PDA

View Full Version : Sam Houston State name change...

big daddy russ
09-22-2006, 03:31 PM
Any alums out there heard about this? I've been working on PR for Student Government here at Sam this semester and we've been trying to get the word out.

For everyone who doesn't know, SHSU is a part of the Texas State University system. For various reasons, ranging from economic to bureaucratic, the Texas State board of regents has been seriously considering consolidating their system and changing the names of all the branch universities. Other schools in the TSU system include all the Lamar campuses, both Sul Ross States, and Angelo State.

Many states have already done this. The University of California is the model that everyone else follows. Instead of having different names, everything is California-XXXX.

i.e.
UC-San Diego
UC-Los Angeles
UC-San Dominguez
UC- Berkley (the main campus)
etc.

Texas A&M and UT have already started bringing all their campuses into the fold. That's why we have UTEP instead of Texas Western and Texas A&M-Kingsville instead of Texas A&I.

Right now, we're fighting to keep our name. We don't care that we're a part of the Texas State system, we just want our diplomas to continue to read Sam Houston State instead of Texas State-Sam Houston. Some key reasons for this:

1. We're one of the oldest universities in the state (founded 1879-- the TSU system didn't even consolidate until 1911)....
2. Name recognition is huge. We change our name, people will start to forget about us...
3. ...particularly our Criminal Justice program, consistently one of the top three in the nation and currently ranked first.
4. The Dan Rather School of Communication is also one of the best in the region. Our Radio/TV program is ranked third in the state (only behind juggernauts UT and North Texas) and our entire Mass Comm Department is neck and neck with Texas State-- both currently ranked third in the state and fifth in the Southwest Region.
5. Finally, our education department is, and always has been, one of our strongest fields. Sam Houston State started out as Sam Houston Teachers College and has remained a top-flight school for education throughout the years.

Our name invokes not only a vital link to our history, but also a vital link to our identity. Especially in these particular fields.

Basically, the Student Government here at Sam is writing up a bill to be presented to the State Congress that would allow us to keep our name forever. Right now, we're trying to rally support from any and everyone possible. Whether or not you have any ties to Sam.

If you want to sign the petition or address a letter to either your or our congressman, PM me. Also, if you're involved with one of the SHSU alumni associations (or you keep in touch with other alums) let me know. I'd be happy to mail you a petition with a pre-paid return envelope (really, what's $.40 on the university budget?).

This is open for all Downlowers. We really do appreciate the support.

Phil C
09-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Unfortunately you are fighting a losing battle. :(
I am sorry.

AggieJohn
09-22-2006, 03:33 PM
that's one university who's name shouldn't change at all

big daddy russ
09-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Unfortunately you are fighting a losing battle. :(
I am sorry.
Not if we can get this bill passed at the state level, like we're trying to do. That's why we need this petition signed.

Bearkat
09-22-2006, 03:37 PM
I'll sign anything that needs to be signed. (SHSU 2001)

AggieJohn
09-22-2006, 03:38 PM
I hope you get this taken care of.

CHS_CG
09-22-2006, 03:43 PM
I heard that a few weeks ago on the news. I think its stupid.... my band director from high school went to SWT and he was very upset when they changed that to Texas State- San Marcos...

shankbear
09-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Sam Houston Institute of Technology. SH.....uh oh.

KindaCool
09-22-2006, 04:06 PM
tarleton state is a part of the texas a&m system, so it could essentially be texas a&m at stephenville -
but in the schools original charter, it says no name changes shall ever be allowed...

Maroon87
09-22-2006, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
I heard that a few weeks ago on the news. I think its stupid.... my band director from high school went to SWT and he was very upset when they changed that to Texas State- San Marcos...

I'm still bitter about Texas A&I being changed to Texas A&M-Kingsville. But at least my diploma says A&I....I got out 2 years before the change.:cool:

AggieJohn
09-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by KindaCool
tarleton state is a part of the texas a&m system, so it could essentially be texas a&m at stephenville -
but in the schools original charter, it says no name changes shall ever be allowed... smart old geezers

Old Dog
09-22-2006, 04:13 PM
Maybe someone from Tarleton State can advise.......they are under Texas A&M's oversite, but were able to maintain their name while many others (ETS, WTS, A&I, etc) could not !

Sorry AggieJohn & Kindacool, I missed your comments prior to pulling my trigger..................

KindaCool
09-22-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
Maybe someone from Tarleton State can advise.......they are under Texas A&M's oversite, but were able to maintain their name while many others (ETS, WTS, A&I, etc) could not !
Originally posted by KindaCool
the schools original charter, it says no name changes shall ever be allowed...

