the other Aggie faithful to approve your posts before putting them out there! ;)

Dodge's pick was NOT a pick. For the officials to review it...it had to be ruled as an interception (I'm about 98.3489% sure) because replays can't review incomplete passes when it is clear that the player is in bounds.

As for Peterson getting burned on the last play...go to http://texastech.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/093006aab.html# and look at pics #6 and 7. He had solid coverage on RoJo...the Raiders just made a play. when you lose alot your irate and irrational

you wouldn't understand

District303aPastPlayer
10-02-2006, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
I think John L. Smith is gone after this year. MSU seems to lose those big time games they should win for no reason.

With that said, I have no clue as to why I picked Michigan State. Hell, he could go to UNC.

Didn't Mack Brown come from UNC?
With that said, Michigan State is in a state of disarray... how do you blow a lead to Football U, then turn around and lose to a Big 10 basketball school in Illinois...

About the Rutgers coach... its been the talk of the news on most college football programs lately that he will wind up at The U once Coker is canned.

g$$
10-02-2006, 09:21 AM
1. Darnell was hired for one reason: he & Fran used to coach together at Tennessee Tech & K State many years ago. Again, Fran only hires coaches he can put under his thumb & tell him how smart he is. Nobody young & w/ new ideas. He's a paranoid control freak. My buddy left his staff a few months ago for that very reason.

2. Chris Ault @ Nevada is not young. He came out of retirement to take the reigns again. Good coach yes, not a good fit for A&M.

3. For the guy who compared A&M & UH, you need your head examined. A&M is top 20 all-time in wins & #22 in winning %. Plenty of talent to go around in Texas anyway. We produce more D1 talent than California, Florida, everybody. Look it up. No comparison b/t these schools or conferences.

4. A&M is down, no doubt, but not a Tier 2 school. Top 20 infrastructure is there w/ alumni, support, $$, resources, facilities, academics, etc. Sleeping giant as Darrell Royal called it years ago. Same applies today.

5. Money makes people do a lot of things. The list is long on coaches who have been at both A&M & Texas. Chizik may be next, or possibly Pellini from LSU.

Fran needs a miracle to save his job. Prediction: fired after Texas game before rollover year on contract kicks in during December.

(The Dodge Int did hit the ground too. Reverse angle showed it clearly. And Peterson did have good coverage, but he had no help against a tough receiver & did not play the ball. Tech made the play & Darnell is an idiot.)

AggieJohn
10-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by g$$
1. Darnell was hired for one reason: he & Fran used to coach together at Tennessee Tech & K State many years ago. Again, Fran only hires coaches he can put under his thumb & tell him how smart he is. Nobody young & w/ new ideas. He's a paranoid control freak. My buddy left his staff a few months ago for that very reason.

2. Chris Ault @ Nevada is not young. He came out of retirement to take the reigns again. Good coach yes, not a good fit for A&M.

3. For the guy who compared A&M & UH, you need your head examined. A&M is top 20 all-time in wins & #22 in winning %. Plenty of talent to go around in Texas anyway. We produce more D1 talent than California, Florida, everybody. Look it up. No comparison b/t these schools or conferences.

4. A&M is down, no doubt, but not a Tier 2 school. Top 20 infrastructure is there w/ alumni, support, $$, resources, facilities, academics, etc. Sleeping giant as Darrell Royal called it years ago. Same applies today.

5. Money makes people do a lot of things. The list is long on coaches who have been at both A&M & Texas. Chizik may be next, or possibly Pellini from LSU.

Fran needs a miracle to save his job. Prediction: fired after Texas game before rollover year on contract kicks in during December.
god bless you g$$

big daddy russ
10-02-2006, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
I think John L. Smith is gone after this year. MSU seems to lose those big time games they should win for no reason. Hell, he could go to UNC. With that said, I have no clue as to why I picked Michigan State.

Gotcha. Makes sense that Smith would retire. I hear he breaks a hip every game they're winning/tied late in the fourth.

Originally posted by KTJ
Everything I've read says that Schiano at Rutgers could be at Miami next year.
Crazy stuff. I haven't kept up enough with that end of things and had no clue, but Schiano would be a great pickup.

g$$
10-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Schiano to Miami makes sense. He previously coached there as DC I believe. He is a NJ guy though, so we'll see if Rutgers can ante up. Probably Miami bound.

