PDA

View Full Version : Giddings Football Predictions

Darren
09-25-2006, 10:31 AM
What are your opinions on where this team is heading.

With wins over Hutto and Wimberley has this team proven that it is the real deal. If not what does it have to do.

Adidas410s
09-25-2006, 10:37 AM
From all indications...Giddings is legit and should make a run deep into the playoffs. Are they likely to go D1 or D2?

Pudlugger
09-25-2006, 10:54 AM
DII as Bellville and Navasota are the big schools in D23.

texas'10
09-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Giddings will make a deep run into the playoffs. Last year they were DI and survived a long time, this year they are DII expect to see them for a while.

Phantom Stang
09-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Welcome to the board Darren!!
Are you a Giddings fan?

Crimestick
09-25-2006, 01:09 PM
WO-S will be DII also, so a rematch is likely. It looks like they don't throw the ball at all. If that is the case, it will hurt you in the playoffs.

greenpride
09-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Giddings doesn't need to throw the ball. Fitzhenry is so fast it just looks like he is throwing the ball to himself. I saw him run for a 60 yd touchdown against Wimberley.........no one within 15 yards of him once at the goal line. Speed to burn!!!!

texas'10
09-25-2006, 01:37 PM
Giddings can throw, but like greenpride says, they do not need to throw the ball. Fitzhenry is fast, and they have a big, strong, a decently fast running back. They have the strength and quickness to run the ball, but then they can throw the ball and catch the defense completely off guard.

catman
09-25-2006, 02:04 PM
If Giddings doesn't have to play Gilmer, they have a good chance to go undefeated. Their defense is much improved over last year. Offense too.

Old Tiger
09-25-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Crimestick
WO-S will be DII also, so a rematch is likely. It looks like they don't throw the ball at all. If that is the case, it will hurt you in the playoffs. It's not that they don't throw the ball it's that they can't. They have no skill at the reciever position and Brock well he should just stick to running. This is based off the two games I watched them play against Wimberely and Hutto. To make it to state you just can't run the ball 100% of the time anymore. You have to be able to mix things up a bit. I see them making it to the regional final or semi finals though.

Crimestick
09-25-2006, 03:55 PM
They needed to throw last year against us but ended up going 0-for-4 with one interception. They had almost 300 on the ground but lost by 21.

Old Tiger
09-25-2006, 03:57 PM
If the coach was super smart he would build some playaction screens out of the offense. Little easy dump offs that would screw the defense over if they didn't stay at home.

tiger_94
09-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
If the coach was super smart he would build some playaction screens out of the offense. Little easy dump offs that would screw the defense over if they didn't stay at home.

the season is real young, they have no need to show anything but the basics

Old Tiger
09-25-2006, 04:13 PM
They didn't show anything last year?

tiger_94
09-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Playoff game in Round Rock Fitzhenry threw 2 or 3 td passes.. they showed something then

Specklebelly
09-25-2006, 04:48 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Specklebelly
[B] Giddings had a better team and will again this coming year when they beat Bellville in district.

Dont count your chickens before they hatch!!!!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently you dont remember that QB running for 250 yards and 7 TDs. He'll be a junior. Ill take him and go out on a limb with Giddings. They'll be my pre season state champ pick.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-21-2006 10:00 PM

I originally posted this back in February in a thread entitled Bellville Basketball. Ill surely be here December, patting myself on the back, when Giddings follows through and wins it all.

ILS1
09-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
It's not that they don't throw the ball it's that they can't. They have no skill at the reciever position and Brock well he should just stick to running. This is based off the two games I watched them play against Wimberely and Hutto. To make it to state you just can't run the ball 100% of the time anymore. You have to be able to mix things up a bit. I see them making it to the regional final or semi finals though.

I agree with ya Tiger WR!! Once someone can hold onto the ball and contain Fitzhenry,it's over!!!

:D

Darren
09-25-2006, 05:23 PM
I agree that IF someone can stop the run Giddings is in trouble. But that is like saying if someone can stop Peyton Manning from completing a pass they could beat Indy.

