PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer and Cuero....

mustang04
09-23-2006, 04:54 PM
both were mentioned by some sweetwater posters is the "Week 3 top 25 thread" and i am disappointed in the posts i read....they make it sound like Gilmer and Cuero are invincible...guess what...THEY AREN'T....i would love to have a chance at the top teams in the state (thats why i'm glad we played top ranked greenwood my senior year for our homecoming, sure we LOST....but it was a much better game than having a rinky-dink come in and just SLAUGHTER them) either way, don't be afraid to play certain teams. how are you going to know what your team is truly made of unless you put it up the best of the best???

ok...off that point..on to the next...

Gilmer.....i think they are on a level that is very hard to get to....i dont think Cuero is anywhere CLOSE to being as good as Gilmer...BUT! that doesnt mean that i don't think anyone can beat them...just means i know their opposing teams will have to try THAT MUCH harder to come out with a W!

Good luck to ALL teams for the rest of your season, whether its over in 6-7 weeks or 11-12 weeks!

NateDawg39
09-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Good point about making a name for yourself by playin the best!:) I bet Wimberley could hang with Gilmer more than any other team as of right now...Yeah in 04 my senior year we played some of the best. Wylie of course, defending champs Gainesville, and Graham. All were some of the toughest in Region 1. Its more fun when you beat the best.

Buckeye80
09-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
both were mentioned by some sweetwater posters is the

There is the key to it! I have yet to see anyone from either Gilmer or Cuero say that their team is invincible. All of the handing out of championship trophies is being done by fans of other teams.
I will be the first one to tell you that Gilmer can be beat. We are going to receive the "best shot" every team that we play can give us. That, in itself, makes us beatable! And by the same token, if we go through the entire season, unbeaten, the fact that we took everyone's "best shot" should provide some proof of how good this team actually is. And the exact same principle holds true for the Gobblers.

LH Panther Mom
09-23-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
I bet Wimberley could hang with Gilmer more than any other team as of right now...
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Old Tiger
09-23-2006, 05:07 PM
I don't knwo about Cuero but Gilmer is going to be one tough team to beat. They can score in so many ways. It's almost like Ohio State.

mustang04
09-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
There is the key to it! I have yet to see anyone from either Gilmer or Cuero say that their team is invincible. All of the handing out of championship trophies is being done by fans of other teams.
I will be the first one to tell you that Gilmer can be beat. We are going to receive the "best shot" every team that we play can give us. That, in itself, makes us beatable! And by the same token, if we go through the entire season, unbeaten, the fact that we took everyone's "best shot" should provide some proof of how good this team actually is. And the exact same principle holds true for the Gobblers.

i know yall didnt claim to be invincible..yall are a VERY good team and should be very proud! and its very respectable how humble your posters are about it too!

if someone knows they are good and are cocky, i dont really like it......BUT, someone else who already counts themself out without even trying is something i REALLY dont like....have faith guys, every player in 3a is a highschooler not a god...don't consider yourself beat before you even play someone! anything can happen on a friday night!

NateDawg39
09-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: Just because I like there name...Wimberley, I mean who wouldnt wan them to beat a great team like Gilmer! WIMBERLEY!!!

Buckeye80
09-23-2006, 05:15 PM
i know yall didnt claim to be invincible..yall are a VERY good team and should be very proud! and its very respectable how humble your posters are about it too!

Gilmer has a very, very, very good team this year. This team is one of those "once in a lifetime" teams where all the cards just fell into the right place. Every fan of Gilmer knows what we have this season, and they are all just so damn excited, they don't know what to say. Anything short of a State Championship will not go over well with the fans here, but we are trying SO HARD not to sound "cocky". We know extremely well what happens when you go into a game overly confident (Canton61-Gilmer58).

gobbler grad
09-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Cuero is not a healthy team right now...we are missing some key players ...like any other teams, you have to make adjustments...sometimes there good and sometimes they don't work out and you gotta find something else...Cuero can be beat and last night we got they breaks for a change...several people around me last night started bringing up our last minute losses in the past and sure it was going that way, just ended up different for a change...I don't agree with the polls, but we can't change them...your not #1 till you win the last one in December anyway...cant' say much for Gilmer, because I have never seen them play...I believe both teams will go deep in the playoffs...just to far away to say who will be playing in LATE December...anything can happen between now and then...:thinking:

GreenMachine
09-23-2006, 05:34 PM
We played Liberty Hill last night and they have one heck of a football team. That running game is AWESOME! :eek: Do I think we can beat Gilmer....Yes I do. I beleive in my team. We have the speed, determination, and heart. Saying that, I also know that we could lose to Gilmer. I am not that naive. It goes down to breaks in a football game with teams of this caliber. Take last night, LH fumbles the football late in the game deep in our territory. Our punter, trying to catch a low snap, puts his knee on the ground and negates a fabulous punt. Time runs out on LH on our ten yard line. Ten more seconds and the outcome could have been drastically different. So on any given night there are a number of teams that could beat anybody.

Buckeye80
09-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
Do I think we can beat Gilmer....Yes I do. I beleive in my team. We have the speed, determination, and heart. Saying that, I also know that we could lose to Gilmer. I am not that naive. It goes down to breaks in a football game with teams of this caliber.

And following that line of logic, who the hell says that we will even play each other? A possible matchup between the Buckeyes and Gobblers is still 13 weeks away! Both of our teams have a whole lot of work to do between now and them. I wish the Gobblers the best of luck this season! Hopefully, Gilmer makes it to the last game, and Cuero makes it to the last game, and if everything happens just right, they'll be facing each other in that game. That would be one fabulous spectacle! :D

crabman
09-23-2006, 05:43 PM
As far as playing tough teams, in Cuero's 2004 run they played West Columbia, Sinton, Wimberly, Palestine, and Abilene Wylie. Talk about playing the best. I don't think you could have had a tougher road to state.

As far as this year, when we scheduled everybody, they were all pretty good. Sinton, Bandera, Bay City, Liberty Hill, LaVernia, Stafford. As of right now, only Liberty Hill has brought their A game. Boy did they bring it! Reeve and the town honestly expected to be 4-2 going into district. They wanted some losses. They wanted some challenges, some gut checks. This is the first one we have really had. We will see how they respond to a close win as opposed to a loss, which it could have very well been.

Buckeye80
09-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by crabman
As far as playing tough teams, in Cuero's 2004 run they played West Columbia, Sinton, Wimberly, Palestine, and Abilene Wylie. Talk about playing the best. I don't think you could have had a tougher road to state.

As far as this year, when we scheduled everybody, they were all pretty good. Sinton, Bandera, Bay City, Liberty Hill, LaVernia, Stafford. As of right now, only Liberty Hill has brought their A game. Boy did they bring it! Reeve and the town honestly expected to be 4-2 going into district. They wanted some losses. They wanted some challenges, some gut checks. This is the first one we have really had. We will see how they respond to a close win as opposed to a loss, which it could have very well been.

Gilmer had a very big "gut check" in 2004 during the last game of the season. The Buckeyes had to come from behind and squeak out a 22-18 victory over a Pittsburg team that went 5-5 and got destroyed the next week by Atlanta in the first round of the playoffs. The Buckeyes, playing without their defensive captain (for whatever excuse points that is worth) were actually down at halftime and rallied for the win. Any given Friday, anybody can beat anybody! (Except for Gladewater Sabine! They're horrible!):D

Pudlugger
09-23-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
Gilmer has a very, very, very good team this year. This team is one of those "once in a lifetime" teams where all the cards just fell into the right place. Every fan of Gilmer knows what we have this season, and they are all just so damn excited, they don't know what to say. Anything short of a State Championship will not go over well with the fans here, but we are trying SO HARD not to sound "cocky". We know extremely well what happens when you go into a game overly confident (Canton61-Gilmer58).

This is class.:cool:

GreenMachine
09-23-2006, 08:09 PM
I know that we probably will not play, just responding to this thread. There are solid programs in D1 and D2. It will be a dogfight either way.

Bull's-eye
09-23-2006, 08:32 PM
I don't see too many teams that can out score Gilmer in a high scoring gunfight type game. I'm thinking a team like Giddings may have the best style of play to defeat the Buckeyes. A great running & clock controlling type team, that could keep the Buckeye offense off the field. A few early defensive stops or turnovers and a good job of keep away might do the trick.

gobbler grad
09-23-2006, 08:44 PM
you will not know till they play them either...:thinking:

GreenMachine
09-23-2006, 08:57 PM
So far....we've outscored everybody we've played :D

lostaussie
09-24-2006, 07:52 AM

unfortunately, they are out there................they just haven't found the downlow yet:D