PDA

View Full Version : Region I Game of the Week (4): Vernon @ Clyde

LH Panther Mom
09-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Friday night, 7:30 - Vernon Lions at Clyde Bulldogs

All you Vernon & Clyde folks, please fill us in on your 2006 team. :)

vet93
09-25-2006, 12:20 PM
This is a tough one to pick...At first glance you have to go with Vernon...but Clyde is playing some good ball this year and will be playing at home...I haven't quite made up my mind on this one but am leaning toward Vernon in a close one due to their good showing against Decatur.

Stownhorse
09-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by vet93
This is a tough one to pick...At first glance you have to go with Vernon...but Clyde is playing some good ball this year and will be playing at home...I haven't quite made up my mind on this one but am leaning toward Vernon in a close one due to their good showing against Decatur.

Whats Clydes record?

EricDraven
09-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Clyde is 3-1, with the loss coming at the hands of Early. Clyde has played mostly 2A teams, but should be up for the Vernon game. I will give the slight nod to Vernon, but don't surprised to see Clyde take it at home.

pero chato
09-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
Whats Clydes record?

They are 3 - 1. Only loss to then #10 2A Early.

STANG RED
09-25-2006, 01:22 PM
As I've said all season, Clyde is much improved, and I think they could win this game at home. If they can manage it, it'll go a long way in people taking them seriously. But as close as Vernon played with Decatur, I'd have to give the edge to Vernon, but not by much. Clyde should be well primed for this one, and could easily upset the Lions, if they dont bring their A game.
Heck, I may even pick Clyde in the pickem game, if my teammates will go along with it. Go get em Bulldogs!

Phantom Stang
09-25-2006, 01:45 PM
I always make it a point to stop at the Alsup's in Clyde on the way home from Sweetwater. So I'm going with the Bulldogs in this one.:nerd:

Old Tiger
09-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Clyde

injuredinmelee
09-25-2006, 04:02 PM
Vernon BIG. Clyde hasnt beaten anyone good this year and hardly played anyone in their own classification.

vet93
09-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Injured...I think that Vernon will win but not as big as you might think....Vernon has been a little inconsistent this year and they are playing in Clyde. Coach Slaughter is a great motivator and will get the Bulldogs playing at their best. I think that Clyde will give Vernon all that they can handle, but Vernon should prevail in the end.

Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Vernon BIG. Clyde hasnt beaten anyone good this year and hardly played anyone in their own classification.

Johnny Moxen
09-25-2006, 04:44 PM
I have to say Vernon in this one, based on information that the Clyde starting QB may have torn his ACL in last Fridays game. Don't know a lot about the back up, but I wouldn't think that Clyde has much depth. Could be wrong though.

vet93
09-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Wow...I didn't know that...I believe he is a solid two-way starter!

Originally posted by Johnny Moxen
I have to say Vernon in this one, based on information that the Clyde starting QB may have torn his ACL in last Fridays game. Don't know a lot about the back up, but I wouldn't think that Clyde has much depth. Could be wrong though.

sweetwater07
09-25-2006, 06:30 PM
you've got to be joking......Frenship vs. Wylie is this week.....

Ranger Mom
09-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
you've got to be joking......Frenship vs. Wylie is this week.....

I think Vernon vs. Clyde got just a many ( if not more ) votes than this one.

LHPM may also be looking at games down the road as a possible GOTW!

Have you always complained this much and I'm just now noticing??:p

LH Panther Mom
09-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Yes, and yes! :D

Ranger Mom
09-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Yes, and yes! :D

:thinking: hmmm...I need to get with the program!:)

wildstangs
09-25-2006, 07:53 PM
I will be VERY surprised if Clyde manages to stay withing 21 points of Vernon.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
I will be VERY surprised if Clyde manages to stay withing 21 points of Vernon.

I agree. Vernon almost upset Decatur last week. A holding call away. Nevertheless the Lions have lost two games that could have went either way. One game to 4A Mineral Wells in double overtime. Now they were whipped by Midland Christian flat out.

Vernon will win this one hands down. Too bad I can't be at this game.

injuredinmelee
09-25-2006, 08:22 PM
I will probably go to this one but only to say hey to Bruce.

sweetwater07
09-25-2006, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I think Vernon vs. Clyde got just a many ( if not more ) votes than this one.

LHPM may also be looking at games down the road as a possible GOTW!

LOL....no i don't complain much.....but i just figured both of these teams are considered far from being powerhouses or anything close....so its kind of funny to see too little known teams at GOTW.....

sweetwater07
09-25-2006, 10:17 PM
i would look for Clyde to upset Vernon...i have faith in my Bulldogs!!!

injuredinmelee
09-26-2006, 06:54 AM
LOL....no i don't complain much.....but i just figured both of these teams are considered far from being powerhouses or anything close....so its kind of funny to see too little known teams at GOTW.....