I'm not saying that it can't be done and I agree that after watching the Hutto game Giddings could have thrown some screens or possibly a shovel pass or something. But from what I have seen so far is Giddings beating 2 state ranked teams with great defenses by at least 2 TD's. Hutto ran goal line most of the game and had one on one coverage on the receivers most of the night. With 9 defensive players in the box and a top ranked defense like Hutto don't you think they tried to shut down the run?

Who would Giddings have to beat before you agree that the run could win a state championship??

buffpride
09-25-2006, 05:28 PM
What people don't understand is that Giddings runs an option offense. So, consequently, you stop one then they hit you with another, you stop that, they hit with yet another, and the cycle begins again and you just don't know who has the ball or is getting the ball. Bingo!! Another TD!

Bull19
09-25-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
DII as Bellville and Navasota are the big schools in D23.

DIDNT YOU MEAN BELLVILLE AND THE LEPS?

Bull19
09-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Darren
I agree that IF someone can stop the run Giddings is in trouble. But that is like saying if someone can stop Peyton Manning from completing a pass they could beat Indy.

I'm not saying that it can't be done and I agree that after watching the Hutto game Giddings could have thrown some screens or possibly a shovel pass or something. But from what I have seen so far is Giddings beating 2 state ranked teams with great defenses by at least 2 TD's. Hutto ran goal line most of the game and had one on one coverage on the receivers most of the night. With 9 defensive players in the box and a top ranked defense like Hutto don't you think they tried to shut down the run?

Who would Giddings have to beat before you agree that the run could win a state championship??

I AGREE IF YOU CAN STOP THE RUN YOU CAN REALLY HELP YOURSELF OUT. FROM WHAT I REMEMBER FROM LAST YEAR THE BUFFS QUARTERBACK COULDNT THROW A FOOTBALL ACCURATE OR WITH ANY POP. BUT I COULD BE WRONG

Pudlugger
09-25-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
DIDNT YOU MEAN BELLVILLE AND THE LEPS?

I believe Navasota is bigger than La Grange whos enrollment is around 640. Navasota came down from 4a a few years back. They must be around 700+ now.

Pudlugger
09-25-2006, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by buffpride
What people don't understand is that Giddings runs an option offense. So, consequently, you stop one then they hit you with another, you stop that, they hit with yet another, and the cycle begins again and you just don't know who has the ball or is getting the ball. Bingo!! Another TD!

The option offense can be successfully defended. Why don't we see it in college much anymore? Because it can be stopped. You need speed and discipline to do so. The DE must turn the play in forcing the Qb a little upfield and to the outside while the OLB goes to the Qb and the safety takes out the pitchman. If the DE or OLB commits to the pitchman or fails to contain to the inside the Qb is gone. If the Qb and pitchman are faster than hot snot in a sneezing fit you can have a long day.

Bull19
09-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Specklebelly
quote:
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Specklebelly
[B] Giddings had a better team and will again this coming year when they beat Bellville in district.

Dont count your chickens before they hatch!!!!!!

Apparently you dont remember that QB running for 250 yards and 7 TDs. He'll be a junior. Ill take him and go out on a limb with Giddings. They'll be my pre season state champ pick.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-21-2006 10:00 PM

I originally posted this back in February in a thread entitled Bellville Basketball. Ill surely be here December, patting myself on the back, when Giddings follows through and wins it all.

DOESNT COUNT WHEN UR QB IS 5 YEARS OLDER THAN EVERYONE ELSE SO THE RUMOR SAYS

Bull19
09-25-2006, 06:36 PM
The option offense can be successfully defended. Why don't we see it in college much anymore? Because it can be stopped. You need speed and discipline to do so. The DE must turn the play in forcing the Qb a little upfield and to the outside while the OLB goes to the Qb and the safety takes out the pitchman. If the DE or OLB commits to the pitchman or fails to contain to the inside the Qb is gone. If the Qb and pitchman are faster than hot snot in a sneezing fit you can have a long day.

