PDA

View Full Version : Burnet Could Lose About 100 Students

olddawggreen
09-27-2006, 09:12 AM
Burnet CISD May Get Reconfigured

Sep 25, 2006 09:05 PM CDT

A push by taxpayers to get out of their current school district is brewing in the Hill Country.

Swinney says Burnet school could lose from $3 to $5 million if one group gets its way. A grassroots effort wants to take it's money out of these schools and over to Llano for lower taxes.

A group of primarily retirees has gathered about 400 of 1,800 signatures needed for consideration. The areas include Buchanan Dam, Bluffton, Town and Inks Lake Village.

Burnet Consolidated ISD stands to lose about 100 students.

However, the district would lose about 16 percent of its tax base -- a mixture of both lake front and modest homes.

KXAN NBC Austin's Connie Swinney asked: "Taxes. Is it a burden? Is it something you think you should get out of?
Joe Poitevant with the Fair Tax Committee said: "We need to be taxed fairly. We don't think the situation is fair."

Here's a look at the difference in the tax rates for Burnet and Llano. A person who typically pays about $10,000 per year in school taxes in Burnet could save from $3,000 to $4,000 in Llano ISD.

Swinney says both districts have to agree on the plan. If not, the petitioners must wait for a decision from the Texas education commissioner.

Burnet's enrollment last realignment 998. 4A enrollment range 950 -1984.

AggieJohn
09-27-2006, 09:13 AM
SHOW SOME COMPASSION:mad: :mad: :mad:

SWMustang
09-27-2006, 09:23 AM
Just curious, but if someone paid 10,000 in taxes, how much did the house they live in have to cost?

Phil C
09-27-2006, 09:26 AM
One good thing for Burnet is that they could get back to 3A.

44INAROW
09-27-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Just curious, but if someone paid 10,000 in taxes, how much did the house they live in have to cost?

I have no idea up there, but I could tell you in Cuero what it would cost :)

SWMustang
09-27-2006, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I have no idea up there, but I could tell you in Cuero what it would cost :)

my Guesstimate - which ain't worth much is 600,000

olddawggreen
09-27-2006, 09:55 AM
We're not just talking about houses here, we're talking about a lot of lake front property that is located in the Burnet CISD, but is actually located in Llano county. I don't know where this will go, but a large percentage of owners are retired and have lots of time on their hands.

Technoredneck
09-27-2006, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
We're not just talking about houses here, we're talking about a lot of lake front property that is located in the Burnet CISD, but is actually located in Llano county. I don't know where this will go, but a large percentage of owners are retired and have lots of time on their hands.
And these retired land owners have all these school aged children? That makes no sense!

olddawggreen
09-27-2006, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Technoredneck
And these retired land owners have all these school aged children? That makes no sense!

Thats the point, most of the property owners do not have school aged children and don't want to pay the higher taxes to be in the Burnet CISD. I would think the parents with school aged children would be against this. If this goes through, it will cost them more to send their kids to BCISD schools.

SWMustang
09-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by olddawggreen

Are Burnet Schools better than Llano Schools? How did it ever happen that land in Llano County is being taxed by the BCISD?

raider red 2000
09-27-2006, 10:20 AM
i think that it is crap that these old rich people care more about their check book than they do the future.

if i am correct i think that burnet is one of the lowest paying schools as far as coaching goes.

Technoredneck
09-27-2006, 10:20 AM
County lines have nothing to do with school district boundaries.

SWMustang
09-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Technoredneck
County lines have nothing to do with school district boundaries.

yea, I got to thinking about that. You're right.

raider red 2000
09-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Are Burnet Schools better than Llano Schools? How did it ever happen that land in Llano County is being taxed by the BCISD?

i think that school district boundries can cross over county lines.

they are different.

i was too slow :(

Old Dog
10-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Can't sit by and not tell "the rest of the story".