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-22-2006, 05:01 PM
I'm a SHSU grad and will PM you. Funny how the timing is. I have right here before me a letter from the University Advancement wanting me to donate money.

3afan
09-22-2006, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
U-Southern California

USC is a private school, its not part of the UC system ;)

big daddy russ
09-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
My bad. :D :D :D I'll fix it.

j_dog
09-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
Quiet Shank, ... down now.... :D

j_dog
09-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
I'm a SHSU grad and will PM you. Funny how the timing is. I have right here before me a letter from the University Advancement wanting me to donate money.
Yeah, send em a thousand! :)

j_dog
09-22-2006, 08:10 PM
russ, count me in! I will PM you.

j_dog
09-22-2006, 09:05 PM
tt

Tx Challenge
09-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
My bad. :D :D :D I'll fix it.

B.D.Russ Maybe we persuade them to change it to Oh, lets see...."Auburn of Tx" War Eagle baby!:D

big daddy russ
09-24-2006, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
B.D.Russ Maybe we persuade them to change it to Oh, lets see...."Auburn of Tx" War Eagle baby!:D
LOL. Hmmm, maybe your on to something.

Oh, and ttt.

Aesculus gilmus
09-24-2006, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by shankbear

This reminds me. I expected, when North Texas State University changed its name to the University of North Texas, that perhaps the call letters of the campus radio station would be changed from KNTU to K followed by the new name of UNT, but it never happened for some reason. :D

That was the first university I recall changing its name for "marketing purposes." Basically whenever schools do this, you realize they have a "Rodney Dangerfield" complex, i.e., they "get no respect at all."

Well, no, I take that back. Texas Western's change to UTEP predated the UNT thing. But I think that was because it joined the UT system moreso than it was ashamed of its non-prestigious name. North Texas didn't join any new system. It just changed its name.

Another school near here that changed its name because of joining a system is TAMU-Commerce. I still think of it as East Texas State and I don't see that the new name has added any prestige, but then I'm not an Aggie. ;)

raider red 2000
09-24-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by 3afan

U- University of
S- Spoiled
C- Children.

i saw some literature that they send one of my sisters a few years back, and it said many people call them that :)

big daddy russ
09-26-2006, 11:11 AM
ttt

For those of you who have already contacted me, I'll be in touch soon.

AP Panther Fan
09-26-2006, 11:37 AM
Here's the history of the Texas State University System....

Historical Highlights
1879 Sam Houston's Austin Hall, completed in 1852, is the oldest continuously-used state-owned higher education facility west of the Mississippi
1879 Sam Houston State created by Legislature as Sam Houston Normal Institute
1899 Southwest Texas created by Legislature as Southwest Texas Normal School
1911 System created by Legislature to control and manage the four state normal schools
1917 Sul Ross created by Legislature as Sul Ross State Normal Institute
1923 Name of System changed from State Normal Schools to State Teacher Colleges
1949 North Texas State, now the University of North Texas, given independent board of regents, separated from System
1963 Angelo State created from San Angelo Junior College and added to System
1969 Three of System components (East Texas State, Stephen F. Austin, West Texas State) given independent boards of regents, separated from System
1973 Uvalde Center created as upper-level division of Sul Ross, now known as Sul Ross State University Rio Grande College
1975 System's name changed from State Senior College System to Texas State University System
1995 Lamar University components added to System by Legislature

Oh and here is the rest of it:

About The System - History

The Texas State University System has a long and illustrious history in Texas. Beginning as an administrative means to consolidate the support and management of state teacher colleges, The System has evolved into a network of higher education institutions stretching from the Texas–Louisiana border to the Big Bend region of far West Texas.

Today nine System components offer a broad range of academic and career pathways. Throughout the System, you will find professionals committed to preparing students for working and contributing to an increasingly global society. The academic and professional programs offered will help them learn to make sound decisions in life and become assets in their communities.

Each university, college and institute within The Texas State University System is unique in its own way and is highlighted within this website. Additional literature is available from each institution, and contact information is referenced within each section featured.

The Texas State University System is governed by a nine member Board of Regents appointed by the Governor. The administration, which is headed by a board-appointed Chancellor, is based in Austin where it provides support to the System components and state government.

System enrollment: 70,000
System total operating budget for fiscal year 2005: $700 million
System total state appropriation for fiscal year 2006: $300 million

spiveyrat
09-26-2006, 11:43 AM
count me in! (1991 alum)

Bearkat
09-26-2006, 11:47 AM
So basically Sam Houston State University needs to fight for their independence from the Texas State Universtiy System.