PDA

View Full Version : The Monday Morning Quarterback

District303aPastPlayer
09-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Seeing as how district is starting up for some of the larger districts in the state, i figure now would be a good time to bring out the "Morning Show" or whatever. The thing we had with Leon about a year or so ago. Enter The Monday Morning Quarterback.

With district beginning very soon, what do you feel about teams putting together a Murderer's Row of a pre-district schedule? Do you feel that this gives established teams an advantage? Would scheduling 5 great teams, and possibly going 1-4 lower the confidence level of an up and coming group of kids?

Liberty Hill for example: Played Cuero, and what do they get for taking them the distance? A date with Wimberley. Then they head into one of the toughest districts in the state....

Discuss :)

AggieJohn
09-25-2006, 10:23 AM
it's worth it to have a murder's row in non-district, it makes you prepared to play your district

Bullaholic
09-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Coach Henson has always favored a pretty tough pre-district schedule for the Bulls. We don't get very high in the rankings early in the season, but have always managed to get into the playoffs and make a respectable showing. Sometimes we have entered the playoffs at 5-5 and everybody asks--"What are they doing here?" So, I think the harder schedule makes it easier for teams to adjust to the level of playoff competition, even though team confidence may suffer a bit early. IMO, many teams with "soft" pre-district schedules suffer the "one-and-done" reputation with regard to the playoffs.

BTEXDAD
09-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Seeing as how district is starting up for some of the larger districts in the state, i figure now would be a good time to bring out the "Morning Show" or whatever. The thing we had with Leon about a year or so ago. Enter The Monday Morning Quarterback.

With district beginning very soon, what do you feel about teams putting together a Murderer's Row of a pre-district schedule? Do you feel that this gives established teams an advantage? Would scheduling 5 great teams, and possibly going 1-4 lower the confidence level of an up and coming group of kids?

Liberty Hill for example: Played Cuero, and what do they get for taking them the distance? A date with Wimberley. Then they head into one of the toughest districts in the state....

Some of the really strong teams often have trouble finding teams that want to play them. Coaches really have to scramble in those cases to fill out schedule.
Bellville ran into that trouble after deep runs into playoffs for several years in past. That's why they wound up scheduling teams such as Marlin that were 2 1/2 hrs away in 2004 and 2005.
I applaud LH and Cuero for scheduling each other.

LH Panther Mom
09-25-2006, 12:31 PM
I think it depends upon "where" the team is. For a team who has not had much success in recent years, some confidence-builder wins against a couple of teams (even if a smaller classification) early in the season may help fire up the attitude of the kids going into district. For teams who have become accustomed to winning, and have success in the playoffs, scheduling the tougher caliber opponents will only make the team better able to compete later in the year.

SintonFan_inAustin
09-25-2006, 01:15 PM
does it really make a difference? How would u know they would go further by playing a tougher non district schedule and a soft one? i think u need at least one good challenge, just to measure how u fare with another good team and then some avg teams so u are able to run ur plays and get some work in, otherwise if u constantly playing good teams in the start of the season u dont get the timing that some plays need to develop so they can work against good teams also. So i dont think it matters how many or if any strong teams u play will make u go farther in the playoffs. you will lose or win it all no matter how ur schedule was. By Cuero playing a decent schedule, would it had matter if they played a soft one. no, they still be rank 1 and only thing that would stop them if they run into a better team.

big daddy russ
09-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Of course it all depends on the team, but saying that you have a team that is expected to make the playoffs I think the best thing you can do is mix and match.

Schedule maybe two toughies and two or three cupcakes. You don't want to go into district play with a bunch of kids who don't believe they can hang with anyone (if they go 1-4 or 0-5, they may lose confidence and "forget" how to close out games) and are banged up with injuries. At the same time, though, you want them to experience a high level of competition so they'll know what they're getting into when they get to the postseason.

big daddy russ
09-25-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
does it really make a difference? How would u know they would go further by playing a tougher non district schedule and a soft one? i think u need at least one good challenge, just to measure how u fare with another good team and then some avg teams so u are able to run ur plays and get some work in, otherwise if u constantly playing good teams in the start of the season u dont get the timing that some plays need to develop so they can work against good teams also. So i dont think it matters how many or if any strong teams u play will make u go farther in the playoffs. you will lose or win it all no matter how ur schedule was. By Cuero playing a decent schedule, would it had matter if they played a soft one. no, they still be rank 1 and only thing that would stop them if they run into a better team.
I definitely think it matters. Watch tape of the Ingleside/Cuero game from last year. The kids were definitely skiddish when they saw the size and speed of Cuero, and didn't really shake it off until the third quarter. If we had already went four quarters with a Cuero-type team, do you really think we would've been as timid coming into the game?

Not saying we would've won, but we would've made it a better game.

By the same token, look at what Billy Gillispie has done with the Texas A&M hoops program. He came in, started scheduling cupcakes in non-conference, threw a few low-level, major-conference schools in the mix, and look at what he has now. Playing the Auburns and the Penn States in the middle of runs against Sam Houston States and Canisius' gave the Aggies the spark of confidence they needed.

Like I said, it really depends on the team, but I still think it's best to mix some easier teams in with the tough ones.

SintonFan_inAustin
09-25-2006, 01:33 PM
So how would that matter if ingleside had face a team like that would they had got by Cuero. No. And where would Ingleside had find a team like that to play in the preseason, TM? Miller? PLC? as most likely if they go D1 that is same team u facing

big daddy russ
09-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
So how would that matter if ingleside had face a team like that would they had got by Cuero. No. And where would Ingleside had find a team like that to play in the preseason, TM? Miller? PLC? as most likely if they go D1 that is same team u facing
I didn't say they'd beat Cuero. I said they'd give them a better game.

And no, Ingleside didn't schedule any teams like that during non-district. That was the entire point of my post.

Phantom Stang
09-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I think it depends upon "where" the team is. For a team who has not had much success in recent years, some confidence-builder wins against a couple of teams (even if a smaller classification) early in the season may help fire up the attitude of the kids going into district. For teams who have become accustomed to winning, and have success in the playoffs, scheduling the tougher caliber opponents will only make the team better able to compete later in the year.
Yeah, what she said!:D

pirate44
09-25-2006, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer

it could catch on. but if youre gonna be the "host" youre gonna have to keep the thread going each day. otherwise its just another thread. maybe even throw in some commercials. you know: "this part of the thread was brought to you by pirate4state."

HipposGitErDun
09-25-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

What LHPM said. I think that is very true. Do you need to build confidence in a team that has not had much success.. or do you need to season a team that has been successful and needs to take the next step. It all depends on the program and where it is traditionally and perhaps the "age" of the players and their experience level.

RiverRat19
09-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Being from a small school (1A) in a somewhat remote location, we had a hard time scheduling competition in our classification in pre district without travelling a ways. We were able to compete and do well against an exclusively 2A pre-district schedule. It helped us down the road do very well in district.

I would have rather had it that way than playing a bunch of chumps before a tough district schedule; it made us better...

That being said, I have heard that a "thirds" schedule does the best. If possible, having a schedule that best resembles having an equal (or as close as possible) number of opponents who are of higher, similar and lower ability than your team gives opportunities to play the "big boys" and teams that you can and should beat. Gives the team a chance to get better by gaining confidence and experience. Just my two cents...

You don't get better by playing a bunch of cupcakes before going to murder's row in district... just setting up false hopes and promoting stagnation.

oldcrow
10-15-2006, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
it could catch on. but if youre gonna be the "host" youre gonna have to keep the thread going each day. otherwise its just another thread. maybe even throw in some commercials. you know: "this part of the thread was brought to you by pirate4state."

You need Leon to keep it real!

sweetwater07
10-15-2006, 09:43 PM
i think our pre-district really prepared us for district

Bull Butter
10-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Sinton has had a meat-grinder of a schedule thus far. And yes, it will prepare them well for future big games. But, aren't the Pirates pretty banged up right now as a result of it?

You have to schedule some tough teams in order to be battle-tested, but I wouldn't want to do it week after week. Along with playing the tough teams goes the fact that they are also more physical which makes your team more susceptible to injuries.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-16-2006, 01:21 AM
they are banged up and as long as they get into the playoffs it will help there, i know they lost two for the remainder of the regular season on defense, but not sure if they could be back if they get into the playoffs. They been without maybe their best rec. and last year all state DB now for the last two games and didnt look like he be ready for WO game either. They still have a shot at the district title but will have to win out.