PDA

View Full Version : Madison wins the South Dallas Super Bowl!

JR2004
09-24-2006, 12:42 AM
The 7 year streak is finally over and Madison is now once again the winner of the South Dallas Super Bowl by a score of 23-7! I don't think I've ever seen so many people at a game Madison was playing in. I believe that place seats around 15,000 or so. It felt so good to finally see those kids be able to walk off the field with a win against the neighborhood rival Purple Tigers. They held Lincoln to 154 yards of offense and Shawnbrey by himself had 151 yards of rushing and receiving and both a TD on the ground and another receiving where he made half of Lincoln's defense just look silly on his way to the endzone. Lincoln's offense had just 89 yards after that first scoring drive. The defense played their tails off tonight, that's for sure!

Shawnbrey actually got some help tonight from WR Willie Hutchins and TE Chris Mason. I don't think a player has ever shocked me as much as Mason did tonight. He's finally putting that 6'6 255lbs frame to some good use. I wish this would've happened a long time ago, but I'm glad that something finally clicked upstairs with him because Madison sure does need him to produce. And gosh it sure was nice to see Lincoln's fans headed for the exits early for a change as most of them began to head for the parking lot with about 10 minutes left in the 4th when Shawnbrey put Madison up 20-7. It was a beautiful sight to see that for the Madison fans who can still remember 3 years ago when Lincoln beat them 69-0.

Time to head back down to South Dallas now for the afterparty that probably won't end until Monday morning. :)

PS Nice meeting you tonight Gsquared. I think I'll have to take you up on that Gilmer offer when Madison's bye week comes up.

Aesculus gilmus
09-24-2006, 04:21 AM
Congratulations to the Trojans. Hope they keep it rollin'.

kaorder1999
09-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Madison is GOOD

Aesculus gilmus
09-24-2006, 01:51 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/09-06/0924madison.jpg
Madison's Chris Mason is tackled after a second-quarter gain by Lincoln's Brendan McDonald at John Kincaide Stadium.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/highschools/topstories/stories/092406dnspohsfblincoln.3291956.html

Madison ends 7-game skid against city rival

Tailback's two touchdowns help team pull away late for win

02:31 AM CDT on Sunday, September 24, 2006

By TODD JORGENSON / Special Contributor to The Dallas Morning News

Madison coach Ronald Johnson knows his team's good fortunes are directly tied to the success of his star tailback, Shawnbrey McNeal. The South Dallas Super Bowl is proof.

McNeal rushed for 94 of his 99 yards in the second half and scored both Madison touchdowns as his team pulled away late for a 23-7 win at John Kincaide Stadium, ending a seven-game losing streak in the annual crosstown rivalry.

In the first half, it appeared the Lincoln defense would frustrate McNeal, a Texas A&M recruit. Lincoln held him to 5 yards on four carries before halftime, after limiting him to 28 yards in two previous meetings. Lincoln (1-2) allowed only 13 first-half rushing yards overall.

However, McNeal started the third quarter with four consecutive double-digit runs, just as Madison's defense began to take control. McNeal's 5-yard touchdown helped seal the game midway through the fourth quarter.

"It's no secret. Everybody knows we're going to get Shawnbrey the ball," Johnson said. "We're going to ride that horse as long as we can."

David Garcia was perfect on three field goal attempts for Madison (3-0), including a 38-yard effort in the fourth quarter, part of 16 unanswered points for Madison to close out the win.

With the defense focused on stopping McNeal and the Madison rushing game, Madison turned two big pass plays into first-half points. McNeal scored from 52 yards on a swing pass from J.L. Wallace on third-and-long to cap Madison's first drive.

In the final 20 seconds of the first half, Wallace hit Willie Hutchins, who made a juggling catch at the Lincoln 5-yard line for a 49-yard gain on fourth down. The play set up a 22-yard Garcia field goal as time expired.

"This is major for our program to beat a school like that," said Johnson, whose Class 3A team has beaten three 4A opponents this season.

Lincoln was forced to play most of the game without starting quarterback Alonzo Shepard, who injured his ankle in a loss to Ennis last week. Shepard played one series but did not return, yielding to Trey Gaston and Jonny Carson.