PDA

View Full Version : Robstown High School has great tradition.

Phil C
09-30-2006, 07:39 PM
I know some folks are upset that we (Sinton) lost to Robstown but this school has had some great tradition perhaps more than most know. Recently they had come on hard times but remember in 1954 that Robstown, Falfurrias and Freer were in the same district and tied for first. Since the teams had split with each other and only one team per district advanced that year they had to do a coin flip (they didn't have points differential option). Freer won the flip and represented what many considered a weak district. Freer surprised everyone and in the quarterfinals played heavily favored Neederland. Freer "won" the game 28 to 28. Back then if it was a tie there was no overtime and the winner (the one who advanced) was firs decided by penatrations inside the other team's 20 yard line and Freer won 5 to 4. This created a sensation at the time. Freer played a good game in the semis but lost and were thus eliminated but it did prove we had a strong district indeed with Robstown being a part of it.

kepdawg
09-30-2006, 07:40 PM
I've never heard of them!

SintonFan_inAustin
09-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg

They have a Hall of Famer that has came out of Robstown.

Gene Upshaw former Oakland Raider and is President of the NFLPA

big daddy russ
09-30-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
If you keep up with HS baseball, you have. If not, I understand completely. They had a 40-someodd game winless streak going a few years back (in football).

Now in baseball, I think they have three state titles, five appearances in the finals, and seven in the tourney in the last 20 years or so. Can someone help me out with the exact numbers?

kepdawg
09-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
If you keep up with HS baseball, you have. If not, I understand completely. They had a 40-someodd game winless streak going a few years back.

They have baseball in high school? In Texas? :thinking:

SintonFan_inAustin
09-30-2006, 08:04 PM
:D k its where Texas Hold 'em first started being played:cheerl:

SintonFan_inAustin
09-30-2006, 08:11 PM
http://www.robstownisd.org/new_pa2.jpg

KingRob
10-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I know some folks are upset that we (Sinton) lost to Robstown but this school has had some great tradition perhaps more than most know. Recently they had come on hard times but remember in 1954 that Robstown, Falfurrias and Freer were in the same district and tied for first. Since the teams had split with each other and only one team per district advanced that year they had to do a coin flip (they didn't have points differential option). Freer won the flip and represented what many considered a weak district. Freer surprised everyone and in the quarterfinals played heavily favored Neederland. Freer "won" the game 28 to 28. Back then if it was a tie there was no overtime and the winner (the one who advanced) was firs decided by penatrations inside the other team's 20 yard line and Freer won 5 to 4. This created a sensation at the time. Freer played a good game in the semis but lost and were thus eliminated but it did prove we had a strong district indeed with Robstown being a part of it.

Sounds like you are not taking this well. Are you okay?:(

KingRob
10-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
http://www.robstownisd.org/new_pa2.jpg

Is this their Senior players? Number 61 is a huge player! Good to see any team down on their luck win some games. I'm sure the town will notice. Didn't they have a troublesome coach a few years back. Some guy who had some violations are kin to that?

sinton66
10-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by KingRob
Sounds like you are not taking this well. Are you okay?:(

He's fine with it, he just doesn't want our fan base turning on the team because of this loss.

NateDawg39
10-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Well...at least they look nice in there red jerseys if they have a bad season from time to time!:)

catman
10-01-2006, 06:52 PM
I work with a lady who went there in the 1960s. She brings me the newspaper from there sometimes. These are some very loyal fans. Their mascot is the Cottonpickers and they play their football at Cottonpicker Field. That is why the young men in the picture are standing in cotton.

KingRob
10-01-2006, 07:15 PM
The first time I brought my German wife to the states we drove down on the way to Corpus. We stopped for pictures of the acres and acres of cotton, and my wife could'nt believe they still grew cotton!! LOL

Always remember them in baseball, pretty good record I do believe.