PDA

View Full Version : Who is your pick to win State in Divisions I & II?

Stownhorse09
09-25-2006, 11:22 AM
Who are your picks for the State winners in D I & II?

Stownhorse
09-25-2006, 11:23 AM
D I=Gilmer
DII=Sweetwater

Maybe WOS

Bullaholic
09-25-2006, 11:25 AM
DI- Gilmer
DII- Giddings or Cuero (Need a few more weeks to narrow it down).

tigerpride_08
09-25-2006, 12:22 PM
to early to tell...

LH Panther Mom
09-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
to early to tell...
Most definitely..... :)

Stownhorse
09-25-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Most definitely..... :)

Yea but its fun to ponder then see how close you were...

CHS_CG
09-25-2006, 12:51 PM
DI-Glimer
DII-Cuero

Snydertigersrul
09-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse09
Who are your picks for the State winners in D I & II?

Division I: Gilmer
Division II: Cuero

EricDraven
09-25-2006, 12:55 PM
I'd say Gilmer gets a ring this year in DI.

Sweetwater96
09-25-2006, 01:00 PM
DI = GILMER (they are GOOD)!
DII=Sweetwater :O)

pirate4state
09-25-2006, 01:04 PM
I agree to early to tell especially since there is a real possiblity that Cuero will go DI which will open up DII!!

X21AAAPlayer
09-25-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm reminded of a team, which will remain namless, that was supposed to be unstoppable and was very well undefeated until the championship game. Call me crazy but I see at least one of these divisions being taken by a "non-favorite" It's always fun to watch the underdog prevail!

greenpride
09-25-2006, 01:31 PM
D1 - Gilmer
D2 - Cuero (if healthy) Giddings

What do all of these teams have ----- SPEED!!!!!

GreenMachine
09-25-2006, 01:35 PM
Too early to tell about Gonzales. What's going on there? Cuero could very possibly go D1, then......buckle your chinstraps! :eek:

pirate4state
09-25-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by X21AAAPlayer
I'm reminded of a team, which will remain namless, that was supposed to be unstoppable and was very well undefeated until the championship game. Call me crazy but I see at least one of these divisions being taken by a "non-favorite" It's always fun to watch the underdog prevail! Oh c'mon spill it...it'll be fun!!! :D :D :D There have been so many of those "teams that shall remain nameless" out there. I wanna know which one you are talking about!! :D

texas'10
09-25-2006, 01:45 PM
D1- Gilmer for sure, how many NCAA DI signees do they have???
D2- WOS or Giddings, will be a good rematch

GreenMachine
09-25-2006, 01:48 PM
D1 Gilmer for sure???? I'll remember you said that. :D

Bullaholic
09-25-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by texas'10
[B]D1- Gilmer for sure, how many NCAA DI signees do they have???

Not as many as Pittsburgh, but more than Houston. :D

GreenMachine
09-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Man, Gilmer sounds like the best thing since indoor plumbing. Just not ready to annoint them yet :thinking:

STANG RED
09-25-2006, 01:59 PM
D1 - Gilmer (no brainer)
DII - Cuero or Giddings or WOS or Sweetwater or etc...etc...etc...
Probably Cuero though, if they stay DII. If not?????????????

Bullaholic
09-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
Man, Gilmer sounds like the best thing since indoor plumbing. Just not ready to annoint them yet :thinking:

I understand---and of course, you are correct, except with this Gilmer team I think they will have to play a really horrible game to get beat by anybody, currently. I don't think there is a "D" out there right now that can hold them under 35 points. Pure speculation on my part, and God Bless the Gilmer fans, they have to argue this every week over and over without being considered "big-headed".

SideBurnWillie
09-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

:clap: :clap:

44INAROW
09-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

But could they hang with the Kansas City Chiefs?:D

Tweeder215
09-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Ok so you can get on me for being a "homer" but this is honestly how I feel about it.

Abilene Wylie (if for no other reason than Hugh Sandifer)

Sweetwater

Tweeder215
09-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Hugh is the only man I can think of that might be able to find a way to beat Gilmer and I'm not ready to jump on the buckeye bandwagon just yet...

Mot'r Boat'r
09-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Tweeder215
Ok so you can get on me for being a "homer" but this is honestly how I feel about it.

