PDA

View Full Version : so i just got home from Abilene...........

lostaussie
09-25-2006, 07:16 PM
and all i got was a few doves and a little paperwork from a State Trooper in Anson:(

Adidas410s
09-25-2006, 07:18 PM
gotta love those small town cops. You didn't stop in for a good meal somewhere in Abilene? There are more really good "mom and pop" places in Abilene than anywhere else IMO.

carter08
09-25-2006, 07:19 PM
doves are the symbols of peace. why do you shoot them?

Ranger Mom
09-25-2006, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
gotta love those small town cops. You didn't stop in for a good meal somewhere in Abilene? There are more really good "mom and pop" places in Abilene than anywhere else IMO.

Is that "Southern Comfort" or something like that still there??

lostaussie
09-25-2006, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
gotta love those small town cops. You didn't stop in for a good meal somewhere in Abilene? There are more really good "mom and pop" places in Abilene than anywhere else IMO. wasn't a small town cop. it was a trooper. and yes. i ate at "joe allens"(i hope thats right) 2 times.

lostaussie
09-25-2006, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by carter08
doves are the symbols of peace. why do you shoot them? cause its season:doh: and they are good to eat.

carter08
09-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
cause its season:doh: and they are good to eat.

thats no excuse for slaughtering them

Ranger Mom
09-25-2006, 07:27 PM

I've never been a fan of dove, but quail is DELICIOUS!!!

STANG RED
wasn't a small town cop. it was a trooper. and yes. i ate at "joe allens"(i hope thats right) 2 times.

Good choice!
Seems like everytime I go there for steak, I end up ordering the ribs. Them is some goooooooood ribs!

lostaussie
thats no excuse for slaughtering them you don't get out much, do ya?

Cameron Crazy
09-25-2006, 07:28 PM
thats no excuse for slaughtering them Cry me a river!!

Ranger Mom
Originally posted by STANG RED
Good choice!
Seems like everytime I go there for steak, I end up ordering the ribs. Them is some goooooooood ribs!

Im confused...what is Joe Allens?? I thought that was in Sweetwater....or is it some other Allens there??:confused:

carter08
I agree with RM. Go kill quail. They aren't symbols for anything

Ranger Mom
09-25-2006, 07:29 PM
thats no excuse for slaughtering them

Are you a vegaterian by chance??

carter08
09-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Are you a vegaterian by chance??

no, i eat meat. just not doves

lostaussie
09-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Im confused...what is Joe Allens?? I thought that was in Sweetwater....or is it some other Allens there??:confused: maybe there is more than 1. i don't know. hope i got the name right.

STANG RED
09-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Im confused...what is Joe Allens?? I thought that was in Sweetwater....or is it some other Allens there??:confused:

Sweetwater has Mrs. Allens,,,,,,, or Allen's Family Style Meals to the younguns.

lostaussie
09-25-2006, 07:31 PM
no, i eat meat. just not doves well i don't eat cows. so leave me alone:D

Ranger Mom
09-25-2006, 07:32 PM
Sweetwater has Mrs. Allens,,,,,,, or Allen's Family Style Meals to the younguns.

:doh: That's right!! Oh well..I was close!:D

carter08
09-25-2006, 07:33 PM
well i don't eat cows. so leave me alone:D

so you aren't a cannibal. thats good

STANG RED
09-25-2006, 07:37 PM
I eat cows, pigs, birds, deer, snakes, sheep, etc...etc...etc...as long as they dont eat me first.:D

Ranger Mom
09-25-2006, 07:41 PM
I eat cows, pigs, birds, deer, snakes, sheep, etc...etc...etc...as long as they dont eat me first.:D

Amen brother!! I even tried alligator before.....contrary to what I was told...it did NOT taste like chicken!! (but the rabbit did)!!:D

STANG RED
09-25-2006, 07:50 PM
Amen brother!! I even tried alligator before.....contrary to what I was told...it did NOT taste like chicken!! (but the rabbit did)!!:D
MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMM, I love me some rabbit. Been so long since I had any though, I'd completely forgot about it. I also forgot frog legs and turtle. Now thats some gooooood eatn to.

DU_stud04
09-25-2006, 07:51 PM
im happy with just chicken.....if something tastes like it , why not just eat the good stuff?

Ranger Mom
09-25-2006, 07:53 PM
MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMM, I love me some rabbit. Been so long since I had any though, I'd completely forgot about it. I also forgot frog legs and turtle. Now thats some gooooood eatn to.

Frog legs are AWESOME!! Never had turtle!

Everytime I eat froglegs though I always remember that little cartoon I saw way back when of a restuarant sign that has "Tonights Special: FROGLEGS"...and in the next frame you see all these frogs exiting out the back door in wheelchairs!!:D

This isn't the one I was thinking of....but I had seen this one before also. I hope it will post.

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_aug2004/FrogLegSpecial.jpg

Cameron Crazy
09-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Alligator is the best!

injuredinmelee
09-25-2006, 08:15 PM
The troopers in Anson are better than the city cops and sherrif deputies.

