PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Question (fun too)

CalallenWildcat
09-30-2006, 09:19 AM
My school, Calallen, has one of the top football programs in the state. Currently we are the #4 ranked team in 4A (and expected to move up because #1 Copperas Cove lost last night). However, we are also one of the smallest 4A schools in the state, with an enrollment just over 1100.

In our game last night, we messed around for three quarters, before finally coming alive and scoring 28 in the fourth to win 49-24 over rival Gregory-Portland.

My question is, if Calallen were to play in 3A, how successful would they be and why?

carter08
09-30-2006, 09:24 AM
NO. This place cannot turn into GP/ Cal

pirate44
09-30-2006, 09:31 AM
cal would definately be a favorite every year, same as they are in 4a. the tradition, coaching, steroids, etc, make the cats a fearsome team to face.

pirate44
09-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
cal would definately be a favorite every year, same as they are in 4a. the tradition, coaching, steroids, etc, make the cats a fearsome team to face.

:D jk!!

actually, they be a perenial favorite.

congrats on the win last night :clap:

kepdawg
09-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Your subject title is misleading! This is not fun! :mad:

pirate44
09-30-2006, 09:39 AM
id love to have Cal in our district.

LH Panther Mom
09-30-2006, 09:44 AM
Cal might roll through the "weak" Region IV, but would go down to the "we beat each other up" Region III rep. ;)

pirate4state
09-30-2006, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Cal might roll through the "weak" Region IV, but would go down to the "we beat each other up" Region III rep. ;) That's what they do now! ;)

sinton66
09-30-2006, 09:48 AM
Well, in case any of you "others" are interested, take a look at Danaher's record before you go too far out on a limb. He's the #3 winningest coach in the state (all classes). Right behind G.A. Moore and Gordon Wood.

piratebg
09-30-2006, 09:48 AM
They would own Reg IV and definitely be a state contender and not just in football either.

pirate44
09-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
They would own Reg IV and definitely be a state contender and not just in football either.
owning and borrowing from cuero every once in a while are 2 different things ;)

kepdawg
09-30-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Well, in case any of you "others" are interested, take a look at Danaher's record before you go too far out on a limb. He's the #3 winningest coach in the state (all classes). Right behind G.A. Moore and Gordon Wood.

We don't care! Take it to the Ca/GP board! :D

GreenMachine
09-30-2006, 10:21 AM
Would definitely be the team to beat, but the Gobblers would be right there with them. ;)

SintonFan_inAustin
09-30-2006, 10:35 AM
if they were in 3a they wouldnt have the depth and mayb some of those good players in every positon with a smaller enrollment. hmm but Cuero seems to have depth and good players in all postions:) . i think we hang with the cats better than GP :D :D :D :D

CalallenWildcat
09-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
if they were in 3a they wouldnt have the depth and mayb some of those good players in every positon with a smaller enrollment. hmm but Cuero seems to have depth and good players in all postions:) . i think we hang with the cats better than GP :D :D :D :D

Your colors are better than GP's :D

Obviously there are a lot of great 3A programs in other parts of the state. Who do you see on the same level with Calallen?

WOS87
09-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
My school, Calallen, has one of the top football programs in the state. we are also one of the smallest 4A schools in the state, with an enrollment just over 1100.

My question is, if Calallen were to play in 3A, how successful would they be and why?

It probably wouldn't be too different... WOS had an enrollment of 1010 and Calallen 1507 when we beat you guys in the 2000 4A Semis.... You would still have to get through Region III to make it past the semis... which would probably prove as difficult as it has for Cal the past 20 years.

I dread even thinking of it but La Marque is smaller than Calallen (1120 compared to 1243 according to 2006 enrollment numbers) and I can realistically see them dropping to 3A (god help us all) within the next 4-6 years so there would be a lot of familiar faces on the block when you arrived... :D

You're right, this was fun.... ;)

Old Tiger
09-30-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
My school, Calallen, has one of the top football programs in the state. Currently we are the #4 ranked team in 4A (and expected to move up because #1 Copperas Cove lost last night). However, we are also one of the smallest 4A schools in the state, with an enrollment just over 1100.

In our game last night, we messed around for three quarters, before finally coming alive and scoring 28 in the fourth to win 49-24 over rival Gregory-Portland.

My question is, if Calallen were to play in 3A, how successful would they be and why? WO-S is an example of expecting to much in the drop.

WOS87
09-30-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
WO-S is an example of expecting to much in the drop.

Maybe that applies to some of the fans but definitely not me. If anything, it seemed more like everybody else expected more of WO-S in the drop than they could deliver. It wasn't WO-S fans and players who voted them #1 in the AP Poll in 2004.

But in general, I think there is a huge misconception that when you drop from 4A to 3A there's a huge drop in quality and that is just not true. I believe the top 3A programs could easily compete with the best of 4A. I know WO-S could have easily been the local 4A district champ had we played 4A last year (given that we beat the actual champ soundly). We have only played 4A nondistrict opponents since dropping to 3A (except for Jasper) and have gone 8-1 against all 4A opponents (6 of which made the playoffs) since the drop down.