PDA

View Full Version : Rockdale QB Controversy

Old Tiger
09-30-2006, 03:25 PM
Last night with 6 minutes remaining in the game Freshmen QB Joseph Sanders came in and threw two touchdowns(both perfect throws) and had one of 65 yards to Dennis Brooks. He finished with over 100 yards passing to. I don't have an exact number because I cannot find it in any paper.. What does anyone think of the situation from Rockdale? He showed leadership in the huddle also. I think if the season is going down the drain they should give him more quality time to develop in for the next three years. I'm not saying he should start but he should recieve more reps.

Mustangpride09
09-30-2006, 03:31 PM
I think it would be a bad idea to start him, even if he is better. I dont see the upperclassmen taking favor to it and it could very well split the team.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-30-2006, 07:09 PM
I disagree with Tiger WR's assessment of the situation. The starting QB was 10-15 for 185 yards and two TDs, and that was against China Spring's starting defense. McCann also had around 50 yards running the ball on the ground, and threw a block on a China Spring defender that he was remembering this morning. Those two things are things that Sanders cannot do, he doesn't have the size or the mental toughness to do that. You can't compare the two QBs whenever one is going against one team's second string and has time to sit back and dissect the field. My vote for the starting QB goes to McCann, he hung tough last night when he had limited protection and completed 2/3 of his passes, the team rallies around him, and everyone looks up to him. I know that the defense busted their ass just to have McCann back in there on the few remaining drives they had, not the back-ups. I'm not trying to bring Sanders down, he has a bright future ahead of him, but he obviously lacks the toughness, size, or composure to play at the varsity level.

Old Tiger
09-30-2006, 07:11 PM
I never said Joseph should start. I said i think he deserves more quality reps.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR

Yeah, I agree with that, but I was thinking that shouldn't take place until next season.

Old Tiger
09-30-2006, 07:22 PM
If this season takes a turn for the worse then he should get a lot of more reps to prepare him for the next three years.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-30-2006, 07:31 PM
If this season takes a turn for the worse then he should get a lot of more reps to prepare him for the next three years.

McCann and the rest of the guys didn't work all summer long for "next year." They worked and are still working for the here and now. How would you feel if an underclassman had taken your spot last season when we were already eliminated from the playoffs? Keep McCann in, his team believes in him and so do I.

tiger_94
10-01-2006, 12:46 AM

I think those quality reps should come on Thursday night leading his team to a third undefeated season.

sweetwater07
10-01-2006, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by tiger_94
I think those quality reps should come on Thursday night leading his team to a third undefeated season.

i don't see anything wrong with letting the back up take the snaps in a big lead. i wish our coach would let ours take more...not that he needs it..but he is just as good...

tiger_94
10-01-2006, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
i don't see anything wrong with letting the back up take the snaps in a big lead. i wish our coach would let ours take more...not that he needs it..but he is just as good...

Thats not quite the situation that Rockdale is in this year

sweetwater07
10-01-2006, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by tiger_94
Thats not quite the situation that Rockdale is in this year

oh no big leads in Rockdale this season huh.???...either way...i believe in starting the better player..doesn't matter about seniority...its about getting the W

tiger_94
10-01-2006, 01:17 AM
your right, and the better player right now is a senior

aggie09
10-18-2006, 04:05 PM
how can you make that statement?

eagles_victory
10-18-2006, 04:10 PM
I say stay with the senior but get the freshman some experience its going to be his show for the next 3 years. Maybe work him in every 3rd or 4th series. Im with Casey if things are taking a turn for the worst you have to build for the future without disrespecting the current seniors but isnt rockdale only 0-1 in district its a little early to call the season over.

87 TIGER
10-18-2006, 04:28 PM
season is far from over. Rockdale has played alot of good teams this year it's time now for that high level of play to pay off a little.Two wins out of the last 3 games and were in the playoffs. I have a nephew and a cousin on that freshman team, so I know all about joe joe and believe he is the QB of the future. But senior QB is doing a good job & there is no controversy here.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by aggie09
how can you make that statement?

