PDA

View Full Version : Cuero beats LH 31-27...as time expires!

gobblerfan02
09-22-2006, 10:27 PM
What a game, the Cuero defense stopping the 3-headed monster at the one yard line to preserve the win as time runs out.... a classic!

gobblerfan02
09-22-2006, 10:35 PM
hats off to both teams, both deserved to win tonight as hard as they played....Deb, tell the boys that it could have gone either way and they shouldn't let this get to them at all, because dang....those boys can run!....i was there the second half and saw one of the RBs OUTRUN the cuero DBs!!! You don't see that too often....they will be a force to recon with when playoffs come around....are they going D1 or D2???...I wonder, hope we don't have to play them again because they should have beat us tonight!

Hupernikomen
09-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
What a game, the Cuero defense stopping the 3-headed monster at the one yard line to preserve the win as time runs out.... a classic!

Dang LH and the one yard line as time expires AGAIN!!!

Well at least it wasn't in the semi-finals this year.

Great game to both teams.

Tx Challenge
09-22-2006, 10:43 PM
Congrats to Cuero

I hope LH gets a rematch, These are two teams that are about as good as it gets. It hurts from the Panthers end but we went down fighting. Good luck to both teams. Your both class acts.

gobblerfan02
09-22-2006, 10:51 PM
Again, LH is the real deal...heck, they led the game prolly 80 % of the time...just came up a yard or two short of the W! Good luck to them next week vs. the Texans!

SpursFan
09-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Just got home from Gobbler Stadium!!!

Man what a game!!

Both teams played their hearts out!!

Both teams and fans are class acts!!

It was awesome, just happened to get caught up in the VICTORY LINE on the Cuero's side after the game. As the LH players walked past all the Cuero Fans were cheering and and patting them on the back congrat!!!Them on a great game.

Great sportsmanship!!

Hope to meet again in the playoffs!!
:)

Pudlugger
09-22-2006, 11:08 PM
Congrats to Cuero and hats off to LH for such a great game. Sounds like there isn't much daylight between these two teams. :)

44INAROW
09-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Congrats to Cuero and hats off to LH for such a great game. Sounds like there isn't much daylight between these two teams. :)

like Crabman said in an earlier thread, - play ten games against these 2 teams and it is either 5 and 5 or 6 and 4 - two great caliber teams!

Boosty_Hondo
09-23-2006, 01:20 AM
this was a great game i am glad i got to whitness it

LHMom
09-23-2006, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by SpursFan
Just got home from Gobbler Stadium!!!

Man what a game!!

Both teams played their hearts out!!

Both teams and fans are class acts!!

It was awesome, just happened to get caught up in the VICTORY LINE on the Cuero's side after the game. As the LH players walked past all the Cuero Fans were cheering and and patting them on the back congrat!!!Them on a great game.

Great sportsmanship!!

Hope to meet again in the playoffs!!

That is really nice to hear. It WAS a great game. A shame for LH that we didn't manage the clock better, but a great game none the less.

It was very disappointing loss - particularly for those who were also on varsity last year, but I think most knew they should leave with their heads held high.

PANTHERS - We are so very proud of you.
BRING ON WIMBERLEY!

And I agree that the fans were great. I was a little "nervous" about the Cuero fans on the visitor side but it was all good.

LH Panther Mom
09-23-2006, 01:40 AM
Wow! Panther players and coaches, you gave it everything you had. I know the defense had to be worn out after playing the whole 3rd quarter, but they kept after it. You made your statement tonight guys, and I couldn't be prouder. I think most everyone by now knows you're "for real". I remember reading "you can't stop what you can't catch" earlier this week. I guess it's a good thing no one told you guys that. ;)

Gobblers - congrats on the win! And in case no one has mentioned it.....Tre Gray is fast. ;)

Now on to Wimberley....show 'em you mean business.

LH Panther Mom
09-23-2006, 02:11 AM
I almost forgot.....

