View Full Version : Ryder Cup

kepdawg
09-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Can someone explain the format?

And what's with the matching outfits?

http://espn-ak.starwave.com/photo/2006/0922/pga_a_woodsfuryk_412.jpg

Adidas410s
09-22-2006, 01:01 PM
All of the US players will wear the same thing each round and same with the Euros.

On both Friday and Saturday, 36 holes are played. T

- he morning matches are called fourball (aka low ball). Each player plays his own ball all the way in and the team cards the lower score of the two balls.

- The afternoon matches are called foursome (aka alternate shot). Player A tees off and then Player B hits the second shot and they alternate all the way to the hole. In alternate shot, the one player hits all the tee shots on the odd holes, the other player on the even holes. For example, Woods hit tee shots on all of the even holes as all of the par 5's are even #'s (4, 10, 16, and 18).

- On Sunday, there are 12 singles matches played.

NOTE: Unlike individual match play events, in the team match play events such as the Ryder Cup, if the two teams are tied after 18 holes then each team is awarded 1/2 point.

Standings after Day 1:

Euro 5
USA 3

AggieJohn
09-22-2006, 01:07 PM
this morning they played a two team foursome.....

http://i9.tinypic.com/29e6icy.jpg

who ever shoots the best gets to go one up on the other and they go all the way to 18 and if your one up on another group, you basically get your team a point.

However, they will be playing four ball as well today....

http://i10.tinypic.com/2r3h2cj.jpg

played between two teams of two players each, but every player plays his own ball and for each team, the lower score on each hole is counted. Four-balls can be played as match play or stroke play.

Right now the american are down to the europeans by a score of 5-3

injuredinmelee
09-22-2006, 01:49 PM
The Americans will have to play better tomorrow to even the competition up. No one on the American side was able to putt this morning but Segio who cant putt ever on the tour was making everything this morning.

Adidas410s
09-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
The Americans will have to play better tomorrow to even the competition up. No one on the American side was able to putt this morning but Segio who cant putt ever on the tour was making everything this morning.

He's good with the flat blade one week in September every 2 years...

Phil C
09-22-2006, 01:52 PM
GO USA!

Adidas410s
09-22-2006, 01:53 PM
Phil...I'm surprised that you don't get into the Ryder Cup. Well you might...you just don't tell us all about it.

injuredinmelee
09-22-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Phil...I'm surprised that you don't get into the Ryder Cup. Well you might...you just don't tell us all about it.

too much volleyball and football for Phil to bother with a little Ryder Cup action. Sis anyone notice the poll on ESPN yesterday witht he three chices on if you cared about the Ryder Cup. It was a runaway that people didnt care one bit. I guess being in the business i care but I still wont watch it instead of football until sunday, but I hate pro football.

AggieJohn
09-22-2006, 02:22 PM
the americans tend to fall behind early in this competition

injuredinmelee
09-22-2006, 02:31 PM
just to let yall know... I play with the exact same irons and carry the same bag as Furyk. There isnt a better looking bag on tour!

Ok I know yall dont care but I am really bored and will be too ashamed to leave work this early. My guys would be spiteful.

shankbear
09-23-2006, 10:11 AM
The U.S. team is getting thumped. The Euros will keep the hardware unless there is a miracle. Not going to happen.

gobbler grad
09-23-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Can someone explain the format?

And what's with the matching outfits?

http://espn-ak.starwave.com/photo/2006/0922/pga_a_woodsfuryk_412.jpg

those are ugly...who picks those outfits...:thinking:

LH Panther Mom
09-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
those are ugly...who picks those outfits...:thinking:
I heard Mrs. gg bought a special someone one of those vests for Christmas. :devil: :devil:

gobbler grad
09-23-2006, 10:26 AM
that's about right...don't put it past her...:D

shankbear
09-23-2006, 10:26 AM
It is prolly why we are getting our butts handed to us. I would hate to have to look at my golf partner in one of those outfits all freakin day long. I would puke.

kepdawg
09-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Is the coverage on NBC right now live? It's pouring down rain.

injuredinmelee
09-23-2006, 01:51 PM
It isnt live. The matches are already completed for the day. Anyone else have dish network? I couldnt get the coverage on dish this morning but local cable subscribers got it. Im not happy. What am I gonna watch tomorrow?

shankbear
09-24-2006, 08:54 AM
It looks like the Euros in a donkey stomp over the U.S.A. in the final singles matches. We may be embarassed by the outcome this time. Oh well.

gobbler grad
09-24-2006, 09:33 AM
looks like the Americans are getting hammered today...Europeans will retain the 'Cup'...:(

KindaCool
09-24-2006, 11:25 AM
wow this years ryder cup was a tail whippin...

one of the best moments in sports this year though - darren clark's walk up to their final hole and winning his match...

GreenMachine
09-24-2006, 05:20 PM
I agree, I like Clarke. I think the Euros genuinely like each other and probably have a cold one together, while the Americans don't really associate with each other. IMHO.

football4life
09-24-2006, 06:14 PM
Dang another bigtime disappointment in world competition for the americans. I was very excited about this one, Lehman was working hard trying to get these guys on the right track. They played extremely well though, and the US missed a ton of putts. oh well, we'll just have to swallow this one with the rest of them.