PDA

View Full Version : Faceoff Friday (American-Statesman article)

LH Panther Mom
09-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Separation Saturday, move over: for high schools, it's Faceoff Friday
Hutto, Giddings, Liberty Hill, Wimberley and Cameron Yoe all face critical tests for 3A power positioning.
By Alan Trubow

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Friday, September 22, 2006

Separation Saturday . . . meet Faceoff Friday.

While district play is still one week away for most Central Texas schools, four games tonight will begin to separate the contenders from pretenders when it comes to Class 3A. It's a packed slate involving the area's five top-rated small-school teams, all paired against each other or other state-ranked teams.

It starts in Hutto, where Giddings — ranked No. 4 in Class 3A and No. 1 in Central Texas — travels to No. 6 3A school Hutto, a matchup of all-star quarterbacks in Brock Fitzhenry and Jeremy Kerley.

Not good enough? Then how about No. 10 Liberty Hill at Cuero, where the Panthers will grapple with the No. 1-ranked Gobblers?

Still not satisfied? There's also Wimberley — the defending Class 3A, Division I state champion — traveling to take on fifth-ranked Texarkana Liberty-Eylau. And Cameron Yoe, state-ranked in Class 3A when the season began, facing Lexington, which is ranked No. 4 in Class 2A.

"What a great weekend for football," Liberty Hill coach Jerry Vance said. "I'd love to watch Hutto slug it out with Giddings. I'd love to go and watch Wimberley play."

None of tonight's games will count toward who does or doesn't make the playoffs. But there's plenty at stake in terms of area bragging rights, state rankings and laying claim to who's No. 1 in Class 3A:

Giddings-Hutto

On the line: confidence.

These two programs used to square off in district play, with Hutto winning last year (20-12) and Giddings taking the game in 2004 (35-28).

Both have great quarterbacks (Giddings' Fitzhenry and Hutto's Kerley) and both have great linebackers (Giddings' Alan Dock and Hutto's Dylan Martinez).

Last year, Hutto gained a lot of confidence in a big win over Marlin early in the playoffs. The Hippos rolled all the way to the state championship game.

The Buffaloes (3-0), who already notched a win over Wimberley in their season opener, can further tighten their fictitious grip as the top small-school team in Central Texas.

"It's a big game," Giddings coach Derek Fitzhenry said. "It gives you a playoff atmosphere and gives you a chance to work on getting better against a quality football team. It's not going to make or break your season. It will give you an opportunity to make them better."

Liberty Hill-Cuero

On the line: history.

This is a rematch of last year's Class 3A, Division II quarterfinal, which the Gobblers won 42-14.

It's a different year, but the Panthers (3-0) are about to find out if anything really has changed.

Cuero (3-0) is used to going through the regular season undefeated. It seems like the Gobblers do it every year.

Despite putting up an impressive 84 points against previously unbeaten Gatesville last week, Liberty Hill has much more to gain from a victory over the top-ranked Gobblers.

"This is really the first time, this early in the year, we're climbing in the ring with a heavyweight," coach Jerry Vance said. "They are in the spot that we are aspiring to.

"I don't know if it's a make-or-break game for our season," he said. "I think I would rather look at it as a game where we can say, 'This is where we are, and this is where we need to be.' But there's no doubt a win would be a great confidence-booster."

And it would erase last year's painful playoff loss, though Vance said that's not a factor. "We don't talk about revenge here," he said. "This is a new year."

Wimberley-Liberty Eylau

On the line: respect.

Wimberley (2-1), the defending state champions, could use a big victory. A win would prove that the Texans' season-opening loss to Giddings was an anomaly, and that Wimberley's still a team to be reckoned with.

A loss? Well, the good feelings from last year's title would certainly be long gone after a second defeat in four weeks.

Cameron Yoe-Lexington

On the line: momentum.

Two weeks ago, the Yoemen — ranked among 3A's top 10 teams — suffered a heartbreaking loss to Gatesville. On the same night, Lexington — then ranked in 2A — lost 28-21 to Mart.

Yoe (2-1) dropped out of the 3A state poll but has garnered enough statewide votes to be tied for 13th this week. Lexington, thanks to losses last week by former No. 1 Crawford and former No. 2 Mart, jumped up two spots to No. 4 in 2A.

Tonight is a chance for both teams to shake off early-season losses and gather momentum as district play begins next week.

The winner puts the previous setback behind them. The loser has another one to deal with.

State rankings, momentum, confidence and history all are on the line tonight. That's the way it should be.

It's Faceoff Friday.

atrubow@statesman.com; 445-3959

AAS link (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/09/22/223a.html)

Bullaholic
09-22-2006, 11:17 AM
That's funny, LHPM---I sorta wrote a short version of this in my "Wk 3 Revealing" thread. :D