It was great to see everyone again tonight. And I had the opportunity to meet some new faces - catman and htowntransplant. Nice to meet you guys. :)

Boosty_Hondo
09-23-2006, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I almost forgot.....

It was great to see everyone again tonight. And I had the opportunity to meet some new faces - catman and htowntransplant. Nice to meet you guys. :)

wow wasnt nice to meet me fine i see how it is

LH Panther Mom
09-23-2006, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Boosty_Hondo
wow wasnt nice to meet me fine i see how it is
Oh, man! :( Sorry, I didn't mean to leave you off....but no one told me that's who you were. The pleasure was mine. :)

Boosty_Hondo
09-23-2006, 02:29 AM
lol its cool well ya i was the guy wearing the black shirt and camo shorts lol

Tiger Baseball
09-23-2006, 07:45 AM
Liberty Hill falls 10 yards short
Top-ranked Cuero survives Panthers
By Alan Trubow
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Saturday, September 23, 2006

CUERO — With 10 yards to go the clock ran out, along with a chance to upset the top-ranked team in Class 3A.

That's how close Liberty Hill was to upsetting Cuero.

Liberty Hill had the exact opportunity it was looking for Friday night at Gobbler Stadium, but with the game-winning touchdown in sight, the Panthers fell apart and Cuero celebrated a 31-27 victory.

The Panthers ran a sweep play to Brent Bode on first-and-goal from the 10-yard line with 23 seconds to play. It was stuffed.

So was the upset bid.

The Panthers never got off another play. They tried, but appeared confused while attempting to line up in the final seconds.

"If we would have snapped it, it wouldn't have done any good," Liberty Hill coach Jerry Vance said, "but we just didn't get the ball off."

Actually, the Panthers were even closer to victory than 10 yards.

Cuero punter Domingo Ruiz was ruled down while fielding a low snap — it appeared his knee wasn't on the ground — giving the Panthers the ball on the Gobblers' 17 with less than a minute to go.

Bode, who had 12 carries for 167 yards, had an 8-yard gain to the 9. Doug Allman followed with a 4-yard carry to the 5.

That's when it fell apart.

With no timeouts, Liberty Hill rushed to the line and was called for illegal procedure, which moved the ball back to the 10.

The Panthers (3-1) couldn't pull it out.

It looked as if they were going to until Fabian Olguin ran in a 1-yard touchdown with 4:31 to play to give Cuero a 31-27 lead. Earlier, Bode had put the Panthers ahead with an 84-yard touchdown run.

After the touchdown by Olguin, who had 21 carries for 135 yards, the Panthers were driving deep into Cuero territory when Doug Allman fumbled around the 20 with 2:16 to go, giving the Gobblers (4-0) a chance to run more clock.

Allman had 16 carries for 53 yards.

The Panthers still had one final chance. They just couldn't convert it.

Liberty Hill started strong. The Panthers took a 6-0 lead — missing the extra point — when Kyle Staton caught a 23-yard pass from Thomas Perrin to finish off a 16-play, 78-yard drive that took up the first 8:10 of the game.

It was back and forth from there.

After Cuero kicked a field goal, Dustin Gonzales returned a kick 89 yards to set up Allman's 2-yard touchdown run.

Cuero responded as Quincy Whittington hauled in a 24-yard pass from Kyle Noack, who finished 15 of 25 for 182 yards. The touchdown pulled the Gobblers within 13-10.

Liberty Hill came right back as Bode beat the Cuero defense to the outside and scored on a 20-yard run for a 20-10 lead.

Olguin brought the Gobblers back within three points with a 5-yard scoring run.

Find this article at:
http://www.statesman.com/news/content/sports/stories/highschool/09/23/23libertyhill.html

olddawggreen
09-23-2006, 08:15 AM
I almost forgot.....

Photos?

olddawggreen
09-23-2006, 08:17 AM
Congratulations to both teams, man it was exciting just following the up dates on here. What a game!:)

LH Panther Mom
09-23-2006, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Photos?
I have a couple on my camera from halftime. pirate4state has some also, and some from dinner at the Longhorn. Will post soon....

rundoe
09-23-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by LHMom
That is really nice to hear. It WAS a great game. A shame for LH that we didn't manage the clock better, but a great game none the less.

It was very disappointing loss - particularly for those who were also on varsity last year, but I think most knew they should leave with their heads held high.

BRING ON WIMBERLEY!

And I agree that the fans were great. I was a little "nervous" about the Cuero fans on the visitor side but it was all good.

rundoe
09-23-2006, 09:15 AM
Fantasic, Incredible game. I sit next to Deb at every game. She think I am wrong on every comment I make, of course, but I agree on the clock control in the last few seconds of the game. It was the difference. Hats off to both teams.
LH Defence, You guy rocked last night.

Paratrooper
09-23-2006, 09:21 AM
Congrats to both teams. That sounds like a heck of a game.

44INAROW
09-23-2006, 09:24 AM
I forgot to mention earlier, my ticket was drawn last night for the "autographed" football (also has a team picture on it) :) :) I am sure my son will proudly display the ball in his room as a rememberance of one of if not THE best ball games he's not only played in, but witnessed :inlove: My heart is still not back to a normal rhythm - I have seen ALOT of ballgames in my day - last night's game against Cuero and LH is probably the best football game I've ever seen!

SintonFan_inAustin
09-23-2006, 09:27 AM
wow, was passing the updates on this game at the Sinton game and most were shocked LH was winning. Great comeback win Gobblers and LH just falls short of coming back to win also.
Liberty Hill not region 4 right? hope not

District303aPastPlayer
09-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I forgot to mention earlier, my ticket was drawn last night for the "autographed" football (also has a team picture on it) :) :) I am sure my son will proudly display the ball in his room as a rememberance of one of if not THE best ball games he's not only played in, but witnessed :inlove: My heart is still not back to a normal rhythm - I have seen ALOT of ballgames in my day - last night's game with Cuero and LH Iis the best football game I've ever seen!

as i said last night, i rank this right behind the Midland High/Judson state championship game...

SintonFan_inAustin
09-23-2006, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
as i said last night, i rank this right behind the Midland High/Judson state championship game...
what? u forget the friday nights movie of the Odessa and Dallas Carter game as he comes up short as time runs out;)

44INAROW
09-23-2006, 09:42 AM

Now on to Wimberley....show 'em you mean business.

If Cuero was off this week, I'd be at this game. Texans coming off the big win against L-E and Liberty Hill =nuff said...... OMG - where is this game being played?

LH Panther Mom
09-23-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
Liberty Hill not region 4 right? hope not

No, Region III.

If Cuero was off this week, I'd be at this game. Texans coming off the big win against L-E and Liberty Hill =nuff said...... OMG - where is this game being played?
The game is in Wimberley.

gobbler grad
09-23-2006, 10:13 AM
good luck panthers...nice seeing everyone last night...told LHPM, not used to those kind of games this early in the season...takes several years off your life and I don't even have anyone playing...anyway, it was a great game and good luck the rest of the year...

I think Brent Bode is fast...

nice to meet Catman...you sure did drive a long way to see a good football game...hope your stay at 'The Broadway House' was nice...safe travels...:)

Daddy D 11
09-23-2006, 10:58 AM
that game was absolutly the best football game i've ever seen, hats off to Cuero on one heckuva win!

and does anyone know where Noack, Grey, Olguin ( spelling ) plan on attending college?

^ those guys can play..

District303aPastPlayer
09-23-2006, 11:00 AM
Noack is getting looks for 3 schools right now... 2 in Texas... one out of Texas...

Daddy D 11
09-23-2006, 11:04 AM
alright thanks...

Grey's not getting any looks? he is very, very fast!

District303aPastPlayer
09-23-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
alright thanks...

i dont know him that well... im assuming he might be...

pirate4state
09-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by rundoe
She think I am wrong on every comment I make, of course, ROFL! I heard!! That was some funny stuff!!! :D

LH Panther Mom
09-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by rundoe
She think I am wrong on every comment I make, of course,
Not EVERY comment. :p :D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
i dont know him that well... im assuming he might be...

I think that the only thing that would prevent Tre from getting any looks is his size, but that boy can flat out fly.

htowntransplant
09-23-2006, 01:44 PM
I almost forgot.....

ditto. nice to meet you as well as boosty, district303apastplayer (yet again :p ) and the founder of the downlow.....as well as old green, 44inarow, and others i cant think of at the moment.

pirate4state
09-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by htowntransplant
ditto. nice to meet you as well as boosty, district303apastplayer (yet again :p ) and the founder of the downlow.....as well as old green, 44inarow, and others i cant think of at the moment. I know we've already met, but geez...I did drive!!! :( :( ;)

LHPfactory
09-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Ouch! That hurt......, on the bright side our kids dont quit and i know it will make them more determined. . We play Wimberly this week and its been a couple of years since we have beat them. Cuero made us a better team last night and I cant wait to till 7:30 this friday in Wimberly...... Its On Now!!!!!!:mad:

Gobbler Fan
09-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
alright thanks...

one offer in the book's *Houston*

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-23-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
one offer in the book's *Houston*

Good for Tre. I hope he does well.

Old Green
09-23-2006, 06:24 PM
It was a great game last night. The utmost in sportmanship by both teams. Hats off to the Panthers and Liberty Hill fans. You guys were loud in your support for your team. I like that.:)

Old Green
09-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by htowntransplant
ditto. nice to meet you as well as boosty, district303apastplayer (yet again :p ) and the founder of the downlow.....as well as old green, 44inarow, and others i cant think of at the moment. It was nice meeting you too Htowntransplant.
It was good seeing LHPM, Mr.LHPM and Little LHPM again.
Finally got to Meet Boosty Hondo also, and always glad to see District303apastplayer,pirate4state and Catman who made the long trip down from Hurst.

htowntransplant
09-23-2006, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I know we've already met, but geez...I did drive!!! :( :( ;)

why yes of course. i feel stupid :(

Raider Nurse
09-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Wow!!!! What a game!!! Congrats to both teams! :clap: Go Lamar Consolidated Mustangs!!!!( My old Alma Mater) :clap:

catman
09-23-2006, 07:43 PM
I made it home about 3:30 this afternoon. I had a nice leisurely drive up to Schulenburg and then up Hwy 77 through Giddings and Waco.

I would like to say first that I enjoyed meeting everyone at the Meet & Greet. It is so nice to meet such special folks. I look forward to visiting with you the next time around.

Secondly, it was a very good ball game. I always seek out games between 2 good teams that is close and usually decided late in the 4th quarter. This one certainly filled the bill. These 2 might meet again in the semi-finals.

Third, I got to do some of my favorite things associated with a roadtrip. On the way to Cuero from Fort Worth, I stopped for lunch in Liberty Hill at Margarita's(one of my favorites). After the game I had a late dinner at Don Bravo's(another of my favorites). I spent the night at The Broadway House(a bed & breakfast right down the street from the stadium). I would recommend all of these establishments to anyone. I didn't eat at the Longhorn where the M &G was held, but the food that everyoneone had looked very good.

Raider Nurse
09-23-2006, 07:48 PM
I sure like your logo, htowntransplant!!!!!:)

MagicMan
09-23-2006, 07:58 PM
tre gray really isnt that small. he's a bit over 6'. college weight training makes everyone gain muscle. im sure D1 colleges are looking for the next steve smith as much as they are the next randy moss

Gobbla2001
09-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Nice meeting all of you guys I haven't met before...

Anyhoo, that was a heckuva game... both teams are better off from having played it this early in the season...

one thing I've always noticed about these LH teams is how all 11 players are going 90 miles an hour till a little bit after the whistle blows, you couldn't have asked for more out of these guys last night (well I could have, like fumbling 5 times so I wouldn't have been so damn nervous all night, jk)...

Liberty Hill traveled really well, they were loud as all hell, it was just a great playoff atmosphere for the meeting between two top ten teams...

Both teams played with class on each side of the ball, just a great game all around...

The Panthers need to hold their heads up high, they really brought it and left it all out on the field last night...

And way to go Gobbler D, that was an amazing effort you gave last night against a great offense...

And way to keep hammering at that endzone offense, you got it done when you had too...

Learn from this game and get geared up for the playoffs...

Gobbla2001
09-23-2006, 08:06 PM
And Liberty Hill's bringing a better defense to the table this year kids....scarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry (like LHPM's son, he's one scary lookin' kid)

Gobbla2001
09-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Ew and great job Fabian Olguin... looked great out there in the second half last night, possessed, the old Olguin from last year finally, what a great second half from that guy...

Old Green
09-23-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by catman
I made it home about 3:30 this afternoon. I had a nice leisurely drive up to Schulenburg and then up Hwy 77 through Giddings and Waco.

I would like to say first that I enjoyed meeting everyone at the Meet & Greet. It is so nice to meet such special folks. I look forward to visiting with you the next time around.

Secondly, it was a very good ball game. I always seek out games between 2 good teams that is close and usually decided late in the 4th quarter. This one certainly filled the bill. These 2 might meet again in the semi-finals.

Third, I got to do some of my favorite things associated with a roadtrip. On the way to Cuero from Fort Worth, I stopped for lunch in Liberty Hill at Margarita's(one of my favorites). After the game I had a late dinner at Don Bravo's(another of my favorites). I spent the night at The Broadway House(a bed & breakfast right down the street from the stadium). I would recommend all of these establishments to anyone. I didn't eat at the Longhorn where the M &G was held, but the food that everyoneone had looked very good. Glad to have you down for the game Catman. If I would have known you were coming down, you could have come by the house. I was off Friday and my house if only a Block and half away from the BRaodway Bed and Breakfast.

catman
09-23-2006, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
Glad to have you down for the game Catman. If I would have known you were coming down, you could have come by the house. I was off Friday and my house if only a Block and half away from the BRaodway Bed and Breakfast.

That would have been fun! The other 2 times I watched games at Cuero, I stayed at the Executive Inn and the Wildflower Inn B&B.

sweetwater07
09-23-2006, 10:29 PM
sorry if i'm getting soething started that has already ended....but i heard LH had Cuero SCARED!!!!

SpursFan
09-23-2006, 10:36 PM
I forgot to mention earlier, my ticket was drawn last night for the "autographed" football (also has a team picture on it) :) :) I am sure my son will proudly display the ball in his room as a rememberance of one of if not THE best ball games he's not only played in, but witnessed :inlove: My heart is still not back to a normal rhythm - I have seen ALOT of ballgames in my day - last night's game against Cuero and LH is probably the best football game I've ever seen!

I agree!! Best game I ever attended!!

Been to many over the years in the playoffs but I still can not stop thinking how awesome these kids played on both sides!!!

Best game ever!!!!

SpursFan
09-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by LHMom

BRING ON WIMBERLEY!

Have you ever seen a Home fan turn out like last night!! The Huge Cuero side was full and 2 sections on visitors side full of Cuero Fans. Awesome!! Great support!!

Most were probally pretty nervous like me as LH really never gave up and gave us a tough time all night!! Really this game could have gone either way!!

Once again way to go LH!! You have nothing to be ashamed of. You faught hard to the end and never gave up and showed great sportsmanship!!

PROPS!!!!!!!!