AggieJohn
10-02-2006, 09:35 AM
what about shannon from the U to A&M

WestTXLonghorn
10-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Yeah, always fun seeing the Aggies struggle.

Chizik isn't going to Aggsyville. Why would he? So he can battle Mack Brown for recruits every year? Nah, IF Chizik jumps ship it'll be to a legit school like Miami, with a deep talent pool to choose from that isn't controlled by powerhouses like Texas, and a conference where his team can be a threat early.

Think about Miami. He'd have great recruits. . .a big time program. . .lotsa of doner money. . .and he'd be playing in the ACC. FSU is starting to tank and so you'd just had to beat Va. Tech, Ga. Tech, and Clemson to be top dog.;)

g$$
10-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Randy Shannon's stock was higher last year. Never been a HC which might hurt him. I hate to say it, & it should NOT matter, but do you think A&M would hire a minority HC for football? They did it with Melvin Watkins in basketball, & he flopped, so maybe. I think he could do some great things in recruiting.

May have to cut his teeth 1st as a HC at a smaller school. Good coach, no doubt.

g$$
10-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Don't rule Chizik out West Tx. The man wants to be a HC, & A&M offers all the amenities of a big-time program. It's not the recruits Texas is getting as much as keeping the other top kids home. Our state produced 396 D1 kids last year ranking 1st nationally (then Florida, California, Ga, & Ohio). Plenty to go around. I still say it's Chizik or Pellini when it all shakes out.

AggieJohn
10-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Randy Shannon's stock was higher last year. Never been a HC which might hurt him. I hate to say it, & it should NOT matter, but do you think A&M would hire a minority HC for football? They did it with Melvin Watkins in basketball, & he flopped, so maybe. I think he could do some great things in recruiting.

May have to cut his teeth 1st as a HC at a smaller school. Good coach, no doubt. they should of done it last year....and i think having a brother could help out with our recruiting base big time!!!

big daddy russ
10-02-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by WestTXLonghorn
Yeah, always fun seeing the Aggies struggle.

Chizik isn't going to Aggsyville. Why would he? So he can battle Mack Brown for recruits every year? Nah, IF Chizik jumps ship it'll be to a legit school like Miami, with a deep talent pool to choose from that isn't controlled by powerhouses like Texas, and a conference where his team can be a threat early.

Think about Miami. He'd have great recruits. . .a big time program. . .lotsa of doner money. . .and he'd be playing in the ACC. FSU is starting to tank and so you'd just had to beat Va. Tech, Ga. Tech, and Clemson to be top dog.;)
So you're saying he'd rather go to a university that competes heavily against two other big time in-state programs and three major out-of-state universities (Auburn, Tennessee, and UGA) for his recruits in a state which produces roughly 225 D-I prospects a year? A&M's a university that has one of the top ten football budgets in the nation (roughly $40M) and competes against only one other big time in-state program and two out-of states (OU and, to a lesser extent, LSU) for a state which pumps out about 350 prospects a year.

Now if you're saying he's trying to get back home, I'd buy that, but if you're trying to say that he'd go to Miami with his motivating factor being better recruiting, you've lost your mind. They recruit better than A&M when they're coming off national titles (read: three years ago) but would they pool the same interest as A&M after a 5-6 season? Especially when they're playing their home games in front of a half-full stadium?

g$$
10-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Good post Russ. FWIW, state of Texas last year:

375 HS
20 JC
1 Prep
= 396 D1 recruits

(Florida 367, Cali 337, Ga 150, Ohio 131)

Plenty to go around. Just have to keep top kids home. Miami right now is struggling to hold on to commits. Attendance Sat. for UH/Miami game was 36, 107 in the Orange Bowl. Rarely sellout except for FSU, etc. Miami is on the way down.

big daddy russ
10-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Good post Russ. FWIW, state of Texas last year:

375 HS
20 JC
1 Prep
= 396 D1 recruits

(Florida 367, Cali 337, Ga 150, Ohio 131)