I ACTUALLY AGREE WITH YOU

Pudlugger
09-25-2006, 06:39 PM
See, that wasn't so hard was it?

Bull19
09-25-2006, 06:41 PM
See, that wasn't so hard was it?

DONT GET USED TO IT

wimbo_pro
09-25-2006, 07:19 PM
The only reason I would not predict Giddings to go all the way is because without ONE PLAYER (Fitzhenry), they are no where near the same threat. Yes, they have lots of talent, good speed on defense, and a punishing fullback. But just look at the stats....without the QB, they are a different team. Teams dependent on one strength so heavily dont usually make it all the way.

Pudlugger
09-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
The only reason I would not predict Giddings to go all the way is because without ONE PLAYER (Fitzhenry), they are no where near the same threat. Yes, they have lots of talent, good speed on defense, and a punishing fullback. But just look at the stats....without the QB, they are a different team. Teams dependent on one strength so heavily dont usually make it all the way.

16 games is a long season. In December the teams with depth and a variety of weapons have the odds of surviving in their favor. Good point wimbo_pro.

texas'10
09-25-2006, 08:24 PM
its obvious that if you can stop a teams main threat then you are in good shape. Yea and if you can stop a quarterback that is years older than everyone else, then you are in better shape

wimbo_pro
09-25-2006, 08:26 PM
Not sure I get your point on the "years older" thing.

texas'10
09-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Fitzhenry was supposed to be a Senior last year, if I am correct

RdaleBoi08
09-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Yea The Qb is supposed to graduated last year but when your the Head Coaches Son you can do about whatever you want.

Specklebelly
09-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
without the QB, they are a different team. Teams dependent on one strength so heavily dont usually make it all the way.

That argument is ridiculous. Didnt some team in Austin just win the National title in college football doing that exact same thing? If you can do it at the highest level of college football, Im pretty sure it will work in 3A football.

AHHHH, but that is EXACTLY the beauty of Giddings running what they run right now. You're right, nobody runs the option anymore. The spread is the new "vogue" offense that everyone wants to run. A team will play their 10 game schedule and see at least 3 or 4 teams lining up in some form of the spread. They have seen it and will have an idea how to defend it. Kids are going to run into the Giddings option not seeing it all year long and they aren't going to know what to do on the defensive side of the ball. They are going to make a mistake and that is when the option punishes you. You compound that with the fact that this QB runs the option about as well as anyone I've personally seen in 15 years, and that makes this team very dangerous. Hell Pud, you're from LaGrange. The option worked pretty well for ya'll a few years back.

sabre1
09-25-2006, 10:57 PM
Just because you haven't seen Giddings throw the ball this year doesn't mean they can't. Unless you go to the practices you will never know until it is too late.

And besides the run seem to work well against Rockdale last year. Sounds like someone is still a little upset about that.

sabre1
09-25-2006, 11:02 PM
QUOTE]DOESNT COUNT WHEN UR QB IS 5 YEARS OLDER THAN EVERYONE ELSE SO THE RUMOR SAYS[/QUOTE]

The fact that you made this statement shows your intelligence, or lack there of.

Pudlugger
09-25-2006, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Specklebelly
That argument is ridiculous. Didnt some team in Austin just win the National title in college football doing that exact same thing? If you can do it at the highest level of college football, Im pretty sure it will work in 3A football.

AHHHH, but that is EXACTLY the beauty of Giddings running what they run right now. You're right, nobody runs the option anymore. The spread is the new "vogue" offense that everyone wants to run. A team will play their 10 game schedule and see at least 3 or 4 teams lining up in some form of the spread. They have seen it and will have an idea how to defend it. Kids are going to run into the Giddings option not seeing it all year long and they aren't going to know what to do on the defensive side of the ball. They are going to make a mistake and that is when the option punishes you. You compound that with the fact that this QB runs the option about as well as anyone I've personally seen in 15 years, and that makes this team very dangerous. Hell Pud, you're from LaGrange. The option worked pretty well for ya'll a few years back.

