PDA

View Full Version : South Texas Town in Need of LOTS of Prayers...

District303aPastPlayer
09-29-2006, 03:16 AM
Alice mourns death of AHS's Brandt
By Ofelia Garcia Hunter and Christopher Maher

Hundreds of Alice High School students were mourning the death of a classmate Thursday as they were consoling each other with hugs and tears in the school's Little Theatre.

School officials said the tragic news was felt by all.

"Basically we received word of a student passing away at lunch, he was at home when he passed away, we have no other details," AHS principal Berta Longoria said. "We had a crisis team on campus of counselors from the district to help students cope. We are saddened by this, he was active in many organizations. We are a small community and what happens to one affects all of us. Our sympathy, from the staff and students, go out to his family."

All activities at Alice High School were cancelled Thursday afternoon, following the death of one of the school's starting football players.

Alice Chief of Police Danny Bueno confirmed Thursday Chance Brandt, 17, was found dead in his home on Jefferson Street of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Bueno said the initial investigation indicated Brandt attended school Thursday morning, but his mother was called to pick him up shortly before noon. At 12:02 p.m., the Alice Police Department received a 911 call reporting a gunshot from the Jefferson Street residence.

No information has been confirmed concerning the reason Brandt left school early.

Brandt, a senior, was a starting linebacker with the Alice Coyotes football team and was a returning All-District player.

Alice Independent School District public information officer Ruth Escamilla said at 3:30 p.m. Thursday that Friday's varsity football game between Alice and Rockport-Fulton in Rockport and other weekend extracurricular activities would proceed as scheduled.

After Friday's game, the Coyotes have a bye week before beginning District 31-3A play against Calallen at home on Friday, Oct. 13.

http://www.aliceechonews.com/content/articles/2006/09/28/local_news/news01.jpg

Link (http://www.aliceechonews.com/articles/2006/09/28/local_news/news01.txt)

Video Tribute (sad video) (http://www.onetruemedia.com/otm_site/view_shared?p=13f6446961b7cc28585f0b&skin_id=0)

piratebg
09-29-2006, 08:03 AM
Very, very sad news indeed. My thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and family. The video montage was very moving.

AggieJohn
09-29-2006, 08:07 AM
yea, as amateur as it was, it still hurts to think that a life was cut short....

Gobbler Fan
09-29-2006, 08:18 AM
I know it's said over and over......No parent's should have to bury their own children .:(

My prayer's to his Family :(

justlikesports
09-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Thoughts and prayers for everyone involved.

STANG RED
09-29-2006, 10:41 AM
Makes you wonder what in the world this kid was going through, to make him think this was his only way out. Very sad indeed!
Thoughts and prayers go out to this young mans family and community.
I'm very surprised to see that they are still planning on playing their game tonight. His teammates may really need this time to morn. We had a similar situation happen in Sweetwater back in the mid 80s. Many of our football players were actually pall bearers at the funeral on the friday morning of the game, and then went out and tried to play that night. It was very apparent that most of them didnt really want to be there, and were morning the loss of their good friend while trying to play a football game.

District303aPastPlayer
09-29-2006, 01:33 PM
ttt for those who havent seen...

SWMustang
09-29-2006, 02:41 PM
Reminds me of that kid who wanted to hurt himself or someone else over a breakup with a girl.

GreenMachine
09-29-2006, 03:01 PM
Prayers go out. Truly a tragedy.