Plenty to go around. Just have to keep top kids home. Miami right now is struggling to hold on to commits. Attendance Sat. for UH/Miami game was 36, 107 in the Orange Bowl. Rarely sellout except for FSU, etc. Miami is on the way down.
I may have to take some of my post back. Looks like Florida and Cali both had boon years. I know CA tends to go over 300 from tmie to time, but Florida's usually under CA... or maybe I'm thinking of just HS signees. Either way, 367 recruits is nothing to hang your head about.

g$$
10-02-2006, 10:26 AM
FWIW: 2006 Recruiting

Florida = 334 HS + 27 JC + 6 Preps = 367 D1 recruits

Cali = 237 HS + 100 JC = 337 D1 recruits
(Cali known for JC system)

FYI: Texas is currently 3rd behind these 2 states above in NFL guys this year. 1st time in recent memory. We still lead in D1 college recruits obviously.

from David Barron, Houston Chronicle:
Longtime readers of Texas Football magazine know that I annually compile a state by state list of high school seniors that sign Division I-A scholarship letters of intent. Texas has led that list each year that I've compiled it, but that doesn't carry over to the NFL. The league reported this week that California turned out the most players on NFL opening-day rosters with 206, followed by Florida with 177 and Texas with 175.

Two high schools from Florida, two from California and one from Hawaii lead with five players each. Twenty schools have four alumni each, including Angleton, Dallas Carter, DeSoto, Lufkin and Midland Lee.

AggieJohn
10-02-2006, 10:27 AM
http://www.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2006/10/061001_slapjls.gif

could we please not hire this guy

WestTXLonghorn
10-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Ok, let me go over the reason why there is a 99.99999% chance Chizik will NOT take the HC job @ ATM.

1. Chizik has a lot of respect for Mack and Texas. This has been proven by him staying here when Jax and others have offered him jobs.

2. To my knowledge, Chizik has NEVER expressed interest in a HC job. The only thing I've heard from Chizik is that he absolutely loves Austin, loves the team, and is happy where he is at.

3. Supposing that Chizik DID want a HC job somewhere, he's going to probably want to go where there is a buttload of cash and where there is a decent program. Maybe ATM has bottomless pockets, but getting rid of Franochino is going to cost them more than keeping him and with all the renovations they've done, I don't know that they have the bucks to pull in Chizik. Also, ATM just doesn't have the program reputation that other big time schools have if they come calling.

4. Recruiting. Yes, if Chizik took over at Miami he would be competiting with a lot of other schools for top recruits, no doubt. However, he wouldn't be recruiting against arguably the best man in the biz and a guy he just got done working for. Mack has a strangehold on the top recruits here in Texas and the noose is only going to get tighter. At least in the ACC and Florida no one team gets the pick of the litter and then everyone else has to fight for scraps.....

5. Chizik doesn't seem to me to be fit into the "Aggsy" mold. From everything I've heard him say and heard about him, he's a laid back guy that is a damn good coach. I don't think he'd really fit in with the screaming cadets and the whole "thing" down there at College Station.

I'm glad Aggsy faithful are looking to jump ship on Franochino. However, thinking Chizik is going to become ya'lls HC is just another pipe dream. Kinda like thinking Franochino was going to come in and pull your program out of the gutter....

I hope they keep Frantastic around, honestly. He'll keep scheduling 4 D-1AA schools in OOC, he'll keep losing to Tech, OU, and the Horns, and he'll keep the Aggies a mediocre football team whos new hardcore rival will be the Baylor Bears.:p

AggieJohn
10-02-2006, 11:09 AM
I hope they keep Frantastic around, honestly. He'll keep scheduling 4 D-1AA schools in OOC, he'll keep losing to Tech, OU, and the Horns, and he'll keep the Aggies a mediocre football team whos new hardcore rival will be the Baylor Bears.:p

you, my friend, are an.....http://images.google.com/url?q=http://kids.christiansunite.com/images/animals/ass.jpg&sig=__XdaTh1C5yXmNQQJNZ4LwIIN8krU=

WestTXLonghorn
10-02-2006, 11:17 AM
you, my friend, are an.....http://images.google.com/url?q=http://kids.christiansunite.com/images/animals/ass.jpg&sig=__XdaTh1C5yXmNQQJNZ4LwIIN8krU=

Yeah, you've sunk pretty far John. Really, posting stupid pictures is about all you've got left considering the absolute non-factor the Ags are in the Big 12 and college football.