Abilene Wylie (if for no other reason than Hugh Sandifer)

Sweetwater

you a west texas homer or sumthin???? those teams MIGHT be able to keep gilmer or cuero from scoring...oh abooouuuuutt.....70 points:rolleyes:

sometimes a good coach is stuck with a team of lesser talent than years past:D

manormustangs
09-25-2006, 02:47 PM
div 1.....wimberley.....they are healthy now and could give gilmer a run for its money......
div 2 .......giddings <------that was easy.

Aesculus gilmus
09-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
DI-Glimer
DII-Cuero

Glimer?

As in no one has a "glimer" of a chance of beating us?

More often we are misidentified as the "Gilmore" Buckeyes as I heard was the case with the program handed out in Daingerfield on Sept. 15.

Also, in East Texas dialect, we often pronounce the name of our town as "Gimmer." Lots of us have difficulty pronouncing the "L".

Buckeye80
09-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by manormustangs
div 1.....wimberley.....they are healthy now and could give gilmer a run for its money......
div 2 .......giddings <------that was easy.

Let me just say that I mean no offense to the Wimberley team or fans in saying this. I watched the Texans play Friday night, and they are a tough, defensively sound, physical team. IMHO, Gilmer would beat Wimbeley by no less than four touchdowns. It's just a matter of Gilmer's abundance of speed vs a Wimberley team that doesn't have a whole lot of it. Wimberley certainly would keep the game close for a quarter or so, but they IMHO would wear down like every other team we play who doesn't have a stable of thoroughbreds on the sideline.

DI Gilmer
DII Liberty Hill (Cuero will go DI)

pirate4state
09-25-2006, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
Let me just say that I mean no offense to the Wimberley team or fans in saying this. I watched the Texans play Friday night, and they are a tough, defensively sound, physical team. IMHO, Gilmer would beat Wimbeley by no less than four touchdowns. It's just a matter of Gilmer's abundance of speed vs a Wimberley team that doesn't have a whole lot of it. Wimberley certainly would keep the game close for a quarter or so, but they IMHO would wear down like every other team we play who doesn't have a stable of thoroughbreds on the sideline.

DI Gilmer

Homer! :p ;) :p

Nice DII pick!! :thumbsup:

footballgal
09-25-2006, 06:56 PM
This Gilmer team sure sounds like the best thing to come out of 3A. I would certainly like to see them play at least once this season.

wimbo_pro
09-25-2006, 07:11 PM
Buckeye80...nice to have met you at the game Friday night, and thanks for inviting me to the board. Now...to the football chat....

First, Wimberley is 99% sure to go D2 because of its small and weak district (4 teams) and the fact that Bandera is a larger school. The only way Bandera won't go into the play offs is if they get beat out by Ingram...SLIM chance of that happening, but stranger things have happened, right? Safe to say we wont meet up with Gilmer this year.

It is very true that up to this point we havent exhibited our best effort, its also true we dont have quite the talent on defense we had last year. But, I gotta tell you, what you said above about Wimberley is EXACTLY what West Columbia said, EXACTLY what WOS said...and almost word for word what Gainesville said. Every team mentioned WAS faster than we were, yet we still found a way to win.

Am I saying we will go all the way? No, I am not....not yet. I am just saying dont count us out just yet. We are about where we were last year at this point in time. If we continue improving like we have in the last 4 games...AND we tap into our "know-how" of what it takes to go all the way, I think we will be a team to make a great run at it.

#1Eaglefan
09-25-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm not saying Sweetwater is not a good team, because they are awesome. But why would so many people say Sweetwater and not Decatur? Remember, Decatur beat them pretty bad 2 weeks ago. Now I'm not saying Decatur would win, or even make it to the dance, but I would atleast think they would be mentioned considering how bad they beat Sweetwater. I'm not being a "homer" either. Decatur needs a lot of work before they could be considered a contender. I'm just curious as to why so many would say Sweetwater. Does Sweetwater have some secret weapon they're waiting to use in District and then the playoffs? What makes them such heavy favorites?:confused:

STANG RED
09-25-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by #1Eaglefan
I'm not saying Sweetwater is not a good team, because they are awesome. But why would so many people say Sweetwater and not Decatur? Remember, Decatur beat them pretty bad 2 weeks ago. Now I'm not saying Decatur would win, or even make it to the dance, but I would atleast think they would be mentioned considering how bad they beat Sweetwater. I'm not being a "homer" either. Decatur needs a lot of work before they could be considered a contender. I'm just curious as to why so many would say Sweetwater. Does Sweetwater have some secret weapon they're waiting to use in District and then the playoffs? What makes them such heavy favorites?:confused:

I'm not going to rehash this whole thing with ya, but Decatur did not beat Sweetwater pretty bad, however, Sweetwater beat Sweetwater something awful. I'm not taking anything at all away from Decatur. Yall have a very good ball club. But those 6 turnovers is what got Sweetwater beat so badly. Take those away, and I think you get an entirely different outcome. But Decatur did do a great job of capitalizing on a lot of bone head mistakes by Sweetwater, and thats what good teams do. All I'm saying is, at least see the game for what it really was, which in no way was reflected by the score.