He isn't the only one who is making that statement, I am too. Sanders needs to be on the freshman team. He has shown a lot of potential, but lacks both the size, strength, and the mental toughness to take it up the hole on the bigger guys. He will be a great quarterback, someday, but right now, after watching McCann air it out against Liberty Hill Friday night, I would say there is no comparison between the two quarterbacks. I'm not trying to talk down on the kid, but there are still 3 games left for the Tigers, and winning two of them will give them a playoff berth, and I see no person who is as qualified to lead the Tigers at the QB position as McCann. I will commend Sanders on being unselfish and taking one to be a backup, that has shown a lot of character on his part.

Old Tiger
10-18-2006, 04:51 PM
Wow this resurected from the dead.

tiger_94
10-18-2006, 05:09 PM
Is Joe playing with the varsity again this week?

Gobbla2001
10-18-2006, 05:22 PM
I can see your point about getting the kid some snaps on the freshmen squad, but if he's heads and shoulders above the rest of the kids he's playing against what good would it do him?

Plus you want to have the best possible QB backing up your QB...

Say Rockdale's in the hunt for that playoff spot and in a crucial game the QB gets injured early on in the game and cannot play the rest of that game... do you want the best QB in there or just the one who is older? If this freshman played the night before he's not even supposed to be suited up much less playing, so basically the coach is gunna have to say "Damn, wish I would have had that fish on this team" the whole time...

Also, the kid should for sure get a ton of reps if Rockdale's season is lost with a couple of games left to play... I say you still give your senior out of respect and appreciation, but in all Honesty I'd sit the both of 'em down and talk to 'em about it... "Look, it's your team the next three years, we have to get you reps"... and tell the other "Hey, we need to work for our future but I still want you starting for me, I just gotta let this young guy get some varsity experience"...

both sides have good points...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I can see your point about getting the kid some snaps on the freshmen squad, but if he's heads and shoulders above the rest of the kids he's playing against what good would it do him?

Plus you want to have the best possible QB backing up your QB...

Say Rockdale's in the hunt for that playoff spot and in a crucial game the QB gets injured early on in the game and cannot play the rest of that game... do you want the best QB in there or just the one who is older? If this freshman played the night before he's not even supposed to be suited up much less playing, so basically the coach is gunna have to say "Damn, wish I would have had that fish on this team" the whole time...

Also, the kid should for sure get a ton of reps if Rockdale's season is lost with a couple of games left to play... I say you still give your senior out of respect and appreciation, but in all Honesty I'd sit the both of 'em down and talk to 'em about it... "Look, it's your team the next three years, we have to get you reps"... and tell the other "Hey, we need to work for our future but I still want you starting for me, I just gotta let this young guy get some varsity experience"...

both sides have good points...

You're right, but the season is not lost, and even if it comes down to that point, it is the last games that those seniors will get to play. I know for a fact that McCann has been going up and working out every day during the summer and every day after school preparing for this, his last season. What would it show him if the coach were to bench him in thanks for all of his hard work? When has winning next season became more important than being appreciative for all of the hard work that an athlete has put in on the eve of the final football game they will ever play? I do agree with the fact that Sanders is the second best quarterback that we have right now, but I do also think that there is a very good JV quarterback who has been on crutches that has a legitimate chance at being Rockdale's starting QB for the next two seasons. I say let the young players get their varsity experience whenever they are the truly the best player for the position, don't sacrifice the hard work of seniors at the end of the season for next year's group. That's just my opinion on the subject.

eagles_victory
10-18-2006, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
You're right, but the season is not lost, and even if it comes down to that point, it is the last games that those seniors will get to play. I know for a fact that McCann has been going up and working out every day during the summer and every day after school preparing for this, his last season. What would it show him if the coach were to bench him in thanks for all of his hard work? When has winning next season became more important than being appreciative for all of the hard work that an athlete has put in on the eve of the final football game they will ever play? I do agree with the fact that Sanders is the second best quarterback that we have right now, but I do also think that there is a very good JV quarterback who has been on crutches that has a legitimate chance at being Rockdale's starting QB for the next two seasons. I say let the young players get their varsity experience whenever they are the truly the best player for the position, don't sacrifice the hard work of seniors at the end of the season for next year's group. That's just my opinion on the subject. Drake cant hold Sanders jock. Sanders will start next year for sure

Old Tiger
10-18-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Drake cant hold Sanders jock. Sanders will start next year for sure lol....even if he did hold sanders jock it was because a coach told him to hold it while he emptied out the rest of the dryer.