Gig 'em!!!

AggieJohn
10-02-2006, 11:26 AM
ags a non-factor???.....you act like this one loss is this doomsday for the aggies. it's not, it's a loss. however, it spells out how much we want the coaching office cleared out at A&M.....a&m's coaches screwed the players out of that win...you don't call a blitz up the middle on an obvious pass.....you hadn't been getting to the QB all day.....and then you leave Peterson out there to defend himself......

Their is still hope for this team...we played a gimmick offense, which is somethign that Nebraska, OU, and Texas are not....we have yet too see if this season is going to be a wash for the Aggies.....

One thing is for sure.....Fran needs to be gone after this season....he shows no emotion, no fire, nothing......

g$$
10-02-2006, 12:43 PM
So let me understand you West TX: Mack has a stranglehold on ALL recruits in Texas? Let's see, our state produced 396 D1 recruits last year right? The max you can sign in 1 year is 25 right? So if you give Texas their allotment, that leaves plenty. The key is keeping the top kids at home. There is plenty of talent to go around. Getting it done is the question. USC was down before Carroll got there. Texas was down w/ Mackovic. OU was down w/ Gibbs, Schnellenberger, & Blake. Who says the right coach can't re-energize the program? That Aggie "thing" you reference is a big school w/ a rabid fan base. And the infrastructure in place to get it done. That cadet thing you talk about makes up about 2000 of the 45,000 student body. A&M is a much more diverse place than it used to be. You really think the next coach cares about the # of cadets there anyway?

Not bashing Texas or Mack - he is a great recruiter. But he can only sign 25 per year. And Chizik has said he will only leave Austin for a HC job. Lots of coaches have been at both places.

You're right on one thing. A&M lost $6 million last year in the athletic department. It will take big alums buying him out to get it done. But, money talks & then things happen. We'll see.

g$$
10-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Emory Bellard is given credit for inventing the Wishbone offense. He was the OC at Texas under Coach Royal. Do you think his respect for Darrell Royal prevented him from becoming the HC at A&M in the '70s?

That answer is NO. And Bellard had some good years in Aggieland & remains good friends with DKR today. Lots of coaches have been at both places. Quit kidding yourself. Every good coach worth his salt wants a shot to run his own program. And Mack is not leaving anytime soon. Chizik will be a HC somewhere & soon.

g$$
10-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Kinda like Rick Barnes had a "stranglehold" on Texas basketball recruits a few years ago right? Now that Billy Gillispie is at A&M (preseason #14) & with a top class the past 2 years, that no longer is true. Texas is young & not ranked at all. Things can change in a hurry when you win & make a commitment to it.

Saw where your boy Henry Melton tore up SHSU to the tune of 19 carries = 63 yds. Barely over 3 yds. per carry against the vaunted Bearkats. But he would start anywhere in the country right? You bet...

KTJ
10-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Why the Texas bashing?

And yeah, UT is young and not ranked but we will be starting/playing the #2 ranked recruiting class in the nation, including the #2 national recruit. Not to mention, Texas has a history in basketball that A&M can't even touch...and Texas' basketball history isn't even that spectacular.

g$$
10-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Not bashing. It was a comparison as to how things can change. A&M has the top kid in the state / top 10 nationally ready to sign in November, Deandre Jordan out of Houston. Last 2 classes were both Top 10 nationally at A&M. But A&M also returns 2 All Big 12 performers in Acie Law & Joseph Jones. You better have some veterans to go along with those youngsters in the rugged Big 12. Kevin Durant will need some help since you lost your ENTIRE starting five.

KTJ
10-02-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Not bashing. It was a comparison as to how things can change. A&M has the top kid in the state / top 10 nationally ready to sign in November, Deandre Jordan out of Houston. Last 2 classes were both Top 10 nationally at A&M. But A&M also returns 2 All Big 12 performers in Acie Law & Joseph Jones. You better have some veterans to go along with those youngsters in the rugged Big 12. Kevin Durant will need some help since you lost your ENTIRE starting five.