Vernon was probaly second only to SLC as the cream of the crop in 3A in the late 80's early 90's. The Lions have only been down the last few years.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-26-2006, 09:32 AM
LOL.... too little known teams at GOTW.....

Wow the last time Sweetwater and Vernon played Vernon beat the Mustangs. That was in 2003 in the regional quarterfinal. That year Vernon won the Region. Little known? Surely you have to be kidding.

Snyder_TigerFan
09-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Wow the last time Sweetwater and Vernon played Vernon beat the Mustangs. That was in 2003 in the regional quarterfinal. That year Vernon won the Region. Little known? Surely you have to be kidding.

He was just a pup back then!;)

Ranger Mom
09-26-2006, 09:44 AM

Oh yeah!!! That was that 6 - 3 shootout, wasn't it??

My and Ranger Rebel went shopping in Lubbock and then went to that game that day!

Ranger Rebel was blamed for the loss by some "jokester Sweetwater Fans" because she was decked out in Greenwood apparal!!:D

sweetwater07
09-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
He was just a pup back then!;)

lol ...right!!...i was living in Cleburne during that time

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-26-2006, 12:14 PM
lol ...right!!...i was living in Cleburne during that time

Then why would you say that Vernon is a little known team? They have been a powerhouse in 3A for a lot of years. They are former state champions and were in the playoffs just last year. Over the past 5 years they have been to the playoffs 4 times beating very good teams such as: Kennedale, Decatur, Aledo, Sweetwater and Abilene Wylie to name a few. We were the DII Region I champions in 2003 and lost the regional championship game in DI in 2001 to Perryton.

I'm not familiar with Clyde's history but you should take note that Vernon has a rich football history.

Ok now you know.

ThE_OnE_lObOe
09-26-2006, 12:42 PM
you've got to be joking......Frenship vs. Wylie is this week..... I THINK THE CLYDE VERNON IS A BETTER GAME OF THE WEEK BECAUSE I THINK FRENSHIP IS GONNA BEAT WYILE BY 3 TDS OR MORE

Bullaholic
09-26-2006, 01:56 PM
Vernon by 14. I just think they are pretty good this year and will make the playoffs.

sweetwater07
09-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Then why would you say that Vernon is a little known team? They have been a powerhouse in 3A for a lot of years. They are former state champions and were in the playoffs just last year. Over the past 5 years they have been to the playoffs 4 times beating very good teams such as: Kennedale, Decatur, Aledo, Sweetwater and Abilene Wylie to name a few. We were the DII Region I champions in 2003 and lost the regional championship game in DI in 2001 to Perryton.

I'm not familiar with Clyde's history but you should take note that Vernon has a rich football history.

Ok now you know.

my mistake...i never payed any attention to football until i moved to sweetwater from cleburne that went 1-9 my freshman year...wouldn't even have wasted my friday night to watch.......so i guess i'm behind in 3A history....

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-26-2006, 10:32 PM
my mistake...i never payed any attention to football until i moved to sweetwater from cleburne that went 1-9 my freshman year...wouldn't even have wasted my friday night to watch.......so i guess i'm behind in 3A history....

Sweetwater and Vernon have had some very good football games over the years. The 2002 season Mychael Carrillo ran all over Vernon in the Bowl—probably had close to 200 yards rushing. Sweetwater won that game 27-21.

Sweetwater is a great place to watch football. I know the Lions respect that program immensely.

District 6 (with the new alignment) has some very good programs like Graham, Iowa Park, and Vernon. We also have had Childress (which is a dropdown to 2A now) and Breckenridge. All of these teams have had very programs year in and year out.

sweetwater07
09-26-2006, 10:36 PM
Sweetwater and Vernon have had some very good football games over the years. The 2002 season Mychael Carrillo ran all over Vernon in the Bowl—probably had close to 200 yards rushing. Sweetwater won that game 27-21.

Sweetwater is a great place to watch football. I know the Lions respect that program immensely.

District 6 (with the new alignment) has some very good programs like Graham, Iowa Park, and Vernon. We also have had Childress (which is a dropdown to 2A now) and Breckenridge. All of these teams have had very programs year in and year out.

over the past years i'm assuming that region I couldn't keep up with Region II & IV in the playoffs...seems as though the east texas and south texas teams dominate

Stownhorse
09-26-2006, 11:01 PM
over the past years i'm assuming that region I couldn't keep up with Region II & IV in the playoffs...seems as though the east texas and south texas teams dominate

They have more all around depth as to where we have 7 or 8 guys going both ways

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-27-2006, 11:23 AM
They also have a lot opf speed out East. Not that Sweetwater doesn't have it but Atlanta sure had it!

RMAC
09-27-2006, 04:52 PM
I say Vernon rolls in this one. And by the way they've been playing, I think I'll go ahead and call them outright champs in 6-3A, if not shared. What do you think Z?

Mustangpride09
09-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Vernon by at least 14.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
I say Vernon rolls in this one. And by the way they've been playing, I think I'll go ahead and call them outright champs in 6-3A, if not shared. What do you think Z?

I think they beat Clyde with no problem. This district is so tough I have no idea. I would say that Vernon should be a contender. But with our district it is anyone's to win-- you know how it goes.

VolcoM187
09-27-2006, 08:50 PM
This thread is about Clyde and Vernon, Why is it that Sweetwater always gets involved in just about every post??

sweetwater07
09-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by VolcoM187
This thread is about Clyde and Vernon, Why is it that Sweetwater always gets involved in just about every post??

i thought you knew Volcom....3A football revolves around Sweetwater..lol

welcome to the board..

use some polish remover..hahahahahaha

VolcoM187
09-27-2006, 09:10 PM
i thought you knew Volcom....3A football revolves around Sweetwater..lol

welcome to the board..

use some polish remover..hahahahahaha

Lets not get too cute there my friend and well thanx for the advice

sweetwater07
09-27-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by VolcoM187
Lets not get too cute there my friend and well thanx for the advice

i'ma scissor kick you to the back of the head volcom!!!....

who you going to the game with friday??

Stownhorse
09-27-2006, 10:58 PM
i'ma scissor kick you to the back of the head volcom!!!....

who you going to the game with friday??

Atleast yall get to go to the game! I gotta bust my tail workin.

VERNONLION#1
09-28-2006, 12:07 AM

Ok now you know.

Hey Z,
You sure sum things up well. I think this was enough said. Anyone who has followed 3a football knows this program.

BigAbe79
09-28-2006, 10:50 AM
This will be one heck of a game....the past two matchups between Clyde and Vernon have been as close as they get. Last year Clyde played Vernon to a stand still only to miss a field goal that would have won the game, then fall short in overtime. Clyde left the field listening to Vernon players telling them that they were now rivals. The year before that Clyde fell to a even better Vernon team 24-20. Clyde had a chance to win but fell short in the 4th quarter due to an interception in the last 2 minutes. This is a great nomination for game of the week, this is definetly the game to go if your in the big country area

GO CLYDE BULLDOGS!!!!

HAN SING
09-28-2006, 11:08 AM
If this game in Clyde bring lawn chair or els get splinter in rear.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by HAN SING

I know that's right!

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by BigAbe79
This will be one heck of a game....the past two matchups between Clyde and Vernon have been as close as they get. Last year Clyde played Vernon to a stand still only to miss a field goal that would have won the game, then fall short in overtime. Clyde left the field listening to Vernon players telling them that they were now rivals. The year before that Clyde fell to a even better Vernon team 24-20. Clyde had a chance to win but fell short in the 4th quarter due to an interception in the last 2 minutes. This is a great nomination for game of the week, this is definetly the game to go if your in the big country area

GO CLYDE BULLDOGS!!!!

Good assessment over the past two years. (I saw both of these games) Clyde has played Vernon close both times and actually could have should have won the game last year. (Clyde could not stop Vernon's running game in overtime).

Vernon has a much better team than the past two years. I'm not sure they are as good as the one from 2003 that won the region (my son's senior year), but they are for sure a better team than the previous two years. Head and shoulders better. I think Vernon wins big in this one. Nothing againt Clyde but Vernon was this close [ ] to winning last week with Decatur and about the same at Mineral Wells the previous week. Vernon could easily be a 3-1 team and on the radar of the AP pollsters.

Stownhorse
09-28-2006, 11:42 AM
The seats are 3 foot from the field of play.....you can have a convo with your bud on the team if you'd like...

Johnny Moxen
09-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Had it confirmed yesterday that Clyde's Qb has been lost for the year with a knee injury.

Sweetwater Red
09-28-2006, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
The seats are 3 foot from the field of play.....you can have a convo with your bud on the team if you'd like...

Right! The players gotta let up five yards before going out of
bounds to keep from running straight into the fence.

Stownhorse
09-28-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Right! The players gotta let up five yards before going out of
bounds to keep from running straight into the fence.

haha I remember Cunnings doing that the year before last! lol

RMAC
09-28-2006, 04:08 PM
I did that in 7th grade playing safety. That was our last game that year and we couldn't see anything it was so foggy. I literally couldn't see the RB in the backfield and had to listen for the snap.

Cback23
09-29-2006, 01:25 PM
It will be a close one but this is also Clydes homecoming

gobbler grad
09-29-2006, 05:40 PM
The Lions win this one by 21 pts...could be worse...:thinking:

Mustangpride09
09-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by HAN SING

LMAO