PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater to face dangerous Steer team (Sweetwater- Big Spring preview)

Phantom Stang
09-28-2006, 09:56 PM
Sweetwater to face dangerous Steer team
Written by Ben Barkley
On paper, it looks like Sweetwater could run away for its 599th win in school history.
But head coach Kent Jackson and his Mustangs know the game is not played on paper — it is determined on the field.
The 3-1 Mustangs will hit the road for the third straight week as it takes on the Big Spring Steers (0-4) Friday night.
“They are an extremely good team that just has not its stride yet,” Jackson said of Class 4A Big Spring.
Jackson and his staff have been developing a game plan against a Big Spring team which features Texas A&M commitment Ryan Tannehill. The quarterback has a shoulder injury which has prevented him from playing the past few weeks.
Against Wylie last week, Tannehill did play some in the first half as a receiver.
“He is every bit as talented as I have seen,” Jackson said of the senior. “I am glad he is getting healthy.”
The Mustangs are preparing to take on Tannehill no matter where he lines up in the offense.
Big Spring’s offense is similar to that of Iowa Park, which Sweetwater defeated last season in the playoffs.
“That is something we need to see,” Jackson said of the misdirection plays and the ability to spread it out and pass the ball. “This will be another great challenge for our defense.”
Sweetwater’s defense is coming off one of its best performances of the season, limiting Canyon’s high-powered offense to 312 total yards and only 14 points.
Free safety Thomas Holsey has been the workhorse in the secondary against the spread offenses Sweetwater has faced the first four weeks. Holsey has a team-high 39 tackles and four pass break ups.
Middle linebacker Justin Adams has recorded 38 tackles and four hurries during the season while linebacker Jeffery Straley has 29 total tackles and two sacks this season.
In order to keep Big Spring off the field, Sweetwater will look to continue its dominance on the ground. The Mustangs are averaging 323 yards rushing on 49 carries.
Last week, Jackson saw three different players top the 100-yard mark against Canyon — Joseph Banyard, Duone Cunnings and Skye Green.
Banyard has been the top rusher throughout the season with 494 yards on 67 carries with six touchdowns. Cunnings has added 333 yards while Green has 224 yards in three games.
The Mustangs will be facing a different look on defense as Big Spring uses a lot of split fronts.
“We have not seen that front since the Midland Christian and Vernon scrimmages,” Jackson said.
The Steers will also be riding high because it is homecoming week. Jackson knows what to expect as he said the Steer community will be “excited throughout the week.”

Copyright © 2006 Sweetwater Reporter

wildstangs
09-28-2006, 10:12 PM
I thought Sweetwater was currently at 599 wins.

wyliegrad04
09-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Sweetwater should have NO problems with Big Spring. Even if that D1 guy plays, I think the Mustangs will win big ... 35 - 7 ... maybe even more.

Mustangpride09
09-28-2006, 10:56 PM
I'm still shocked that Big Spring picked us as theyre homecoming game.

wildstangs
09-28-2006, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Mustangpride09
I'm still shocked that Big Spring picked us as theyre homecoming game.

I think they were expecting much better results than what they have had so far.

pero chato
09-29-2006, 08:39 AM
This is an easy one--Sweetwater by 63, unless the subs are called off.

Phantom Stang
09-29-2006, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang

Written by Ben Barkley
On paper, it looks like Sweetwater could run away for its 599th win in school history.
Copyright © 2006 Sweetwater Reporter
That right there is a true statement(the winning "on paper" part).

I just hope the Mustangs realize, that a lot of folks in Big Spring see this game as a big rivalry.

Technoredneck
09-29-2006, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
That right there is a true statement(the winning "on paper" part).

I just hope the Mustangs realize, that a lot of folks in Big Spring see this game as a big rivalry.
Leftovers of the old district, Big Spring, Lamesa, San Angelo lLakeview, Snyder & Sweetwater

EricDraven
09-29-2006, 09:41 AM
Big SPring is capable of playing very well, but I imagine Sweetwater will be ready. Maybe not a blow-out, but the Mustangs go home with a victory. Good luck to both teams.

sweetwater07
09-29-2006, 09:50 AM
i just hope we don't underestimate the steers...they are capable of playing well...just haven't had their breaks yet

Stownhorse
09-29-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
i just hope we don't underestimate the steers...they are capable of playing well...just haven't had their breaks yet

You posted the same thing that the 2 or 3 people before did

SWMustang
09-29-2006, 10:45 AM
I just hope we don't underestimate the steers...they are capable of playing well...just haven't had their breaks yet..

pero chato
09-29-2006, 10:45 AM
This will be known as a "stat enhancing" game for any or all of the Mustangs' RBs. Big Spring looked very slow and uninspired against Wylie. They will have had to come a long way to avoid a blow out.

Stownhorse
09-29-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I just hope we don't underestimate the steers...they are capable of playing well...just haven't had their breaks yet..

haha

sweetwater07
09-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
haha

lol guess i didn't pay attention to what everyone else wrote

stangGirl2007
09-29-2006, 01:21 PM
We where told at the Booster Club luncheon that in adidtion to the QB being back, that one of the Defensive Lineman be be suited out this week. He was suspened last week against Wylie. I don't recall his name, but he is big and one of their top overall atheletes.

GetRDoneStangs
09-29-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by stangGirl2007
We where told at the Booster Club luncheon that in adidtion to the QB being back, that one of the Defensive Lineman be be suited out this week. He was suspened last week against Wylie. I don't recall his name, but he is big and one of their top overall atheletes.

Oops!! I didn' realize stangGirl2007 was logged in the previous post!:confused: :confused:

She better be in school and not at Bucks for lunch with the Booster Club!!!!

VolcoM187
09-29-2006, 02:25 PM
In this game I'd like to see skye get the ball a little more, and maybe even play a little secondary just to get him used to it because we may need him back there during play-offs

mustang04
09-29-2006, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
Oops!! I didn' realize stangGirl2007 was logged in the previous post!:confused: :confused:

She better be in school and not at Bucks for lunch with the Booster Club!!!!

haha...GET HER!!!!:D