PDA

View Full Version : BASEBALL Let us have a report on ALL the dropdowns into 3A

Old Cardinal
01-08-2003, 09:27 AM
I know that Pecos and Jasper have good programs coming into 3A. Would folks around the State share the info on ALL the 4A dropdowns, so we can get an idea of how they might impact the overall picture?

Wtx_coach
01-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Hey Old Cardinal, yes Pecos shoul be real tough in basbeall this year, they have 7 returning starters from last years team who lost to frienship in the second round I think, they have some good pitching coming back and to me to should be one of the favorites in region 1.

ThaRealBulldog
01-08-2003, 06:35 PM
Carthage, were awsome in baseball we wreck every year.

pinecone
01-08-2003, 09:45 PM
When we dropped down into 3A we lost both the football coach and the baseball coach. They didn't want to be 3A coaches. We usually have good baseball teams, but with the coaching change, I don't know how the season will unfold.
I think we will be strong in track if Coach Weatherspoon can get his boys to stay interested.

j_dog
01-08-2003, 10:03 PM
pinecone:
When we dropped down into 3A we lost both the football coach and the baseball coach. They didn't want to be 3A coaches. We usually have good baseball teams, but with the coaching change, I don't know how the season will unfold.
I think we will be strong in track if Coach Weatherspoon can get his boys to stay interested.The new baseball coach, Shawn Mixon, is from Jasper and has very deep Jasper bb roots. He also did a very good job coaching bb over at Woodville. I expect that he will do a very good job at Jasper, especially with the talent he has returning from last year.

Old Cardinal
01-08-2003, 10:08 PM
I see there are SIX 4A dropdowns that made the Playoffs last year in 4A---Canyon,Pecos, Jasper, Paris North Lamar, Snyder and Tyler Chapel Hill...We know a little about Jasper(and they have a good Coach coming from Woodville)...Someone tell us about the others?...

<small>[ January 08, 2003, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

russ31
01-08-2003, 11:49 PM
I don't know much about the NL baseball team other than they were pretty damn good last year. Most of their studs are gone from last year, but they have one coming back in Casey Smith who pitched as a freshman last year.

russ31
01-10-2003, 02:40 AM
I have some info on North Lamar. Take it with a small grain of salt, because it's from a student at NL. They return 2 outfielders, one SS, one catcher, and 2 pitchers. Really talented at skill positions and have some depth, especially at SS/2B. Pitching could be a question mark, due to lack of experience, but have one returner Casey Smith who is tough sophomore and another sophomore who is fast with a nasty curve, but has grade troubles. He thinks we'll go deep in playoffs.

spiveyrat
01-10-2003, 01:04 PM
Shawn is Jasper's baseball coach? Well, I'll be. Good for him! He played 2nd string 1st base behind me when I was a senior. Did he play any college ball? If so, where?

spiveyrat
01-10-2003, 01:07 PM
Who was Jasper's baseball coach last year? Where'd he go?

fred grunden
01-11-2003, 12:19 AM
That Jasper BB coach was Mike Rogers. He went to Alvin. He had been in Jasper over 10 years (I think) and always had good teams.

j_dog
01-11-2003, 11:40 PM
fred grunden:
That Jasper BB coach was Mike Rogers. He went to Alvin. He had been in Jasper over 10 years (I think) and always had good teams.This is a bit off the subject, but it is funny how things kind of go round in circles. In 1963 Jasper had a really good pitcher named Phil Hennigan who went on to pitch 5 years as a reliever for the Cleveland Indians. He was so dominant that he would generally just pitch until Jasper scored. Getting a ball out of the infield on him was a rarity. Might be within the 7 innings, or later until Jasper scored. Didn't matter much, it was generally a Jasper win. He pitched against Alvin in the 3rd round or so against this tall flame thrower. Jasper won 1-0. Jaspers shortstop somehow got his bat in front of the pitch and the ball went out over DEEP centerfield, 400 plus feet. Alvin's pitcher, Nolan Ryan. Now, after all these years Jasper furnishes Alvin a coach to rebuild their program.

spiveyrat
01-13-2003, 12:51 PM
Oh, yeah. That's right. Thanks Fred.