True and the Leps have run it and defended it since 7th grade. I think they will be ready for the option come Oct 13 when they meet the Buffs for the big game [La Grange-Giddings is the longest rivalry in Texas football history I'm told].

The Leps adopted the spread last season. They know the option at least as well as the spread, if not better, having run it since they were cubs. BTW the 2000 Leps with Tye Gunn ran the option pretty well too. I'm sure you remember him though. The Leps won the Bellville game that year. The next year the Bulls beat the Leps. That was the last time the two varsities matched up. Another great rivalry.

Old Tiger
09-25-2006, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by sabre1
Just because you haven't seen Giddings throw the ball this year doesn't mean they can't. Unless you go to the practices you will never know until it is too late.

And besides the run seem to work well against Rockdale last year. Sounds like someone is still a little upset about that. I've seen Brock try to throw. His passes are ugly. He has NO arm. Joel Green is the reason he had the passing yards he had and guess what no Joel Green this year so no one to catch his ducks. This is coming from playing against him watching 3 games of tape and from 2 live games. So that is about 6 games of watching Brock and his arm is crap but the kid/man is a good athlete but he just can't throw.

Eagles52
09-25-2006, 11:43 PM
5 years older than everyone else in his grade? Are you kidding me? Why don't you act like an adult, and not attack a high school athlete. Sounds like some people have sour grapes about getting trampled by the Buff's rushing attack. I understand the point about needing more facets to the offense, and its a fair point. But until I see the running game stopped, I can't say much against it since it worked pretty well against some good teams. But the biggest reason that college teams no longer run the option is not that it couldn't be successful. NFL coaches came down to the NCAA and with them came NFL schemes. Couple this with advantage it gives to the collegiate athlete with NFL aspirations to begin getting accustomed to a Pro-Style offense as early as possible, and there you go. The guys with the most talent in college want to be a part of an NFL type scheme. I've heard numerous college coaches talk about how the option would still be effective if it were ran with the best athletes (i.e. '95 Nebraska Cornhuskers)

Eagles52
09-25-2006, 11:47 PM
And Brock's strong point may not be his passing, but you're exaggerating greatly in making it sound as if he's incapable of completing a pass. He is easily a more than adequate passer to be effective from an option-run offense with occasional passes just to keep the defense on its heels. From what I understand, its a lack of talent at receiver, not in Brock's arm that makes passing even less of a threat for Giddings this year

Old Tiger
09-25-2006, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Eagles52
And Brock's strong point may not be his passing, but you're exaggerating greatly in making it sound as if he's incapable of completing a pass. He is easily a more than adequate passer to be effective from an option-run offense with occasional passes just to keep the defense on its heels. From what I understand, its a lack of talent at receiver, not in Brock's arm that makes passing even less of a threat for Giddings this year It's both really. I have no beef with Giddings that is coming from a scout point of view.

buffalo2006
09-26-2006, 01:11 AM
5 YEARS? come on now, he didn't choose to be held back if his dad wanted to hold him back. I bet his dad woke up early one morning and said i'm gonna hold back brock so that when he is a soph in high school he will win the centex rushing title, or when he is a junior beat 2 of the top teams in the state. When Adrian Peterson was a freshman at Okla. do you think that he had to go against older people? So whats the big deal he got held back but quit all this age stuff and worry about who can play on Fridays and eventually Saturdays. If Brock went to a camp right now he would out work alot of people and that doesnt have to do with age that has to do with effort.

Old Tiger
09-26-2006, 01:24 AM
The Thorndale teams in the mid 90's had 20 year olds playing or so I've heard.

Crimestick
09-26-2006, 06:29 AM
The spread does seem the big thing now, but our area is deep in option-running teams. We're playing quite a few who run some variation of an option offense. Good practice if we both make it that far.

Darren
09-26-2006, 06:55 AM
By the way to clarify. Brock is an 18 year old Junior he was held back one year. Is that so uncommon?