Stownhorse
09-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I'm not going to rehash this whole thing with ya, but Decatur did not beat Sweetwater pretty bad, however, Sweetwater beat Sweetwater something awful. I'm not taking anything at all away from Decatur. Yall have a very good ball club. But those 6 turnovers is what got Sweetwater beat so badly. Take those away, and I think you get an entirely different outcome. But Decatur did do a great job of capitalizing on a lot of bone head mistakes by Sweetwater, and thats what good teams do. All I'm saying is, at least see the game for what it really was, which in no way was reflected by the score.

you beat me to it!

mustang04
09-25-2006, 08:47 PM

you beat s'water by what....2 touchdowns??? that is REAL bad lemme tell ya....look at the time of posession..i dont know what it is, but cuz of yall's lil pooch kick rampage haha, i bet yall had the ball alot longer than s'water

Snydertigersrul
09-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Hugh is the only man I can think of that might be able to find a way to beat Gilmer and I'm not ready to jump on the buckeye bandwagon just yet...

I don't know if Hugh can beat Gilmer, but I do know that he can beat Sweetwater.

Buckeye80
09-25-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
But, I gotta tell you, what you said above about Wimberley is EXACTLY what West Columbia said, EXACTLY what WOS said...and almost word for word what Gainesville said. Every team mentioned WAS faster than we were, yet we still found a way to win.

It's good to finally have some more Wimberley fans on the board. The Texans haven't had a lot of representation on here in the past.

Let me add one comment about your statement above, and I will leave it at that. None of the three teams from last year that you mentioned, had speed even close to what Gilmer has this year. LE had nothing I saw on Friday that would compare to what you would see against the Buckeyes.
But it's like you said. The two probably won't meet this year. You should be proud of the Texans though. Y'all have a solid club and shoud make a pretty deep run, defending your championship.:)

The Kracken
09-25-2006, 10:08 PM
i think its way too early to tell lot of things can happen and you just gotta stay healthy and get the breaks

sweetwater07
09-25-2006, 10:23 PM

amen to that

sweetwater07
09-25-2006, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
I don't know if Hugh can beat Gilmer, but I do know that he can beat Sweetwater.

watched Wylie against Graham and i have to say it was the first time in two seasons i have not been impressed by Wylie...honestly..Sweetwater's talent should win this game.....but Sandifer's godlike coaching could also win this game......seems the past two years we have gotten outcoached by Wylie.....
*not taking anything away from Coach J*

formermbcouns
09-26-2006, 12:14 AM
pretty easy...Gilmer...whether they go D1 or 2...the other winner is harder to predict I think.

Stownhorse
09-26-2006, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul

IDK but I do know sweetwater can beat snyder

Highschoolfan78
09-26-2006, 01:20 AM
DI- Gilmer or maybe Cuero (always depending on those apaches up north)

DII- Cuero (still depending on the "come and take it" town) or Giddings

Darren
09-26-2006, 07:18 AM
I'll take .....

DI --- Cuero if they go DI or Gilmer if not

DII -- Liberty Hill or possibly (Homer) Giddings

Just my Opinion...

LHPfactory
09-26-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye80

DI Gilmer

Just what I was thinking! You know your football :thumbsup:

LHPfactory
09-26-2006, 08:48 AM
Buckeye80...nice to have met you at the game Friday night, and thanks for inviting me to the board. Now...to the football chat....

First, Wimberley is 99% sure to go D2 because of its small and weak district (4 teams) and the fact that Bandera is a larger school. The only way Bandera won't go into the play offs is if they get beat out by Ingram...SLIM chance of that happening, but stranger things have happened, right? Safe to say we wont meet up with Gilmer this year.