Yes, I know that.

g$$
10-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Neither school has a great reputation in basketball. Both had a couple of good years in the '80s. Texas has had a resurgence under Penders & then even more under Barnes. Now Gillispie has A&M on the rise nationally.

Both have a lot to prove on the national scene.

whtfbplaya
10-02-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Few things on the game:

Wow great view.:clap: I was just about to post the same thing.

big daddy russ
10-02-2006, 01:53 PM
WestTX:

I like how you laid out your points. Very thorough and solid and a good basis for your argument. We're just going to have to agree to disagree this time. ;) Auburn's a lot like A&M in that it's the "conservative" state school in Alabama, as opposed to Bama, the liberal arts college. Still, Chizik loved his time on the Plains.

I also think Chizik visited a couple of programs looking for a HC when he decided on UT, but nothing that piqued his interest. A few minor players, and when it came down to the nitty gritty he was determined to either...

a.) take the Jax job,
b.) go to UT, or
c.) stay at Auburn.

Mack offered him a spot as the Assistant Coach and lined his pockets with all that Longhorn money, so it was tough to pass up. The Forty Acres is a great place to put on your resume, and the fact that he took the Asst. Coach position over the NFL spot tells me that he's looking to move up.

One more thing: at A&M he'd have to compete with two of the best recruiters in the nation, Mack and Stoops. At Miami, he's up against the same with Papa Bowden, Meyer, and Bowden protege Mark Richt.

Still, I can see where you're coming from. Good job on laying out your points, why you believe what you do, and supporting them.

WestTXLonghorn
10-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Next time try getting all your befuddled ideas out in one post.

Yes, you are correct. Texas can only sign around 25 kids a year. You obviously didn't read my post very well however. I said Mack had a stranglehold on recruiting in the state (meaning top talent) and that he basically gets to pick who he wants and then everyone else gets a turn.

You act like ATM, Tech, and other schools get to pick MORE than 25 kids a year. Mack gets to pick 25 and almost every kid he wants he gets. So, Mack gets 25 kids who he wants and are at the top of the pile. In other words, 5 stars and really good 4 star recruits. Franochino and Leach TRY to pick up those great kids but they get beat out by Mack. Thus, Mack has a stranglehold on recruiting in the state. I don't remember the exact numbers but I think ole Fran got exactly 1 recruit to pick ATM over Texas/Oklahoma this past year. In case you don't understand that. . .it means in head-to-head recruiting matchups with Mack and Stoops, Fran won and got his man ONCE.

The Ags ARE a non-factor in the Big 12 this year. Texas Tech is having a down year compared to the past few good runs they've been having. So, who exactly is Aggsy going to beat this year?

Kansas gave Nebraska a tough game so ATM could definitely lose that one.

Missouri is 5-0 and ranked in the Top 25 so no guarantee the Ags win that one.

Oklahoma State is definitely a winnable game. So, there's 1 conference win.

Baylor is now ATM's arch rival in the Big 12. The Bears probably win this game, but it'll be a nailbiter either way.

The next two games are OU and Nebraska so chalk up 2 losses right there. Then, of course, the Ags finish up with the Horns. . .AT DKR. . .

So. . .ATM could very possible pitch an 0-fer in conference play with a ceiling of about 3 wins if they somehow were to pull an upset along the way.

Finally, no one cares about Henry Melton. He's a 270 lb. running back. . .that right there just makes him a funny story to talk about with your friends. Kinda like Japorky. Congrats on the Gravy Train tearing up the VAUNTED Red Raider defense. Also, I'm sure Mack and ole Greg Davis were trying to call some intricate plays to get Melton some major yardage against the Bearkats. From what I heard of the game, they just put in all the backups before halftime and ran the same boring stuff play after play to get the game over as quick as possible. Who cares what his yards were? The only reason anyone ever said he was better than Japorky was to piss you Aggsy faithful off since Japorky is just about the only bright spot on your football team. And he has to take every other play off to keep from having a heart attack!

I think the Aggsy faithful need to focus on getting rid of Franochino first before they start dreaming about pulling in Chizik.