The reason those folks are in the Burnet CISD to start with is because many years ago, Llano wouldn't run their bus routes all the way to Lake Buchanan and Burnet Trustees said we'll get the kids and haul them to Burnet for classes. Many of my old classmates were in that group. Their parents would've had to take them to a 'pick-up" point somewhere between Llano and Lake Buchanan for a partial bus ride.

It doesn't make a hoot to me personally, but the WHOLE story needs to be aired, not just the part that ticks them off!

One of the old County Commissioners made an interesting comment a while back. He said so many people move to the hill country because they like the way it is...........then no sooner than they are established, they want to alter it to be like where they came from.

Technoredneck
10-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Old Dog
Can't sit by and not tell "the rest of the story".

The reason those folks are in the Burnet CISD to start with is because many years ago, Llano wouldn't run their bus routes all the way ......
<snip>
.... but the WHOLE story needs to be aired, not just the part that ticks them off!

One of the old County Commissioners made an interesting comment a while back. He said so many people move to the hill country because they like the way it is...........then no sooner than they are established, they want to alter it to be like where they came from.
Funny how that works, people move somewhere because they like it, then they try to make it just like where they moved from. Before I moved from east Texas, we had a heavily forested property adn were constantly amazed by the number of people who moved from Houston to the "woods" to live in the trees, and the 1st thing they did was cut down every tree they owned. Made no sense to me.

My opinion, if those folks want to live in Llano's school district they need to move!

Pudlugger
10-02-2006, 10:49 AM

This depends on the tax rate which is the point of this article. In the Houston area the rates are over 4% so a $250000 home would be taxed over $10000 annually. Basically this is paying for the house every 25 years like another mortgage. I suspect Burnet's rate is between 3 and 4 percent. Also, assessments can be raised up to 10% per year. The so called property tax relief from Austin was 17 cents per hundred dollars assessment. Fayette Count simply reassessed everyone $10 and wipped out any savings from this legislation. I think it's torches and pitchfork time! LOL:(

PPHSfan
10-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Man I would love to see a Gilmer vs Burnet matchup:D

SWMustang
10-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
This depends on the tax rate which is the point of this article. In the Houston area the rates are over 4% so a $250000 home would be taxed over $10000 annually. Basically this is paying for the house every 25 years like another mortgage. I suspect Burnet's rate is between 3 and 4 percent. Also, assessments can be raised up to 10% per year. The so called property tax relief from Austin was 17 cents per hundred dollars assessment. Fayette Count simply reassessed everyone $10 and wipped out any savings from this legislation. I think it's torches and pitchfork time! LOL:(

My school tax rate in the Klein school district is 1.70 per 100 dollars of value. is their another tax I'm forgetting about? I wanted to see a figure like that in the article, but they only mentioned how much the 10,000 dollar tax payers were going to save. It looked like they had something to hide.

Pudlugger
10-02-2006, 01:08 PM
My school tax rate in the Klein school district is 1.70 per 100 dollars of value. is their another tax I'm forgetting about? I wanted to see a figure like that in the article, but they only mentioned how much the 10,000 dollar tax payers were going to save. It looked like they had something to hide.

You probably have another .5% for roads bridges special tax districts etc. In Fayette the school rate is 1.5 and overall a little over 2%, one of the lowest in the state.

Aesculus gilmus
10-02-2006, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
i think that it is crap that these old rich people care more about their check book than they do the future.

Old people don't have much future. Why should they care? These children aren't related to them anyhow. These are rich geezers. They are P.O.'ed they even HAVE to PAY property taxes at their age.

SWMustang
10-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
Old people don't have much future. Why should they care? These children aren't related to them anyhow. These are rich geezers. They are P.O.'ed they even HAVE to PAY property taxes at their age.

ditch this whole property tax method of funding schools and just institute an income tax. Their gonna get your money one way or another. At leat that way when your income dramatically decreases after retirement your not still on the hook for a tax bill equal to what it was when you were in your prime earning years.

Texas is not a great state to retire in because of property taxes. It's like a mortgage payment that never goes away.