PDA

View Full Version : classroom question

turbostud
09-23-2006, 08:34 PM
My son got a poem to read in his freshman English class at school that has a derogatory racial word in it. Did I miss something or is this normal these days?

Gobbla2001
09-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
My son got a poem to read in his freshman English class at school that has a derogatory racial word in it. Did I miss something or is this normal these days?

most-likely normal these days... this is a good thing, it's less wussy....

Bull19
09-23-2006, 08:39 PM
VERY NORMAL. IVE RECENTLY READ SOME THINGS FOR MY COLLEGE LITERATURE CLASS AND I DONT EVEN WANNA THINK ABOUT REPEATING SOME OF THE THINGS I READ

PPHSfan
09-23-2006, 08:39 PM
what word are you calling derogatory?

is it a word that we used to could say, but now we can't because of the PC police?

or is it a bad word?

turbostud
09-23-2006, 08:46 PM
The N word.

Originally posted by PPHSfan
what word are you calling derogatory?

is it a word that we used to could say, but now we can't because of the PC police?

or is it a bad word?

BreckTxLonghorn
09-23-2006, 08:47 PM
What's the name of the poem?

PPHSfan
09-23-2006, 08:48 PM
We read that word a lot when we read Mark Twain. It's just a word. It's how it is used that makes it bad or not.

turbostud
09-23-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
What's the name of the poem?

Incident
by Countee Cullen

PPHSfan
09-23-2006, 08:56 PM
I just read the poem.

I don't think it is used in a derogatory way as to the poem.
I think the poem says a lot about the word.

I think it should be fine to recite.

I don't see how anyone would be offended, except for someone who had used the word the same way themselves.

I don't think this poem would offend any particular race.

BreckTxLonghorn
09-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Incident
by Countee Cullen

The N word still causes a lot of sensitivity and hesitation in the classroom these days, and for good reason. It is a symbol of hate and, if used in a certain way, prolongs the separation of races. Even in my classes at UT, students were very hesitant to discuss and quote literature with the word in it (I majored in English, so I encountered it a bit).

However, it is an important part of our history. Before desegregation, nigger was a word of common lexicon. In many poems and stories it was just a common term, the same as the phrase 'black man'. PPHS pointed this out well with Mark Twain.

It's important to understand the history of our society and our literature in order to prevent the same mistakes from happening again. Cullen's poem is very significant as it shows how it was to be an African-American back then. I would sit with your son and explain its historical significance and how it was a symbol of what many blacks experienced during the time. Also, maybe show how poetry has changed since then. What may seem sophisticated now may not in 20 years (see: the 80s), and this poem is a great reference of our evolving society.

Long story short: It's a great poem, especially when the background of the word in it is explained with the context.

turbostud
09-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Thanks. I gradutated High School in the 80's so maybe thats why I was curious.

lepfan
09-24-2006, 12:05 PM
I used a worksheet in my history class about5 years ago (when I was in LG) It was from the textbook series. It had the word negroe (spelled that way) on a poster on the worksheet. It was a very good activity and I saw that it is no way was it used in a negative way....well I had a parent pitch a fit that "that" word was used. Never mind the concept being taught...or that taking that word out would change the whole concept of the worksheet. BUT, my principal was such a wussy he would not even let me meet with the parent to explain what it was all about...I think this parent would have been ok with it once it was explained. Point being: It it is just a word let it be....sometimes the "word" must be used to teach what is to be taught. We can not change history and some 'derogatory' words were once used...if we pull them all out of our lessons then we are trying to change history....and that my friends is a no no in my books.

DISCLAIMER: These are the opinions of lepfan and not intended to offend anyone. :)

KindaCool
09-24-2006, 12:14 PM
we read 'The White Hotel' in a college english class this summer - talk about a book that would cause fits at the high school level...

SWMustang
09-24-2006, 02:03 PM
I'm not sure why, but this thread and the thread about some high schoolers calling a player the N word kind of bothered me a lot today. I graduated in the '80's in Sweetwater (89) and I NEVER heard anyone in the stands or on the field say that word. Needless to say things were drastically different when I moved to Houston in 95.

It just made me wonder how is it that we appear to be going backwards? I know the stories and poems are well intentioned, but do they reinvigorate old stereotypes? Does the music of today where the word is blurted out at will make it easier for people to say it? I dunno.

GreenMonster
09-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
I used a worksheet in my history class about5 years ago (when I was in LG) It was from the textbook series. It had the word negroe (spelled that way) on a poster on the worksheet. It was a very good activity and I saw that it is no way was it used in a negative way....well I had a parent pitch a fit that "that" word was used. Never mind the concept being taught...or that taking that word out would change the whole concept of the worksheet. BUT, my principal was such a wussy he would not even let me meet with the parent to explain what it was all about...I think this parent would have been ok with it once it was explained. Point being: It it is just a word let it be....sometimes the "word" must be used to teach what is to be taught. We can not change history and some 'derogatory' words were once used...if we pull them all out of our lessons then we are trying to change history....and that my friends is a no no in my books.

DISCLAIMER: These are the opinions of lepfan and not intended to offend anyone. :)

I'm offended! I think Lepfan should only be allowed to post on our sister site Kansas3alowdown.net . It's the HS football message board version of hell. LOL! Hey Leppers, put a few box fans outside pointed south, we could use a little bit cooler weather. It ought to get here by Thursday or Friday.

AggieJohn
09-24-2006, 02:08 PM
My son got a poem to read in his freshman English class at school that has a derogatory racial word in it. Did I miss something or is this normal these days? i learned the most from the "birds and the bees" catagory in freshman and sophmore english...

PPHSfan
09-24-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i learned the most from the "birds and the bees" catagory in freshman and sophmore english...

If you had learned anything from that poem, your newlywed butt would not be spending ANY time on this message board.

Emerson1
09-24-2006, 02:12 PM
This is why I choose not to read in school. Why would I want to pollute my mind with that stuff when I have jackass to watch?

Stownhorse
09-24-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
This is why I choose not to read in school. Why would I want to pollute my mind with that stuff when I have jackass to watch?

Have you seen the new one?

SWMustang
09-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

LOL - ya know, you might be on to something. I bet you've degraded your mind less than if you'd watched brokeback mountain. Most definitely, some degradation has occured already..:D