EDIT: Seriously tho, I hate piling on the Aggy program because it really is unfair. The people there rely SO much on their football team and they've just been disappointed over and over again. It is really sad to see a con-man like Frantastic come in and ruin that program even further while stealing $2 mill a year. It's really sickening. Hopefully the alumni and donors have seen the light and they'll toss that loser out on his rear and get in a real coach. Then ATM can start helping the Big 12 get back to being the powerhouse conference in college football instead of holding it back.

Bulldog_12
10-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Why the Texas bashing?

It all stems from WestTXBonehead getting in and taking shots whenever possible. Its people like him that make me hate your school KTJ. Sorry people like him ruin it for the rest of your fanbase.

g$$
10-02-2006, 02:23 PM
West TX: No need to run thru the schedule. I have said previously that Fran wins 6-7 games, then he gets canned if big donors step up. Gotta bite the bullet to move forward. My thoughts on FRAUDchione are well-documented.

Funny how you've back-tracked on the "Melton Bandwagon". I saw the game on replay & he is still an average RB. Looks good in a uniform though. Got that going for you, which is nice.

Hey genius - I know the rules. It's called the 25/85 rule. Can sign 25 per year & max 85 on scholarship at a time. Things can change in a hurry w/ the right coach. Ex. A&M basketball currently. You sure jump around & never answer questions once your beliefs are debunked. Par for your course, as usual.

P.S. There are more than 25 stud recruits in Texas & elsewhere each year!! Keep the blinders on ok? They fit you very well.

KTJ
10-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Neither school has a great reputation in basketball. Both had a couple of good years in the '80s. Texas has had a resurgence under Penders & then even more under Barnes. Now Gillispie has A&M on the rise nationally.

Both have a lot to prove on the national scene.

I think Texas has a rep on the National scene. A recent FF appearance, one of only 4 schools to make it to the Sweet 16 the last 4 out of the last 5 years, top 5 recruiting classes the last several years, one of the best facilities/practice facilities in the nation, several EE apperances. Texas is always talked about when mentioning some of the top/elite teams. Granted, UT is no Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, or Indiana as far as prestige goes.

g$$
10-02-2006, 02:46 PM
I agree, you misunderstood me. Recently under Barnes (little bit under Penders), Texas has been a player on the national scene. Credit TJ Ford for changing the perception of Texas basketball. But before that you really have to go back to the Slater Martin days, give or take a year or two thrown in (Mike Wacker team, etc.). Basketball was a diversion between football & baseball. Not now.

Nowhere near the tradition of UT football. That was the point.

KTJ
10-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I agree, you misunderstood me. Recently under Barnes (little bit under Penders), Texas has been a player on the national scene. Credit TJ Ford for changing the perception of Texas basketball. But before that you really have to go back to the Slater Martin days, give or take a year or two thrown in (Mike Wacker team, etc.). Basketball was a diversion between football & baseball. Not now.

Nowhere near the tradition of UT football. That was the point.

Gotcha. My bad.

And agreed.

coach
10-02-2006, 04:46 PM
i was at the game and both teams looked weak. at times the aggies lookked better and other times tech looke better. tech dominated up front and the aggies dfense was piss poor. event though harrel through for 392 yards he is no kingsburry or symmons. mcgee was pathetic and the ags play calling was even worse. im about tired of fran... he needs to get out of aggieland hell for all i care bring back r.c ateast he could beat texas and tech every other year.

WestTXLonghorn
10-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
It all stems from WestTXBonehead getting in and taking shots whenever possible. Its people like him that make me hate your school KTJ. Sorry people like him ruin it for the rest of your fanbase.

Yeah, it sucks having someone come in with facts to show why the team you fanatically love stinks and why the team you fanatically hate is awesome.

Get over yourself. No one cares whether you do or don't like the Longhorns, especially Longhorns themselves. I like how it's ok to rip on Vince (regardless of the fact that he's arguably the greatest college football player ever and he got picked #3 in the draft and is already starting in the NFL), the Horns, or Austin. . .but when it's YOUR team on the chopping block you get all defensive. :bigcry:

Also. . .the Astros have already choked at the end of their schedule, you can change your avatar now bandwagon boy.

g$$: You didn't say one thing in your last post to refute ANYTHING I said. It was kind of incoherent and lost. . .usually you at least stay somewhat on point. So, do you have facts to show that Mack doesn't have a lockdown on the top talent in the state or facts to show that Chizik will be taking the ATM job IF and when it opens up? Or are you saying I'm correct on all points as usual?;)

Bulldog_12
10-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Yeah, it sucks having someone come in with facts to show why the team you fanatically love stinks and why the team you fanatically hate is awesome.