44INAROW
09-25-2006, 08:16 PM

Aussie, How do you prepare them? I like either dove stew or BBQ with Jalepano and bacon wrapped around them :)

injuredinmelee
09-25-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Aussie, How do you prepare them? I like either dove stew or BBQ with Jalepano and bacon wrapped around them :)
yeah you have to have jalapeno and bacon or the meaty taste like poooo.

lostaussie
09-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Aussie, How do you prepare them? I like either dove stew or BBQ with Jalepano and bacon wrapped around them :) slice meat off bone and cut into chunks. cut up onion chunks and jalapenos about the same size. using about a 6 inch piece of bacon, thread bacon, dove, onion, jalapeno on a tooth pick. your bacon will basically look like it is "S'ed" on the toothpick creating minature shish-k-bobs. then just cook on grill.

lostaussie
09-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Aussie, How do you prepare them? I like either dove stew or BBQ with Jalepano and bacon wrapped around them :) also like try fry them whole like a quail and cook with mashed potatoes and cream gravy.

Mustangpride09
09-25-2006, 08:41 PM
I agree with RM. Go kill quail. They aren't symbols for anything

Worth a chuckle.

Ranger Mom
09-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
yeah you have to have jalapeno and bacon or the meaty taste like poooo.

Well maybe that's why I don't like Dove....I never ate it with jalapeno and bacon.....i can't say it tasted like pooooo, but it left too much of a gamey taste in my mouth!

mustang04
09-25-2006, 08:45 PM
dove is nasty alone...u HAVE to have other stuff for flavor

wyliegrad04
09-25-2006, 09:53 PM
although Joe Allens is popular, I really don't like it. When it comes to BBQ, I think Harolds Pit BBQ at 1305 Walnut blows Joe Allens away. Hot water cornbread ... nothing like it!!

And when it comes to a steak, I'd rather take the 25 minute drive to the Beehive in Albany or about the same drive out to Perini's in Buffalo Gap. Much better steaks if you ask me ...

I don't think Joe Allens has good sides either! I mean beans, bread, and green beans ... big deal. Hard to find a good salad at Joe Allens or if you want french fries ...

The Abilene Beehive is suppose to be opening sometime in October but from the looks of the building, I don't think it will. Might suprise me though.

Maybe it's that my family is from Albany, but I think the Beehive is one of the best places to eat in Texas. The Driskill in Austin is pretty close second. Texas Monthly has done several features on the Beehive too.

Any other food comments? I'm the guy :)

44INAROW
09-25-2006, 10:16 PM
also like try fry them whole like a quail and cook with mashed potatoes and cream gravy.

that sounds good too :) will keep that in mind......... cream gravy and mashed potatoes.... OMG :)

sweetwater07
09-25-2006, 10:36 PM
wow....so i opened up this thread ready to see what a gilmer resident has to say about my area..and all i see is food recipes...hmm??...LOL...well i was in Gilmer , Gladewater, and Big Sandy like a month ago...take that lost aussie

Ranger Mom
09-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by wyliegrad04
although Joe Allens is popular, I really don't like it. When it comes to BBQ, I think Harolds Pit BBQ at 1305 Walnut blows Joe Allens away. Hot water cornbread ... nothing like it!!

And when it comes to a steak, I'd rather take the 25 minute drive to the Beehive in Albany or about the same drive out to Perini's in Buffalo Gap. Much better steaks if you ask me ...

I don't think Joe Allens has good sides either! I mean beans, bread, and green beans ... big deal. Hard to find a good salad at Joe Allens or if you want french fries ...

The Abilene Beehive is suppose to be opening sometime in October but from the looks of the building, I don't think it will. Might suprise me though.

Maybe it's that my family is from Albany, but I think the Beehive is one of the best places to eat in Texas. The Driskill in Austin is pretty close second. Texas Monthly has done several features on the Beehive too.

Any other food comments? I'm the guy :)

Okay....there was this place I used to eat in Abilene called Southern something or another. It was a buffet...with chicken and dumplings, chicken fry, mashed taters, gravy, meatloaf...all the homecooking items....is it still there?

I remember this place well because I was in labor with my first kid in the hospital and my EX-husband was there eating lunch....I had to "withhold from pushing" til he got back!!:rolleyes:

sweetwater07
09-25-2006, 11:11 PM
Okay....there was this place I used to eat in Abilene called Southern something or another. It was a buffet...with chicken and dumplings, chicken fry, mashed taters, gravy, meatloaf...all the homecooking items....is it still there?

I remember this place well because I was in labor with my first kid in the hospital and my EX-husband was there eating lunch....I had to "withhold from pushing" til he got back!!:rolleyes:

lol...thats sorry!!!

awizzy
09-25-2006, 11:43 PM
next time ur in abilene go to cahoots i think is how u spell its...some of the best chicken fried steak and some good ole catfish...its right around the corner on tedaway head out to shotwell...oh and since were talkin about food if ur ever in brownwood gotta go to underwoods

Tweeder215
09-26-2006, 12:09 AM

Thats Mrs. Allens!!!

LH Panther Mom
09-26-2006, 05:37 AM
I've never been a fan of dove, but quail is DELICIOUS!!!
Wrapped in bacon, with a slice of jalapeno in the middle, and thrown on the grill....they're yummy. And, :doh: ....if I had read the entire thing, I would've seen this 3-4 times. :D

STANG RED
09-26-2006, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Wrapped in bacon, with a slice of jalapeno in the middle, and thrown on the grill....they're yummy. And, :doh: ....if I had read the entire thing, I would've seen this 3-4 times. :D

If you'll soak dove (any wild game meat) in buttermilk for several hours, it'll take a lot of that wild taste out, before cooking. I like to soak vinison steaks, and dove breast overnight in buttermilk, then wash them off good, and soak in icewater for an hour or so before cooking. You still get the flavor, but without the rankness.