It is very true that up to this point we havent exhibited our best effort, its also true we dont have quite the talent on defense we had last year. But, I gotta tell you, what you said above about Wimberley is EXACTLY what West Columbia said, EXACTLY what WOS said...and almost word for word what Gainesville said. Every team mentioned WAS faster than we were, yet we still found a way to win.

Am I saying we will go all the way? No, I am not....not yet. I am just saying dont count us out just yet. We are about where we were last year at this point in time. If we continue improving like we have in the last 4 games...AND we tap into our "know-how" of what it takes to go all the way, I think we will be a team to make a great run at it.

Last year wimberly had the most complete defense I have seen in a 3A school. the whole team played as one, like fabric woven in to a curtain (steel curtain?). I dont know how they have come togather this year, however, If the kids play anything like last year (given the heavy graduation of seniors), speed will hit a rush hour and that makes a porsche as slow as a yugo. We play them on friday in wimbo and I would like to think we will roll yall up, however, as I have said before wimberly over the last two seasons has been more successful at bridaling the three headed monster than any other team we have played...............Dont count Wimberly out.......they know how to win. :thinking:

griff
09-26-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by LHPfactory
Last year wimberly had the most complete defense I have seen in a 3A school. the whole team played as one, like fabric woven in to a curtain (steel curtain?). I dont know how they have come togather this year, however, If the kids play anything like last year (given the heavy graduation of seniors), speed will hit a rush hour and that makes a porsche as slow as a yugo. We play them on friday in wimbo and I would like to think we will roll yall up, however, as I have said before wimberly over the last two seasons has been more successful at bridaling the three headed monster than any other team we have played...............Dont count Wimberly out.......they know how to win. :thinking:

I wholeheartedly agree. When WO-S played Wimberley, WO-S had a clear speed advantage. However, Wimberley's defense always had defenders in the right place on almost every play. When you do that, you can overcome speed disadvantages, and that's exactly what they did to us. Our QB (Deon Beasley) was equally good at scrambling and throwing, but too often Wimberley cut off his running lanes and pass coverage was great. They won the chess match. We were outcoached in that respect. From what I've seen and heard, they played their best game of the year against WO-S. If their defense gels into what I saw last year, they'll be scary in the playoffs.

Darren
09-26-2006, 11:44 AM
I don't think that you can consider Wimberley without mentioning Giddings. Giddings has beaten 2 state ranked teams by at least 2 TD's.

And before you say it. Yes Giddings does rush a lot and not pass very much. And yes if you can shut down Brock you would give Giddings trouble. But it has been tried by Wimberley and Hutto and hasn't been completely achieved yet.

sweetwater07
09-26-2006, 11:51 AM
I'm not quite ready to jump on the Giddings bandwagon yet....not so sure...it is only week 5:thinking:

DaHop72
09-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
IDK but I do know sweetwater can beat snyder :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Great quote Stownhorse, me I don't know but I for one sure hope to find out. It would appear that my old hometown "the one that you and 07 call stankwater and want to leave so badly" will have a little harder road to the top this year. Fortunately the Mustangs have many great fans and supporters who will stand behind them.

wimbo_pro
09-26-2006, 07:36 PM
Darren,

I dont know anyone who is counting Giddings OUT. They are a better team than almost all in the region, and showed they are better than Wimberley (at this point in time, anyway). The only thing I say about them is their "one dimension" attack is more prone to being stopped than a balanced attack, such as WOS, Cuero, and yes, Wimberley. But we know it is Giddings that is a worry, not the other way around.

wimbo_pro
09-26-2006, 07:45 PM
LHPfactory and Griff,

You both got it right...its a team effort with Wimberley...totally. So far, we have been struggling to put it all together, but getting better each week. Can we get to the level of last year? Maybe...maybe....

Griff...good to see you here!

lostaussie
09-26-2006, 08:24 PM
i have avoided this thread for two days.............i think i'll keep it that way:D

wimbo_pro
09-26-2006, 08:39 PM
Oh come on now, LostAussie...everyone knows Gilmer should just be given the state trophy now and save us all the trouble!

lostaussie
09-26-2006, 08:41 PM
Oh come on now, LostAussie...everyone knows Gilmer should just be given the state trophy now and save us all the trouble! negative ghost rider..............nothing is free!!!!!!!!!

sweetwater07
09-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Great quote Stownhorse, me I don't know but I for one sure hope to find out. It would appear that my old hometown "the one that you and 07 call stankwater and want to leave so badly" will have a little harder road to the top this year. Fortunately the Mustangs have many great fans and supporters who will stand behind them.

lol Stankwater is right...though i have a right to dog on West Texas...i moved here from the metroplex.....and we do have a ridiculus number of fans this year...assuming Snyder makes playoffs we will look o send yall home around area..is it?