Get over yourself. No one cares whether you do or don't like the Longhorns, especially Longhorns themselves. I like how it's ok to rip on Vince (regardless of the fact that he's arguably the greatest college football player ever and he got picked #3 in the draft and is already starting in the NFL), the Horns, or Austin. . .but when it's YOUR team on the chopping block you get all defensive. :bigcry:

Also. . .the Astros have already choked at the end of their schedule, you can change your avatar now bandwagon boy.

g$$: You didn't say one thing in your last post to refute ANYTHING I said. It was kind of incoherent and lost. . .usually you at least stay somewhat on point. So, do you have facts to show that Mack doesn't have a lockdown on the top talent in the state or facts to show that Chizik will be taking the ATM job IF and when it opens up? Or are you saying I'm correct on all points as usual?;)

Puhleeze. I have dealt with some people that have their head shoved up their rears, but you take the cake. I never complain and make excuses for my team. I know they are down, but I will defend them to the death when idiots like you bring "facts" to the table. You always have insults to hurl at other teams. I am not talking about just defending the Ags, you dog Tech, A&M, Baylor, anybody who makes another post that doesnt involve UT athletics. You make threads specifically set up to dog these teams, thats why everyone on this board pretty much hates you.

WestTXLonghorn
10-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
Puhleeze. I have dealt with some people that have their head shoved up their rears, but you take the cake. I never complain and make excuses for my team. I know they are down, but I will defend them to the death when idiots like you bring "facts" to the table. You always have insults to hurl at other teams. I am not talking about just defending the Ags, you dog Tech, A&M, Baylor, anybody who makes another post that doesnt involve UT athletics. You make threads specifically set up to dog these teams, thats why everyone on this board pretty much hates you.

I'm glad you now speak for everyone here. Please, go back and pull up my threads where I specifically was trying to put down Baylor, Tech, or any other football team except ATM and OU and Notre Shame. In fact, I don't think I've EVER "made a thread" to specifically put down any team.

Could it possibly just be you and your biased opinions with your total lack of football knowledge other than Gig 'em? Nah. . .surely not that.:rolleyes:

DaRaiderz
10-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Houston, has a new competitor on the block. They will take players from A&M simply on the fact that UH's student body is going to look a little more appealing to a young, inner city Houston man that College Station. Argue all you want, but its a fact.

That part of my post was obviously misunderstood. I wasn't trying to say UH will outrecruit A&M as a whole. Just the appeal of playing in the Big 12 as opposed to C-USA won't allow that to happen. I was trying to say that UH is going to take a few players from A&M that they will want and would get 5 years ago. You are going to see a FEW more good kids staying in Houston, not a majority.

As for the A&M coach discussions, you are all leaving out the name that is going to be #1 on their list....Butch Davis. He would be the best guy A&M could get if they flash enough cash.

g$$
10-03-2006, 11:21 AM
West TX:

Please don't use the words "knowledge" or "facts" in anything you post. Words like "not objective, homer, orange Kool-Aid, blinders, idiot, Horn apologist, idiot, sunshine pumper" all apply to you. Did I mention idiot? The English language thanks you for complying.

Yes, I did refute everything you said. There is plenty of talent to go around in our state & elsewhere. In the old days ('60s & early '70s), schools could sign more than 25 kids. DKR used to sign the best 10 QBs in the state & convert some of them to DBs, & it also kept them from other schools. Had well over 100 kids on scholarship. But hey, you don't know squat about history or what happened more than 30 minutes ago anyway. No one said Mack does not get quality recruits. He can only sign 25 each year now. Do the math genius. It's a rule that's been in place for many years.

Chizik will be a HC soon. Whether it's at A&M or elsewhere, that day is coming. Oh wait, his "respect" for Mack will prevent him from moving on to greener pastures & bettering himself right? It has stopped others from leaving too right? The list is long on coaches who have been at both places. Do you need a list? It's called a vertical move. He will leave, then Texas will hire a quality replacement. It's a business fella.

