PDA

View Full Version : Mustang Bowl's turf debt paid off

Curly
09-26-2006, 01:51 PM
Bowl's turf debt paid off
Written by Ben Barkley
The final installment of the turf at the Mustang Bowl has been paid off.
Sweetwater attorney Zollie Steakley received the final $125,000 installment from Sweetwater High School alumnus Larry Durham this week. Durham was key to having the turf installed, Steakley said.
According to Steakley, Durham pledged to pay $125,000 up front for the $750,000 project and $125,000 over the next five years (2002-06) to have the turf installed.

At the time, the Sweetwater Booster Club was looking for a way to have the turf installed. That is when First National Bank stepped in and provided a loan to the club.
Knowing Durham would donate $500,000, the bank made the loan, which was paid off this year.
Steakley and bank president J.V. Martin thanked Durham for the contribution to the school and community during a presentation Monday afternoon.
“We are glad Larry gave back to his alma mater,” Martin said.
Since the turf has been laid, Sweetwater has seen the use of the Mustang Bowl increase, hosting several regular season games not only for Sweetwater but area teams.
The past two years, the Bowl was in the spotlight as the TSTC West Texas Sammy Baugh Classic featured four games over three days.
After graduating from SHS, Durham received a full scholarship to Texas Western Univer-sity, now known as the Uni-versity of Texas-El Paso.
He is known for being the first person to score a touchdown in the Sun Bowl. On the first offensive play in a 1963 game, Durham scored on a 54-yard run as the Miners defeated North Texas 34-7.
He is a 1966 mathematics graduate of UTEP and donated $5 million for a sports center now named in his honor.
He led the Miners in rushing in both 1962 and 1963. In 1962, he rushed for 218 yards while in 1963, he rushed for 289 yards. Durham was a four-year letterman for the Miners.

wildstangs
09-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Several posters can now rest much better.

kaorder1999
09-26-2006, 02:20 PM
thats an awesome deal....Sweetwater will benefit greatly from the turf being installed

Adidas410s
09-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Several posters can now rest much better.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sweetwater Red
09-26-2006, 03:04 PM
Oh no! Now Black Magic is down to one topic to bash Sweetwater
on.....

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-26-2006, 03:10 PM
The Mustang Bowl is the best place that I have watched a high school game. Better than SLC (Where I saw Decatur and Gainesville play one year). The entire experience of it being down in a bowl is awesome. (I played in the Gopher Bowl in Grand Prairie and it is similar but I like the Mustang Bowl better).