Buckeye80
09-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Oh come on now, LostAussie...everyone knows Gilmer should just be given the state trophy now and save us all the trouble!

C'mon Man! We have been dealing with that crap for about 6 weeks now. Nobody from Gilmer is accepting the trophy already. Nobody from Cuero is accepting the trophy.
It seems to me, in a very round-about way, that the fans from the other schools, in contention for the top spot in the state, are saying all this crap about the Buckeyes and the Gobblers out of fear of actually having to play either of them. Well, if we play our best ball, and you play your's, you will meet one, if not both Gilmer and Cuero. And then, things will be settled.
And just to be the antagonist, Wimbo, I'll say this. We've already taken down one defending 3A champ this year.:D

Technoredneck
09-27-2006, 01:28 AM
The only thing that makes them a favorite is the sheer number of s'water posters here. They seem to be the vocal majority, they believe if they are loud enough, it will be so, but time will tell. And I, for one, don't KNOW that the ponies can take the Tigers! I'll have to see it on teh field to believe it. Hopefully for all of is that is exactly where it will be determined!

STANG RED
09-27-2006, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by griff
I wholeheartedly agree. When WO-S played Wimberley, WO-S had a clear speed advantage. However, Wimberley's defense always had defenders in the right place on almost every play. When you do that, you can overcome speed disadvantages, and that's exactly what they did to us. Our QB (Deon Beasley) was equally good at scrambling and throwing, but too often Wimberley cut off his running lanes and pass coverage was great. They won the chess match. We were outcoached in that respect. From what I've seen and heard, they played their best game of the year against WO-S. If their defense gels into what I saw last year, they'll be scary in the playoffs.

Thats exactly how Wylie has beaten Sweetwater the last two years. They always seemed to have the right man, in the right position to negate our speed advantage. Great coaching can make up for a lot of disadvantage that a team my have on the field. Actually Wylie had some great athletes also. Couple that, with their great coaching, and we were fighting an uphill battle all night.

wimbo_pro
09-27-2006, 07:30 AM
Buckeye80..so has Giddings...beware!!!

pancho villa
09-27-2006, 07:53 AM
Div I Cueo, Can't be stopped

Div II Needville, Big, Strong, and Fast.

wimbo_pro
09-27-2006, 07:56 AM
Pancho...not so sure Cuero will be D1 this year. But Gilmer is 100% D1, or so I am told. But, it would be an excellent game!

pancho villa
09-27-2006, 08:00 AM
Cuero will dog stomp Gilmer.

wimbo_pro
09-27-2006, 08:05 AM
Uh-oh...that'll get some tart responses.

pancho villa
09-27-2006, 08:09 AM
Uh-oh...that'll get some tart responses.

Gilmer is over rated.

lostaussie
09-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
Cuero will dog stomp Gilmer.

Gilmer is over rated. And you have seen Gilmer play exactly how many times:thinking:

pancho villa
09-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
And you have seen Gilmer play exactly how many times:thinking:

Don't get your feelings hurt cause I'm right.

lostaussie
09-27-2006, 08:18 AM
Don't get your feelings hurt cause I'm right. there ain't nothing about my feelings that are hurt. problem is we will probably never find out. but if we do, we'll show up and we will be ready. then i hope you don't get your feelings hurt.

pancho villa
09-27-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
there ain't nothing about my feelings that are hurt. problem is we will probably never find out. but if we do, we'll show up and we will be ready. then i hope you don't get your feelings hurt.

Wow "we"ll show up and we will be ready" that is a classic.

sweetwater07
09-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Gilmer is over rated.

LOL...w/e you say there pancho

GreenMachine
09-27-2006, 03:05 PM
All I have seen of Gilmer was on the replay of DQ Big Game of the Week. That was enough! :eek: They appear to be all that is said of them. I, however, would love to see the Gilmer-Cuero matchup if Gonzales stubs their toe. Having said that, there is alot of football left and a lot of strong programs to get past from now through the playoffs. There are no guarantees that Gilmer or Cuero will even be there at the end. But, if all the cards fall right :thinking: