PDA

View Full Version : Proof Most Americans, including myself are idiots, or poor

kaorder1999
09-24-2006, 01:04 PM
Last night I was driving through Mesquite and found a gas station with 2.09. I thought...hmm...tank close to empty...great opportunity here.

Well...the station which is pretty large had lines at each pump because of the price. Since every pump was being used so the pumps were pumping EXTREMELY SLOW. The lady in the station said the pumps were so slow because of eveyone using evey pump at once. Who knows.....

Well...no lie, I waiting for at least 20 minutes for the man in front of me to pump his 8 or so gallons into his Kia. At one point, since I could see his pump, I timed it and it was pumping at a rate of 1 gallon every 2 minutes. NOT GOOD!

I look across the street and the Gas Station there was selling for 2.19 a gallon. I thought to myself...nah...I have 20 -plus minutes invested, Im staying here.

Finally, it was my turn and I only have a 10 gallon tank and it took 27 minutes to fill it up.

So in all I was at the station for nearly 50 minutes for my 10 gallons of gas. If I went across the street and filled up it would have taken me about 4 minutes at the most and I would have only paid $1.00 more.

So, the real question is....Is 50 minutes worth saying $1.00 total?

My answer...of course not......I'm just an idiot!

Emerson1
09-24-2006, 01:06 PM
You probably burned that $1.00 worth just sitting in line.

kaorder1999
09-24-2006, 01:07 PM
actually...i thought about that so I turned off my car and listened to the Notre Dame Game on ESPN Radio

Old Tiger
09-24-2006, 02:09 PM
You could of bought a candy bar for 1 dollar :D

So yes it is worth it

kaorder1999
09-24-2006, 03:58 PM
but 50 mins?

PPHSfan
09-24-2006, 04:01 PM
I have said this before, along with taking about folks saving two cents a gallon on gas, and spending a three bucks on a bag of chips and twenty ounces of soda. LOL

bccards
09-24-2006, 04:07 PM
and to think I can drive into almost any station in Beaumont and get gasoline for $1.94 without waiting, lol.

Phil C
09-24-2006, 06:01 PM
HEY DON'T FORGET THE GREAT BENJAMIN FRANKLIN SAID "A PENNY SAVED IS A PENNY EARNED." :mad:

eagles_victory
09-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
HEY DON'T FORGET THE GREAT BENJAMIN FRANKLIN SAID "A PENNY SAVED IS A PENNY EARNED." :mad: were you with him when he said it :D

jk

PPHSfan
09-24-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
HEY DON'T FORGET THE GREAT BENJAMIN FRANKLIN SAID "A PENNY SAVED IS A PENNY EARNED." :mad:

In this case he earned about a dollar an hour. :D

Phantom Stang
09-24-2006, 07:56 PM
I think this serves as proof of why most American idiots are poor.:p

3afan
09-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
were you with him when he said it :D

haha - good one ...

Phil C
09-25-2006, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
were you with him when he said it :D

jk

No but I read it in the New York Papers at the time. :)

BTEXDAD
09-25-2006, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Last night I was driving through Mesquite and found a gas station with 2.09. I thought...hmm...tank close to empty...great opportunity here.

So in all I was at the station for nearly 50 minutes for my 10 gallons of gas. If I went across the street and filled up it would have taken me about 4 minutes at the most and I would have only paid $1.00 more.

So, the real question is....Is 50 minutes worth saying $1.00 total?

My answer...of course not......I'm just an idiot!

You weren't born yet during the "gas shortage" in the 70's, kaorder. We were idiots back then also.
Friends called friends on either regular phones (no cells) or CB radios to let each other know which stations even had gasoline then you sat in line for an hour or so only to have the pumps run out of gas before your turn came. Then you tried to find another station, while often you still had 1/2 tank or more.
Then suddenly, after prices got to desired level (for OPEC and oil companies) the "shortage" was over and I thought about how stupid I was for sitting in those lines.

kaorder1999
09-25-2006, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
You weren't born yet during the "gas shortage" in the 70's, kaorder. We were idiots back then also.
Friends called friends on either regular phones (no cells) or CB radios to let each other know which stations even had gasoline then you sat in line for an hour or so only to have the pumps run out of gas before your turn came. Then you tried to find another station, while often you still had 1/2 tank or more.
Then suddenly, after prices got to desired level (for OPEC and oil companies) the "shortage" was over and I thought about how stupid I was for sitting in those lines.

yeah...that had to be aweful!

spiveyrat
09-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD

sounds similar to how it was about a year ago in East Texas after Rita.

AP Panther Fan
09-25-2006, 10:26 AM
I had the same thing happen to me about 3 weeks (and $.40/gal) ago....I was passing through Robstown and gas was $2.51/gallon. While I didn't have to wait in line, each pump was being used... it took forever for the gas to pump into my tank.:doh:

I was still pretty proud of that $2.51/gallon gas though.;)

BTEXDAD
09-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
sounds similar to how it was about a year ago in East Texas after Rita.

I didn't even think about that.
I was able to sit on my patio in Bellville with brother in law, drink beer and watch people sitting in traffic. That was worse than the 70's stuff because lines weren't just at pumps, they were everywhere. Glad I didn't have to venture out.