PDA

View Full Version : Auburn Struggles

WestTXLonghorn
09-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Man. . .Auburn looked lost on defense tonight against the Gamecocks. Spurrier and co just gave the #2 team all they could handle. . .and the Tigers have MUCH tougher opponents coming up on the schedule.

Should be really interesting to see how the SEC shakes out.

big daddy russ
09-29-2006, 11:15 AM
They didn't look lost on defense, they just couldn't figure out a way to contain Syvelle. Quentin was blowing by his blocker every single stinkin' down, but Newton would just take a step back, run around Quentin, and pick up another first down.

Sometime early in the fourth quarter, the announcers were saying that Newton had run for four first downs. USC only had nine the whole game.

They just couldn't contain Newton. He exposed the soft underbelly of the Auburn defense-- overpursuit. That Tiger defense is so fast, and those rushers got to Newton pretty quick, but he'd just run to the sideline and pick up an easy ten.

BTW, Quentin Groves runs a legit 4.5, so to see Newton smoke him that many times was crazy.

KTJ
09-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by WestTXLonghorn
Man. . .Auburn looked lost on defense

If by Auburn, you mean Souf Carolina, then yes, yes you are correct.

I expected this game to be close, since Auburn was playing on the road. I don't think this hurts them at all, seeing as how the media just loooooooves the SEC this year.

big daddy russ
09-29-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by KTJ

I expected this game to be close, since Auburn was playing on the road. I don't think this hurts them at all, seeing as how the media just loooooooves the SEC this year.
I've got a friend who's been talking smack to me all week (she went to USC), so this has been a fun little week. Still, I hope Spurrier pulls his boys together so this win will look better on our resume. If not, we may get leapfrogged all over again. :(

eagles_victory
09-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
They didn't look lost on defense, they just couldn't figure out a way to contain Syvelle. Quentin was blowing by his blocker every single stinkin' down, but Newton would just take a step back, run around Quentin, and pick up another first down.

Sometime early in the fourth quarter, the announcers were saying that Newton had run for four first downs. USC only had nine the whole game.

They just couldn't contain Newton. He exposed the soft underbelly of the Auburn defense-- overpursuit. That Tiger defense is so fast, and those rushers got to Newton pretty quick, but he'd just run to the sideline and pick up an easy ten.

BTW, Quentin Groves runs a legit 4.5, so to see Newton smoke him that many times was crazy. if that kid doesnt drop the touchdown pass theres no telling what happened. Newton a converted wide reciever rushed for 6 first downs i think they said. But survive and move on thats what Auburn did

WestTXLonghorn
09-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

Umm. . .when I was watching the game I was seeing the 'Cocks defense play very well. Their huge problem was not stopping the Tigers on 3rd down. They'd stuff Kenny I., stuff Kenny I., and then give up a long pass or something.

The Tigers had no clue what was going on or any idea on how to stop Syvelle Newton. . .a poor man's Vince Young. Correction: A VERY POOR man's Vince Young. The Gamecocks were throwing pass after pass after pass and the few times the Tigers got pressure on Syvelle he just ran for the 1st.

If not for two things I think the Gamecocks win this one easily. 1st was the INT by the Tiger LB in the back of the endzone. That hurts. . .driving all the way down the field to get 0 points. Second, the pooch kick which let Auburn get the ball back AGAIN and not let the Gamecocks have a single offense play in the 3rd quarter.

South Carolina played valiantly on defense the entire night. . .literally the entire night. Irons' two TD runs were about as close as you can come to scoring because the Gamecocks weren't giving up.

Auburn definitely has some issues on offense. Kenny Irons is a beast but their passing game is lacking. I also think they got exposed on defense last night. The Gamecocks aren't near the class of the SEC this year, and I believe teams will watch the film from this game and see how easy it is to exploit the Tigers D w/ dump off passes, the middle deep ball, and scrambling. Hell. . .Spurrier called a play to his tight end and Syvelle got pressure, bolted, and tripped. Spurrier then called the exact same play again and his tight end was wide open AGAIN for a TD. Auburn needs work.....

Tx Challenge
09-29-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I've got a friend who's been talking smack to me all week (she went to USC), so this has been a fun little week. Still, I hope Spurrier pulls his boys together so this win will look better on our resume. If not, we may get leapfrogged all over again. :(

I catch grief all the time being an Auburn guy with a Bama guy living around the corner here in TX!