I thought you took your ball & went home? Told your mommy the other kids weren't playing nice? That is who you remind me of: the kid who was the last one picked to play ANY sport so he runs his mouth to make himself feel better & always downgrades others. What you need is a good ol' backyard "talking to (pc)" & then maybe you would see the light. Hide behind that computer nerd boy. It's all you've got.

Having information based, fact driven conversation is the purpose of this board. Spewing nonsense like an out-of-control geyser is what you do. Do us a favor: lock yourself in your room & hide. Then maybe, just maybe, we won't have to hear you anymore.

BTW, the Astros did not choke. They were a mediocre team for the balance of the season. They started 19-9 & finished 10-2; in between they went 53-69. Now the Cards, they almost pulled off the biggest choke since the '64 Phillies. Learn baseball too. Still have been a perennial playoff team & the only Texas team to make the World Series ever.

**Not directed at all Horns - just West TX. I have many Horns as friends & in my family. Good people who think rationally. I have just had my fill of that guy.

g$$
10-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Raider: Good points. I don't want Butch Davis. Yes, he has name appeal, but I think he ends up at Arkansas anyway. I want a young, vibrant HC who can recruit & re-energize the program.

Gene Chizik, Bo Pellini, or even Bob Davie (not as young I know) would be my top 3 right now. Davie is eager to avenge the debacle at Notre Dame & he had great success as the DC at A&M. Knows the state & what it takes to win at A&M. He may be a reach, but it's a start for now. Hey, any of those 3 will do right now! Fraudchione must go...

mistanice
10-03-2006, 11:55 AM
how about larry coker? lol

g$$
10-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Coker? No, but I would not mind his DC Randy Shannon on the new staff!! Don't see that happening though.

WestTXLonghorn
10-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Yeah. . .I never bring any facts to the table and you NEVER insult anyone g$$. I told you to chill with the personal attacks. Now we get to see if the moderators want to do their job.

g$$
10-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Stop this holier than thou stuff please...
Re-read your own posts on this thread & others. All you do is lurk & wait for someone or something that you can downgrade or belittle. Yes, I am an AGGIE, but I am also objective. I challenge you to find something I have said otherwise. You are NOT in any way, shape, or form. I'm not the only one to notice it, time & time again.

I consider you a very sad human being. Probably very insecure w/ low self-esteem. Hopefully you will grow up. Then we all can have good conversation, whether we agree or disagree, & move on like rational adults.

Ranger Mom
10-03-2006, 02:13 PM
As usual, the College thread is getting out of hand.

You two need to go stand in the corner....I am putting you both in time-out!!:D :D

I have received complaints about BOTH of you on this thread, so I am just giving you a friendly "slap on the hand" right now.

I will monitor and close the thread if need be.

WestTXLonghorn
10-03-2006, 03:06 PM
I guess you have to be objective being an Aggie fan. . .after being disappointed time and time again.....

Hope springs eternal tho. Next time you see a shooting star make a wish and maybe Chizik will jump ship to coach AT&M. ;)

How old are you again, g$$?

g$$
10-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Ranger Mom: point made above. Again & again.

I am old enough to know when my point has been made in droves. The people who frequent this board know how you act on a daily basis. It's easy to be a tough guy behind a computer screen. And cowardly. Please stop following me around.

Adidas410s
10-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
As usual, the College thread is getting out of hand.

You two need to go stand in the corner....I am putting you both in time-out!!:D :D

I have received complaints about BOTH of you on this thread, so I am just giving you a friendly "slap on the hand" right now.

I will monitor and close the thread if need be.

Thank you mom!!! :D:D:D

I love how some posters like to point out "personal attacks" towards them...and then turn around and make an attack at another poster in the next sentence. Shocking indeed! :eek:

g$$
10-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Kinda ironic huh Adidas? Guy's a piece of work, no doubt.

Ranger Mom
10-03-2006, 03:53 PM
WestTXLonghorn...you are a piece of work!

If you don't want to "practice what you preach"...as far as your PMs to me, then don't bother writing them to me!!

I sent a "warning" on here, and one to the each of you in your PMs.

Both were acknowledge by g$$ and none by you and you are the one continually "egging" it on!!

Leave it alone!!