I am not worried so much about what this game will/wont hurt Auburn in the polls. Fact is all the undefeated teams left, have hurdles. Then the SEC also has that stupid title game. That is the one that scares me. Thank goodness we dont have to play LSU again! But Ga and Fl are always a threat. If we run the West, we prob are going to see one of those again

The SEC is usually strong every year. Other than Vandy and Ky, it is anyones guess from year to year. Should be fun and some nail biters from here on out

wedo
09-29-2006, 12:44 PM
I don't think we will have an undefeated NC this year!! Ohio state still has to play Iowa, Michigan, MSU, that a tough schedule !! Auburn still has to play Florida alabama georgia! USC oregon, Cal, Norte Dame. West Virginia that one Jr college in Maine, and Louiville. Florida still LSU, Aburn, Florida State!! Michigan has Minnesota, MSU, Ohio state.

wedo
09-29-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by WestTXLonghorn
Umm. . .when I was watching the game I was seeing the 'Cocks defense play very well. Their huge problem was not stopping the Tigers on 3rd down. They'd stuff Kenny I., stuff Kenny I., and then give up a long pass or something.

The Tigers had no clue what was going on or any idea on how to stop Syvelle Newton. . .a poor man's Vince Young. Correction: A VERY POOR man's Vince Young. The Gamecocks were throwing pass after pass after pass and the few times the Tigers got pressure on Syvelle he just ran for the 1st.

If not for two things I think the Gamecocks win this one easily. 1st was the INT by the Tiger LB in the back of the endzone. That hurts. . .driving all the way down the field to get 0 points. Second, the pooch kick which let Auburn get the ball back AGAIN and not let the Gamecocks have a single offense play in the 3rd quarter.

South Carolina played valiantly on defense the entire night. . .literally the entire night. Irons' two TD runs were about as close as you can come to scoring because the Gamecocks weren't giving up.

Auburn definitely has some issues on offense. Kenny Irons is a beast but their passing game is lacking. I also think they got exposed on defense last night. The Gamecocks aren't near the class of the SEC this year, and I believe teams will watch the film from this game and see how easy it is to exploit the Tigers D w/ dump off passes, the middle deep ball, and scrambling. Hell. . .Spurrier called a play to his tight end and Syvelle got pressure, bolted, and tripped. Spurrier then called the exact same play again and his tight end was wide open AGAIN for a TD. Auburn needs work.....

A mobile QB will kill that Auburn D !!!

big daddy russ
09-29-2006, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
if that kid doesnt drop the touchdown pass theres no telling what happened. Newton a converted wide reciever rushed for 6 first downs i think they said. But survive and move on thats what Auburn did
If that TE would've caught that TD on the seam route, I would've had to buy new undies. All tied up at one of the nation's toughest places to play, and SC would've had the momentum.

I'm just glad this was our "gimme."

Originally posted by Tx Challenge
I catch grief all the time being an Auburn guy with a Bama guy living around the corner here in TX!

I am not worried so much about what this game will/wont hurt Auburn in the polls. Fact is all the undefeated teams left, have hurdles. Then the SEC also has that stupid title game. That is the one that scares me. Thank goodness we dont have to play LSU again! But Ga and Fl are always a threat. If we run the West, we prob are going to see one of those again

The SEC is usually strong every year. Other than Vandy and Ky, it is anyones guess from year to year. Should be fun and some nail biters from here on out
I completely agree. I don't know who it'll be, but I have that sinking feeling that someone's going to get us. And that SEC title game scares the living daylights out of me. Tennessee's back, Florida's better than I thought they'd be, and if Georgia gets there it'll be because one of their QB's steps up and becomes a stud between now and then. Hell, even USC has an outside chance if their team can come together.

It's always tough beating a good team twice in one season (see Tennessee in the '04 SEC Championship), and if we make it we'll probably wind up playing a team we've already beat.

What scares me most (as evidenced last night) was overpursuit by the linemen and lack of containment by the LB's/DB's. I know, I know--- they didn't have much game tape on Syvelle Newton, so scoutig him was tough... BUT if Newton becomes the QB it looks like he can become, we'll probably have trouble with him again.

On that note, I think that if we lose, it'll be during the regular season. Tuberville teams tend to be postseason gamers, and this team is starting to look a LOT like that '04 squad. Not as strong on D, but every bit as fast. They're also a little better than the '04 squad on offense.

Someone was saying that the Auburn passing game is lacking, but the things Brandon Cox does reminds me a whole lot of Jason Campbell. When I saw him hang back in the pocket on 3rd and 21 in the third quarter, cool as can be, and throw a clutch pass on a rope to Courtney Taylor, I was half expecting to look up and see #17.

They don't pass a lot, but they complete crucial passes in crucial situations. That's just the way Al Borges runs the offense. They stick to high-percentage passes, don't force too much, scare the defense with the run, and take shots primarily when the defense is on their heels.

13-19, 180 yds with a TD... very Jason Campbell-like. High completion ratio, but only 19 pass attempted passes.